PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollar 'amount'?

kimbopotamus
04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
I have never purchased Disney Dollars before and was curious about bill size. Are they just $1 bills or are there $5's, $20's etc? I really want to get some for my daughter to buy her own souveniers, but I can't fathom her carrying around a big wad of 1's!!! Also, when a CM makes change, will they give her back Disney Dollars, or cash?
One more question, I swear! Do ALL of the shops (DL, DCA, and DTD) allow you to buy Disney Dollars? I am trying to find the quickest and easiest way to get them on our way into the park. Thanks!

Buttercup
04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
They do come in various denominations. I don't think they sell them in every shop. You can get them at the bank on Main St. in DL. And you can get them at the disney store in DTD.

When you use them to purchase something you just get regular currency back for change, at least that has been our experience.

tinkluver
04-18-2005, 01:30 PM
They come is $1, $5, $10 and can be used in Disney operated hotels, and at all shops and restaurants within the various theme parks.

jennia
04-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Definitely not all the stores *sell* the Disney Dollars. The HUGE World of Disney store at DTD right as you get off of the Mickey and Friends Tram does sell them as of our visit within the last 2-3 weeks. :D

mkcbunny
04-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Does anyone know whether DLR hotels and/or the Good Neighbor hotels sell Disney$$? [Don't need 'em, just curious.]

jon80flt
04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Have you considered getting her a Disney Gift Card? You can charge it up with any denomination, and she doesn't need to worry about cash (Disney or real) at all!

If you are worried she would lose it, get her one of those Pin Lanyards with the little plastic card holder (the kind that zips closed)...she can also carry her passport and any fastpasses in it, as well.... plus, she'll have a place to put a couple pins, if she wants them.

Just a thought :D

Jon

Photographer
04-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Disney Stores carry them as well. I've heard that not all Disney Stores do, however. You can use them inside the parks or in the hotel shops & restaurants. If you don't spend them all, you can return them for US Currency at Disneyland. I think either the bank or City Hall (possibly both) do it.

hlbtimes2
04-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I think the Emporium sells them as well. I know I read somewhere once, that buying Disney $$ is a good way around banking fees. If you need some cash, and dont want to pay the ATM fee or VISA cash advance fee- buy disney dollars. What ever you dont spend in the park can be exchanged for regular money before you leave the park.

MKCbunny- I doubt the good neighbor hotels sell them, but the disney hotels might- in the gift shop I would guess.

kimbopotamus
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
I have considered a gift card, but I think the 'cash' might be more appealing to her. I was just worried about her losing a pocket-full of little bills, but $10's would do just fine. :D

Pureevents
04-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I think the Emporium sells them as well. I know I read somewhere once, that buying Disney $$ is a good way around banking fees. If you need some cash, and dont want to pay the ATM fee or VISA cash advance fee- buy disney dollars. What ever you dont spend in the park can be exchanged for regular money before you leave the park.

WoW! That cuts down huge on the amount of dollers I'll be exchanging, are you saying I can use my VISA to purchase Disney Dollers? And that it won't be counted as a Cash Advance? And can I the dollers to buy things in Downtown Disney, or at the little Corndog carts?

danyoung
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Yes, you can use the Disney Dollars anywhere on Disney property. And I'll bet you'll end up taking one or two of them home, making them the most profitable souvenir Disney ever invented!

cstephens
04-18-2005, 03:26 PM
WoW! That cuts down huge on the amount of dollers I'll be exchanging, are you saying I can use my VISA to purchase Disney Dollers? And that it won't be counted as a Cash Advance? And can I the dollers to buy things in Downtown Disney, or at the little Corndog carts?

Yep, that's part of the beauty of Disney Dollars, but you can only use them in Downtown Disney at Disney-owned merchants. A non-Disney-owned business is likely not to accept them from you. But keep in mind that Disney does limit how much you can exchange back into regular money, so you wouldn't be able to exchange say $200 of Disney money back into regular money. I'm not sure what the limit is that you can exchange.