PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 richer?

ripplededge
01-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Ok, this has to be one of the lamest or honorable things ever done.
So I am at TDA today, like around 3:15pm, and this CM says she needs a payroll assistant to come down to the security office, because she was confused about her check. So one came down.
It seems the check was written to her for $10,000. And she brought it back!!!
Then after she left, all us security guys tried to think of the best way to hide it so disney couldn't track it down.

If you were in that situation what would you do?

Ace
01-11-2002, 04:09 PM
I'd have to say lame (if that or honerable are my choices) because it would probably just go to Eisner's paycheck otherwise...she should have used the money to have a party for her cast member friends.

mousey_girl
01-11-2002, 04:42 PM
I would have turned it in.

A) it is the right thing to do

B) if I didn't my conscience would really bug me

C) things like this do not go unnoticed for long and eventually someone would have found the error and I would have to pay it back

tabacco
01-11-2002, 05:16 PM
Now if she had direct deposit, it'd be a lot easier to claim ignorance :)

MammaSilva
01-11-2002, 06:38 PM
direct deposit wouldn't change a thing...except for it to take a bit longer for her to 'notice'....

However, since we are talking what would 'we' do......if it's not mine, I didn't earn it, buy it or receive it as a bonafide gift....I don't want it.. doesn't matter if anyone else will ever "know" ... I would, and I'm the one who has to live with me......

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 09:38 PM
They probably would have fired her if they found the money missing and tracked it down to her.

socabch
01-12-2002, 09:28 AM
I agree with mammasilva, if you didn't earn it how can you keep it and sleep at night. I was doubled paid once & I went to payroll right away. I know from auditing our payroll system they would have never caught it but it didn't matter. If my honesty was beening tested then I passed and I feel good about myself.

USofA
01-12-2002, 10:02 AM
not to metion being able to sleep at night, they would demand it back. when a dept manager sees that his payroll expense went up by 10,000 in a week period, he would research it. Then it would be demanded back. If it was direct deposit, even worse, they could just take it back out of the account. When you sign authorization for DD that includes the ability to reverse any errors. so if the recipient had spent any of the overage, overdraft time.

Nigel2
01-12-2002, 08:57 PM
Hmmmmm, you have to wonder if/how often this has occured in the past, or did they just start using a new program for payroll?

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-12-2002, 09:32 PM
As far as direct deposit goes - and regular payroll paper checks for that matter.....

Most large companies have agreements in their employee handbook, on the direct deposit form etc. etc. that state if an employee is overpaid in error - the company has a right to debit the bank account the erroneous payadvice was credited to (in cases of direct deposit), or begin collection actions immediately if the employee negotiates the check and it is paid before being discovered.

Since an employer has all of your personal data - social, past employers, past addresses not to mention current addresses, telephone numbers, emergency contact information... it's hardly a windfall in your favor - and in reality just a matter of time before an incident like this could become a huge headache for all parties if not addressed ASAP.

Nigel2
01-12-2002, 09:39 PM
On a big pile of money.:D

Cadaverous Pallor
01-13-2002, 11:26 AM
As I always say, stealing is stealing, no matter if it's a pack of gum or $10,000.

Nigel2
01-14-2002, 09:29 PM
I am 99 percent sure that everyone has stolen something, intentionally or unintentionally. A paperclip, a pen/pencil, a wasted photo copy, and I have even heard that staples can count as stolen if taken home. So if you are going to seal don't be petty (if its going to get you fired anyway) steal big.:D