PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving to Toontown!

Pages : [1] 2

bradk
04-18-2005, 05:45 PM
I apologize in advance for anyone I may offend but I need to get this out of my system and if anyone can appreciate this, it has to be MP people, so this is more of a support thing than a gloat thing, but..

i just purchased 4 passes to mickey's toontown madness off of ebay (plus preferred seating for the DCA shows). i'm like beside myself. i wanted to get into it so bad but couldn't justify the $200-$300 more it would cost me to get a package just to get the pass.

i'm thinking i might use 2 of them for the 2 applicable days i'm there. probably overkill, but i figure if i miss one thing one day, i can make up for it the next.

i'm almost inclined to just give away the extra ones i'm getting (just afraid someone will take them and then sell them again and pocket the money), but i may not worry about that til i get back.

sdfilmcritic
04-18-2005, 05:47 PM
i just purchased 4 passes to mickey's toontown madness off of ebay.What is it? What does it do for you?

bradk
04-18-2005, 05:48 PM
it's a ceremony hosted by mayor mickey in toontown an hour before the area opens to the public. he makes you an honorary citizen, but i'm bringing my bags and staying!

sdfilmcritic
04-18-2005, 05:49 PM
:D I hope it's a memorable time for you. Don't forget to take a camera with you and get pictures so you can share the moment with all of us.

bradk
04-18-2005, 05:51 PM
granted i already had a 'nightmare' where i found myself in a particular attraction and just realizing i had forgotten my camera, i assure you, it's literally going to be attached to my wrist (i bought a wrist strap that's secured to the camera and my hand... as the salesperson mentioned to me, 'you'll lose your hand before you lose the camera')

sdfilmcritic
04-18-2005, 05:56 PM
Have you already been searching for a photo hosting website for your photos?

bradk
04-18-2005, 05:59 PM
yeah, see my sig, i'm using webshots. i already have a bunch of photos up there for from various other excursions, so i'll just be adding to that. altho the more i look at my photos, the more i realize i am at how bad i am at taking them.

Disney Vault
04-18-2005, 06:02 PM
yeah, see my sig, i'm using webshots. i already have a bunch of photos up there for from various other excursions, so i'll just be adding to that. altho the more i look at my photos, the more i realize i am at how bad i am at taking them.
Start a new thread when you get all those pictures to remind me. I can never get tired of pictures from Disneyland. :D

momton/o
04-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Bradk-

Is this the same early entry to Toontown that you get with the AAA package?

bradk
04-18-2005, 06:11 PM
yeah, normally booking a full vacation through AAA or DTC is the only way to get them.

sunfun94
04-18-2005, 06:14 PM
now that is cool... have a wonderful time! :fez:

momton/o
04-18-2005, 06:24 PM
I JUST (like 5 minutes ago) handed all my preferred seating passes to my neighbor who is taking her family there at the end of May. We didn't need them while we were there, we went mid week April 4. I would have gladly handed them to you, your advice (even though you didn't know) made our trip a wonderful experience.

Isn't there some way that you can book one night through AAA and get the early entry thing? The Toontown thing was fun. My son who is almost five has sensory issues and normally the characters scare him. But with the toontown early thing he took his time and Mickey was great with him. My son would now like to live in Mickey's house :)

bradk
04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
aww well thanks, but actually i don't care much for the preferred seating. i guess it might be nice, but i know i probably don't want to use it for aladdin (the other shows maybe). i definitely was going for the toontown madness aspect of it.

but to answer your question, no, i believe it's a minimum of 2 nights to collect on the package. believe me, i tried every possible configuration trying to minimize the cost. everything i did was like a minimum of $200 over how i had everything priced doing it on my own. and that was even with just staying at a good neighbor hotel.

i used to actually regularly check ebay for the passes, but had actually given up on the prospect since i didn't think anyone would actually sell their passes. then when someone mentioned something about a vip badge on here, i started searching on ebay for terms like 'disney vip' and i found the toontown passes :) so i owe whoever brought that up my gratitude.

that's funny about your son. i sent off a friend and her 4 year old daughter off to WDW this past weekend and even though her daughter could do without mickey and minnie (she's ALL about the princesses), i'm told she was prepared to move into mickey's house herself.

momton/o
04-18-2005, 06:50 PM
I really didn't know they were such a big thing. Is it the Honarary Citizen Pin you want, or the experience?

I see on your countdown that you are going to Legoland. Hve you been before?

bradk
04-18-2005, 06:54 PM
maybe both :) i'm definitely looking forward to the experience though. i like being able to do things outside the normal experience. i'm pretty much doing extra stuff at all of the locations i'm going to except the la / san diego zoo and legoland. and it'll be my first time to all the locations, i've been in northern california before, but this will be my first time in southern california.

jennia
04-18-2005, 06:54 PM
How cool that you were able to get the Toontown Madness passes in time for your trip!! :D You still have time to take some online photography classes before you go. Did you buy a new camera or just a spiffy new strap?

mkcbunny
04-18-2005, 07:40 PM
maybe both :) i'm definitely looking forward to the experience though. i like being able to do things outside the normal experience. i'm pretty much doing extra stuff at all of the locations i'm going to except the la / san diego zoo and legoland. and it'll be my first time to all the locations, i've been in northern california before, but this will be my first time in southern california.

You probably have all you need to know about the SD Zoo, but the most important piece of advice there is go early. Just like Disneyland and any other park, it gets busy later. And it gets REALLY busy because it's right in the park there and so easily accessible. You've clearly been to lots of zoos and know animal patterns; it's the people patterns you have to plan for. :) Same for the WAP. Go first thing.

bradk
04-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Did you buy a new camera or just a spiffy new strap?

just the strap. this particular camera i've had for almost a year and a half now i think. it's been good to me. i've learned a lot just from using it (like never take just one picture of anything). what i keep forgetting is to use the flash (outside of attractions of course) because i still think i can manage to take a decent picture without it (i hate what the flash does to the color). meanwhile i have terrible dexterity. i don't think i'll be lugging a tripod into DLR either (mine's too big anyway, i'd have to buy another one and i've already spent enough investing in the trip - or so i keep trying to tell myself).

You probably have all you need to know about the SD Zoo, but the most important piece of advice there is go early. Just like Disneyland and any other park, it gets busy later. And it gets REALLY busy because it's right in the park there and so easily accessible...Same for the WAP. Go first thing.

the only thing i'm certain of when it comes to the SD zoo is that it intimidates me. i've allowed 2 days for it just in case i need to go back (although my contigency plan is to just visit some museums in balboa park if i don't need that extra day, so all's not lost). i'm definitely planning on being everywhere first thing (which is remarkably 'simple' since i'll be relying on mass transit), especially since most places seem to like to close by 5 or 6.

Tinker Bell
04-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Disney needs to make and AP toontown madness. I would love to take my little girl but I live 15 min from DL so no need for hotel.I have spent the past week looking for a hopper tix for her 3rd Birthday that comes with toontown but have not been able to find it. I plan on up grading her after to an AP like me. We go so offten.

mkcbunny
04-18-2005, 08:34 PM
the only thing i'm certain of when it comes to the SD zoo is that it intimidates me. i've allowed 2 days for it just in case i need to go back (although my contigency plan is to just visit some museums in balboa park if i don't need that extra day, so all's not lost).

It's big. And it's hilly! Imagine trekking all around DL but with steep hills. They do have escalators in spots, though. Lots of nooks and crannies. I never feel like I have seen enough. The E-ticket animals, in terms of lines and such, are the pandas, the polar bears, and the tigers. All are worth it, and the panda line moves because they make you move along. People crowd the polar area though. I haven't hit the reptiles in a while, but my recollection is that it was always super busy.

Short game plan recommended: Map out the animals you really need to see for Day 1 and you can go back for Day 2 if you want to see more. Head to the back "left" corner of the park where the poar bears are, then work your way to the pandas and whatever else you need to see. If you like birds, the aviaries are pretty cool, and they are good for getting away from humans, too. The upper walk where the hoofed animals reside is older and more confined for the animals, but it's less traveled by people, so if you like zebras and gazelles and such, it's a nice peaceful walk. The tiger area is the "new" big-cat area; the panthers and such are still in depressing old cages, so you can probably do without that area. I'll stop now before the DLR crowd gets bored. :)

As for museums, there are some very cool ones in the park, so you won't be at a loss for things to do. And at least at the zoo, there are not, with the exception of the pandas, lines to get in. You can wander wherever you like and see what you want. The problem is seeing when there are a bunch of people crowding in front of you at the tiger window.

jennia
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I moved from San Diego in the summer of 2000 so my SD area theme park knowledge is a bit rusty but I **do** remember this about WAP, SD Zoo and LegoLand- they all have hilly terrain. You'll want your shoes for those days to be *extra* comfy!!! LA Zoo isn't on the flat lands either for that matter!!

My favorite at the SD Zoo used to be the giant pandas. My favorite at WAP are the butterfly enclosure and feeding the lorikeets. Legoland is **full** of photo ops. I haven't been there in ages but we used to go a lot. We had just moved to San Diego when the park opened, DS was 5 and a Lego maniac so we did the AP thing!! Please let us know how the new rides are. DS got a free pass with his Lego club membership so I know we're headed down that way this summer.

bradk
04-18-2005, 11:41 PM
:) well thank you both, much appreciated.

tinkluver
04-19-2005, 07:30 AM
i just purchased 4 passes to mickey's toontown madness off of ebay (plus preferred seating for the DCA shows). i'm like beside myself. i wanted to get into it so bad but couldn't justify the $200-$300 more it would cost me to get a package just to get the pass.
I hope the passes you got weren't too expensive. It's a cute, fun little show- but defiantly not worth $200 if you don't need all the other stuff in the package. It's definately geared towards the little tikes. But fun to see at least once (even as a big "kid")

bradk
04-19-2005, 07:39 AM
nah, i was prepared to pay a lot more than i did actually. i was very happy with the end result. i'm completely ecstatic about it.

there were actually 3 total auctions for them last night (2 were from the same person). the most expensive auction included 3 partially used hoppers (1 day left) with the ESPN cards in addition to the toontown passes.

so they do come up on there. very rarely i'm sure, but you never know.

sunnyca
04-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Maybe that's what I'll do when my friend comes for a visit. I'm always looking for new exciting things to do with her at the Happiest Place on Earth. Thanks for the tip!!!