PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' over California

seremarcus
04-10-2005, 06:05 PM
does anyone know what the scenery is in Soarin over California? I am interested in knowing what the fishing/rafting creek is, where the hot air ballons are, where the cowboys are, etc.
thanks!

Elways way
04-10-2005, 06:13 PM
I know the scene where the guys are surfing is just off of Pardise Cove in Malibu. I grew up and there and used to surf the same break.

The golf scene is obviously Palm Springs.....but im not sure which course!

scaeagles
04-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Hot air balloons are in the Napa Valley - where I grew up.

meng85
04-10-2005, 06:24 PM
i think the rafting/fishing is redwood creek bout 270 miles north of the city

Shinku
04-10-2005, 06:33 PM
The golf course is PGA West, there's a marker for it on the grass off to the left.

(I frequent that course in the "off" season ;))

When you're standing in line before the ride and watch the monitor there's a scene where the camera is soaring through clouds and it lists the cities you'll visit.

MrsG
04-10-2005, 06:46 PM
The snowy lake is Lake Tahoe

bradk
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
ironically enough, the WDW site has more information on the locations than the DL site.

TIPS & FUN FACTS
Some of the California locations featured in Soarin' include: Yosemite, Anza Borrego State Park, Point Lobos, San Diego harbor and DisneylandŽ park.

For the scene that takes place at DisneylandŽ park, the film crew had to arrange for a special staging of the Disneyland parade.

disney jones
04-10-2005, 07:27 PM
The golf course is PGA West, there's a marker for it on the grass off to the left.

(I frequent that course in the "off" season ;))which is actually about 25 miles SE of Palm Springs, in La Quinta, CA.

mkcbunny
04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
The falls [and Half Dome] are in Yosemite.

I'd have to see it again to recall where the cowboys are, but there's a chunklet over Death Valley in there, too. The whole thing is a little geographically wacky because it zig-zags around. It's essentially a north-to-south progression, but very loosely mapped. It's been a year since I saw it, though, so I'll have to check it out again in May and see.

MsYumiBr
04-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm from Napa Valley originally and those balloons are definitely floating over the valley somewhere on the North East end because it is so flat an unobstructed in that area, possibly south of the Sterling Vinyards (same view). I live in San Diego and saw my office building several times (waving at it like a goof). I used to go every summer to Trinity county on fishing trips with my parents so I am quite familiar with the Trinity up there and the rafting scenes sure do look like it there. They have Bigfoot rafting which is very popular and could be what the rafts are (look to see if there is a footprint on the boats). Of course, there are several other possible rivers in California that they could be on such as the Eel, Snake, heck, even Sacramento, but my bet is Trinity and if it is not and you want to go rafting, that's the place to go!

charpaul
04-11-2005, 04:48 AM
As you wait in the que for this attraction they list all of the places that you will be "Soaring" over.
This is on the red scrolling reader boards in the first part of the que and on the TV monitors before Patrick comes on as your chief flight attendant today.
I believe they are (I don;t think in correct order :( )
San Francisco (Golden Gate Bridge)
Redwood Creek (Fishing and Rafting)
Monteray Bay (ocean - rocky coast)
Napa Valley (ballooning over the vinyards)
Yosemite (Waterfall/Halfdome - hang glider)
Lake Tahoe (Skiing)
Palm Springs (PGA West - hidden mickey!!!)
Camarillo (Orange Groves)
Anza Borego (Desert and Mtns)
SanDiego (Navy Base)
Malibu (surfing/sunset)
LA (101 Freeway)
Disneyland (Christmas Parade - castmember party - the year before DCA opened)

If I have forgotten anyplace feel free to edit and add - LOL

MsYumiBr
04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh, you are right! I remember now. I saw Camarillo and said, "I used to see that every day on the way to work". Also, San Diego didn't just show the Navy Base because I saw my work downtown and Coronado.

mkcbunny
04-11-2005, 09:51 AM
As you wait in the que for this attraction they list all of the places that you will be "Soaring" over.
This is on the red scrolling reader boards in the first part of the que and on the TV monitors before Patrick comes on as your chief flight attendant today.
Love it. We've all been on this ride, presumably multiple times, and only charpaul paid enough attention to the intro to know the answer to the question. Duh.

Don't feel funny about waving to your office. When the ride flies over Yosemite, I wave at Half Dome and start pointing at trail sections.

MartyLuvsTigger
04-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Oh, you are right! I remember now. I saw Camarillo and said, "I used to see that every day on the way to work". Also, San Diego didn't just show the Navy Base because I saw my work downtown and Coronado.
That funny the hotel were my DH and I met (while working) is in that shot. Also it was before the ballpark was put in.