PDA

View Full Version : I miss Adventure Thru Inner Space!

Pages : [1] 2

The old man
04-11-2005, 01:52 PM
While not the most sophisticated ride it gave me a sense of peace to be riding in a two person car with its own speaker system. Though similar to HM you felt more isolated and immersed in your own thoughts and experiences.

I know we could do these "what I miss most" threads all day this one has been tugging at me lately.

David

Subsonic
04-11-2005, 02:00 PM
I do too. People have gone out of their wait to bring back some of the Innerspace memories. http://www.atommobiles.com/ for example is a great site. I own his DVD, the ride through is fantatsic. Though, there's not that many cool extra features.

Also, there's stations that have the audio ride throughs as well.

Personally, I love omnimover attractions. They are so efficient to board. The line is always flowing.

That eyeball used to freak me out when I was younger. I barely rememebr the attraction now.

The old man
04-11-2005, 02:07 PM
I was not aware of this site! Man, it's amazing that no matter one's interest there is someone out there who is not only interested but dedicated. Also how the internet makes it easy to get the info out.
David

Borgnineus
04-11-2005, 02:14 PM
That was my favorite ride as a child. As I grew older it was the great "make-out" ride. Ahh.... good times :)

Borgnineus
04-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Wow, I just checked out the site selling the dvd. Thats pretty lame, selling the dvd for 20 bones. A bootleg, of a disney ride. This could be easily shared on usenet or thru bittorrent.

Subsonic
04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Wow, I just checked out the site selling the dvd. Thats pretty lame, selling the dvd for 20 bones. A bootleg, of a disney ride. This could be easily shared on usenet or thru bittorrent.
Woah! Slow down.

It's not a bootleg. He recreated the entire ride in computer graphics. That's darn impressive in my book.

All I made was part of the skyway and peoplemover in CG for a Tomorrowland theme on my site. And that took a week for each one. Skyway (http://www.subsonicradio.com/fan_art/skyway.jpg) Peoplemover (http://www.subsonicradio.com/fan_art/peoplemover_new.jpg) Steve's done the entire attraction.

The Old Man
You can listen to the ride through on my site.

The old man
04-11-2005, 02:38 PM
It also reminded me of how the Peoplemover passed through it. I love when rides intersect. Like when you're on the train and pass through Splash Mountain.
David

MrsG
04-11-2005, 03:06 PM
And it was a great ride to go on when you used up all your tickets!

Earkid
04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I have the DVD and it is AWESOME. So detailed it is amazing. To me, it was worth the $20, not just to view the DVD but to support and thank Steve for spending two years of his life to reproduce this ride so accurately using CG. ATIS was one of my all time fav rides and seeing it again was priceless.

He will not make a profit from this, he did it just for the love of the ride.

merlinjones
04-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I miss the ride dearly - - but I disgree that it was not a "sophisticated ride" - - indeed it was. The "shrinking feeling" it created through backward, downward movement and enlarging design elements was brilliant. And the psychedelic nature of the effects, combined with the melodramatic nature of the narration, made it unlike any other ride. It was also a transcendant, immersive, fantastic experience.

So some of the visual effects needed updating after 20 years - - the concept and execution of the original remians unique, relevant and valid still. Let's see it again, with new effects!

BTW - - that recreation DVD is awesome!!!

Wendi
04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Maaaag-nuuuuh-fuuu-caaaa-tion!!!

John
04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I’ve been teaching chemistry for twenty five years yet the only place I’ve ever seen a water molecule was in ATIS ;)

I've just ordered my copy of the DVD.

melmel
04-11-2005, 06:17 PM
The ride I miss most is Country Bear Jamboree. Right before it closed, I blew it off to go on Splash Mountain, because I was 15, and WAY too cool for that. It was stupid of me and I regret it ever since. :(

But I'm way to young to have ever ridden ATIS... wish I could have though.... it seems like so much fun! yesterland.com makes me wish I was 30 years older!

Marox3
04-11-2005, 06:50 PM
As kids, my father totally convinced us we were shrinking. It use to scare the crap out of me.

I miss it terribly. :crying:

The old man
04-11-2005, 07:05 PM
merlinjones wrote, "...The 'shrinking feeling' it created through... downward movement..."

Yes, I loved that downward movement too.

David

stitchlvr
04-11-2005, 08:20 PM
This was always one of my favorite rides. I miss it too. I regret not being able to take my daughter on it. Plus, I can't go on Star Tours. I get motion sickness on it. Don't ask me why!

The old man
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
This was always one of my favorite rides. I miss it too. I regret not being able to take my daughter on it. Plus, I can't go on Star Tours. I get motion sickness on it. Don't ask me why!
I can go on ST once, but if my 7 year old daughter wants to go again I can't for the same reason as you.
David

04-12-2005, 05:13 AM
And it was a great ride to go on when you used up all your tickets!

It was cool and dark and away from the hot concrete. Otherwise ... eh.

hayesmama
04-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I love this DVD. Excellent quality. It's worth every dime. I appreciate the hard work Steve put into it-- I was blown away. I love to see the looks on the faces of friends while they watch it. They just are in awe, like a kid again. I think it's the little things they have forgotten about the ride that surprise and delight them the most. Best of all, I get to show my kids an extinct attraction!
I agree with David---I love intersecting rides. Always have! Especially in tomorrowland. Going through Splash Mtn via the train is one of my kids' favorite things.

Borgnineus
04-12-2005, 07:54 AM
Woah! Slow down.

It's not a bootleg. He recreated the entire ride in computer graphics. That's darn impressive in my book.

Whoops, shame on me for my ignorance. I thought it was just an old video of the ride.

Subsonic
04-12-2005, 08:30 AM
I have the DVD and it is AWESOME. So detailed it is amazing. To me, it was worth the $20, not just to view the DVD but to support and thank Steve for spending two years of his life to reproduce this ride so accurately using CG. ATIS was one of my all time fav rides and seeing it again was priceless.
I had already donated 20 bucks for him to help pay for a new hard drive.
Again, the ride through is fantastic. I just wished there was more special features. He has a lot of neat stuff on his site, like blue prints. It would have been nice to see that on teh DVD as well.

mad4mky
04-12-2005, 08:45 AM
I have fond memories of that ride.

Not because I found it interesting...but for other reasons. My first husband and I enjoyed the ride, as a time to hug and cuddle... :rolleyes:

One time, we got 'stuck' in front of the neucleus...with that red thing going on and off...on and off...for about 10 minutes.
Just a few minutes earlier, we had smelled pot...along the omnimover route. I guess a few other guests ahead of us were enjoying themselves too. But, they stopped the ride and the Castmembers personally 'helped' those guests off the ride (wasn't that nice of them??? ;) ). Now how other guests don't know their are cameras around the ride...astounds me.
But heck...here I was all of 20 years old...making out on that ride... :rolleyes:

sunfun94
04-12-2005, 08:48 AM
I was real young when that attraction was opporable (sp?)..the only thing I remember is the giant eye...I do remember enjoying the ride though

AmandasDad
04-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Just imagine what they could do with that ride with today's technology. The effects could be great. Plus, we know so much more about the really small world (after all:)

merlinjones
04-12-2005, 10:38 AM
I have shown the GC-recreation DVD both to people who remember ATIS and to people who never experienced it ever and get an equally enthusiatic reaction. They are transfixed, one transported to a long ago memory, the other simply transported into the ride concept and design itself. It is really one of those "Walt Disney" things that still plays to new generations for all the same reasons.

"Why did they take that out? I'd love to ride that!" is the common response in 2005.

Bring it back with new effects - - It's a proven crowd-pleaser, and highly promotable.