PDA

View Full Version : Why Do We Visit The Parks As Much As We Do?

Pages : [1] 2

awinner
01-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone...long time no write...been out of the country for the past 3 weeks, but I am ready and rearing to go full force on these boards for 2002.

My question was why do we visit the parks as much as we do. This probably refers mostly to AP holders. I go to the park to get away from the everyday stresses of life...it can be so relaxing just hanging out in the parks all day. I don't need to go on ride everytime I am there. The place makes me feel good all over.

Ghoulish Delight
01-10-2002, 12:29 PM
The place just makes me happy. It's something enjoyable to do instead of seeing a movie or going bowling. It's fun to people watch. It's fun to be on the rides.

Actually, the best reason...because I CAN. I grew up relatively close, so I know I went more often than most people. But it was still 'only' once a year, and it was still at the whim of my parents. I will never forget the first time I went with just me and my sister (who is 4 1/2 years older than me, so got her license first). No parents. The sense of freedom was incredible. Then, the first time I drove myself was even better. It hit me that I could go to Disneyland as often as I'd like! Of course, money was still an issue. So now that I live around the corner, and have the money to do it, how could I say no to going all the time? It's every kid's dream!

zapppop
01-10-2002, 01:32 PM
I have always lived within a 20 mile radius of the park and would visit at least 4 times per year. As I've grown up, I've taken allot of **** from people that I don't deserve and Disneyland is probably the one place I can go to and unwind and forget about the outside world and just please myself for a change. To me, Disneyland is an escape from the problems in my life.

Mad Madam Mim
01-10-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by awinner
I go to the park to get away from the everyday stresses of life...it can be so relaxing just hanging out in the parks all day. I don't need to go on ride everytime I am there. The place makes me feel good all over.

That is my reason right there....

MammaSilva
01-10-2002, 02:57 PM
I have several reasons for going to Disneyland as often as we can... first ...the simple pure joy of the place, yeah there are those darn stroller ramming folks and rude pedestrians without strollers, I never let them ruin my day.....but I think that our main reason for going is that in Disneyland Brandy can be herself and just absorb all the joy of the place and I get to watch that in her face as she zooms around autopia or the excitment EVERY single time she sees Mickey or Goofy....it never gets old, it never looses one speck of the pixie dust that makes the magic for her....there are so many things in this life that won't be "normal" for her, we don't have cars to worry about or college funds or weddings and grandbabies.. but I can take her to her favorite place just as often as I can and make each trip as wonderful as the last one....thanks to the "magic" that just IS at Disneyland....

coronamouseman
01-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Several reasons come to mind:

(1) Nostalgia - many of those APs who have lived a large portion of their lives or grew up in SoCal find that they can relive some of their more pleasant memories of younger years in the park (the reason which many of these same people bemoan the elimination of some of those older, memory-laced attractions)

(2) Separation from reality - ever wonder why Disneyland has that earthern berm around it? Ever note the placques at the entrance tunnels to the park? The whole point was to provide guests with a point of transition between the real world and the "magic" world inside.

(3) Just plain fun - many psychologists have written volumes on the science of how thrill and amusement rides affect the rider - the bottom line is that it is pleasing to whirl around in a teacup, to experience the adrenaline rush of traveling high rates of speed in open vehicles and to experience something moderately frightning in a safe environment.

(4) Everyone can participate - perhaps the number one reason Walt himself gave for building Disneyland: A place where he could bring his grandchildren and enjoy attractions with along with them

Everyone in the USA should be as blessed as SoCal residents to have a park like Disneyland a few minutes drive away, much less Knott's, Universal Hollywood and SFMM (only Orlando comes close or probably exceeds that situation) - so be happy and enjoy your good fortune you SoCal APs!

innerSpaceman
01-10-2002, 03:25 PM
The reason to go so often is that there are so many different reasons. I have been to many, many theme parks and other areas of amusement, and nothing beats Disneyland for the wide variety of experiences that can be had at the Happiest Place on Earth. You can go on tons of rides, or have just as good a time going on no rides at all. The atmosphere is enough to be delighted with, or you can immerse yourself in all sorts of imaginative attractions. People watching is great. There's plenty of entertainment. Play with the characters, play with the CMs, play with other guests. Great with your lover. Great all alone. Great when you're high. Great when you're sober. Good for you when you're bummed. Excellent for you when you're happy.

Actually, after a few decades of heavy attendance, I have cut back to about 4 times a year from an all time high of 85 times a year. But even in those days, I was able to come up with a wide variety of things to do. I would hang out in Coke Corner for hours, where there is (or at least was) a whole sub-society of Disneyland. I would find a seat at the bow of the Mark Twain and cruise around the Rivers of America again and again. Most of all, I would pop into the Park on summer evenings for a bit of the Electrical Parade, a dash of Fantasmic, and some great fireworks. I could never get tired of fireworks. And I'll never get tired of Disneyland.

merlinjones
01-10-2002, 03:34 PM
I suppose I'm a big kid - - obsessive/compulsive, a nostalgic with Peter Pan syndrome and an admirer of the taste and imagination of Walt Disney and his staff of artists (what's left of that era) - - also there are few man-made environments of high aesthetic value in Los Angeles proper (in terms of hanging out for an afternoon). It's not Paris around here...

mad4mky
01-10-2002, 03:35 PM
Uh...because we love it?

No, really. All of the above fits me.

I have always loved the park. I was never a SoCal'er...so that does not fit me.

But, its just pure joy. The outside world is shut out. And I grew up with the "Walt" era on tv. Some of you younger folk don't know what it was like waiting for Walt to come on Sunday nights and show us his shows (ok...I was born AFTER DL opened...but he still was on on Sunday nights!).

He made pure magic. And the park shows that. I don't care how much people talk about all those other "theme" parks...DL, WDW and I can tell when I see DLParis in March...just have that Magic. Sure, the other ones may have faster coasters, some better technology...but they don't have the Magic, and excitement I feel when I walk under that train trestle.

I think its great that you can all describe so eloquently how you feel. Because I just can't find the correct words to express how I feel about Walt and what he created.
Since I was a little girl...I wrote and talked about Walt and Mickey.

And I love sharing this park with my family. My parents took me when I was little a few times, and they had fun..but they just don't "get it". (Muggles)
To me...it IS The Happiest Place on Earth.

**Couse WDW sure comes second...its pretty cool. And if any of you havn't been...go at least once to just totally surround yourself in the Magic. It's really a treat**

cemeinke
01-10-2002, 06:34 PM
I can't seem to stay away from the place. This morning I had a meeting in Santa Ana. It ended early, and I figured I had some time, hopped on the 5 and spent an hour at the park.

It was great, had a Mocha, checked out the post-holiday changes, fed the birds, and then went back to work. I was just happy for the rest of the day.

Lately I just like to watch all the transitions and transformations. I guess living in So Cal, it's the next best thing to having seasons :)

80S ERA
01-11-2002, 07:22 AM
I've spent the best times of my childhood and teenage years there. Disneyland was always my favorite place to go when I was a kid and would go once a year for my birthday. It was the one place I could go where I actually felt like I was in different places of the world -- the ultimate escape. As I got older, it became one of the most romantic.

I always ask myself the same question, "Why all the passion?"

I think -- mainly, it's to remind myself that those happy times actually did happen and it wasn't just a dream. Although today's Disneyland is not impressive compared to past standards, it still resembles its former self just enough to remind me of its glory days.

Ace
01-11-2002, 10:32 PM
because..........reality sucks if you don't get a break. which is exactly what Disneyland is. I wish lived closer, though....

blusilva
01-11-2002, 11:38 PM
I arrived at the park today a little early for my 3:00 meeting at the Hub with my friends, so I sat in Town Square and watched the Disneyland Band play a twenty minute set. The sun was warm, little kids were laughing and dancing, senior citizens were clapping along, and everywhere I looked people were having fun.

How much better does it get than that? Seriously.

THAT'S why I love the place.

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 11:39 PM
Becuase I am close enoguh that I can go between classes and still be back intime.:D

FEJ
01-11-2002, 11:40 PM
All of the above reasons.
It gives me a chance to escape, and people watch.

Morrigoon
01-11-2002, 11:41 PM
LOL, you go to UC Disney or something? ;) (That would be UC Fullerton, for those who are wondering)

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 11:42 PM
Nah, IVC Only like 15 minutes away and trafic is light plus I have a 3 hour break, so...

Gemini Cricket
01-12-2002, 10:13 AM
When I was attending Chapman University, I would always go. I was an APer for the 4 1/2 years I was there. I'd go to do my papers, I'd go with visiting family & friends and I'd go to get away from annoying people who didn't like Disneyland... because this was the one place they'd never be!
:)

socabch
01-12-2002, 09:46 PM
I go for most of reasons everyone has already mentioned. I love to go Tom Sawyer Island and find a quiet spot to relax. I wish I could live there.

9oldmen
01-12-2002, 09:51 PM
Why does an alcoholic keep going to bars? As far as vices go, I'd say ours is pretty harmless. As long as I don't grow donkey ears.

merlinjones
01-12-2002, 09:56 PM
>>As long as I don't grow donkey ears.<<

Stay away from Paradise Pier!

Nigel2
01-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Well since they lack a pool hall and PI stuff, you are safe for now. Plus we don't have salt mines, but La is a jump away from FL, and they have tons of salt there.:D

Jenlan2001
01-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Because of...

The way I feel when I walk in.

I did not grow up in So. Cal. Disneyland trips were far and inbetween when I was young. Until I discovered the park at Christmas when I was going through a very tough time. The first time I went in Dec. was is 2000, when my husband and I were separated - I had just learned that he was seeing someone else. I went with a dear friend and was there over my wedding anniversary. But it was magic - worth more than many visits to the therapist. This year we took my four year old son, and I thank God for Walt Disney. This will now be our annual trip.

I remember Sunday nights growing up. It was Mexican food night, and the only night the T.V. trays were brought out. Oh God, the anticipation of the opening sequence of "Wonderful World of Disney". I think that started it all.

Why do I go?

Magic. Simple. Magic.

Uncle Dick
02-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Because we have no lives. ;)

jslivinski
02-22-2002, 03:15 PM
Because we can.

I miss Disneyland.:crying: :crying: