PDA

View Full Version : Various character meals

db's
04-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I am planning my first trip to Disneyland in June and having a hard time deciding on what character meals to attend. I am interested in: Goofy's Kitchen, Lilo and Stitch, Ariels Grotto. Any suggestions? Also want to eat at Blue Bayou, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Dream Again
04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
I've only been to Goofy's and Ariel's. I like Ariel's better myself, but maybe I just came on a good day, because I've seen a lot of bad reviews for it. I didn't really like the food at Goofy's, but who really comes to those things for the food? lol.

04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
I didn't really like the food at Goofy's, but who really comes to those things for the food? lol.

I'd agree with that.

As for the Blue Bayou, it's also not about the food. The atmosphere is A++ unforgettable. The food, not so much.

smjoseph
04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I think that those character meals must be pretty much hit and miss. I ate at Ariels (now renamed) and loved the interaction with my son. :D Then had a Goofy's Kitchen breakfast on another trip and felt like we got the royal shaft! :( (I, however, really enjoyed the breakfast) As for the Blue Bayou...I've never been dis-satisfied. Did you say they served Food there? ;) I didn't notice because the ambiance was so great! :D

Sislers
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I've eaten at Blue Bayou, and absolutely loved it. We do lunch so we can get the Monte Cristo sandwich...my husband really goes for the atmosphere as well.

I ate at Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast and had an awesome time. We took most of the time from the characters, and we're all adults, except for an 17 and 19 year old. We had so much fun, and the food was great!!
Has anyone been there for dinner? Do they serve dinner-type food or is it breakfast foods?

stitchlvr
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
I was there for dinner probably about six years ago. They had dinnertime foods, but it was a lot more expensive. The quality of food was not great either. Didn't feel as good of a deal as the breakfast, so we've only done breakfast there since then.

CoasterChickie
04-11-2005, 01:30 PM
My sister and her family ate at Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. She said they had really good prime rib. And they loved the character interaction. My niece fell in love with Aladdin.

I've been to Ariel's Grotto twice now for dinner and really enjoyed both visits.

pisces
04-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Do Goofys for dinner, but try to be the first seating at 5:00 pm, which is better, I think. Try not to eat all day---if that's possible, or at least only fruit and snacks.

I wasn't wild about Blue Bayou, but the ambience and decor is addicting. Actually, the only foods I loved at Blue Bayou were the pasta salad, the clam chowder, and the sourdough bread. I wonder if you can go there and just have soup and salad?

stitchlvr
04-11-2005, 01:36 PM
My sister and her family ate at Goofy's Kitchen for dinner. She said they had really good prime rib. And they loved the character interaction. My niece fell in love with Aladdin.

I've been to Ariel's Grotto twice now for dinner and really enjoyed both visits.

I must agree about Ariel's. I've been there for dinner a couple of times. The food was great. The interaction was great and the price seemed reasonable. This was before the change to Mickey however.

Maybe Goofy's Kitchen has gotten better for dinner over the years. Or i could have been there on an off night. The character interaction was still good at dinner though.

Sislers
04-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Has anyone been the Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn? Is it better than when it was with Winnie the Pooh? Which is better...Goofy's Kitchen or the Plaza Inn?

hlbtimes2
04-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Has anyone been the Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn? Is it better than when it was with Winnie the Pooh? Which is better...Goofy's Kitchen or the Plaza Inn?

All the reviews show its WAY WORSE now, then it was when it was with Pooh. Long lines, very crowded and very little character interaction. There have been a lot of posts/ threads regarding the Princess breakfast. Goofy's usually gets a decent review.

bradk
04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
re: the princess (and no, i've never been). it's bad because they overbook and it snowballs into greater 'tragedies.' reportedly, if you do it first thing, when there's likely not to be so many people, it's a much better experience.

Wendi
04-11-2005, 05:45 PM
I am planning my first trip to Disneyland in June and having a hard time deciding on what character meals to attend. I am interested in: Goofy's Kitchen, Lilo and Stitch, Ariels Grotto. Any suggestions? Also want to eat at Blue Bayou, I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Which characters are you most interested in seeing? Maybe you can choose based on your character preference. Ariel's Grotto will be a little cheaper than the others, and it's good - I've done lunch there, character interaction was great and so was the food.

Definitely have lunch at the Blue Bayou!!! It's a must.

melmel
04-11-2005, 05:58 PM
If you plan on going with children, please make sure you know your kids enough, because as much as we thought my three year old sister could handle Ariel's Grotto, she spent the whole meal screaming and crying, even asking the princesses to get away from her, and they're not in huge eight-foot suits like the characters.

MsYumiBr
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
My family never liked the Plaza Inn in the first place, let alone filled with princesses donning hoop skirts. So I'd opt out of that one. On the other hand, if your looking for good food, Storytellers with Chip and Dale is supposed to be the best although I've never eaten there but plan to our next trip. Goofy's Kitchen is a must do if you've never done it before. Get the earliest reservations you can for whatever meal you choose just so you get enough character interaction. They had us in the party section and we would have only seen 4 characters if my husband didn't complain. It was cool to have Alice and our waitress Alice sing happy birthday to me. The brunch was great in my opinion. We were so stuffed we didn't eat until late in the day. We also ate at Ariel's Grotto for lunch during the 4 days we were there. That was definitely less chaos and much more light hearted and partially outside in the sunlight so I thought it was better. Same group activity sort of thing but much better controlled. Goofy's was too challenging to try and get photos and too dark. I thought we would try Lilo & Stitch breakfast this time mostly because I love the Hawaiian theme and it'll be a nice retreat from the chaos of DL in July the weekend after the 50th event. Did I forget any, or does that cover it?

mickeynminnie
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
I was wondering if the reason the princesses don't get around to as many tables as Pooh and the gang is because they're allowed to talk. Since Pooh and the others can't talk, maybe they were better able to circulate because they didn't have to answer a million questions and talk to each little one they meet. I think logistically, based on the size of the restaurant it's impossible to have them circulate and talk with every family that comes in, unless they were willing to put more characters at the meal (like one of every princess plus fairy godmother etc., etc.,)...I mean what a nightmare for both the families that have to sit there for hours to talk to a princess and the princesses who must feel like they've been beaten after a shift... On the topic at hand, we always enjoy Goofy's. We always get PS right at 7am so we can be one of the first families to eat and mingle with Goofy and friends.

04-12-2005, 05:16 AM
if your looking for good food, Storytellers with Chip and Dale is supposed to be the best although I've never eaten there but plan to our next trip.

I'd agree with that. Storytellers food is really good.

hlbtimes2
04-12-2005, 05:29 AM
I was wondering if the reason the princesses don't get around to as many tables as Pooh and the gang is because they're allowed to talk. Since Pooh and the others can't talk, maybe they were better able to circulate because they didn't have to answer a million questions and talk to each little one they meet. I think logistically, based on the size of the restaurant it's impossible to have them circulate and talk with every family that comes in, unless they were willing to put more characters at the meal (like one of every princess plus fairy godmother etc., etc.,)...I mean what a nightmare for both the families that have to sit there for hours to talk to a princess and the princesses who must feel like they've been beaten after a shift... On the topic at hand, we always enjoy Goofy's. We always get PS right at 7am so we can be one of the first families to eat and mingle with Goofy and friends.

I think, from whats been posted here, that they are seeing larger crowds with the pricesses then they did with Pooh. I dont think the ability to talk has much to do with it. We had very good interaction with everyone from the Pooh gang while we were there. We played peekaboo, rolled on the floor with Tigger, hugged sad old Eeyore, etc. Plenty of interaction despite not being able to be vocal.