PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering, who here sneaks extra guest into their hotel rooms?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ima_mickeyfan
04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I probably should have worded that better, I don't mean for any "hanky Spanky"! lol
What I mean is that do you tell reservations that you have 4 staying in the room when actually you intend to have 5? so that you can have a cheaper rate? I could honestly see people doing that, if they have several small children and a room has 2 queen beds and a couch, why not be able to have 1 room if you are a family of six instead of having to get 2 rooms or a suite? what do you think? :)

MammaSilva
04-15-2005, 05:04 PM
This is one of those hard call things....while I wouldn't be comfortable with my little ones in a seperate room that didn't connect to the room I was in, at the same time, is it worth not being able to use the pool or partake of the breakfasts or the other amenities of the hotel because they know their maxium is 5 and all of a sudden they see a family of six?

bradk
04-15-2005, 05:09 PM
other than i think it's dishonest, in blatant violation of the hotel policies that you agree to when you reserve the room, tantamount to theft of services, etc., etc., it sounds like a grand idea.

and that money you're saving better be going to tip the housekeeper because they're usually the ones to tip off management.

Rhiannon8404
04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Well, it's not something I would do. The time we went and there were more than 4 of us we just got adjoining rooms. We had three kids (ages 4½, 4½ and 2) and four adults. We could have gotton away with one 2 queen+sofabed room, but who wants to be that crowded?

CoasterChickie
04-15-2005, 05:49 PM
We usually have so many people along with us that we have to get two rooms at the DLR hotels. But I really like staying at the Embassy Suites and the Hawthorn Suites when we have a party of 6 because 4 people sleep in one room and 2 people sleep in the other. Plus breakfast is included at both locations.

SCUBAbe
04-15-2005, 05:53 PM
I usually just say/enter 2 adults...when it's really 1 adult and a child...sometimes my parents decide to come at the last minute then it ends up being 4, but the room sleeps four...so I don't consider it sneaking people in..:)

Rhiannon8404
04-15-2005, 05:58 PM
I just remembered...one time we had booked a room for 2 adults and 1 child (we only have one), but ended up bringing one of my son's friends with us. I called and told them we'd have an extra person and she said it didn't matter as long as as they were children and we didn't exceed the number of people allowed for our room (5).

sdfilmcritic
04-15-2005, 06:00 PM
While I was on vacation last year I had family members come up throughout my vacation week to spend a night or two in the hotel room that I had booked. But they didn't stay for the whole duration of my vacation. I guess it's still considered to be sneaking guests into the hotel room.

PhilMP
04-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Hmmmm...I do this when I go to Vegas all the time. Reserve for 2...and cram 8 people in there. Not like I do much sleeping in Vegas anyways.

Just tip your housekeeper more, usually they don't care, but it doesn't hurt. You're probably saving money in the long run anyways. :)

Phil

SCUBAbe
04-15-2005, 07:14 PM
the amion problem may be if three is a fire. If they don't know how many are in the hotel they will not know how many to evacuate....??...or they may think everyone id out and stop looking for more??...I'm just guessing...:)

ima_mickeyfan
04-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I have personally never done this, but I was just courious...we have a large family that we always end up with a suite anyway. I prefer to have my space than be all cramped up. I agree with mgmt. needing an accurate head count for safety reasons. just courious little me, like I was courious to see who all took the hotel soaps/shampoos etc. at the end of their vacation... ;) :)

Susan L
04-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but, I believe I am correct on this one. Children under 17 stay free at the on site hotels. So you are really only paying for the adults. Sure if you have to get two rooms you are going to have to pay more. We have always had at least 5 in our group and have been able to get us all in one room at the PPH. Now on our last stay at the DLH it was a bit tight but we all had a bed to sleep in.

I couldn't sneak anyone in I have to big of a concience.

Disney Village
04-15-2005, 07:59 PM
other than i think it's dishonest, in blatant violation of the hotel policies that you agree to when you reserve the room, tantamount to theft of services, etc., etc., it sounds like a grand idea.

and that money you're saving better be going to tip the housekeeper because they're usually the ones to tip off management.

Dude, you need a reality check. Having one extra little kid in a room is NOT tantamount to theft of services (of a multibillion dollar company), etc, etc...give me a break!

Besides its simple supply side economics. Family saves several hundred dollars by not having to book an extra room for their duration and will end up spending saved money in the parks.

rentayenta
04-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Dude, you need a reality check. Having one extra little kid in a room is NOT tantamount to theft of services (of a multibillion dollar company), etc, etc...give me a break!

I agree.

I actually had a hotel reservationist tell me to never tell about the kids because the hotels really don't care about the kids being there.

MsYumiBr
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
PPH has the largest standard room. Limit is 6.

Neon Cactus
04-15-2005, 08:32 PM
I have to agree that it's really not a big deal. You want to talk theft of services, I could see your point if you're staying at Embassy Suites and sneaking extra people into the free breakfast or free cocktails. But to have an extra person sleep in a bed or on the floor, you're not inconveniencing the hotel.

hlbtimes2
04-15-2005, 09:17 PM
I was just thinking about this subject today. My niece, who's almost 23, called to say she wants to come with us in Oct. She's just started a job and doesnt have much money. I suggested that she only come for part of the time we are going to be there, not all 5 days. I'm tossing around the idea of having her stay a night or two in our room. I'll have to give it some more thought.

bradk
04-15-2005, 10:03 PM
(sigh)

well, if it's not a big deal, then you can tell the front desk and see what they say as a few people mentioned they have.

you can't argue that it's not theft of services just because it's a 'multi-billion dollar company.' do you shoplift because the company can just get reimbursed because it has insurance or take a tax write-off or whatnot?

first off, the question didn't limit itself to all small children, it was using that one case as a particular example. second, it is what it is. if the hotel is fine with it, that's good for you and the hotel. that doesn't necessarly make it right.

04-16-2005, 05:00 AM
What bradk said.

I'm a crotchety old broad who needs her space. Spend the extra money for the extra room. Your sanity will thank you.

seattlemom
04-16-2005, 06:24 AM
When we go with just the family (2 adults/4 children), we stay at the Embassy Suites or similar to accomodate 6.

When our nanny comes with us, we book two adjoining rooms somewhere. She gets one room, the six of us sleep in the other. I tell the reservations agent, and they have always told me that they have to put one of the children on the reservation with the nanny, but that we could sleep wherever we wanted. We've done this twice: once at the Grand Californian, and once at the Tropicana.

I don't feel guilty doing this. We would have paid the same for 10 people (5 in each room). Everyone in our party is a registered guest, so we're not using more than we paid for in regards to breakfast, pool privileges, and such.

The one issue that has merit to me, is the fire code. However, I think that in the event of a fire we would be safer and more orderly with the children in the same room with us where we could guide them rather than in another room where we'd have to go get them first.

Tutter
04-16-2005, 07:07 AM
I could never do it because I would be stressed the whole time that someone would find out and throw us all out. So I have never done it and never would - but mainly cos I am a scardy.

Pureevents
04-16-2005, 07:10 AM
I'd book for 2 then sleep 8 (all over the floor with sleeping bags) when I'm out on a economy road trip, but for something like a Disney trip, because I'm spent so much already I'd only stay with the 2 I've booked.
The times I've been busted the hotels usually don't do anything but charge us for extra people . It can be a bit nerve wracking though having to hide that many extra people.

hlbtimes2
04-16-2005, 07:21 AM
I just did a little price checking. For 4 of us ( 2 adults 2 kids) at GC in Oct it will be $1582 for 4 nights, 5 day park hoppers. When I add one adult to the reservation it only goes up $172. Thats the price of a 5 day hopper, plus $3. S0, I'm guessing if I had one extra adult in the room, the hotel wouldnt really care. I'm sure if I added more then the number of people the room is supposed to before it would be different.

CrazyTrain
04-16-2005, 08:13 AM
My friends and I do this all the time. No hotel has ever cared. Last year we had 7 people in a room booked for 4 (two nights in a 5 night stay, the other nights there were 5 people). Nobody cared. One year we had five booked in a room for four, asked for the free roll-a-way bed... all 5 were in the room, the person who brought up the bed didn't care. Sorry, but it's hard to pay extra for one person to sleep on the floor! I used to worry about people finding out but I really don't anymore.

Of course, it's never been at a Disney hotel nor have kids ever been involved!

CoasterChickie
04-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Here's some food for thought...

At the Embassy Suites and Hawthorn Suites, it costs a little more for a suite that has two queens in one room and a queen in the other than for a suite that has one king in one room and a queen in the other because one is designed for up to 6 people and the other is designed for up to 4. That makes sense to me. At any of the DLR hotels it costs a great deal more for a suite that will sleep six people than a standard room that sleeps five people. It even usually costs more for a suite than it costs to reserve two standard rooms which can sleep as many as ten people. Some of the rooms at the DLH can easily fit a rollaway bed so I think they should just have rooms for 4 people that cost one price and rooms for 6 people that cost another price that is not so significantly higher. In a way, it's discrimination against large families if you ask me!!

Here's a devil's advocate kind of question too....if it's unethical for people to sneak in one extra guest, then isn't it also unethical for the hotel to chrage the same price for the room when there one or two less guests using it?

BTW...I have a family of six and one of the main reasons we made a second and third trip to DL last year was because we couldn't afford to stay at the DLR during spring break when the prices for the suites or two rooms were exhorbitant. So we took a boys' trip and a girls' trip during low season, but we've never been able to afford staying in a suite or two rooms at a time in any of the DLR hotels with just our immediate family.