PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose (hotel)?

Pages : [1] 2

hlbtimes2
04-11-2005, 07:50 AM
We are planning a trip in Oct. I've been checking prices on line, and will be booking later this month (waiting for dh's spring bonus). We have decided to spend the extra and stay at a Disney property this time. We usually go for a cheap place, but really want an extra special trip this time.

We were talking about staying at the DLH. Now, I've been finding that there is no regular level rooms available. I'll call Disney travel and AAA and double check before I book, but as of right now they only have concierge rooms available at DHL. So, my question- for the same price would you pick Concierge level at DLH or stanard/ city view at the GC? Any why?

One of the things that really draws us to the DLH is- its the original, classic Disney property and we would love to swim in the Neverland Pool. But the location of the GC is sure tempting.

dlandnut
04-11-2005, 07:53 AM
Do the concierge level at DH. We've done it many times, and it is will worth the money. We've stayed at the GC with the city view, nice, but the concierge level at DH makes it by far the best deal. :)

The old man
04-11-2005, 08:01 AM
One of the things that really draws us to the DLH is- its the original, classic Disney property...
FYIW the DLH was not orignally a Disney property, even though it was called the Disneyland Hotel. I think the first true Disney properties were the first three hotels in WDW.
I may stand corrected however on both points.
David

hlbtimes2
04-11-2005, 08:06 AM
FYIW the DLH was not orignally a Disney property, even though it was called the Disneyland Hotel. I think the first true Disney properties were the first three hotels in WDW.
I may stand corrected however on both points.
David

Ok, I'll rephrase it- its the closest thing to an original Disneyland property. Now, which would you choose!? :D

scaeagles
04-11-2005, 08:07 AM
If you have small children, I'd stay at the GC. The location is simply perfect when it comes to quick access to rooms for naps or after watching a late parade. To our family it is a huge advantage and worth paying for.

If you don't have small children though, and quick access isn't that big of a deal, do the concierge. I've never done DLH concierge, but would love to when the kids get a bit older.

The old man
04-11-2005, 08:26 AM
Ok, I'll rephrase it- its the closest thing to an original Disneyland property. Now, which would you choose!? :D
Too far to walk. Our first visit to DL with our 4 year old we stayed there. Ever since we stay at the crummy BWPPI. Half the price with 1/4 the walk.
David

MsYumiBr
04-11-2005, 08:30 AM
If you've stayed at DLH before and then try the concierge, you will realize concierge is the experience at the hotel you were expecting in the first place! My husband says that's the only way to stay at DL and likes it because they have wine and cheese time where hubby can have free beer in the concierge lounge and kids can have cookies and milk. They have great snacks (all free) and sodas, water, packaged pb&j sandwiches that you can take into the park, fruit like apples and bananas, a great dessert spread. I love the fact that we leave the room to go to the park and when we get back for a nap, the room is clean. Then, when we go back to the park and come back for sleep, they give us turn down service, the room is clean again, and they leave lots of chocolate coins and arrange stuffed animals, etc. It's so worth it!

bradk
04-11-2005, 08:32 AM
free is a relative term i'd just like to add.

04-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Grand Californian Hotel, hands down

It's so close to both parks and the atmosphere is a calm refuge.

stan4d_steph
04-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Grand Californian Hotel, hands down

It's so close to both parks and the atmosphere is a calm refuge.Ditto.

ftroop6
04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Grand Californian is my choice. Although I love the size of the rooms at the DLH I didn't think the concierge was worth it.(I can bring my own goldfish crackers) Now the concierge at the Grand it wonderful.

dlandnut
04-11-2005, 09:06 AM
Trust me, if you have teenagers with bottomless pits, the Concierge is worth it. All the pop, cookies, snacks, cerals in the morning, fruit, etc., etc. that is for the taking. If you have smaller children and/or food isn't a big priority, the GC is worth it for the ambience, convenience, etc. But for those bottomless pits (especially teenage boys, lol), the Concierge pays for itself. :)

bradk
04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
if you can drink $200 worth of soda or beer a night, sure. (or whatever the price differential is)

yellowrosedtxn
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
I think teenage boys can hold their own with eating $200.00 worth of food at DL. I wouldn't know what to do either. I know we are staying at DLH when we go, but I couldn't see spending the extra 200.00 a night for us. I am going to buy our snacks when we get there.

hlbtimes2
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Brad, while I understand what you are saying about "free" being relative- in this case it sort of is. Its about $1600 for the 4 of us for 4 nights hotel and 5 day park hoppers. So, we can either have the concierge level at DLH or regular room at GC. Unless, like I said, I call disney travel or AAA and they have some rooms that arent showing up on line. I cant call yet, because I dont have money for payment. We will get it in the next 2 weeks or so.

My kids are going to be 3 and 7 at the time- so not big eaters. We dont really drink anymore so we wont be taking part in the wine and beer. Well, I might have a beer, but not more then one or two and dh wont have any.

dlandnut
04-11-2005, 09:26 AM
There are 12 of us going - 8 are teenagers (I know, I'm crazy). Anyway, if you all eat breakfast each morning in a restaurant, at $10 each minimum, plus tip, there's roughly $140-$150 right there. Plus pop in the park is what, $3.00 a whack, bottled water, snacks (like cookies). I don't think it is unrealistic to say that Concierge may pay for itself, depending on the party size, ages, etc. Just a thought. :)

MsYumiBr
04-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Wow Brad, I see what you mean. It looks like the difference in the price of a standard room without concierge is $200-$250 a night depending on when you go. 5 person limit per room comes out to $40-$50 per person per day. Is it worth that much to cry when you leave because you want to stay longer? I vote yes for a special occasion, but you can do a lot with that money in other ways.

bradk
04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
yes, if the party is large enough, fine, it becomes more reasonable.

however, since i didn't really formally chime in here, i wouldn't necessarily advocate staying at any disney hotel unless you plan on spending a lot of time in the room in which case, i'd probably push for GCH if you can afford it. DLH really doesn't offer much in way of a tradeoff for its cost. it has a nice pool and pixie dust, but it's still further away than many of the other area hotels. unless you think you'll be spending time in DTD every night, GCH is probably a more logical choice, especially for the Disney experience.

pisces
04-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Grand Californian.

Unless DLH is serving unlimited prime rib and steak, in their lounge, I don't think the food pays for itself. I wouldn't pay for chips and snacky things. Unless they serve some kind of protein, maybe even scrambled eggs.......you can always buy your own bottled water and refill. They need to be serving full meals in that Concierge Lounge to make it worthwile.

You can always go to the 99cents store and get big bags of chips. Chips and crackers that you can bring from home, just don't do it for me.

I would bring my own food and stay GC. Maybe do one all-you-can-eat buffet, and the rest snacks. That should take care of your boys.

Susan L
04-11-2005, 11:25 AM
If you have little ones stay at the DLH. It is perfect for the kids.

If you want up scale stay at the GCH try to get a park view.

You didn't mention the Paradise Pier Hotel. It is a very nice hotel and the rooms with a park view are wonderful.

melmel
04-11-2005, 11:33 AM
If you have little ones stay at the DLH. It is perfect for the kids.

If you want up scale stay at the GCH try to get a park view.

You didn't mention the Paradise Pier Hotel. It is a very nice hotel and the rooms with a park view are wonderful.

But the main complaint here is the distance from the DIsneyland Hotel to the park itself. PPH is SOOOOOO much farther than either hotel. PPH is in the SImba parking lot for God's sake. You'd have to take a tram.

I'm going to be staying for a night for a girlfriend's birthday at DGC on May 24, so I can get back to you then on how the experience there was. But at DGC they have BUNK BEDS... and for your kids, that really might be a lot of fun. And it REALLY is convenient. I've walked in the hotel entrance to Calif. Adv. many times, and it's nice to avoid the main gate traffic.

Disneyland Hotel-- I kind of wanted to stay there for the pool myself... but I wonder if they have some kind of pool pass system, where if you stay at DGC you can go to the DH pool.

Because if you can somehow go to the DH pool but stay at DGC, then do that instead. Most bang for your buck.

And like everyone said, you are not going to eat $200 worth of food per night!

Wendi
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Grand Californian for sure!!!

CoasterChickie
04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Bradk, have you ever actually been to the DLR and/or stayed at any of the DLR hotels? If not, I think you should bite the bullet and go!! Maybe you can even stay at each of the hotels for a night or two and then give us a personal account of what you experience at each one!!! :D

bradk
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
if i could afford it, i would. i just can't justify spending a minimum of $150 per night more when that money can easily be better spent elsewhere.

i personally don't see the point. i know it's an experience and all, but like i said, unless you plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel itself, what good is a beautiful empty room going to do for you?

believe me, i've tried to justify the cost, i've been so tempted to pay $200 a night for DLH in this upcoming trip, but when i'm paying $50 a night for hojos, i'm happy to suffer my consequences for the monetary gains (or losses as it were).

on the opposite side of the country however, i wouldn't recommend staying off-site at WDW if you can get the value resorts for ~$80/night. for the magical express and magic hours + e ticket nights, it more than makes up for any money you might be saving off site.

CoasterChickie
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Have you thought about treating yourself to just one night at the DLH (or GC or PPH) ? If you stay there the last night of your trip you can sleep in and really enjoy the room . You can also use the pool in the early afternoon even though check-out is at 11 am. I think it's worth staying there at least once if you can afford it or don't mind spending the money on it instead of something else.

But I've heard the HoJos is VERY nice too!! When is your trip?