PDA

View Full Version : Oh, heck no! Buzz show gone?

Pages : [1] 2

Pirate Princess
04-11-2005, 03:12 PM
This is an emergency! (At least to my 4 year old boy.) What happened to the Buzz Lightyear show on the Buzz stage??? Last year it was the highlight of my son's birthday. I just looked on disneyland.com and saw this: Club Buzz Stage Presents Brooke & the Boys & Club Buzz Stage Presents The Antix.
Somebody please tell me this is wrong. Please make it all better. :crying:

Rhiannon8404
04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Oh, no! Do you mean the "Call all Space Scouts" show? We were there in Nov 04 and my son loved it!

experiment626
04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
The show was closed last month due to the opening of the new Buzz Lighyear Ride.

Pirate Princess
04-11-2005, 03:19 PM
We can't have our cake and eat it too??? Errr.

Disney Vault
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I am glad that thing is gone. And the stage looks so much better without the "props" (space junk) on it.

Disneyfreak
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
It was an eyesore for Tomorrowland and I hope the whole stage gets trashed. Disneyland is not a kiddie park, it is a family park, get something that the whole family can enjoy and do it with some class, not some gaudy character that has nothing to do with tomorrowland in the first place.

Flint
04-11-2005, 04:23 PM
It was an eyesore for Tomorrowland and I hope the whole stage gets trashed. Disneyland is not a kiddie park, it is a family park, get something that the whole family can enjoy and do it with some class, not some gaudy character that has nothing to do with tomorrowland in the first place.

/nod
total agreement.

The infantilization of DL has to stop.

tahnok100
04-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't have anything against a show for kids, but that stage! I never watch shows at Disneyland so it doesn’t effect me, but the stage is something that makes me wince every time I walk by it.

Pirate Princess
04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Disneyland is not a kiddie park, it is a family park, get something that the whole family can enjoy
Yes, you are correct, Disneyland is a family park. Which means every member of the family should have a specific part catered to them. A young child cannot ride Indy, SpaceMountain etc. To compensate, or while other, older, family members are enjoying these attractions a young child can get her/his wiggles out by watching a very informal show (unlike Aladdin for example). It is unfair and sad to think that you are inferring that young children should not have a special show that is their own in the park. Too many shows, and movies, today are making things more and more enjoyable for adults (for example including too many adult jokes that get lost on children) and forgetting who their target audience is. An example of this was just today I took my child to a play for children. Everyone in attendance, other than the adults, was within two years of my son. The kids only laughed once. The adults, a few dozen times. If there were 10+ year olds they would have laughed too. But why forget about the young ones?

Uncle Remus
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes, you are correct, Disneyland is a family park. Which means every member of the family should have a specific part catered to them. A young child cannot ride Indy, SpaceMountain etc. To compensate, or while other, older, family members are enjoying these attractions a young child can get her/his wiggles out by watching a very informal show (unlike Aladdin for example). It is unfair and sad to think that you are inferring that young children should not have a special show that is their own in the park. Too many shows, and movies, today are making things more and more enjoyable for adults (for example including too many adult jokes that get lost on children) and forgetting who their target audience is. An example of this was just today I took my child to a play for children. Everyone in attendance, other than the adults, was within two years of my son. The kids only laughed once. The adults, a few dozen times. If there were 10+ year olds they would have laughed too. But why forget about the young ones?

You are missing the point though. Todays Disney Builds the big rides to attract a larger audience and keep that audience. The older Disney created E Tickets for the whole family like Pirates and Haunted. They also build smaller rides that everyone can enjoy (IE: Fantasyland).

Disney shouldn't be building little kid shows and attractions because it dumbs down the audience so parents can't enjoy it. Atleast when the little kids get older they can enjoy space mountain, splash, and indy. Kids enjoy HM and Pirates because its a fun filled envirnment with real life pirates and ghosts that move! The parents enjoy those attractions because it doesn't involve things like looking for blues clues or feeling like an idiot.

Main Point: If disney made shows/attractions that tell storys that don't involve you feeling like an idiot as an adult and still entertain the kiddies. You have a winning attraction hands down.

Disneyfreak
04-11-2005, 09:40 PM

The only people that cannot ride it are toddlers and really small children. The audience is quite large for rides like Indy. The attraction height limits are not high at all. I see 5 year olds go on Indy and TOT all the time. I actually saw a 4 year old go on TOT.

Pirate Princess
04-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Yes, I am talking about toddlers and small children. Come on. One show per park for them... that's not asking too much. Playhouse Disney @ DCA and Buzz @ Disney. What do you think Walt would think about the anti-toddler (or short 4 & 5 year old, or children scared of the "scary" rides) movement?
AND...
I loved the Buzz show! Very entertaining for myself who loves Pixar and Toy Story.

Disneyfreak
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Yes, I am talking about toddlers and small children. Come on. One show per park for them... that's not asking too much. Playhouse Disney @ DCA and Buzz @ Disney. What do you think Walt would think about the anti-toddler (or short 4 & 5 year old, or children scared of the "scary" rides) movement?
AND...
I loved the Buzz show! Very entertaining for myself who loves Pixar and Toy Story.

Snow White, parades, Fantasmic, Merlin, fireworks?

GrumpyUTboi
04-12-2005, 06:49 AM
Your right! Walt DID NOT BUILD DL for his daughter that BTW was a kid. Oh wait it was built for kids..... all of us that are kids at heart

stan4d_steph
04-12-2005, 06:53 AM
This is an emergency! (At least to my 4 year old boy.) What happened to the Buzz Lightyear show on the Buzz stage??? Last year it was the highlight of my son's birthday. I just looked on disneyland.com and saw this: Club Buzz Stage Presents Brooke & the Boys & Club Buzz Stage Presents The Antix.What are the times for the performances? In the past the bands played in the evenings, after the Buzz Lightyear shows had finished for the day.

ChipmunkStar
04-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Snow White- For everyone
Parades- For everyone
Fantasmic- Um yeah, for everyone
Merlin- Even an older person gets chosen to pull the sword, so everyone
Fireworks- I think Everyone enjoys fireworks (for the most part)

I guess Aladdin's Oasis is the last seemingly kid-focused show in Disneyland Park....

Rhiannon8404
04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Well, the stage is kinda ugly, but as long as it's still there, it would be nice if they still had the show.

Terri
04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Just a thought here...

Yes, Disneyland is for Family and for everyone to remain a "kid at heart." And yes, there are many rides, shows, etc that are for kids or people of any age. However, being someone who has spent 45 years in the park and have been bringing my child since he was born 11 years ago, there has to be something that is specific to kids under the age of 6. I know there are a lot of rides and shows available for all ages, however a lot of very small kids are actually scared or bored by these.

For those of you who thought the Buzz show, etc was an eyesore - you should have seen it through the eyes of those it was designed for. They were enthralled by the entire event. And as a parent, I loved that the kids loved it. My son will be sad to hear the show isn't there anymore because it was something from his "childhood" and not mine. I'm somewhat disheartened to hear that "true" disney fans would have such a problem with something for small kids within the park. Wow. It's really okay to share with small children - they share their park with you and do so happily without putting down things they don't like. You see - it's all magic. And it's there for anyone and everyone who cares to share in the magic.

Just my 2 cents...

My2kidsrule
04-12-2005, 10:24 AM
I was wondering if some of the famous kid-bashers would come out after this post. Personally, I didn't like the show. But my 4-year-old son LOVED it. On the other hand, he absolutely refused to go on Peter Pan because the croc scared him. Both kid things. Different taste.

I HATE the Tiki Room, but I don't rant against the people who like it. Disneyland is supposed to have something for everyone in the family. And by building, tearing down, changing, adding and retheming, it does a darn good job, so let the parent and her kid like their show. He'll find something else to like, and you all can go back to ranting against strollers on some other post.

I just read some of the other daffy-duck-like "it's my park, mine! mine! mine!" replies and had to put something else on here: My son rode the Matterhorn when he was 2. But he won't go near the Haunted Mansion, and he's not tall enough for Indy. Let's just all try to remember that you don't have to love every inch of the place to love Disneyland. I will never ever go to Tom Sawyer's Island. It has zero relevance or appeal to me. I did the canoes once. never again. I wish Club Buzz was Tomorrowland Terrace. But I'm not going to blindly say that disneyland is being "infantilized" when it's always been for kids of all ages.

Jeez. I am SO hopeful that a couple of you don't have kids because you're missing the real point. I have hundreds of great memories of Disneyland from my 32-year life. But No. 1 by a million miles is the moment my son first walked through the tunnel. He had no preconceived notions and no ideas about all the things that Pressler, et al, had "ruined." It's Disneyland. To him, it's perfect every time we go.

Tigertail777
04-12-2005, 11:22 AM
I fail to see how dumbed down shows are supposed to be some big thing for toddlers... this dumbing down thing is pretty recent you do realize? Shows for kids in the past were more "adult" because thats what kids yearned to be; adults. Walt and many other smart movie makers, and television program makers knew this and didnt play down to kids, because even kids know when they are being pandered to. Walt himself specifically said he didnt want to "play down to kids" for this very reason. I know as a kid even as far back as I can remember; 4, and 5 years old I HATED more than anything in the world being pandered to and treated like a "widdle kid". There is a difference between giving respect to kids as if they have intelligence, and still realizing that they are on the threshold of innocence. Many of the older Disney cartoons have many subtle layers of context and jokes that you may not "get" at certain ages, but as you grow up you will, thats one of the great things about well done Disney: you dont just throw it away like old pajamas from when you were 5 years old, you keep growing into it. I still find things that amaze me; did you know that the poolhall in Pinnochio was a subtle injoke based on the worlds fair pylon and sphere at the time?

I am sorry, but playing DOWN to a audience, no matter who that audience is, is never a good idea. Its always best if you respect the audience, and as part of that, know that they can think and have a brain... even if they dont fully "get" it now, they will later and will appreciate it all the more because of it. This dumbing down is a recent phenomona born out of psychiatrist fears about children and how they progress, fears and opinions, which I may add have never been fully justified or proven. Laa Laa and Tinky Winky MIGHT be okay for 2-3 year olds, but where are they allowed to progress from there? Something like seseme street is better in my mind because it allows for more learning and progression rather than banal repetition, and playing down to an audience.

Personally this dumbing down is part of the disease of political correctness that I think is dragging down America bit by bit into a backwards progression. I would rather have kids watch a tribal indian dance like frontierland used to have and learn a little something, than be shown a bunch of eye candy and listen to a script that will dumb down their IQ's.

Thats my two cents.

Marty
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
"it's my park, mine! mine! mine!"

I agree with My2kidsrule, this is an attitude that litters these boards. When people attack an attraction because it doesn’t appeal to everyone what they are really saying is that the attraction doesn’t appeal to them. Which of course is alright, but at least be honest about it. Its one thing to have personal dislikes, it’s quite another to extrapolate these personal opinions into wider arguments that conveniently dismiss every disliked attraction.

It strains the bounds of common sense to suggest that Walt’s purpose was to have every attraction, every show, every character interaction, every dining choice and every shopping venue appeal to everyone all the time. The point was that Disney as a whole needed to have wide appeal. The challenge has always been to present a good balance – not every attraction will appeal to every demographic but every demographic will find plenty that appeals to it. Now if Disney is presenting too many kid shows, then it’s fair to argue that this balance is being thrown off. But I think it’s quite evident that this is not the case at this point in DL. It so happens that I didn’t like the show either. But I’m not going to invalidate the pleasure others took from it just because it didn’t appeal to me.

krissy1977
04-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I must say I have to agree with gonearctic. For me the show was just okay, but seeing my four-year-old son watch the show and all the excitement he had made it all worth it for me! He'll be disappointed that it's gone when we go in August, but I'm sure the new Buzz ride will more than make up for his disappointment.

Does anyone know if Buzz still makes an appearance in Tomorrowland since he was usually found just right after the Calling All Space Scouts show? We'll need to know where to find him when we go!

Terri
04-12-2005, 12:16 PM
...This dumbing down is a recent phenomona born out of psychiatrist fears about children and how they progress, fears and opinions, which I may add have never been fully justified or proven. Laa Laa and Tinky Winky MIGHT be okay for 2-3 year olds, but where are they allowed to progress from there? Something like seseme street is better in my mind because it allows for more learning and progression rather than banal repetition, and playing down to an audience.

Personally this dumbing down is part of the disease of political correctness that I think is dragging down America bit by bit into a backwards progression. I would rather have kids watch a tribal indian dance like frontierland used to have and learn a little something, than be shown a bunch of eye candy and listen to a script that will dumb down their IQ's.

Thats my two cents.

Wow...
For the record, my personal experience from being a child and having the honor of raising a child - I didn't see the Buzz Lightyear show as a "dumbing down." Rather it was fun. My son is 11 and has a genius level IQ. He has spent his life in an adult world and has an incredible comprehension level (more than most adults I've met) and he STILL loved the Buzz show. He's still a kid. He hated the TellyTubbies and Barney, but loved Sesame Street. He "gets" the inside jokes and knows that the ones he doesn't "get" now, he'll understand in the future. I personally participated in the Indian dances and loved the area, however I didn't learn anything from it. It was simply fun to play "cowboys and indians" and be an indian for once. It was taken out long before this ridiculous idea of political correctness came into being.

I'm curious as to how old those of you are that have such a strong dislike for the Buzz show and anything geared toward the younger children that visit Disneyland. I'm also curious to how many kids you have or have raised and why you feel the need to excise all "young" attractions.

I agree with My2KidsRule and Marty - if you don't like it, don't go on it or go to see it. I personally can't stomach ToonTown, but I've seen the kids there and they love it - just not my cup of tea. Tear it down? Do away with the silly little kid things there? No - I can simply avoid it. If there are people in ToonTown, then they aren't on the rides and attractions I want to see.

It's a big park. It's okay to not like everything in it. And it's especially okay to share the park with kids of ALL ages, races, religions, and orientations. Disneyland is not an analogy of the world, rather it is for the world to come to and have a good, clean, safe time with everyone.

passthepixiedust
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Blech.... who wants their children to live in a world where everything has to be educational and nothing is allowed to be just for fun ? Your talking about DISNEYLAND ! please.....

Buzz is FUN. Big crazy-looking oversized props are fun. I'm with Arctic on this one.

I like that there is something for everyone at Disneyland. It's not that you shouldn't voice (or type) your opinion on something, it's just that one or two of the posts in this thread seemed.......well, kinda fanatic.....

My2kidsrule
04-12-2005, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry, but the Buzz show is no more "dumbed down" than anything else at DLR. Just try to see that just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it is stupid to everyone.

For my biggest non-Disney examples, I point to the love-hate attitudes toward Monty Python, Rocky and Bullwinkle and even SpongeBob. All have smartness behind some incredible stupidity, and some people hate all of them. I'm not saying the Buzz show is on that level. Far from it. But not everything is going to be genius.

Sometimes, ya just want to hear a couple songs, do some dances and see a woman wear leggings that really don't fit her... :-)

I'm moving on to happier threads now. I'm sorry to the OP that her kiddo won't see the show again, but with JoJo added to the Playhouse Disney show, there's something new...