PDA

View Full Version : Ariel's Grotto [merged]

yellowrosedtxn
04-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Does anyone have a menu or some information on what they serve here? I woudl assume it would be seafood but you know what happens when you assume. I looked on the Mouseplanet Menu thing and I didn't find it (Could be I wasn't looking in the right area), but none the less, can you help me out?

Also, I am confused. Is Priority Seating the same as making reservations? If not, I have to make reservations (for Character Meals) and then Priority seating? Thank you!

bradk
04-13-2005, 10:13 AM
hmm.. looking for boiled sebastian with a side of flounder?

http://www.mouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/arielsgrotto.shtml

priority seating is NOT the same as reservations, technically speaking.

disney does not offer reservations.

reservations implies that a table is reserved for you. this is not what disney does. restaurants that take priority seating have a large percentage of tables set aside for priority seating. they then allow a certain number of groups per seating time (so there can be 3 families with priority seating at 1:30 for example). those groups are then offered the priority seating tables in order of arrival. it's recommended you check in 15-20 minutes prior to your seating time.

hlbtimes2
04-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Also, I am confused. Is Priority Seating the same as making reservations? If not, I have to make reservations (for Character Meals) and then Priority seating? Thank you!

Priority seating is the closest thing to a reservation you will get. Its simular to a reservation, but it doesnt mean your table will be ready at that time- it just means your name is already on the list. People with out PS dont get their name on the list until they get there, and may have a really long wait-or might not get in at all. I hope someone can explain it better then that!

yellowrosedtxn
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
So, that said, do they take priority seating 60 or 90 days out? I have seen 60 and I have seen 90, so I want to make sure I haven't missed my opportunity.

bradk
04-13-2005, 10:21 AM
i could be very wrong on this, but i believe in most cases, priority seating arrangements at DLR are done up to 30 days in advance. Blue Bayou will take them up to 60 days in advance. in most cases, you'll be able to make arrangements the day of (as long as you do it first thing). that wouldn't be the case for balcony seating for fantasmic however, but it should apply to most other situations.

the only place i've heard of 90 days is certain events at WDW.

topmouse
04-14-2005, 07:37 AM
I read the reviews and they seem to be either heavily one way or the other. Has anyone been recently that can tell me if the food is good and worth the price? How about the service? Any comments are appreciated.

CrazyTrain
04-14-2005, 08:11 AM
I think it's worth it if you're hungry. They do give you a lot of food and what I had was REALLY good. It is a little pricey, IMO, especially if you can't take the leftovers with you. Our service was great, once we got a waitress (they had told her that she had no more tables so she could go home. Surprise!). We were the last seating of the day so we got very little character interaction. Overall, I'd say it was worth it. :)

Terri
04-14-2005, 08:14 AM
My son and I had a great time there. The food was good, the character interaction was great and the view was nice. However...we were there a year ago, so I'm not sure if anything (beside no more Ariel) has changed.

charpaul
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM
As far as character dining is concerned I think this is the best deal.
You get an appetizer - main course - and desert and I think your beverage is included. This is all for about $25.00 per person(adult).
The characters that they have come out frequently and encourage the kids to get up and have fun with their games.
I am sorry to see that Ariel is no longer one of the characters available (She has been replaced by Mickey, but she mainly sat at the front of the restarunt in her seashell cart and greeted visitors.
Not a lot of interaction IMO. The Sea themed costumes on Chip and Dale, Goofy, Pluto, and Mickey work well.
I will not rave about the food - but it is not bad. I like this place for an easy way to have a character meal experience.

Rhiannon8404
04-14-2005, 09:11 AM
Of all the character dining experiences we've had, I liked Ariel's Grotto the best. Lots of food, and it's pretty good, too. Plus when we were there last November we got free cotton candy for dessert.

The character interaction was better there than at Goofy's Kitchen or PCH Grill. We went mid-evening and both times there were more adults than kids dining. The first time we were there (4/03) there were only about 6 kids eating and Pluto and Goofy were actually rolling round on the floor of the lobby sort of wrestling around with the kids. When we ate there in 11/04, there wasn't quite that much interaction, but still lots of characters, Ariel (no longer there), Minnie, Goofy, Daisy, Pluto, Chip and Dale.

We will probably visit again when we go in June.

CoasterChickie
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
especially if you can't take the leftovers with you.

After I carried my boxed up salad and piece of chocolate cake with me all over DCA and DL, I left it in the fridge at the DLH by accident. So that dinner sald which was all I ate cost me $21.00!!

Be sure to save up your appetite if you're going for lunch or dinner because they give you a lot of food...and a huge hunk of cotton candy!!

I saw a lot of characters in there earlier in the evening, but less at the end of the evening so be sure to go between 5 and 7 pm. And take sunglasses as the sun sets around then and shines on the patio and through the windows. It's actually very pretyy and makes for some good pictures.

CrazyTrain
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
That menu is wrong - the price is more (I'm thinking around $20?) and includes dessert (and possibly a drink?). I also believe that there were more dessert choices (unless the Rocky Road is ice cream?) Maybe I'm wacked, but I swear that at least dessert was included.

topmouse
04-14-2005, 09:38 AM
After I carried my boxed up salad and piece of chocolate cake with me all over DCA and DL, I left it in the fridge at the DLH by accident. So that dinner sald which was all I ate cost me $21.00!!

Be sure to save up your appetite if you're going for lunch or dinner because they give you a lot of food...and a huge hunk of cotton candy!!

I saw a lot of characters in there earlier in the evening, but less at the end of the evening so be sure to go between 5 and 7 pm. And take sunglasses as the sun sets around then and shines on the patio and through the windows. It's actually very pretyy and makes for some good pictures.

So is the cotton candy the dessert? I was under the impression that you got a salad or soup, an entree, and a dessert. Is a drink included?

CoasterChickie
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
So is the cotton candy the dessert? I was under the impression that you got a salad or soup, an entree, and a dessert. Is a drink included?

No , the cotton candy is in addition to the dessert. You won't need any sweets for about a month after you eat there!! :D

I'm pretty sure the drink is included unless you order something with alcohol .

Oh, and the kids meal comes with a cute bucket and shovel. (Hope I'm not ruining the surprises for anyone)

Powerslave
04-14-2005, 10:36 AM
We hit Ariel's in December 2004 when we were there. A couple of quick observations to help in this discussion:

1) The characters were all around and the kids seemed pleased with the amount of time they received with each (including Mickey).

2) The food was what you expect from Disney (glorified, overpriced, upscale cafe food).

3) Our service was pretty poor, but it was mainly because of the waiter we had. He just didn't seem all that interested in making our meal a pleasant one. But other servers seemed better.

4) There was some Pirate guy there riling everyone up. This guy was a TOTAL LOON and seemed like maybe he was doing shots of Yukon Jack in the back before coming onstage. Can anyone tell me WHO THAT GUY WAS? He was pretty moronic and marched around with a bull horn. We were like, "Who the HECK are YOU?" Anyone shedding light on this would be appreciated! :)

Dream Again
04-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I read the reviews and they seem to be either heavily one way or the other. Has anyone been recently that can tell me if the food is good and worth the price? How about the service? Any comments are appreciated.

My first time there was last summer. Food was really good, but a little pricey. It was a big detour from the 74 dollars we paid for Goofy's Kitchen two years ago, though. The waitress was also super nice!