PDA

View Full Version : Question about a DL closure a long time ago...

Dream Again
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Okay, I know people are probably gonna think this is a lie, but I don't think it is.

Whenever my mom and I would go to Disneyland, my dad would gripe about the time that he was there with my mom for their post-wedding honeymoon. He said that they were there for a little while, but they had to close the park for some reason in the middle of the day. My dad always had his "stories," so I went to ask my mom about this and she said it was the truth (she does not lie, either.) They always said nobody believed them, but on the account that my mom even backed this up, I believe it.

Does anyone know what happened that day? It's been bugging both me and my mom forever.

Andrew
04-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Any idea what day it was?

bradk
04-18-2005, 04:51 PM
up until 9/11, i believe the only day disneyland closed was nov 22, 1963 when kennedy was assassinated. but i could be very wrong about that. although, unless your parents were staunch republicans, disneyland would be an odder choice of the two events to associate with the honeymoon.

even on walt disney's death, the park was kept open

sediment
04-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Maybe it was "Hippies on TSI" Day.

adriennek
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
When's your parents' anniversary?

Adrienne

Opus1guy
04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Yep...could have been this day:

http://www.studiolo.org/Email/DISNEY.htm

"Yippies"...not Hippies. :)

But if it were this day, I would have thought he would have mentioned the circumstances around it! Not easily overlooked by anyone that was there that day.

Dream Again
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Any idea what day it was?

Hmm...they got married in January '87, so I'm assuming it was '86 sometime. (They took their honeymoon before they got married, not after.)

The yippie invasion link was pretty interesting, though...

CrazyTrain
04-18-2005, 08:32 PM
You know, I was talking to my dad about Disneyland... I didn't think he'd ever been, and he said he tried to go once, when he was out here on business. He said that when they tried to go, it was closed. He made it sound like it wasn't that late in the day, either... like around evening. (I don't think he could remember what time it was).

I am not quite sure that I believe him, but he swears it is true. Maybe it was the same day? Or did Disneyland close fairly early in the 80s?

Dream Again
04-18-2005, 09:02 PM
You know, I was talking to my dad about Disneyland... I didn't think he'd ever been, and he said he tried to go once, when he was out here on business. He said that when they tried to go, it was closed. He made it sound like it wasn't that late in the day, either... like around evening. (I don't think he could remember what time it was).

I am not quite sure that I believe him, but he swears it is true. Maybe it was the same day? Or did Disneyland close fairly early in the 80s?

Hmmm...

Interesting, veerrryy interesting. *scratches chin*

adriennek
04-18-2005, 09:29 PM
He said that when they tried to go, it was closed. He made it sound like it wasn't that late in the day, either... like around evening. (I don't think he could remember what time it was).

Well in the 'old' days, they had lots of private parties after hours in the off-season. So if it was evening, they might've closed around 5 or 6 to clear the park in time to open up for an 8:00 party?

Adrienne

adriennek
04-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Hmm...they got married in January '87, so I'm assuming it was '86 sometime. (They took their honeymoon before they got married, not after.)

Well then that would be a pre-wedding honeymoon, wouldn't it?

Adrienne

cstephens
04-18-2005, 10:05 PM

Someone else will know - when did DL used to close a couple days a week?

Opus1guy
04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Until Eisner came on board, Disneyland was always closed Mondays and Tuesdays during the off and non-holiday seasons. Weekday closing times were often 6pm. So it's very common to hear Wally World stories of folks that got to Disneyland just to find that it was closed. But early closings before 6pm on days when it was open...that would unusual.

Shortly after Eisner came on board, he said none of that poop. We're gonna be open 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

cstephens
04-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Until Eisner, Disneyland was always closed Mondays and Tuesdays during the off and non-holiday seasons.

OK, so when was this?

Opus1guy
04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
OK, so when was this?

Well, Eisner came on board in 1984, so I'm guessing by 1985 Disneyland had gone to 7 days a week operations. It could have been in 1984 though. I do recall it was instituted fairly soon after Eisner joined. Pretty much up until that time, Disneyland was closed Mondays and Tuesdays. Except as I said, during the Summer months and peak holiday seasons.

Opus1guy
04-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Ooh. Google is a wonderful thing. I just found the following on a Disneyland Timeline:

1985 - On February 6th, Disneyland begins a year around, 7 days a week operation

cstephens
04-19-2005, 09:51 AM
CrazyTrain - Do you know when it was your dad tried to go when it was closed? If it was in the early 80s and it was on a Monday or Tuesday, that would explain it.

CrazyTrain
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
It was most likely in the early to mid 80s... he didn't tell me for sure. It is also possible they tried to go at 6 or later... I'd assume it was after whatever work stuff they did that day. That all makes sense. He just seemed really surprised! *lol*

Dream Again
04-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Well then that would be a pre-wedding honeymoon, wouldn't it?

Adrienne

Oops, typo.

efoxx
04-19-2005, 06:50 PM
first of all I don't usually post on the DL thread. since I have moved to the mid west 18 years ago we spend most of our disney time at WDW. but prior to that we lived in SD for most of our lives. we were original apers at DL. (I remember when they were $49 you got free parking and no black outs). that being said by way of introduction to those who don't know me.

this may shed some light, and may be the answer.

in the summer of 1985 DL closed on day (wed I believe, I could be wrong) every early. like 4 or 5 pm. this unusual closing time was due to the invitation only 30th birthday party that would kick off at 8 that night. the party lasted 30 hours with the general public being let in at 9 the next morning. those invited AP'ers and press, total number about 15,000, were treated to a fun night with special events, parades, and shows. the evening started with everybody gathering on MS. the the lights dimmed special fireworks went off, and a special lighting package for the castle lit up. using a series of colored spot lights placed in the parking lot, and behind storybook land I believe the created a rainbow effect visible from anywhere in DL. confetti canons went off and literally filled MS to about 3 inchs of confetti. years later we were still finding confetti in our clothes and stuff. then from 9-9 we had the parks to our selves. it was great, but by noon the next day we were a bit tired. :D

anyway could this possible unusual early closing be the answer?