PDA

View Full Version : BoLTMaN's Trip(s) report for DLR!

BoLTMaN
04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

Decided to put a little multiple Trip report together for you (several parts), seeing as I have been to DLR... Three times over the past two weeks.

First a little background... I grew up in Brea about 20 min from DL and probably have visited the park at least 40 times (use to be able to see the DL fireworks from our house until the trees grew up and had nearly ever Birthday party there as a kid)! We just bought the So. Cal AP's for the first time ever! My family is my wife and two boys aged 8 and 5! We now live in San Diego area my wife grew up in Idaho and moved to SD in 1988.

First Day....April 4th... Disneyland

This was the first day of our "Spring break" week, we drove up from SD and the traffic was horrible! It took at least a half hour longer to get to DL than the usual 1 hour drive! We got to DL at about 9:30 and headed to the M&F parking area (because we bought parking on my sons AP). We got to the DL park about 9:45am. After using our one-day passes (these are what you get before you get your real AP's that we purchased on the prior trip about a month prior) we headed to Buzz. Th line was short about 10 min. With my new found advice on point targeting (ie tri vs dia vs squ vs cir.. BTW this is shown on a graphics just before you get on the ride!) I was able to score about 180,000 or level 4, my 8 yr olt got 18,000 level 3 and thought he won.... great ride (2nd time) Didn't stop for pix.

Next... Star Tours... by this time the lines were forming. Took us a good 25 minutes to get on. Kids loved it. I enjoyed as well but can't wait for them to update the ride in 2007...PLEASE!

Now it was time to get oup real AP's... what a long process... it took a good 45 minutes of waiting in line to get our pictures. I asked if we could get and entry form for the May 4the preview and they said only on the website could you enter the contest. We got our thin plastic AP's and were off to....

Breakfast...

This is the first time we decided to eat breakfast at the park (thanks to the comments on this board) we ended up at the Carnation Cafe and just squeaked in for breakfast it was 10:55am. we were the second to last party to be seated for breakfast. The kids ordered MM waffles and I had the Chefs recommendation (eggs, bacon, Hashbrowns) my wife ordered as well (I forget what it was..sorry). Anyhow the brekfast was very good and the kids waffles were excellent (not greasy). My wife and I shared a coffee. THe breakfast was good and it was a good watching spot. I asked for the AP discount but this restaurant didn't offer any discounts :(

We then headed for the "New" Tiki-room, no dole-whip available that I could see, the family liked the show and prior the kids were all over the pre-show area mesmorized by the talking statues. They did a good job renovating the Tiki area.

We then sought out shrunken-head Ned too bad he was broken!

We then headed to Spash Mountain and my wife didn't want to get wet so my oldest son and I did for the first time ever... Single Rider!

It was great we litterally walked up and we're on the ride! This is much better than the 120 minute standby wait. Anyone over 7 years old can do single rider so if you have a brave kid..DO IT! My son went on the log ahead of me and waited at the exit. He said the people in his log were very nice to him and treated him as their own kid! We had a great time and yes... the twin seats in back are not used. We met up with my wife an younger son.. they got the autograph books signed in the meantime.

Then we headed to BTM... we tried the "goat trick" but it didn't work for any of us! Maybe y'all are drinky drinky before the ride...hmmm?

After that we ventured into the Petting Zoo... I never knew this actually existed until these boards. Pretty neat area with baby animals and two cows. I am really glad we checked it out.

The jumping-fish were going I saw all three.

We headed over to Haunted Mansion to see the new improvements.. Madam Leona now floats and I was finally able to spot the pellet gun hole in the glass overlooking the dining area... it's at the beginning of it.

We then headed over to Toontown for RR but it had just broken down so we went over to the bounce house and let the kids jump around. After that RR reopend it said a 45 minute wait but in reality was about 15... we enjoyed the ride.

We had to get our 50th hats for the kids... so we headed to the Mad Hatter in FL... got the kids thier ears with their names. We then headed over to the Matterhorn to ride the faster TL side. It was a gret ride and my sons said that that side was better than FL side!

Well we had to cut our first day short... WHY? Because my son (ironically) was doing a commercial audition in LA for Walt Disneyworld and the new ride (Demolitoin Derby?) at MGM studios. We haven't heard yet if he got the gig... probably didn't because it's been a while BUT you never know!(Yes he really does have a Hollywood agent and has done TV commercials and print ads plus tons of auditions (twice for Disney: Tokyo and MGM) one reason for the passes since we're constantly passing DL on the way to LA for his stuff)

We ate at Spires on the way back to SD after the audition... got back home around 9pm... then to bed to get ready for another day at the DLR!

(TO BE CONTINUED SOON)

Let me know if you have questions... I'll try to answer.

yellowrosedtxn
04-19-2005, 05:35 AM
After that we ventured into the Petting Zoo... I never knew this actually existed until these boards. Pretty neat area with baby animals and two cows. I am really glad we checked it out.

There's a petting zoo at DL? Could you tell me where it is?

Thanks.

BoLTMaN
04-19-2005, 09:10 AM
There's a petting zoo at DL? Could you tell me where it is?

Thanks.

The petting zoo is at Big Thunder Ranch... by Big Thunder Mountain. It has a pen with baby animals like sheep, goats and pigs. There are hand washing stations nearby. There are two solo pens holding a Cow in each and a small farmhouse. Kinda different for DL and a nice quite area to get away from the crowds.

yellowrosedtxn
04-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Cool! Thanks. I can't wait for the update on your trip report!!!

Earkid
04-19-2005, 09:25 AM
This is the first time we decided to eat breakfast at the park (thanks to the comments on this board) we ended up at the Carnation Cafe and just squeaked in for breakfast it was 10:55am. I asked for the AP discount but this restaurant didn't offer any discounts :( Well, they do offer a discount but it's only for PAP's and it's 15%, Sorry. Those Mickey Waffles are the best tho.