PDA

View Full Version : Program cuts

tabacco
01-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Well, it looks like I have some bad news to report... I won't be returning to the Disneyland Resort this summer. According to an e-mail I just got, the DLR College Program has been pretty much eliminated. Even though the program is still not technically gone, the e-mail says they've cancelled every recruiting visit to west-coast colleges that was scheduled for next month and March. And since they're not hiring anyone new into the program, I doubt they're going to keep us existing CMs around either.

*sigh* No Disney-sponsored housing means no more me at the resort. Oh well :(

socabch
01-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hear that, you have great input about DL. Maybe they will change their mind like they do on everything else. You know how fast and often things change around there.

Good Luck!

MonorailMan
01-13-2002, 02:07 AM
DARN! There goes my college plans, man gotta rethink this DLR working thing, well I'll see what happens.

tabacco
01-13-2002, 09:55 AM
MonorailMan: This would only affect you if you planned to work summers only and seek housing from Disney through the Summer College Program. It doesn't affect you if you're just a college student working there.

In my case, I dont' live anywhere near the resort, so I rely on Disney-sponsored housing while I'm there.

bluepearl
01-13-2002, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear that, Tabacco. I didn't realize that Disney even had that sort of program. You don't have any friends or anything out here that could help you out?

DisneylandKid
01-13-2002, 10:57 AM
What is (was) the college housing program?

tabacco
01-13-2002, 07:59 PM
The summer college program was (and possibly will be again next year) this:

They recruited students from the west-coast schools (most of the UCs, Arizona State, and U. of Washington. They'd provide housing for the summer at the rate of $400/month/person, which came fully furnished with all utilities in Brea. You could hire into any dept. you wanted with a couple obvious exceptions (performer, TDA, etc.) and were guaranteed 30 hours/week to be sure you could cover the rent (which was deducted after-tax from your check) and still manage to eat. The official site is at:

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/college/disneyland/undergrad.html

I'm toying with the idea of getting 3 other CM friends who were int he program and renting an apartment seperately. Anyone know of any decently priced apartments near anaheim that'd be willing to rent for 3 months? :)

Realisticlly, I'm probably gonna see if I can find a summer sublet or something form a college student at Fullerton or UCI.

bluepearl
01-13-2002, 09:14 PM
Wow, that sounds like an interesting program. Wish I had heard of it earlier; I would've taken that opportunity instead the job I had last summer. :shudder: And strangely, I am still contingent there. But anyway...too bad they're not running it this summer. I live about 30-60 minutes away from DLR (depending on which county I'm at for the moment) and my mom is worried about the sort of mileage and wear and tear the drive will do to my car once I start working in a few weeks.

But Tabacco, sounds like you have a good plan in thinking about renting an apartment with other friends. I have a friend who goes to UCI so I can ask him how the rates are there. Good luck!

HondaBoy
01-13-2002, 09:28 PM
That's a great program Tabacco, do they have something similar for Walt Disney World or Tokyo Disney? Like where they send you off for some program just for the summer? I mean I'd love to travel but if money doesn't permit than why not travel for free and have a cool job while your at it. Hey blue pearl, even with all the wear and tear your car will get by driving to Disneyland for your shifts, I gotta say, the KCML/BCML/TDA lots are the best employee parking structures I've ever seen. I mean where else can you work do you find security guards patrolling the lot, not too many are monitored by security cameras 24/7, and whenever you feel down about your job all I gotta say is, you got one of the coolest jobs kid (you can always work your way up and make good $$$ if your determined). Heheheh, sorry to go off topic, just had to.

tabacco
01-13-2002, 09:56 PM
WDW's got a HUGE program compared to ours. Check out http://www.wdwcollegeprogram.com

They also run all year round, not just summer.

bluepearl: If you could ask, I'd greatly appreciate it! If I'm gonna start looking, I want ot do it early.