PDA

View Full Version : Any Chance DL will reinstate Gay Night?

Pages : [1] 2

Davideo
01-10-2002, 08:19 AM
Hey there everyone!

I've been reading this board for awhile, but this is my first post.

Now that DL is cutting hours, and they might have more time to host evening events, do you think there's any chance they'll reinstate the official Gay Night at Disneyland? (I know they didn't call it Gay Night...it was a special event hosted through a company that catered to the gay community). I know there's an unofficial gay day at DL (I happened to be there that day without knowing it until I noticed all the cute guys ALL wearing red shirts). The OFFICIAL reason that DL cut out the gay night was that their event calender was too crowded and a few events had to give.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dvaid

Upanova
01-10-2002, 11:23 AM
I know there is a Gay Day (well, sort of unofficial) at WDW, but haven't been to Disneyland during a Gay Day here. Don't they all wear red shirts or something like that to identify them?

I suppose that it's happened before, but a lot of companies rent out the park during the off season.

Upanova

:)

Davideo
01-10-2002, 12:21 PM
There used to be an "official" gay night, but then Disney put a halt to it. The rumor in the community was that the religious right lobbed enough complaints to put an end to it. Now there is an unofficial one (last one was in Sep) where it just gets emailed around town and all gay folk wear red t-shirts. The one I caught accidently was really impressive, in terms of numbers.

Do any castmembers remember working the offical 'gay night' at DL? Was it fun or was it problematic for you?

donkthemagicllama
01-10-2002, 06:34 PM
I seem to remember reading (I believe in the book "Mouse Tales", which was from the library, so I can't check) that the reason the event doesn't happen anymore is that the company that hosted the event booked the park for a private function, then violated the terms and conditions of the agreement by reselling admission to the general public.

donkthemagicllama
01-10-2002, 06:37 PM
I remember reading (same source, which I believe was "Mouse Tales") that, as is usually the case with events of this nature, that there was nothing wrong with the event in general, but a small minority of those present were acting inappropriately (Not that the same thing doesn't happen on Grad Nite, I'm sure). I don't believe this had anything to do with the reason the event doesn't happen anymore.

FriendOfDaisy
01-10-2002, 10:57 PM
I went on "Gay Day" this year (it was the first weekend of October). I was fairly underwhelmed by the event; it wasn't particularly well-publicized (I only found out week-of, and if I hadn't been an AP, I probably wouldn't have gone), so it wasn't particularly well-attended. I think I was most disappointed because I was expecting some sort of extra sense of camaraderie or friendliness among all the red-shirters, but other than chatting briefly with a pair of very nice lesbian mommies in line for Storybookland, the day didn't feel much different from any other day at Disneyland (like that's so terrible!).

Infor is at http://www.gayday2.com. They're planning to repeat October 4-6, 2002.

David

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
01-10-2002, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't mind a monthly gay night at DCA - What if the first Thursday of every month was boys night at DCA complete with drink specials at the wine bar and Avalon cove, 1/2 price Rita's Margaritas, and $2 drafts at the beer wagon (of course we would move this in front of the sun court).

The Hollywood area could turn into a circuit party ... All the cast members get in free (yeahhhh!) and they could run a wet underwear contest in the bugs life theater (just turn on the water effect)

I bet u would get the OC and LA crowd - and good number of San Diegians - esp if it was 18 and up

:-)

Cover for APs - 5 bucks - everyone else - 10

Gemini Cricket
01-11-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Davideo
do you think there's any chance they'll reinstate the official Gay Night at Disneyland?

We deserve at least a week... :D :cool:

EandCDad
01-11-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

We deserve at least a week... :D :cool:

My understanding is you get the full year, just like everyone else.;)

Davideo
01-11-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad

My understanding is you get the full year, just like everyone else.;)

Really? A full year for us to walk through the park, holding hands, kissing and being ourselves without getting dirty looks from other guests? No, straight people have the park for 365 days a year with all of these rights. Gays and lesbians USED to have the park one night out of the year. Now we don't even have that.:crying:

EmmaPeel007
01-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Really? A full year for us to walk through the park, holding hands, kissing and being ourselves without getting dirty looks from other guests? No, straight people have the park for 365 days a year with all of these rights. Gays and lesbians USED to have the park one night out of the year. Now we don't even have that.:crying:

Uh, Davideo, it was a joke...

EandCDad
01-11-2002, 11:08 AM

I knew it was going to be a mistake posting to this thread. I will clarify my comments.

In the two or three other extremely lengthy threads (well at least one was lengthy) on this board that have covered this issue, one thing that our Gay compadres (like Disneylad) have said repeatedly was that basically it was dumb to be "against" Gay Day because every day there are gay people in the park. That simply not going to DL on the designated "Gay Day" would not mean that you wouldn't come into contact with a gay person at DL, because they are there every day, like today.

The point of my post was to remind Disneylad of that position, which I think he stated in the other thread and which I happen to agree with. It was said slightly in jest (hence the winking eye) because I "know" Disneylad (in some sense). If it bugged him, hopefully he will let me know.

As for the comments about what "rights" gay vs. straight people have at DL, I disagree with what you say but like I said, this has been covered extensively and I'm not going to be able to add anything new to the mix.

wonderful
01-11-2002, 12:28 PM
I'm gay, I'm a CM, and I like the "idea" of gay day, but I'm not in any hurry for Disney to bring it back. Here's my reasons;
1. The controversy is something Disney does not need, or deserve. Disney is a business, not a political wing or party... when the rest of the world is more accepting, I will expect Disneyland to be so... until then, Disneyland takes its lead from the American public.
2. "Gay Day" as hosted by Odyssey was nothing more than one more over-priced event targeted toward a community that is constantly looking for an outlet... plain and simple, it made money for Odyssey, gave headaches to Disney and really WAS NOT the kind of event that you would expect.
3. That "minority" mentioned earlier is what really screwed up the event... shameless harassment of CMs (some of which were straight and rightfuly offended... heck even the gay CMs were offended), overly sexual messages in everything from promotional fliers to "give aways"... with no real regard to the disney name, and a sort of aloofness to all not in the "know" at the event (ie. any straight folk that might have wondered in).
I think it was put best earlier that we have a "gay day" everyday... at this point in our history, your own comfort level dictates what you can and cannot do in the parks, the park can't kick a guy out for kissing a guy... if other guests make you feel uncomfortable because of their remarks, there's nothing Disney can do, but you COULD simply (and I know it's not that simple, but you could) IGNORE THEM.
As a final note, anyone wanting to discuss the right and wrong of the homosexual lifestyle can find old threads EXHAUSTINGLY long on the subject here on Mouseplanet, but I URGE and PLEAD that you do not reignite the discussion on this thread. Thanks.

Iceman
01-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Thank you, Wonderful, for a very intelligent and well-written post on the subject.

innerSpaceman
01-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I don't really feel like getting into the whole gays-at-Disneyland thing again (and wonderful did sum it up nicely and eloquently), but on the other hand some matters will have to be the subject of threads more than once (or more than umpteen times) if these boards are to continue for years and years. Okay, the last such discussion took place only a few weeks ago, but I'm gonna say one more thing about it.

I don't see too many straight couples acting overtly sexual at the Park. It's a very family (i.e., kids-are-present) environment, and most people respect that and act accordingly. Sure, I see plenty of straight couples holding hands and such, and you know what? -there'd be nothing wrong with gay couples doing the same. I think about the only place I've ever seen straight couples making out is on Big Thunder Trail at night. If gay couples want to do the same in the relative privacy of this location, I don't see a problem. Straight couples steal a kiss every once in a while throughout the Park, and gay folks can just do the same. It's the 21st Century, it's Southern California, and as long as things don't get carried away by either gays or straights, then everyone is free to be themselves at Disneyland. If gays are self-conscious about displays of affection in public unless everyone around them is also gay, then that is a problem that has nothing to do with either Disneyland or its guests.

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Since there were parties at one point, were there ever nutcase protestors outside?

Morrigoon
01-11-2002, 10:30 PM
innerspaceman:
I, unfortunately, have seen MANY examples of shameless PDAs by straight couples in the park, mostly teens. I have no objection if they try to find a nice quiet corner (guilty of that myself), but I have witnessed it in such unavoidably public areas as queues and trams. One particular tram incident springs to mind where the couple in question was being, to put it bluntly, DISGUSTING, and it was in full view of a young girl in the rear-facing seat. There were two other children on the tram as well, but this one poor girl was actually facing them, and therefore could hardly have missed it.

I applaud the gay community that they are a little more careful with their displays of affection.

I have no problem with couples of any orientation as long as they limit their public displays to holding hands, hugging, and the occasional quick kiss. Anything more, and they should either a)find a private corner where few people will pass them (try Fowler's Harbor ;)) or b)get a room.

Oh man, have I dragged myself into this discussion again? I'd better stop.

Gemini Cricket
01-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
The point of my post was to remind Disneylad of that position, which I think he stated in the other thread and which I happen to agree with. It was said slightly in jest (hence the winking eye) because I "know" Disneylad (in some sense). If it bugged him, hopefully he will let me know.

Humor is what makes this site fun! It was merely a jest answered with another jest. No harm done. Besides, I've got rhinoceros skin.
:D

Uncle Dick
02-03-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Since there were parties at one point, were there ever nutcase protestors outside?

Doubtful. First of all, Disney wouldn't let em on property, so they'd be stuck on Harbor Blvd. and since 98% of the public doesn't know (or care) when "Gay Day" is, the "protest" would be relatively pointless.

Oh, and I don't think any "group" should get their own private "day" at Disneyland, be it homosexuals, Christians, latinos, or drunken high schoolers. ;)

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
02-03-2002, 11:56 AM
I get my own day!!! When I go it's MY park :-)

In response to the post that made reference to no one should get their own day…

In order for a group to 'get' a day.... someone or some entity has to 'give' it to them (as opposed to 'taking' or 'claiming').

In the case of 'gay day', a bunch of people decided they wanted to go on a certain day. Disney did not plan it - nor should they do anything about it. It just is. People with something in common make an individual decision to go collectively. It happens every day and on ‘gay day’.

end of story

end of thread (hopefully....)

02-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DisneyLad

Besides, I've got rhinoceros skin.
:D

And asbestos briefies!

This straight, married woman with kids says everyday should be humanity day in the parks, with all the varieties of good behavior that implies.

Gemini Cricket
02-03-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 3894
And asbestos briefies!

This straight, married woman with kids says everyday should be humanity day in the parks, with all the varieties of good behavior that implies.

Ahem! That's asbestos Calvin Klein briefies, thank you.:D

Everyone should be as brilliantly humane as you Ms. 3894. :)

MouseWife
02-03-2002, 08:05 PM
My only comment~really~ is that I do not appreciate public displays of affection that go beyond hand holding or a light kiss.

Seriously, get a room.

I, as a mom, think of how it affects the kids. Either when they are very young, it can be confusing.
Or, when they are older, they might:
a] feel sad they aren't doing it even though it is okay not to
b]feel that it is alright and not something special to be done with someone you really care for which is what mommies all want their kids to think.

At least this mom does. :)

mousey_girl
02-03-2002, 08:30 PM
As a mom, I obect to extreme public displays, no matter who the couple is. As a mom it does not bother me what the gender of the couple is. The Boy will grow up, as I did, knowing that, to quote my mother, "to each their own." She also taught us that people have the right to be who they are. I don't like to see any couple making out, that is when I say get a room. But if it is a couple holding hands, hugging or a simple kiss, no matter who the couple is, I feel they have a right to do so without having to worry about judgements. If I had a trip to DLR planned and found out that it was an informal "Gay Day" I would not change my plans.

MammaSilva
02-03-2002, 08:37 PM
personally .. coming from an old married lady with kids that lives in the bay area....I think that good taste is not exclusive to sexual orientation.....two of my very best buddies are gay, we socialize in public all the time, never any "hot and heavy" PDA's gong from any of the couples involved regardles of orientation.. I say that Disneyland is for everyone, use good taste/judgement and have a blast! I agree that I don't want Brandy seeing an R rated encounter at the park and I don't care who the participants are, affection is such a part of our lives that holding hands. a hug or short Hi there kind of kiss is totally so 'normal' that none of my bunch would actually "notice" I don't think....but for anything more....take it to a more appropriate location.