PDA

View Full Version : Cirque du Soleil in Anaheim?

MrTomMorrow
04-13-2005, 12:21 AM
Tokyo Disneyland is getting a Cirque du Soleil theater... (http://www.disneylandreport.com/disneynews/050413tokyodisneylandcirquedusoleil.html)

Is Cirque du Soleil in consideration for the rumored Downtown Disney expansion at the Disneyland Resort? They're at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney with their show La Nouba. Would a Cirque show be something that might do well around Disneyland? Should it be added to Downtown Disney?

MrVisible
04-13-2005, 02:35 AM
That would be the cream-cheese-with-frosting-flowers icing on the Disneyland cake for me. The only reason I'd even venture near Las Vegas is to see a Cirque show, and having one available at DL would be amazing.

I'm hoping you're right.

sdfilmcritic
04-13-2005, 02:37 AM
I was wondering where they would have room for such a venture. I'm curious to know.

bradk
04-13-2005, 02:46 AM
the only reason i see this not happening is that cirque spreads itself pretty thin in the US already. if i'm not mistaken, in vegas, they already have 3 separate shows running and vegas may be too close to anaheim to warrant a permanent installation there.

TempoNZ
04-13-2005, 04:47 AM
Actually I think there is 4 in Las Vegas (Mystere, O, Zumanity and Ka). Plus there is one in development which inculdes music from the Beatles.

Though I love Cirque show I do think bradk might have a point. At the moment I believe all the shows are doing very very well but if you keep adding mroe and mroe show eventually you'll over satuate the market.

sdfilmcritic
04-13-2005, 04:49 AM
Plus there is one in development which inculdes music from the Beatles.It sounds like a great show for Sally to go watch since she's right there in Vegas. :~D

bradk
04-13-2005, 06:25 AM
never even heard of ka. i would think a permanent installation of the lion king or beauty and the beast would make more sense than anything else, but with all due respect, anaheim isn't exactly the cultural capital of the west.

sdfilmcritic
04-13-2005, 06:39 AM
never even heard of ka. i would think a permanent installation of the lion king or beauty and the beast would make more sense than anything else, but with all due respect, anaheim isn't exactly the cultural capital of the west.I agree. Disney should make an attempt to stick with Disney themed entertainment for a while longer. Please.

stan4d_steph
04-13-2005, 06:43 AM
never even heard of ka.Ką just opened in November 2004 at MGM.

I don't envision them putting a permanent Cirque show at DL since, as has been said here already, there are 4 in Las Vegas.

AmandasDad
04-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Plus there's the 5 or 6 travelling shows. A new one is coming out this year.

cirquelover
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
As I recall, Disney met with Cirque a year or more ago to discuss putting in a show in Anaheim. The rumor was they were talking about DCA or DTD for a temporary show. Like when they brought in the extreme sports thing.

In the end they brought one of the traveling shows to the area and it wasn't a booming success. Maybe then they decided to put a permanent show in Tokyo.
Disney makes a lot of money from La Nouba and I can see them wanting to expand that profit. Cirque is expanding all over the place and trying many new things. Rumor is that NY will have a permanent show in the next two years also.

Klutch
04-13-2005, 11:23 AM
I think the biggest problem with Cirque at Disneyland is that it's just too darned expensive for the venue. The shows in Las Vegas go for over $100 a head. That works well with the upscale, adult visitors that Vegas attracts. The show at DTD in Florida is just as expensive, but again, it works for the many out of state and out of country guests who flock there.

These days, the vast majority of Disneyland guests are families with young children and local AP holders; not the best market for $100 show.

cirquelover
04-13-2005, 11:30 AM
I have to agree with you and I don't think they would have a year round audience for it, fall and winter would be really hard to get a sell out crowd every night!

La Nouba is the cheapest of all the Cirque shows, ranging from $50-$86. But I doubt they would make another show and sell the tickets that cheap. Every new show seems to have a higher price tag than the last one.

Las Vegas really isn't that far from Anaheim anyway, is it?

bradk
04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Las Vegas really isn't that far from Anaheim anyway, is it?

that was my point, it's certainly close enough. and it already has 4 permanent installations on the strip there alone.

assez! (and by that, i mean what it means in french, not an insult, although i might add that the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive)

AVP
04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
As I recall, Disney met with Cirque a year or more ago to discuss putting in a show in Anaheim. The rumor was they were talking about DCA or DTD for a temporary show. Like when they brought in the extreme sports thing.Yeah, it even had a name: Cirque DCA. It was supposed to be the summer after the X Games, but never happened.

AVP

sdfilmcritic
04-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, since Anaheim and Las Vegas are theoratically "too close" to each other than I recommend Cirque places a permanent location in Michigan because it's nowhere near Florida, Vegas, or California. :rolleyes: Does it really matter if it's "too close" when the nearest permanent location is in a completely different state?

kflo
04-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Well let me reminisce back to my Hyperion Days and seeing Anne Hamburger come around and discussing with an entourage of people about what would go here and there... Ah yes, I remember hearing about the Blue Man Group coming to Hyperon next!!! I disagree about Disney themed shows in DCA... DCA is not about Disney Characters its about California... There wasn't suppose to be any characters in the park, but they brought them to get the kids in the park etc... But I loved it with Blast.... I think the farthest they should go with Disney theming would be a show that used Disney themed music and that is it... if thats the case, then theres a lot of things that we need to get rid of at Disneyland to make it Disney themed... I doubt Cirque coming to Disney, but some Blue Man Group people had been casing DCA for quite some time! So we'll c... I think if Aladdin closes up something with that much High Caliber enthusiasm should go into that theater