PDA

View Full Version : DL reinstates handicapped shuttle!

BJW
04-09-2005, 07:34 PM
I learned when I was at the park a few weeks ago that they had reinstated the van shuttle for handicapped guests. Kudos to Matt Ouimet! It looks like they're listening to our comments!

MammaSilva
04-09-2005, 07:41 PM
They offered us the option of the shuttle or the trams every single time we entered the park, never exiting tho....I'm not sure if we could have requested it for the return to the parking structure but since my daughter adores riding the tram it wasn't an issue...but I was glad to see that the option was there.

KarenW2
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Is this a shuttle that goes from the tram stop in DTD to the hotels, to the parking structure, or what? I've definitely missed them having a shuttle to the hotels and thought it was odd that some of the off-site accomodations offer better service in that area than the Disney properties do!

MammaSilva
04-09-2005, 11:41 PM
It's a shuttle from the parking lot tram loading to the DTD tram drop off and return.

BJW
04-10-2005, 12:46 AM
It's a shuttle from the parking lot tram loading to the DTD tram drop off and return.Yes, this is the one I was referring to. Instead of using a loading ramp and riding in the front car of the tram they will take you to the parking structure. I remember this as well as the shuttle from First Aid to the structure or hotels were both stopped about the same time they did away with the SAP. Now I noticed they were doing this again. It's good to see them going the extra mile for the handicapped guests. I was told that the shuttle from first aid was stopped because a guest sued them for a minor accident a van had while transporting a guest. Because the van travels through backstage areas that guests are normally not supposed to be in Disney's insurance would not cover it.

There was a time that they had a separate white van that would come from PPH and DLH to take a disabled guest to one of those two hotels because of the long walk. This was also discontinued but I'm assuming if the one to the parking structure has came back this one may have came back as well. Especially since both of these never have to go backstage and are a separate hotel amenity. Next time I'm at the park I will ask about it.

AVP
04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
The parking structure shuttle has been back for quite a while. A big white passenger shuttle / bus replaced the conversion vans they were using. (Though parking managers still use the small vans for transportation) I absolutely know that the shuttle was there last September, although it may have returned earlier than that.

The CFA and hotel shuttles have not returned, and I have not heard that they ever will.

AVP

jennia
04-10-2005, 03:40 PM
We never noticed that the vans were missing. We liked the conversion vans but they were small and I can see why the switch was made to the current larger vans.

I know that right after the parking change when passholders had to start using the parking structure, the disabled vans to return to the parking structure loaded in the island area where the trams board. You simply went to the regular boarding area and were directed to go to the middle of the street when the van arrived to board the van. In the last few months we noticed that the disabled vans now load on the opposite side of the road from Downtown Disney. You will see signs that direct you to the right as you exit the park if you are looking for them. So as you are exiting the park, if you want to take the disabled van you have go to the RIGHT of the loading area, go on down almost until the path ends and you will see a sign as well as a lock up that they use for the wheelchairs that belong to DLR before they are returned to the rental area. It is a longer walk to the current loading location than the old loading area but the new loading area is probably MUCH safer because the disabled passenger and their party don't have to pass in the path of the tram to get to the disabled van.

The other option is use the tram but instead of loading at the first loading area which is often packed with people who don't want to or cannot fold strollers, you go to the ramp at the second loading area (at either DLR or at the parking structure both) behind whatever tram is currently loading.

Disneyfun
05-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Okay trams, At DL I did not know they had stopped. I do know they were broken down for a bit.
The trams are inconsisent. We go a least twice a month and my mom uses a wheel chair. Some times they drop us off on the side closes to the park furthest from Down Town Disney. other times they drop us out in the middle.

I will take the tram if it is sitting there when I get there other wise I find it easier and quicker to just use the tram. For leaving the park I have given up on getting the tram to take us back to the car. We once waited out in the middle of the "street" waiting for the tram for close to an hour.

Not sure if this info helps.

KarenW2
05-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Even before my accident and acquiring the wheelchair for the other day, my hubby would drop me at the GCH, park in the parking structure, "shuttle in", and meet me in the lobby, before we'd start off, for DCA or DL. When we're done, I wait for him in the lobby, while he "shuttles back", gets the car, then picks me up! It's a lot less walking for me to do, especially when they make him park way out in the "boonies" and for you, it would probably be easier, in terms of manuevering the chair for your mom.

Just tell the CM at the GCH gate that you're dropping someone off & it's no problem! Sometimes, they give you a piece of paper, with "Drop Off" on one side & "Pick-Up" on the other, other times, they don't even bother with the paper, they just tell you to pull up to where the CMs direct you!