PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn & Suites or HoJo's?

luckyamber
04-19-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm visiting for the first time this fall and am trying to pick a hotel. I hear the Desert Inn is closer, but I don't mind walking if HoJo's is nice. (Although I may feel different at the end of a long day!) No kids just my hubby and me. We may want to swim once, but it's not really a big deal. We'll probably spend our nights at DTD. Is the walk about the same to both from DTD? Is one alot nicer than the other?

MammaSilva
04-19-2005, 05:15 AM
The distance is significantly difference....the DS&I is at most a 'block" (read two driveways) away from the cross walk, the HoJo is another 10/15 minutes ...further away. I have never stayed at HoJo's but it always gets great reviews from other padders. The pool at the DS&I is indoor and a bit on the 'smaller' side, not exactly postage stamp but not Huge either. The one negative I have to share is that the parking at the DS&I sucks! If you plan to leave the hotel in your car much you're risking ending up in an overflow location. The upside to the DS&I is that I received awesome customer service from them the two times I've stayed with friends and family.

luckyamber
04-19-2005, 05:18 AM
I'm probably not going to rent a car. Since we'll only be there for a couple of days we'll probably catch a taxi or something from the airport and maybe catch a Taxi to and from Medevil Times.

luckyamber
04-19-2005, 05:21 AM
also do I have to worry about getting bumped from DI&S into a different hotel? I here that happens sometimes around DL. I'd hate to get stuck a mile away without a car.

MammaSilva
04-19-2005, 05:29 AM
I've never heard of anyone getting bumped from either one ...not the HoJo nor the DS&I, the only one I've heard of having that problem is the Carousel Inn and after ONE stay at that property I'd reschedule my trip if that was the ONLY property that had rooms! As for getting to Medieval, there are buses that run from Anaheim to the MT's that are very affordable, my niece and her boyfriend did that one year so it's something worth checking into.

luckyamber
04-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Does DI&S have the hallways inside the buildings or outside?

adriennek
04-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Ok, Hojos is definitely a nicer property than Desert Inn & Suites. And this is coming from someone who encourages people to consider Desert Inn & Suites.

As Mammasilva said, the pool at Desert Inn & Suites is indoor, small, and not that great. The property isn't much to look at from the outside and the parking is rather limited. The advantage: you are RIGHT there. You really can't get much closer. It's not even a 1-minute walk from the crosswalk to the DI&S driveway.

If you're planning long days at the park and the hotel is only a place to sleep, I'd pick DI&S.

If you're a more leisurely paced person- we get up when we get up. If you plan to go swimming during your stay. If the ambiance of the hotel is important, pick the Hojos and prepare to walk a bit further.

Adrienne

adriennek
04-19-2005, 07:57 AM
DI&S has covered outdoor hallways.

Adrienne

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-19-2005, 12:21 PM
HoJo for sure! It is a bit farther of a walk but it is worth it. We had a really bad experience once at the DI&S, we will never go back...

DisneylandForever
04-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Hojo beats every other Harbor hotel. The DI&S has some nice mini-suites, but the HoJo is by far the better property.

And it's not a 10/15 minute walk away. I think that was a miscalculation. From DI&S to HoJo, it's maybe 5 minutes. And worth it!

IMO, DI&S is one of the top 5 hotels on "the strip." But, HoJo is #1.

luckyamber
04-19-2005, 12:59 PM
I think it's more important to me to be close. I think the walk in the morning from HojO's would be fine, but we plan on spending our evenings in DTD with a break inbetween and I think that the walk might make a little bit of a difference, plus my brother may or may not tag along and I can get a parlor suite at DI&S for about the same as an upgraded room at HoJo's. I mostly just want to make sure Desert inn and Suites isn't totally terrible.

MammaSilva
04-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Both times I've stayed I had the parlour suite and 'loved' the extra room and privacy. The bedroom had 2 queen beds and the bathroom with the sink area having the coffee maker....and of course a TV in that area, the "parlour" had another TV and the mini fridge and microwave with a sofa sleeper and coffee table....both rooms had individual air conditioner units. The Dennys is right next door for any middle of the night cravings and if your going to be doing 'evenings' at DTD the distance is the big difference!

DisneylandForever
04-19-2005, 01:04 PM
I think it's more important to me to be close. I think the walk in the morning from HojO's would be fine, but we plan on spending our evenings in DTD with a break inbetween and I think that the walk might make a little bit of a difference, plus my brother may or may not tag along and I can get a parlor suite at DI&S for about the same as an upgraded room at HoJo's. I mostly just want to make sure Desert inn and Suites isn't totally terrible.

Hmmm. I would still say go with the HoJo. But to address your last statement, the Desert Inn is a very nice place. Far from terrible.