PDA

View Full Version : Unused space in the park

Disneynerd
04-08-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time) as to what rides have come and gone in the park.

Are we waiting for new attractions? Where? What will the attraction replace?

:geek:

Elways way
04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm confused (wouldn't be the first time) as to what rides have come and gone in the park.

Are we waiting for new attractions? Where? What will the attraction replace?

:geek:

I think the consensus is that there will be a PIxar invasion over the next couple of years. The first will be MOnsters Inc in the old Superstar Limo building, followed by a Finding Nemo spin on the old sub ride, and two more undefined "attractions" (Toy Story themed) that will be over in the Big Thunder Mountain Ranch area.

They are still looking for something to go in the old motor cruise area. Rumor has it that it was initially planned as a "children's play area". It appears that idea has been scrapped for awhile in hopes of finding a bigger, more suitable attraction.

Two areas I have not heard much about lately are the Millionaire Soundstage and the Timon and Pumba parking lot. That seems like the most reasonable expansion points for DCA. Maybe then they will open all those restaraunts that have been shut down from day one.

Disneynerd
04-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Thank you Elways Way!

Where is the old Motor Boat area? I thought Pixar and Disney broke up?

Elways way
04-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I thought they "broke up" too! Maybe they're just trying to get as much in as possible before the split is official. I would assume they own all the licensing on the past stuff anyway.

As far as the motorboat area....it is basically between the Matterhorn and Its' a Small World. If you are standing w/ your back to the loading area of the Matterhorn (looking towards Toontown).....its ahead and to your right. They do their best to deflect attention from the unused area by setting up all sorts of vendors carts in front of it (or so it seems).

Disney Vault
04-08-2005, 05:10 PM
You forgot about a possible Cars overlay for autopia and an incredibles rollercoaster arm thing that I still don't under stand how it would work. They really need to get away from only using pixar movies to make rides. How about some original ideas or even getting ideas based off of disney classics (aladdin, beauty and the beast, little mermaid)

Elways way
04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Agreed! They couldn't come up with a Little Mermaid theme for the old sub ride?

As for the Cars deal at Autopia, I would assume it will only involve a change in the siign and a new marketing approach. I don't think we will see any changes to the track itself.

What's the deal with this roller coaster arm thing?

Disney Vault
04-08-2005, 05:38 PM
I would actually like the cars idea because it would add more to a ride that I think needs an update anyway. They actually want to make it more interactive and I believe have the cars talking and making comments as you drive along through updates areas.

And the Incredibles ride would use this.
http://archiv.kuka-roboter.de/robocoaster/english/index2.html
It could either be placed in front of a screen or attached to a track.

Disney Vault
04-08-2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1143

I found the jim hill article about the cars update. It was originally suppose to go into Hong Kong Disneyland first but plans have changed.

mkcbunny
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM
I thought they "broke up" too! Maybe they're just trying to get as much in as possible before the split is official. I would assume they own all the licensing on the past stuff anyway.

As far as the motorboat area....it is basically between the Matterhorn and Its' a Small World. If you are standing w/ your back to the loading area of the Matterhorn (looking towards Toontown).....its ahead and to your right. They do their best to deflect attention from the unused area by setting up all sorts of vendors carts in front of it (or so it seems).

Disney does own the rights to all the existing flicks, plus if I am not mistaken, they own the sequel rights, as well. So, for example, they can make "Finding Nemo Again" is they w ant to, even if they no longer parent Pixar.

So, has the wall-erecting around the lagoon and motorboats displaced the turkey-leg cart?!?!?! Please say it's not so!!!!

SarahJanet
04-08-2005, 08:06 PM
That's not entirely correct - Disney has to offer the job to Pixar first if they're making a sequel to a Pixar film. However, what they did with Toy Story III was to offer it to Pixar when they knew Pixar was in the middle of making other movies, and thus would be unable to do Toy Story III. Which was kind of stupid of them if you ask me, but I love Pixar even more than I love Disney, so maybe I'm biased.

bradk
04-08-2005, 08:12 PM
from what i can gather, the deal with sequels to pixar movies that disney already owns is that if pixar agrees to make a sequel, they have to foot 50% of the bill and they reap only 35% of the profits, which essentially makes it the same relationship they had that caused them to leave in the first place (50% - 15% distribution fees).

mkcbunny
04-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the clarification. In any event, Disney can make rides and merchandise based on past flicks, even if the relationship ends.

But what about the turkey-leg cart?! :)

SoCalDisneyLover
04-09-2005, 10:37 AM
As a longtime stockholder of Pixar, I can honestly say that the big D, and mr. eisner, royally Screwed Pixar over for many years.

SCUBAbe
04-09-2005, 10:44 AM
As a longtime stockholder of Pixar, I can honestly say that the big D, and mr. eisner, royally Screwed Pixar over for many years.

along with everyone else...welcome to corporate america...

notlemc
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
I heard that concerning Pixar and Disney's relationship that once Eisner officially is taken out of office and Igner becomes the CEO that one of the first immediate tasks Igner will do is to restore Disney's relationship with Pixar. However, this is a rumor, and could be completely false. But if this were the case, I hope Igner is able to heal the relationship. I enjoy Pixar/Disney movies, however, Pixar themed rides? I can with a limit on those. I agree, make rides based on original or only Disney made movies, not Pixar movies.

Elways way
04-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Wasn't there just a post about Disney looking to buy the animation division of Dreamworks? It would seem like a steep task....but if the bridge has been burned with Pixar then one would think they would have to pay through the nose to get the Dreamworks deal done!

bradk
04-09-2005, 12:20 PM
i wouldn't necessarily hold my breath on that, unless Iger decides to do a 180. Iger has said that when the relationship started, it was more or less symbiotic. Both companies needed eachother. But as Pixar grew, so did its expectations. Jobs is trying to champion the company, but bullying Disney into giving into Pixar's demands is hardly the way to go about it. If every movie Pixar produced was a Finding Nemo, then perhaps they'd have a leg or two to stand on, but as it is, Disney has done more for Pixar than any other company would have dared done and Pixar is showing its gratitude by showboating and threatening to go somewhere else unless Disney fully concedes to it. A threat they're still relying on to bring Disney to its proverbial needs.

which brings me back to Iger, who's said that he believes the relationship has grown and matured and now believe it's time for both to go their separate ways.

I believe Pixar is a loss, but I don't believe bending over backwards to keep them is the solution either. It wasn't Eisner that caused Pixar to leave. It was Eisner that caused Pixar to become who they are. It was Jobs who decided to leave.

let's not forget that pixar and disney have a long history, from the CAPS system to the fact that John Lassiter was once a Disney animator himself. if anything, pixar's decision to leave could be viewed as a personal vendetta gone awry.

ironically, what disney needs more than anything right now is a new Eisner. albeit a more grounded one.

I doubt Dreamworks SKG is handing anything off to Disney either. Katzenberg was arguably very responsible for the rennaisance period of Disney animation between The Little Mermaid and the Lion King and Geffen was behind Katzenberg every step of the way.

splashmtngurl
04-09-2005, 02:28 PM
i heard rumor that they were planning to put a rockin rollar coaster in the old millionaire building and that they would have to expand the building a little bit. wouldnt that mean they would extend it into the old timon and pumba parking lot?

Elways way
04-09-2005, 02:44 PM
i heard rumor that they were planning to put a rockin rollar coaster in the old millionaire building and that they would have to expand the building a little bit. wouldnt that mean they would extend it into the old timon and pumba parking lot?

I dont think it is feasible to expand that building now. Where could it go? As I recall, it is bordered by the Muppets, the new Monsters, Inc ride, and the boundaries of the park (it backs up to the area between DL and DCA). It may have been a possibility before they greenlighted Monsters......but I think they are trapped now. There is no where to go!

Am I wrong about the layout here?