PDA

View Full Version : Wedding at DL today (4/14)

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrsG
04-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Was at DL for a few hours today and I saw a Japanese couple get married - the actual ceremony - at the lawn area to the left of the castle. They had tables set up with a wedding cake, and champagne and glasses, and the bride and groom were in formal wedding clothing. After they kissed, and everyone watching began clapping, Mickey and Minnie, in wedding attire, showed up and the 2 couples took turns dancing with each other. This was all being video taped - with professional equipment and someone who seemed to be directing the whole event.

Do you think this was a real wedding and/or was it a production for a commercial, perhaps in Japan? In any event, it was charming and fun to watch.

mystycalchyk
04-14-2005, 04:07 PM
*refers MrsG to item #7 in sediment's sig line*

Answers to FAQ: 1. Take a limo. 2. All holidays with schools off are busy days. 3. Fly into John Wayne if possible. 4. N/A. 5. CM Matt gets 7/15! 6. Check weather.com. 7. Only if you're rich and Japanese. 8. Search for AP discount info on this site. 9. Mainly the two weeks surrounding Easter, though all March and April might be busier than off-season. 10. I dubbed him that, because he actually is one, versus his predecessors. 11. Alice, teacups, parades, and possibly Fantasmic! 12. $30

Probably was real....and you can only have them if you're rich and Japanese

Mommy2NicknMax
04-14-2005, 04:09 PM
OH how cool!!!

I Heart Disneyland!
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
*refers MrsG to item #7 in sediment's sig line*

Probably was real....and you can only have them if you're rich and Japanese

Why only if you are Japanese? This seems very politically INCORRECT. So, a caucasian, hispanic, African American, etc. couldn't have their wedding in Disneyland?? Very wrong.

Niwel
04-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Check out this thread for more about that: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=35183&highlight=Wedding

DopeyWife
04-14-2005, 06:28 PM
Was at DL for a few hours today and I saw a Japanese couple get married - the actual ceremony - at the lawn area to the left of the castle. They had tables set up with a wedding cake, and champagne and glasses, and the bride and groom were in formal wedding clothing. After they kissed, and everyone watching began clapping, Mickey and Minnie, in wedding attire, showed up and the 2 couples took turns dancing with each other. This was all being video taped - with professional equipment and someone who seemed to be directing the whole event.

Do you think this was a real wedding and/or was it a production for a commercial, perhaps in Japan? In any event, it was charming and fun to watch.

What time was this at? I was at Disneyland today too, and I didn't get to see this. It would have been cool to see the wedding.

Disneynerd
04-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Did I miss something? I read the entire attached thread about weddings and I still don't get why only Japanese people can get married there. Because they bring business? Every single person in the entire culture? That doesn't sound right at all?:(

MrsG
04-14-2005, 06:45 PM
What time was this at? I was at Disneyland today too, and I didn't get to see this. It would have been cool to see the wedding.
This was at about 11:30 am.

lauras5boys
04-14-2005, 07:25 PM
I saw one a while back too. There was something with Cinderella's glass slipper too. I loved it.

MsYumiBr
04-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Why only if you are Japanese? This seems very politically INCORRECT. So, a caucasian, hispanic, African American, etc. couldn't have their wedding in Disneyland?? Very wrong.

Hey, that is NOT true. The last time I saw a wedding there, there was a whole group of latinos and latinas dressed in 20's style gangster pimp purple zoot suits (sp?) and fringe dresses (with imitation white machine guns) while the bride was transported in the Cinderella coach. And the one before that was also hispanic. Japanese usually get married in Hawaii. Lots cheaper than Japan. I should know. My husband and I had our wedding there.

MyBeast
04-15-2005, 12:02 AM
Anyone can be married there if they can pay for it -- only 50k or so.

sami869
04-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Anyone can be married there if they can pay for it -- only 50k or so.
That is true, anyone can get married there before or after the park opens. Personally I wouldn't want my wedding that early or late. I'd like to be awake for it :) Only Japanese people can get married inside the park during operating hours. At least that's what I've read here and many other places.

bradk
04-15-2005, 08:32 AM
i'm not entirely sure there are racial lines being drawn. the after hours wedding probably refers to the 'cinderella' wedding which involves a huge procession in front of sleeping beauty castle and all that. aside from the experience, the price tag of starting at ~40K probably just makes it more attractive, not to mention there are relatively 'worse' ambiances to have for your wedding.

i just don't believe that particular type of event is doable during the day.

the morning sessions probably refer to a photography shoot (no wedding) on disneyland grounds which is significantly less expensive.

personally, short of the cinderella experience, i think i would opt for using the rose court garden at the DLH and then doing the photography session in park in the morning.

if it were taking place after sunset, i'd consider GCH because it does have great views of the park all lit up.

sediment
04-15-2005, 09:27 AM
It's a very unusual and exclusive arrangement. I'd like to know the origin of this arrangement. Maybe it goes all the way back to the beginning, in which a Japanese travel company invested in the construction, and this is the payback. (Just speculating, with no evidence.)
I don't think it's right, either, but I also don't think having a wedding ceremony every 40 minutes at the castle (which is where it would head with an unlimited policy) would be good for the park atmosphere.

D-lander 1956
04-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Maybe it goes all the way back to the beginning, in which a Japanese travel company invested in the construction, and this is the payback. (Just speculating, with no evidence.)

Or it was a strawberry field belonging to a Japanese family as are so many of the land plots in and around Anaheim. (Again, just speculating, with no evidence.) ;)

TikiGeek
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
There are many Japanese-Disney business relationships dating way back to the 1950's. The Paradise Pier Hotel was purchased from a Japanese business group when it was called The Pan-Pacific Hotel. Just a little trivia :)

-Tikisan

sediment
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Or it was a strawberry field belonging to a Japanese family as are so many of the land plots in and around Anaheim. (Again, just speculating, with no evidence.) ;)
Hey, that was MY bit!!

sunnyca
04-15-2005, 10:21 AM

It's not "politically incorrect," it's just INCORRECT!!! Why can't we get passed stereotypes folks?!!!

sediment
04-15-2005, 10:33 AM
It's not "politically incorrect," it's just INCORRECT!!! Why can't we get passed stereotypes folks?!!!
What stereotypes?

04-15-2005, 10:34 AM
Take a deep breath.

It's Japanese nationals, not people who are racially Asian.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-15-2005, 10:45 AM
We were there on our hunymoon on the 14th. We didnt see the wedding that you are talking about but we did have a wonderfull time (I wish we could do it all over again) did you happen to see us walking around with our wedding ears on :) we didnt take them off all day (we even drove home with them on).

Earkid
04-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Congrats to you "wish". I saw your Buzz pics and they are adorable. Are you going to post a trip report? Or are you too busy opening wedding presents :)

I Heart Disneyland!
04-15-2005, 12:49 PM
Japanese usually get married in Hawaii. Lots cheaper than Japan. I should know. My husband and I had our wedding there.

Were they getting married INSIDE of Disneyland?? By the castle? I've seen weddings on the outskirts, on the property, but, not in the park itself. It wasn't me who said if you are Japanese and rich, you can marry in the park. I just made an observation based upon that comment. I've also read on the boards that only Asian people can marry in the park, it's not racist, I am just making an observation based on what I've read.

MrsG
04-15-2005, 01:09 PM
Were they getting married INSIDE of Disneyland?? By the castle?
Yes - actual ceremony. Inside DL. On the lawn by the castle. With champagne (though it could have been non-alcoholic. They didn't share with me)

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-15-2005, 01:14 PM
Congrats to you "wish". I saw your Buzz pics and they are adorable. Are you going to post a trip report? Or are you too busy opening wedding presents :) I'm working on a report but at the same time I'm already back at work and running full steam so it may take a little wile. :)