PDA

View Full Version : Club 33

Pages : [1] 2

Shary Bobbins
01-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Anyone out there ever been to Club 33? I've always wondered what the club is like, does anyone have any info on it?

lisap
01-12-2002, 03:11 PM
This is a great article from kevin Yee. Enjoy.

kevin's article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/chef/ck010514.htm)

LIMANDL4EVA
01-12-2002, 08:10 PM
god its great to go there, i went last year and its just magical knowing how exclusive it is and it comes down to THIS, its very intricate and fancy, the food is great VERY VERY VERY expensive though, the bacony looks like its going to fall part though, and the fantasmic view is obstructed by a few trees but it wont matter being tht it might not come back any time soon ;) i didnt yander over to the trophy room though, i hear thats always fun so overall its a great time!

omnium
01-15-2002, 07:31 PM
It is a wonderful place to go to. Kind of like flying first class. Once you have tried it, you always want to return. My company has a membership. It is an oasis, particularly on crowded days.

Ace
01-15-2002, 07:40 PM
cool. I hope to be a member when I'm 30. should I get in line now?

socabch
01-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Squinky

You might want line up now. Don't know your age but I heard the waiting list is 2 years.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-15-2002, 09:19 PM
The company I work for has some sort of partnership with Disney and as such has X number of reservations at Club 33. They are given out for rewards etc. I was unaware anyone could just reserve a spot though. Isn't membership thousands of dollars or something?

innerSpaceman
01-15-2002, 09:27 PM
My info could already be out of date, but last time I checked membership was $5K per year, with a $7K sign-up charge just to get onto the 2 year waiting list. It's a very cool place, but hardly worth that kind of money IMO. Dinner is very elegant, but extremely overpriced. The food at brunch is much, much better, but lacking the same genteel atmosphere. Best thing about nightime is the (as said before) obstructed, but private, view of Fantasmic, great view of fireworks, and the only place to get a good, stiff drink the Magic Kingdom.

omnium
01-16-2002, 05:27 AM
Waits can be up to four years for membership. No deposit is required to be on the wait list. There are different levels and the more you pay the more cards you get. Individual ones are $7500. Dues are $2,985 per year.

Although pricey, it is invaluable for business purposed. Much less than joining a country club. Admission is included with reservations.

I don't understand the comment about the "genteel" atmosphere or lack of it. It is a great experience and I have never heard anyone being unhappy with the atmosphere.

steamboatStu
01-16-2002, 06:29 AM
I did a little question & answer session with Lani regarding Club 33 (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm011127.htm) membership. It should answer most of your questions.

The thing I have found most rewarding are the special events. The Walt's 100th celebration brought in two mouseketeers (Bobby Burgess and Sherry Alberoni), as well as an Imagineer who worked with Walt on designing Disneyland (Bob Gurr). The evening was capped off with a visit to Walt's apartment. This year will bring several winery special event as well as an evening with John Lasseter. The club also has special evenings and menus for holidays such as Valentines day, Christmas and New Years. The candlelight processional was also a wonderful experience for club members.

Ozymandius
01-18-2002, 07:51 AM
Just a question to other members or frequently visitors to the club.

Is it me or has the quality of the food gone down in the past 6 years? Although the food is still the very best you can get in the park, I am finding the quality equal to that of Granville's Steak House @ the Hotel. Or maybe my it was just that time. I'll have to find out next time I go...

Ozy

BELLEH5
01-18-2002, 10:51 AM
How do you get on the waiting list for Club 33? and is it located next to the Blue Bayou?

Ghoulish Delight
01-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Don't know how to join the list. The door is located next to Blue Bayou. Look for the ornate "33" sign. The actual club is upstairs. Often the curtains are open enough that you can see the ornate ceiling from street level.

innerSpaceman
01-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by omnium
I don't understand the comment about the "genteel" atmosphere or lack of it. It is a great experience and I have never heard anyone being unhappy with the atmosphere.

Oh, let me clarify. I have NEVER been unhappy with the atmosphere. It's just that evenings are truly elegant, with all patrons usually dressed to the nines, no kiddies (hence not noisy), service at its utmost impecible. During the day, service is still absolutely excellent, just not as formal and crisp. There are kids and the attendant hub-bub they create (also not bad, just different from nighttime), and many patrons are in theme-park-wear, i.e., shorts and T-shirts.

More classy at night, with better entertainment opportunities (in summer). Much, much better food at brunch though. (And I must agree with Ozymandius that the quality of food at dinner servings has gone down over the years).

Love going every once in a while, but since I haven't won the lottery yet, even the price of dining is enough to deter me from a visit to Club 33. An actual membership is out of the question and, just IMO, not worth it. However, if a bunch of padders want to get one as a group and treat it like a timeshare, well that's something to consider.

omnium
01-18-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by BELLEH5
How do you get on the waiting list for Club 33? and is it located next to the Blue Bayou?

You call them up and ask to be put on the list. It is to the right of the Blue Bayou entrance. It is a door that says "33".

omnium
01-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandius
Just a question to other members or frequently visitors to the club.Is it me or has the quality of the food gone down in the past 6 years? Although the food is still the very best you can get in the park, I am finding the quality equal to that of Granville's Steak House @ the Hotel. Or maybe my it was just that time. I'll have to find out next time I go...

Like any restaurant, it has it's great days and its ordinary days. I have seen some buffets that are magnificent and some that are average. I don't think that the quality has deteriorated though. There is a new GM and he seems to be on the ball. The last one was great. Sorry to see him go.

I have been a member for 8 years and have only had dinner there once. I prefer the buffet. I have been to a number of "members only" special dinners and they have been superb. They better be! There would be a lot of complaints from the Club 33 Bluebloods if it weren't!

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed around quoted material. -- Lani]

mad4mky
01-18-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by omnium

You call them up and ask to be put on the list. It is to the right of the Blue Bayou entrance. It is a door that says "33".

No, you don't call them up to be put on the list. Maybe you can call, and they will send the paper work for you to fill out to be on the list. I actually wrote to them, and they sent me the paperwork to be put on the waiting list. But, the won't put you on the waiting list just because you have called.

The paperwork you recieve is detailed in the amounts it costs to join, the approx. waiting list time, and the conditions of what being a part of Club 33 entails. No money is due when you send back in the paper work.
Reading Steamboat Stu's account of joining Club 33 is worth the time. He is very detailed about how he became a member.

Our name is on the list...I might be 60 before I get to join (I am in my very early 40's now).

Iceman
01-18-2002, 01:50 PM
How much does it actually cost to eat at Club 33? I had assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that once you paid the $7,500 initiation fee and the $2,850 annual renewal fee that you could then eat there for free. Are there any other benefits besides free park admission, free valet parking at the Grand Californian, and the obvious benefit of being able to dine at such an exclusive establishment?

Ghoulish Delight
01-18-2002, 02:25 PM
As I understand it, you pay for prestige, and that's about it. I personally think it's pretty chincy of them. You're paying almost $3k a year and they don't even give you a true AP? You only get the free admission IF you buy a meal. (or pay another chunk for an actual AP).

I also find it ironic that there are so many people who call Fastpass "elitist" but at the same time would step on their grandmother if it means getting into 33. Just an observation.

I would love to have a meal at Club 33, but I would never want to be a member.

Lani
01-18-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
As I understand it, you pay for prestige, and that's about it. I personally think it's pretty chincy of them. You're paying almost $3k a year and they don't even give you a true AP? You only get the free admission IF you buy a meal. (or pay another chunk for an actual AP).No, that is not correct (at least the way I understand it). This seems to be a major point of confusion, so let me see if I can clarify it.

The actual Club 33 member gets free admission 365 days a year, as if they had an AP. It is only the guest of the member who has to dine at the restaurant in order to get into the park for free.

Here's an example:

Let's say I am the Club 33 member. I can go to the park anytime I want, whether I eat at the club or not. Now, let's say you want to eat dinner at Club 33. I put in a reservation for you. You get to the park to go eat dinner, and they thus let you into the park for free. However once you get into the park, you decide you don't want to eat, so you don't have dinner at Club 33. Later on, *I* get notified that you (my guest, the person whom I sponsored) did not eat dinner at Club 33 but still went into the park. So then I am charged for your admission into the park because you went in without eating at Club 33.

Does this help clear things up?

Lani
01-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Iceman
How much does it actually cost to eat at Club 33? I had assumed (incorrectly, apparently) that once you paid the $7,500 initiation fee and the $2,850 annual renewal fee that you could then eat there for free. Are there any other benefits besides free park admission, free valet parking at the Grand Californian, and the obvious benefit of being able to dine at such an exclusive establishment? When Alex and I dined at Club 33 with a group of folks, I think it came out to about $150 for the two of us. We ate a lot, though, and went the full course so we had appetizers, desserts and a round of drinks. After taxes and dinner I think that cost is about right. Maybe Alex can clarify.

Speaking to Steamboat Stu for our MousePlanet article, I truly got a sense that a Club 33 membership is very similar to a country club membership at a golf course. There is convenience and prestige, but also the privilege of being able to eat at a QUIET sit-down restaurant where you are not being rushed through your meal. Sometimes that is considered a priceless luxury, especially in places like the park where it is nearly impossible to get away from a sense of rush, and lots of noise.

Bottom line -- it's a classy joint where you can act classy. It reminds me of club lounges at airports. I belonged to United Airlines' Red Carpet Club one year and while it's not worth the $300 a year membership unless you travel a lot, having a QUIET place to relax and wait for your flight can be worth that price. I think some folks may feel the same way about Club 33. You can pretty much be guaranteed never to run into foul-mouthed, ill-behaved, trailer trash tourists who don't wash their hands after using the washroom. (that said, it is possible you can run into snobby, rude and obnoxious people, though -- no promises!) :D

omnium
01-18-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

No, you don't call them up to be put on the list. Maybe you can call, and they will send the paper work for you to fill out to be on the list. I actually wrote to them, and they sent me the paperwork to be put on the waiting list. But, the won't put you on the waiting list just because you have called.

The paperwork you recieve is detailed in the amounts it costs to join, the approx. waiting list time, and the conditions of what being a part of Club 33 entails. No money is due when you send back in the paper work.
Reading Steamboat Stu's account of joining Club 33 is worth the time. He is very detailed about how he became a member.

Our name is on the list...I might be 60 before I get to join (I am in my very early 40's now).

That's what I meant. You call to get on the list. Or, you can write. I just did not get into the details that follow the call. Sorry for the confusion.

omnium
01-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Here are a few answers to the questions...No we do not get free food. Just like you don't get free golf or free food from the golf country club...The buffet is about $40.00 and the Sunday Brunch is about $50.00. On Sunday you get champagne, and they have characters come in to take pictures with you...We can go each day to both parks and take one guest. We do not have to eat at Club 33...If my guest don't show up we get charged $50.00...if they go to the park and not to the restaurant, we get charged for the tickets...(of course we make them pay it!)....it is certainly not an elitist thing...it is a great business situation, as we send a lot of our clients...We only go to the Club once or twice a year, so it is mostly for our clients and friends...we used to get to park in front of the main entrance until it was torn down. I miss that!...yes we do get a number of benefits...one new one is that our guests now get the Parkhopper pass, so that they can go to either park. This started on Jan. 7. That is a big deal because everyone asks us if we can get them into DCA and we would say no...in all my years (8) I have only seen two "celebrities: Carl Karcher and Bobby Sherman.

steamboatStu
01-18-2002, 07:06 PM
Omnium,

Did you go to the Walt's 100th? Bobby Sherman was at that one too!

One other advantage not mentioned yet is that you can bring up to 15 people into the parks with you. For instance, this last saturday we celebrated my daughter's birthdays. We had 11 kids and another adult with us. Rather than pay for their admission, we chose to dine at the club and got 12 free admissions.

Being a new member, I have only done one special event and candlelight. The special event was truly magical and it seems that this "behind the scenes" treatment will be a little more common under the current management.

omnium
01-18-2002, 07:43 PM
Stu,

No. I could not make it to that one. It must have been great. Did you talk to Bobby? He is a great guy. I will look you up at the next one, if we all go. Unlike you who has two daughters, I have three. I am sure we have a lot in common.

Where did you here about Lassiter? Sometimes the bulletins don't arrive. I did not get the one on the new GM.

Best to you and your family.