PDA

View Full Version : December/Christmas decorations?

SeansMom
04-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Okay...so I know we JUST GOT BACK...but our orginal trip had been scheduled for last December, not April, and we rescheduled due to an emergency. However, I'd really love to see the parks at Christmas and we're seriously considering a quick trip in December. I searched the threads but couldn't find anything relevant to the following:
1) When do they decorate the parks?
2) During December, when would be the best time to go, (other than avoiding December 23rd to December 31st, when every kid in the world is on Winter break)?
3) How short are the week-day hours in December vs. the week-end?
Thanks for the input...starting to save my pennies already :D

Earkid
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
OK, SeansMom, I'm not going to answer till we see pics of your last trip, :p just kidding :D

We always go around the first week of Dec. The decorations are up before Thanksgiving. You need to be aware that the park sometimes closes early for cast Christmas parties but that's only one or two evenings. There is also the candelight processional thingy which can bring on horrendously huge crowds. We have scheduled our annual Christmas-y trip for the week after Thanksgiving because we love to avoid crowds at all cost. I think the first full week of Dec. is when you will see some early closings for those cast parties.

Around this time of year, the parks are usually closed by 8 but remember, the sun goes down early so there is plenty of time to see the lights. Then, of course, Fridays and weekends the parks are open late again.

Disney Vault
04-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I would recommend the second week of December. The lines are so short and they have the parades and fireworks. The reason I wouldn't go the first week is because at that time they have cast member parties so the park closes early on some nights.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
We went last year the first week in November, and have the trip scheduled for this year the same time. The fireworks, complete with snow, start that weekend, and iasw is decorated then too! The tree is up and the crowds are low. It is a great time to go.

tinkluver
04-19-2005, 07:35 AM
2) During December, when would be the best time to go, (other than avoiding December 23rd to December 31st, when every kid in the world is on Winter break)?
Try checking out this page: http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm
Hope it helps some :)

SeansMom
05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
OK, SeansMom, I'm not going to answer till we see pics of your last trip, :p just kidding :D

We always go around the first week of Dec. The decorations are up before Thanksgiving. You need to be aware that the park sometimes closes early for cast Christmas parties but that's only one or two evenings. There is also the candelight processional thingy which can bring on horrendously huge crowds. We have scheduled our annual Christmas-y trip for the week after Thanksgiving because we love to avoid crowds at all cost. I think the first full week of Dec. is when you will see some early closings for those cast parties.

Around this time of year, the parks are usually closed by 8 but remember, the sun goes down early so there is plenty of time to see the lights. Then, of course, Fridays and weekends the parks are open late again.

Okay, just posted a pick ;) , and finally getting a chance to READ the boards! Anyway, how would I find out when the cast Christmas parties are happening? Would I know by the park hours posted at DL.com??
I am seriously excited to go again!!!

SeansMom
05-01-2005, 05:56 PM
We went last year the first week in November, and have the trip scheduled for this year the same time. The fireworks, complete with snow, start that weekend, and iasw is decorated then too! The tree is up and the crowds are low. It is a great time to go.

Hey, the first week in Novemeber is hubby's b.d. Sounds like a good reason to go! Thanks for that info...I didn't realize things were decorated that early in the season (guess it's kind of like all the stores...christmas season starts as soon as they clear the Halloween candy off the shelves...lol...)

stinkerbell
05-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Sometimes there are a lot of ride closures in November though.....we've been lucky on our mid-October trips, but November seems to get some major refurbs.

We've been the week after Thanksgiving (parks open shorter hours, but there were fewer people and shorter lines) and the week between Christmas and New Years (parks open later, lots of rain, bigger crowds that tended to leave in droves during the rain). We had a great time during both trips, and I actually think that the Christmas week trip was our best ever!!! Crowds and rain and all.....it was like this amazing extended Christmas and everyone was in this wonderful mood! It was so much fun!

This year, we'll be there December 9-14!! :) We're trying to avoid the cast member parties and the winter break crowds, but still get the Christmas stuff.