PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain - That Red... Thing

Pages : [1] 2

HorizonsA
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
OK, so I was readind the update and it states that Space Mountain will be totally dark. This pops up a question. Do you guys remember that red planet-like thing you saw when you first got out of Lift B? Well, will it still be there or is it out?

Gosh I can't wait to find out!!!!

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
disneyland only had one lift so wouldnt lift B. be the same as lift A??? any way the giant chocolate chip cookie (planet) and the big red sun wil hopfully be replaced :) I'm fairly sure they have been.

AVP
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Do you guys remember that red planet-like thing you saw when you first got out of Lift B? Well, will it still be there or is it out? An updated version of it will be there, and it will look like your rocket barely avoids colliding with it. They are using the kind of projector used at rock concerts, which they say will allow them to change the perspective of the projection as you approach it, so it's going to look like a near-miss.

When they said the mountain would be totally dark, they meant free of light leaks. You know how you could once look down and see all of the light bleed from the projectors on the floor? They say they've solved that, and even painted the floor black. They say it will look like you are travelling through a realistic spacescape. Here, click on this (http://www.milkyway.co.za/images/V838Mon_08022004.jpg), and imagine that type of image projected inside the dome of the mountain.

AVP

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
oohhhhhh. shiney

TOTFan
04-11-2005, 01:19 PM
An updated version of it will be there, and it will look like your rocket barely avoids colliding with it. They are using the kind of projector used at rock concerts, which they say will allow them to change the perspective of the projection as you approach it, so it's going to look like a near-miss.

When they said the mountain would be totally dark, they meant free of light leaks. You know how you could once look down and see all of the light bleed from the projectors on the floor? They say they've solved that, and even painted the floor black. They say it will look like you are travelling through a realistic spacescape. Here, click on this (http://www.milkyway.co.za/images/V838Mon_08022004.jpg), and imagine that type of image projected inside the dome of the mountain.

AVP

Geez I didn't know you have
A. Rode the new Space Mountain
B. Deisigned it
C. Just guessing like the rest.

Hmmmm wonder which one it could be.

It is a mystery to us all till you actually go on the ride.

Shinku
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
You never know with AVP. ;)

Andrew
04-11-2005, 01:37 PM
I feel safer with AVP's guesses than with most other people's facts.

AVP
04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
B. Deisigned it

It is a mystery to us all till you actually go on the ride.I'm sorry, I tend to forget that there are people who belong to this discussion board who may not know who all of the MousePlanet staff and columnists are.

Allow me to introduce myself to you. My name is Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix. I am one of the founding members of MousePlanet, and represent MousePlanet at many Disneyland press events. Three weeks ago, I attended a presentation made by Imagineers to members of the media. At that event, Chrissie Allen, Senior Show Producer for the new Space Mountain, explained IN DETAIL, and with photos, what the new Space Mountain would look like. I wrote about it here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050411.htm) - perhaps you read it this morning?

So the answer to your question is D. None of the Above.

AVP

Subsonic
04-11-2005, 02:05 PM
disneyland only had one lift so wouldnt lift B. be the same as lift A??? any way the giant chocolate chip cookie (planet) and the big red sun wil hopfully be replaced :) I'm fairly sure they have been.
Uh? There's 3 lifts. I should know. I've walked up them many-a-times. Whew, makes me tired thinking about it.

olegc
04-11-2005, 02:06 PM

AVP

Smart aleck! :p

TOTFan
04-11-2005, 02:13 PM
again until you ride it, then it will be offical

AVP
04-11-2005, 02:21 PM
again until you ride it, then it will be officalRight... because an official presentation by the official Imagineer who officially designed the ride won't be official until someone unofficial gets to ride it.

Oh, I get it, it's like Schrodinger's Cat...

AVP

Corwin17
04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Here, click on this (http://www.milkyway.co.za/images/V838Mon_08022004.jpg), and imagine that type of image projected inside the dome of the mountain. I always see that pic and think ... ."Ulkesh"?!?! :eek: :geek: :eek: :geek: :eek:

{/me sits back and wonders if anyone gets the reference}

Shinku
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM

This is why I love you, ma'am. :p

mkcbunny
04-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Three weeks ago, I attended a presentation made by Imagineers to members of the media. At that event, Chrissie Allen, Senior Show Producer for the new Space Mountain, explained IN DETAIL, and with photos, what the new Space Mountain would look like.

Thank you for your info. I have two general questions about the new SM:

1) So is the space effect in the end going to resemble the SM ride at WDW, or are they aiming to improve over those effects?

2) Any talk about improved seating or restraints? or are the cars pretty much the same and the upgrades are in the rest of the experience? I know, I am a wuss. It's just a mousetrap coaster in the dark. I ride all kinds of coasters, and for some reason Space Mountain just freaks me out. It's a combination of being in the dark and not feeling held in place. Other dark coasters that have full inversions and clamp-down restraints don't scare me like SM does, because of the safety arms holding you down. The first time I rode SM, I thought I was, quite literally, going to be thrown out and die. For some reason, maybe better belting, SM in Florida is a tad less scary for me.

cstephens
04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
B. Deisigned it

I think it's good that you're sceptical about information that's posted on the internet. Some people believe everything that's written on the internet. However, the mark of someone who's savvy about the internet is knowing whose information is solid and whose information is crap. If you treat everything as solid, you're going to make a fool of yourself by passing along bad info. If you treat everything as crap, you're gonna miss out on some good information.

Captain Josh
I once read a Choose Your Own Adventure Book version of Shrodinger's Cat.

It wasn't that fun, there was only one choice, and they both ended up with me getting eaten by crabs.

Corwin17
Smart aleck! :pSee, AVP, they know you already! :fez:

Flint
04-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Right... because an official presentation by the official Imagineer who officially designed the ride won't be official until someone unofficial gets to ride it.

AVP

So many <3 's for AVP! <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

AVP
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
1) So is the space effect in the end going to resemble the SM ride at WDW, or are they aiming to improve over those effects?Me sense is that these will be better than WDW, not quite as good as the new DLP version, and far superior than what we had three years ago. However, THAT is speculation - the Imagineers certainly weren't making negative comparisons to other versions.

2) Any talk about improved seating or restraints? or are the cars pretty much the same and the upgrades are in the rest of the experience?The rockets are "redesigned," but they provided no details. I do not believe they have been significantly changed, but again we did not see specifics about the new vehicles.

AVP

mkcbunny
04-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Thanks, AVP, on both answers. I'll be trying it despite fear, as I always go once each trip just for the sake of a friend. But she knows she's asking a lot of me. I try to relax, but it's just not fun scary, it's scary scary!! or was, past tense. Love the effects in WDW, btw, so improving on those will make DLR version go down a bit better for me. The "wow" factor may make me forget my fear for two seconds. :)

melmel
04-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I once read a Choose Your Own Adventure Book version of Shrodinger's Cat.

It wasn't that fun, there was only one choice, and they both ended up with me getting eaten by crabs.

:p

HILARIOUS

Captain Josh
04-11-2005, 06:49 PM
:p

HILARIOUS
Glad you got it, melmel.

jon80flt
04-11-2005, 08:53 PM
oohhhhhh. shiney
Sponge Bob? :D

Disneyfreak
04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry, I tend to forget that there are people who belong to this discussion board who may not know who all of the MousePlanet staff and columnists are.

Allow me to introduce myself to you. My name is Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix. I am one of the founding members of MousePlanet, and represent MousePlanet at many Disneyland press events. Three weeks ago, I attended a presentation made by Imagineers to members of the media. At that event, Chrissie Allen, Senior Show Producer for the new Space Mountain, explained IN DETAIL, and with photos, what the new Space Mountain would look like. I wrote about it here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050411.htm) - perhaps you read it this morning?

AVP

PWNED. :~D