PDA

View Full Version : Trip To DL-Great Driving Practice?

Pages : [1] 2

MonorailMan
01-10-2002, 01:38 PM
YEA! Just started drving school, and driver training. And mom says, the day I get my permit, were going down to DL and getting APs. YES!!!!!! :D :D :D Ok, but she says I have to drive there (Heck, the Ins. costs more per month than the AP), Is navagting the FreeWays hard? Mom says it's not, but don't want to erm.... lets say, Boom, Boom! :)

tinkfreak
01-10-2002, 01:48 PM
Nah, after a while you'll realize the freeways are easier than the streets. I drive there 5 or 6 days a week and its so boring I often nod off on the way home! (Luckily I have a hands free cell-phone kit and friends/boyfriend to keep me awake).

MickeyD
01-10-2002, 01:49 PM
I guess it depends. What freeway do you take from apple valley to dland, (Sorry I have no clue where apple valley is), as well as what day of the week/time it is. It would probably be best to start with a less crowded freeway, but if that's what your mom says....I doubt it would be too bad.:D

Cadaverous Pallor
01-10-2002, 01:50 PM
Freeway transitions aren't all that tough, once you're used to it. Apple Valley is quite a ways - you'll probably want all those transitions written down for quick reference.

Good luck! Soon you'll be able to come to meet ups! :D

MonorailMan
01-10-2002, 02:04 PM
Well, I know how to get there! I-15, to the 91, to the 55, and right on Katella. Not that bad, and so far the driving instructor Is suprized how much I know about rules of the road. See, when I was small we had a little Pick-Up truck. I had to sit in the front, so I leared all the road rules. Yes, and Meet Ups are in the future. :)

MickeyD
01-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Oh, the 15 is not bad at all. You'll do great.

Not Afraid
01-10-2002, 05:08 PM
I think the Freeways are easier to drive than streets. Yes, its faster, but usually all cars are going in the same direction at relatively the same speed.

On streets, you have cross traffic, cars turning in front of you, various speeds and signals/stop signs. There is much more activity to pay attention to. I've been involved in 5 accidents in my life (driver 4, passenger 1) none of them my fault and all but one happened on the streets.

I learned to drive by driving my family up to Yosemite. 3 hours of freeway and 1 hour of mountain roads. It was a great foundation!

Just try not to make any last minute lane changes and you'll be fine. Besides, I'm sure its a trip you'll be making many times over.

MonorailMan
01-10-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
Just try not to make any last minute lane changes and you'll be fine. Besides, I'm sure its a trip you'll be making many times over.

Many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many times. ;)

Nigel2
01-10-2002, 09:59 PM
As long as you are confident and all that other stuff it shouldn't be too bad (sunday mornings are probably the best times to go since the freeways are much less crowded).

Ace
01-11-2002, 10:53 PM
haha..... when I get my license in LESS THAN 2 YEARS (yes, it's that exciting) the first place i'm going is Disneyland to buy me an AP. and then I'm getting some pie. IN THAT ORDER. what if there was a promotion.....free pie with purchase of AP??? then I guess someone would have to stick a fork in me, because i'd be done. man...this loses so much of its humor since it's typed. If I could record this....it'd be like the Fonz saying "ehhhhhhhhhhh"

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Do they even sell pie in the park? I think they only have cake, try for cake.

Morrigoon
01-11-2002, 11:56 PM
he could get pie over at Mrs Knott's...

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 11:58 PM
Heck any of the resturants arrond DLR and probably at the hotel or even DTD has at least 1 place with pie.

Ace
01-12-2002, 05:56 PM
no pie? I am outraged!

ripplededge
01-12-2002, 06:34 PM
MonorailMan:
"so far the driving instructor Is suprized how much I know about rules of the road."

Don't speed and stop at red lights? =)

Not Afraid:
"I think the Freeways are easier to drive than streets. Yes, its faster, but usually all cars are going in the same direction at relatively the same speed."

Well... it all depends on the time of day and what area you drive in. There have been times that I have just flown on the street, yup flown, like 125 mph. And there have been times that I have been stuck going 2 mph on freeways, not at peak hours even.

Nigel2:
"Do they even sell pie in the park? I think they only have cake, try for cake."

Try Plaza Inn around hoilday season. They have had some kind of apple pie thingy before, and there is that pumpkin pie that they always take out of the box. As we all know they don't make any of their cakes. The only thing that they really make is their ranch dressing.

MonorailMan
01-12-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by ripplededge
MonorailMan:
"so far the driving instructor Is suprized how much I know about rules of the road."
[

NO! :D Like how about you should only go 15 MPH when approching a RRXING and can only see less than 200 feet down the tracks. Or, how about when driving in fog, use your low beams. Ok, I know a little too much. But hey, can never know too much.

ripplededge
01-12-2002, 07:04 PM
MonorailMan:
"Ok, I know a little too much. But hey, can never know too much."

Uhhh... that's knowing too much? I thought that you actually jumped out of your car to measure if you were 18 inches or less away from the curb, when you park. =) enjoy the license... make me happy and use your blinkers.
Make me even more happy and speed, so I can get home faster from work.

Ace
01-12-2002, 08:25 PM
still I am outraged with the lack of pie. you guys still "drive"? that is so last century. I just teleport where I need to go.

DisneyGurly
01-12-2002, 09:07 PM
i just got my permit, and went driving for the first time today with the instructor. it was a lot of fun, and he took me around disneyland. i thought it was the coolest thing driving where i love to go.

Nigel2
01-12-2002, 09:34 PM
(Snickers) for someone who claims to know about disneyland you lack much little one(kidding):D

But I have to say that Mono man will slowly start to let the little "rules of the road" (like looking down train tracks, staying exactly 18 inches from the curb when parking, stoping at signs, signaling...:D) go after a while, we all do (unless you are anal retentive). I do have to say when I did drivers training (I couldn't get into that class untill december since I couldn't make class in Nov) we did it at night during christmas, so pretty. Drving Arround the mission, the nice houses in MV, SC, SJC,...:D But the best place to practice (well mabey not any more) is El Toro Base (tustin is good too, but I prefer to recreate the time travel sceene from AP2 in the hanger:D, but that was years ago, now I just drive fast) since there are no people and it gives go practice, also see if you can drive to a vacation spot, it really adds to the hours.

ripplededge
01-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Nigel2:
"(Snickers) for someone who claims to know about disneyland you lack much little one(kidding)"

I never claimed I knew a lot about disneyland. Get your facts straight. Next time address me, don't say someone, that is why I have a handle.

Nigel2
01-12-2002, 10:38 PM
Sorry Rip, that was adressed to squink, from another thread, sorry for the confusion.:D

Ace
01-13-2002, 04:30 PM
yes, he was talking to me. from another thread. I know that a frozen banana costs 250, as does a dole whip. and that's about all one needs, is it not?

jake99
01-13-2002, 04:47 PM
yea i got my licenses about a month ago fist thing i got was AP already been to disneyland 5 times

Flubber
01-13-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
On streets, you have cross traffic, cars turning in front of you, various speeds and signals/stop signs. There is much more activity to pay attention to. I've been involved in 5 accidents in my life (driver 4, passenger 1) none of them my fault and all but one happened on the streets.

Despite none of them being your fault remind me to never get in a car with you.

;) :D

Flub