PDA

View Full Version : Where can I buy Disney Dollars before the DLR?

Disneyluvr
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Disney Dollars before I go to DL? My son's B-day is in a few weeks and I thought I could get him some Disney $$ for our trip at the end of May.

tod
04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Is there a Disney Store near you?

hlbtimes2
04-18-2005, 10:55 AM
A disney store would be easiest- if you are near one. If not, call guest services. I'm pretty sure that if you give them a credit card number they can mail them to you.

bradk
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
call the disney store before you show up expecting to buy some. a lot of people have mentioned that they've halted selling disney dollars in anticipation of new bills in may.

i've confirmed this to be the case for the world of disney store in nyc. i was advised that they are currently only available for purchase within the theme parks.

not sure if delivEARS or WDW merchandising will sell you disney dollars, but you're probably looking at about 2 weeks before they even ship them ground.

Disneyluvr
04-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Nope, no Disney Store near me. I'll have to check online maybe.

bradk
04-18-2005, 11:07 AM
personally, i'd probably wait until your trip. you can just get them in the park.

tod
04-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Nope, no Disney Store near me. I'll have to check online maybe.

Try Disneyland at 714 781 4000. They have a mail-order operation that might be able to help you.

--t

mickeynminnie
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Also keep in mind if they can't help you with Disney $s when you call, they may be able to help you with the new DL gift cards that they are selling in the parks.

adriennek
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
personally, i'd probably wait until your trip. you can just get them in the park.

But her son's birthday is before their trip. That ruins the birthday gift aspect.

Adrienne

bradk
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
oh yeah, i didn't really line up the dates on that one. sorry.

maybe mouseshoppe.com can arrange for something as well, paying a slight premium on top of the face value of course.

rentayenta
04-18-2005, 11:50 AM
If you will be staying at one of the DLR hotels, Vacation Planning can help you. That's how I got mine for my kidlets. Email them at vacationplanning@disneyonline.com

The Disney Dollars were waiting in our room along with autographed glossy photos and balloon bouquets. :)

jennia
04-18-2005, 11:55 AM
I see the gift cards for sale around the resort a lot more than I see the Disney Dollars on my recent visits. The Disney Dollars *are* really cool but I bet you can get the gift card even if you can't get the Disney Dollars.

Do you have a friend or family member near the park or near a Disney Store that could purchase the DD or GC for you and mail it themselves? That might speed up the process for you so you can have them in hand for his birthday.

MsYumiBr
04-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Try DeliverEars at the park (800) 362-4533.

MammaSilva
04-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Just a heads UP

The gift cards that the Disney Stores sell are NOT valid at the parks nor the World of Disney at DtD! They are different than the resort cards that they are pushing now as opposed to the Disney Dollars. The resort cards do not give you cash change, they just swipe it like any other 'credit card' and deduct the purchase price and you can't use them at the outdoor vendors like you can the Disney Dollars so they really aren't 'interchangeable' like a lot of the advertising and CM's would like you to believe.

jennia
04-18-2005, 12:11 PM
So the Disneyland Gift Card that they sell at the DLR stores is good at Disneyland but the Disney Store Gift Cards aren't?

Or is the Gift Card that they sell at Disneyland only good at Disney stores and not inside the park for other things?

WE've been talking about buying Disney Dollars for a gift also but usually we use cash or debit card!! :D

E-ORLover
04-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I have read that new ones are coming out...who is going to be on the new ones (chicken little)? I don't want any with Chicken little, I want Mickey Mouse. Does anybody know for sure who is going to be on what?

CoasterChickie
04-18-2005, 12:29 PM
If you sign up for a Disney VISA card , you'll get twenty -five Disney rewards (which are worth a dollar each). When you decide to redeem your rewards they send you a very cute "credit card" and you call a number to activate it. The card can be used anywhere at the DLR and at any Disney card.

We use our Disney Visa card for any purchases we can then pay it off each month. The "rewards" add up pretty quickly!

hlbtimes2
04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
So the Disneyland Gift Card that they sell at the DLR stores is good at Disneyland but the Disney Store Gift Cards aren't?

Or is the Gift Card that they sell at Disneyland only good at Disney stores and not inside the park for other things?

WE've been talking about buying Disney Dollars for a gift also but usually we use cash or debit card!! :D

My understanding is, there are two cards. One good in the resort and one good in the mall type stores. The mall stores are now owned and operated by the same company that owns Childrens Place clothing stores.

mkcbunny
04-18-2005, 02:11 PM
My understanding is, there are two cards. One good in the resort and one good in the mall type stores. The mall stores are now owned and operated by the same company that owns Childrens Place clothing stores.

A word on a couple of the cards. I've got the Disney Rewards Visa, and the rewards card that you get through that program has worked for me in both the exterior store Downtown, as well as in the park, and also at a Disney-property restaurant [at WDW]. I don't know if that policy has changed since January 2005 [last time I used it] though.

HOWEVER, I had a hard time using the "free $25" gift-style card I received when I signed up with Visa last year. It was sparate from the standard "Rewards" card I now have. I called Visa before my trip to ask them if I could use it at the World of Disney store [or whatever it's called] in Downtown Disney at WDW, and they said yes, I could. But when I got there, the store staff said I couldn't. Needless to say, I was annoyed when I tried to pay for purchases with it and could not. [I can't remember now where I was finally able to spend it. I think it was valid in standard off-property Disney Stores only, which makes it of the second type you describe.]

So the cards can be pretty confusing. Especially since the Disney Visa seems to traffic in both types under different promotions.

jennia
05-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Since I read in the report that the new Disney Dollars are sold out at the resort today I called Disney (the number in this thread and then 2 other numbers that I was referred to by CMs.) The last place I talked to was Disney Dining, they told me that the Disney Dollars can only be purchased at the resort or through a Disney store that there isn't a way to get them via mail order.

OK, so now I'm off to call the local Disney store but I wanted to add this update for anyone who wanted mail order Disney Dollars.

jennia
05-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Another update.....

Online you cannot reach the Disney Stores, it appears that all roads lead you to Disney Direct who does NOT sell Disney Dollars (yes, I called them :D .)

I'm not sure when the parent company of The Children's Place bought the Disney stores but apparently (because of the purchase) the Disney Stores under new management do not have a web presence yet. I was told by the CM at the closest Disney Store that a web presence for the company is *coming* but give it a few months.

I also found out that my *local* Disney store is closed recently. I did reach a not quite as local Disney store who confirmed that they do have the ***new*** Disney Dollars in the store for purchase.

stinkerbell
05-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Our local Disney Store has the new Disney dollars in! :)

Be sure that if you do buy some Disney Dollars, that you keep your receipt. That way, if the DDs are not spent, you can redeem them for cash. The resort will NOT redeem them for cash without a receipt.

The other cool thing about DDs, is that you can spend them anywhere in the resort.....including the hotels and Downtown Disney. Our girls spent theirs at Build-a-Bear, and I spent mine at Sephora. ;) One our last day, my oldest daughter had not yet spent hers...each girl had $225 to spend (this was their Christmas money from everyone in our family, not their normal vacation spending money!) and we'd spent hours and hours shopping. She spent her last $60 at Compass Books and loved it! She got some really great books, but she'd wanted to get cash.....but we had no receipt.

Sooooo......keep your receipts!!

Good luck! Disney Dollars are a great birthday gift.....I love letting the girls spend their "own" money. If they want ice cream, it's up to them to spend their money on it. You'd be surprised how discriminating kids can be when they have to spend their own money. :D

topmouse
05-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Our local Disney Store has the new Disney dollars in! :)

Be sure that if you do buy some Disney Dollars, that you keep your receipt. That way, if the DDs are not spent, you can redeem them for cash. The resort will NOT redeem them for cash without a receipt.

:D

Thanks for the "heads up" about Disney Dollars being available at the Disney Stores. I just got some for my daughter for our trip in -- count them -- 30 days.