PDA

View Full Version : What's your best memory of your Mom at D-Land?

Pages : [1] 2

Largent81
05-08-2001, 05:30 PM
In honor of all our Mother's this Sunday, what is your best memory of you with your mom in the park?

I have alot to choose from, but the best one was when I was 4 years old.

I was begging my Mom to take me on Space Mt., even though I didn't know what it was. She tried and tried to explain what is was to me but I didn't care. Other people were going up the moving sidewalk, why shouldn't I! So she stood me up next to the height restriction sign and I was just 1/10 of an inch too short. I guess the Cast member was attracted to my Mom because he winked at her and told her to go ahead and take me on as long as she would come back and talk to him. So we waited and waited in line and finally got on. I was really excited until that first drop. My mouth dropped and stayed that way the rest of the ride. Suddenly the middle aged man in front of us who bragged about how macho he was the whole time we were in line was now cussing and screaming in fear. When we got off I was mad at my mom and told her "I can't believe you let me do that! What kind of mom are you!" But I must not thought it was that bad because before we were out of the building I asked if we could get back in line. The middle aged man was sitting on a bench saying he would never go near another coaster.

Okay, so it's not the most touching or funniest story, but it shows that my Mom taught me courage and to go with my instinct. (Or something like that!) :rolleyes:

Largent81
05-08-2001, 05:35 PM
Forgot to mention my mom didn't go back to talk to the cast member. I guess he wasn't worth it. Nor did she take me for another ride. We spent the rest of the day in fantasyland with my Grandpa and my little brother. I guess she thought I had enough independence for one day.

Mad Pixie
05-08-2001, 06:13 PM
Definitely NOT the time she got food poisoning...though this one other memory particularly sticks out. When I was 12, we went to D-land the weekend before Thanksgiving, just the two of us. My mom lived in California for a year or two as a kid and had been to DL her share of times, and for some reason was particularly excited on getting back on Space Mountain. I'm not a coaster person, so I reluctantly agreed, not wanting to dampen her spirits about it.

Well...when we got off, both of us had Jello knees and had some trouble walking, though my mom was more shaken than I was, and she kept saying, "I don't remember it being THAT fast...". To this day she still won't go near it.

Yup, we're a coupla coaster wusses. Like mother, like daughter.

BetsyAnn
05-13-2001, 07:23 AM
There are so many -

My very first trip at just under 2 years olf - My mom made matching dresses for all of the girls in the group

The fact that she will still go to DL even through it really isn't her thing

But my favorite memory is my mom on Space Mtn, - Now my mom hates roller coasters but for some reason she was willing to go in Space Mtn soon after it opened. To say she enjoyed her ride would be an outright lie! She was so terrified my Dad had brusies on his arm and my mom made a deal with God that if she got off alive she would never do it again. That had to be atleast 25 years ago and she had not been on Spave Mtn again.
Thanks for giving it a try atleast once for us kids!

Uncle Dick
02-07-2002, 01:33 AM
This isn't really a memory per se, but there's this old picture of my mom (when she was around my age) sitting in front of America Sings (with her uncle, I think). It's just nifty to see her back in the olden days. Okay. That is all.

justagrrl
02-07-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Mad Pixie

Well...when we got off, both of us had Jello knees and had some trouble walking, though my mom was more shaken than I was, and she kept saying, "I don't remember it being THAT fast...". To this day she still won't go near it.

My Mom said the same thing about her last trip on Space Mountian. It had been many years between dland trips at the time - and my dd chickened out and wouldn't go on it so she ended up riding by herself. all she kept saying after getting off was "boy - they sure changed that ride...it's a lot faster".

PinkFloyd
02-07-2002, 11:12 AM
Like Uncle Dick, I have a favorite photograph of my mother standing next to the Indian near the shooting gallery. It was taken during my parents honeymoon and she looks radiant!

yeo_foxe
02-07-2002, 11:32 AM
My mom is pretty cool in the fact she attended Disneyland during opening week and DCA on opening day....

My best memory of her at DLand is when I took her to see Luminaria and her remarking how Paradise Pier reminded her of the Pike.....

TerryTiger
02-13-2002, 08:45 PM
I have so many memories of my Mom and Disneyland that it's hard to choose. This thread did bring up a memory that I feel goes well here though so I will share something a little bittersweet. After a year and a half battle with cancer, my mom was bedridden and required constant care. My sisters and I shared the responsibility of staying with and tending to her 24 hours a day for the last 9 months of her life. It was EXTREMELY draining and stressful. The last few weeks of her life she was rarely conscious. We knew the end was near. One of my sisters flew in from Oregon to be with her. Then the phone call came one Sunday morning. She had passed on early that day. I headed right over to the house where my other 2 sisters had just dealt with the ambulance and coroner, etc. We couldn't stay in the house! Where would we go? We had to do something to take our minds off of our loss. We asked ourselves what to do, what would our mom want us to do. And we all had the same idea. "Let's go to Disneyland!" It seemed an absurd thought but somehow comforting. We immediately hopped in the car and drove to Anaheim. We spent the day alternately laughing and crying in the Magic Kingdom - everywhere we went it brought back memories and stories we'd share with one another of our dear departed mother. We knew she was there with us in spirit. It truly was a wonderful experience and brought us much closer together. Even though we'd experienced a tremendous loss, we were allowed to reflect on all the happy memories Disneyland held for our family and helped us get through one of the most painful days in our lives. Only Disneyland has the power to do that.

MonorailMan
02-14-2002, 01:43 AM
I think my best memorie of my mom, Is when on my B-Day trip, I tricked her into going on Indy (My Mom Will Not Touch Any Of The Coasters, Becuase She Dosen't Like Them!) Once she got on, After looking at Mara she had that "Is It Over Yet?" Look, Man what a Kodak moment! :)

ae's mom
02-14-2002, 08:03 AM
Mine is very similiar to Monorail Man's story. My mom isn't much of a coaster fan. We tricked my mom into going on Big Thunder when we were in high school. Then when Indiana Jones first opened my 7 year son wanted to go on it. My 4 year old was to small, so I asked my mom if she would take my son on it while I waited with my 4 year old daugher. I had never been on it, but I told her I thought it was suppose to be like Mr. Toads. Boy, you should have seen her face when they walked out of Indy!!!! I couldn't stop laughing! But, she is a great sport. When my daughter was old enough to go on Big Thunder and Indy, it was my mom who rode with her!!

Gemini Cricket
02-14-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Like Uncle Dick, I have a favorite photograph of my mother standing next to the Indian near the shooting gallery.
There must have been something about that Indian back then, because I, too, have a picture of my mom w/ that Indian. And she looks awesome in it as well.

I posted this in another thread but:
My favorite "Mom Disneyland Memory" is when my family went to Dl for the first time and we rode Big Thunder Mountain. My mom was expecting a quiet train ride through the hills etc. In fact, I think she still thought this was the tame train ride that was there previously...
We get on. She screams the entire way. She's totally convinced she's going to fall out of the train car. She clutched the lap bar screaming at each turn, "Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! I'm going to fall out!" She'd have this frantic look on her face and then she'd have a totally dead pan expressionless face and point out, "Those aren't real coyotes...." and then she's start hysterically screaming again. "Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness!" It was a priceless moment.
:D

jslivinski
03-18-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by TerryTiger
I have so many memories of my Mom and Disneyland that it's hard to choose. This thread did bring up a memory that I feel goes well here though so I will share something a little bittersweet. After a year and a half battle with cancer, my mom was bedridden and required constant care. My sisters and I shared the responsibility of staying with and tending to her 24 hours a day for the last 9 months of her life. It was EXTREMELY draining and stressful. The last few weeks of her life she was rarely conscious. We knew the end was near. One of my sisters flew in from Oregon to be with her. Then the phone call came one Sunday morning. She had passed on early that day. I headed right over to the house where my other 2 sisters had just dealt with the ambulance and coroner, etc. We couldn't stay in the house! Where would we go? We had to do something to take our minds off of our loss. We asked ourselves what to do, what would our mom want us to do. And we all had the same idea. "Let's go to Disneyland!" It seemed an absurd thought but somehow comforting. We immediately hopped in the car and drove to Anaheim. We spent the day alternately laughing and crying in the Magic Kingdom - everywhere we went it brought back memories and stories we'd share with one another of our dear departed mother. We knew she was there with us in spirit. It truly was a wonderful experience and brought us much closer together. Even though we'd experienced a tremendous loss, we were allowed to reflect on all the happy memories Disneyland held for our family and helped us get through one of the most painful days in our lives. Only Disneyland has the power to do that.
Terrytiger, what a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

tabacco
03-18-2002, 12:47 PM
heh... the last thing my mom said about Space Mountain (this was ~6 months ago) was something along the lines of "Wow, that wasn't NEARLY as wild as I remembered it." :)

mousey_girl
03-18-2002, 02:11 PM
When I was young, before we moved out of the LA area, we used to go to DL a lot. We mainly went on PacBell nights. I have already shared my best memory of my dad... with my mom things are a bit different. I remeber her cussing after every ride on PotC when her watch would get splashed on. It never stopped her from riding, however, just seemed to give her something to cuss about.

Gotta love mom!

malin
03-18-2002, 02:36 PM
I remember the first time we went to Disney.We me, my mother,father and brother went on Big Thunder Mountain.We had no idea what this ride was.You should of seen her face.It was a picture.

But her favourite attraction has got to be Honey I Strunk The Audience.She love's the mice leaving the theatre Lol.

MammaSilva
03-18-2002, 04:48 PM
My parents are muggles thru and thru but gotta love the things parents will do for their children, I desperately wanted our class to do the grad night at Disneyland for our graduation trip and as a class we were having a hard time finding a set of parents willing to take on the work/responsibiliy of dealing with all the details with Disney and the transportation ..... My mom volunteered to take it on, we drove to the "orientation" that Disney put on in the bay area, then she spent so many lunch periods at my high school answering questions and taking payments and reservations....keep in mind this was 1973 but our tickets and bus ride cost a total of 30 per student and we were allowed to purchase one ticket per student for our dates....after my mom took on that task all of a sudden parents were coming out of the woodwork to be chaparones....but it pays to be friendds with the kid whose mom is in charge since my friends parents got first shot at the job.....now to the actual Grad night....My mom and dad were like little kids, Mom was the one to set the chaparone schedule so she and my dad took the first shift at the chaparone tent then had the rest of the night to explore and have fun, we had plans to meet up when they got done but we couldn't find each other.....the night went along with them exploring and me doing my thing with my friends until about an hour before it was to be over when I finally found them....we went and watched the CBJ together, rode PoC and just soaked up the experience.......I remember when we got back home the next day groups of kids coming up and thanking my mom for making it possible for us to go......that was the only time my parents ever went to the park together and the last time my mom went.....thanks Mom for the memories :)

HTHBellcaptain
03-18-2002, 06:13 PM
In 1969 (I believe) my Mom and Dad took me to Disneyland for the first time. Mom would always ask me what I wanted to do. I wanted to see the characters. While my brothers would go off with Dad to ride the big kid rides, my Mom would stay with me by a Cast Member gate next to It's a Small World. That's where the characters would come out of.

My father and brothers would return. Dad would ask what do you want to do now? I would reply, "I want to see the characters." My mother is a saint! She stayed with me so that I could meet the characters. I was a very shy kid. I think they were thrilled to see me come out of my shell a little.

I have the best parents in the world. Mom and Dad have always supported everything I done.

FEJ
03-18-2002, 07:38 PM
When my Mom snuck into Disneyland.

When I was a young teenager, my mom came to pick me and some frieds up at the park, but we wantd to stay longer. after a little begging, she said we could. Then she started waving (like she was saying hi to someone else in the park) and ducked under the exit turnstile. (there wasnt anyone manning them at the time)

That is my best memory of Mom at D-land.

SzczerbiakManiac
03-18-2002, 09:03 PM
When I was 16, I decided I was going to come out to my mom (I hadn't told anyone else I was gay at that point). She was coming down from San Francisco (I hadn't lived with her since I was two) and asked what I wanted to do. I told her I wanted to go to Disneyland. I also told her I had something to tell her but that it needed to be said in person.

So the day arrived and on the drive to the park, she asked me if I wanted to talk about whatever "it" was. I was still very afraid to say anything and asked if we could talk later. She respected my feelings and didn't bring it up again until that evening when we were on our way out. (so to speak ;) ) We were sitting in the parking lot when I finally screwed up enough courage (after some gentle prompting on her part--she sensed I needed to get whatever it was off my chest.) She was more supportive and understanding than I could have asked for. And she has remained my strongest friend and ally ever since.

A couple weeks ago she was passing through LA on her way to San Diego for a business trip. She asked me what I wanted to do. I thought we'd both enjoy Mary Poppins Practically Perfect Tea (which we did). Whilst chatting post-Tea, we figured out the last time she had been to Disneyland was that day 17 years ago. I remembered this thread and for whatever reason, decided I need to tell all y'all about my experience.

I consider myself very fortunate to have a mom as cool as she is. :)

tink360
03-19-2002, 11:21 PM
My favorite memory of my Mom in disneyland was back 9 years ago. We were in tomorrowland, a band was playing and we came upon Mickey jitterbugging with different guests. For a moment I thought he was going to ask me to dance, but then he decided on my Mom. Good choice, she jitterbugs much better than I do! I have wonderful memories of watching my Mom have a blast dancing with Mickey, and a great photo too. This was a very special trip for my family, a few months later my mom fell very ill and had a serious battle with cancer. Thank goodness she came through it and is fine today.

ruthjohn
03-23-2002, 10:08 AM
The funniest day at Disneyland with my mom was when I was about 8 years old. My mom had just gotten a very tight perm and had her hair cut pretty short. Well, we were walking towards Pirates of the Caribbean and two little birds flew out of nowhere and plucked hair out of my moms head! Then they came back for more. We had to run to the Jungle Ride to get away from them! I can only figure they were trying to build a nest. It was so funny I almost peed my pants. Of course, my mom didn't think it was too funny at the time.:p

rentayenta
04-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Oh all right. I thnk I'll go call renta and live vicariously through her!!! LOL

She and I both found an "Evil Twin" t-shirt at Target. Has anyone seen a "Good Twin" t-shirt anywhere?

My inner bitch lives on the outside. You will never guess where you stand with me. ;)

BTW, the Princess shirt was a birthday gift not a used shirt, CC :~D

rentayenta
04-19-2005, 11:20 AM
My inner bitch lives on the outside. You will never guess where you stand with me. ;)

BTW, the Princess shirt was a birthday gift not a used shirt, CC :~D

How in the hell did this end up here??????????? Kooky!!!

CoasterChickie
04-19-2005, 11:25 AM
How in the hell did this end up here??????????? Kooky!!!

Maybe the messed up wiring of MP thinks I'm your mom!!! :D

we did have an awfully good time at DL didn't we my darling little daughter?! :p