PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gallery 50th event info is posted!

Pages : [1] 2

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Just posted:

http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/disneygallery/event_disneyland4353.html

AVP
04-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Wow.

$495 for the "cheap" package, which does not include hotel.

So this will probably be the 2nd merchandise event in a row I pass on.

AVP

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah im not too happy about the price either. If that were to include something like early entry on the 17th, it might be worth it. Hopefully I win the lottery within the next 2 weeks. It does include 4 meals and admission though... :rolleyes:

AVP
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
So I'm trying to break down this event, to see exactly what is happening each day. Here's what I have so far:

Black = all packages
Red = Lillian package or higher
Blue = Walt package only

Friday, July 15th
· “Illusions, Illustrations & Inspirations” seminars/workshops
· Event Lunch
· Artist, Author & Special Appearance Signing experience
· Taste of the Disneyland® Resort
· Live Auction

Saturday, July 16th
· Continental Breakfast
· “Illusions, Illustrations & Inspirations” seminars/workshops
· Artist, Author & Special Appearance Signing experience
· Event Lunch
· 2005 Disney Legend Induction
· “My Favorite Magical Memories” Panel Discussion
· Themed Dining Experience in the Park

Sunday, July 17th
· Disneyland® at Dawn Breakfast on Mark Twain
· Disneyland® at Dawn Breakfast in the French Market

In addition to the events as listed above, here are the perks with each package:

Imagineer: ($495 per person)
· One-day admission ticket for 7/16
· One-day admission ticket for 7/17
· Commemorative Photo
· One Commemorative Keepsake

Lillian: ($750 per person)
Same as above

Roy: ($1750 per person)
Everything above, PLUS:
· Two Nights Accommodation at the Disneyland® Hotel (nights of 7/15 and 7/16/05 only)*
· Guaranteed Entry into at least ONE “Illusions, Illustrations & Inspirations” seminars/workshops, per day
· Reserved Seating at the Live Auction
· Reserved Seating at the Panel Discussion
· Reserved Seating at the Themed Dining Experience in the Park · A second Commemorative Keepsake

Walt: ($1955 per person)
Everything above, PLUS
· Upgrade to the Grand Californian Hotel
· A third Commemorative Keepsake

There are 990 total packages available. Even at these prices, they'll sell out.

AVP

bradk
04-07-2005, 08:41 PM
i do so cherish the idea that i can spend $2000 for the privilege of spending more money on merchandising

Germboy
04-07-2005, 09:59 PM
Outrageous

KarenW2
04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Under each ticket description, is the heading for Theme Park Admission. It says if you're a PAP, you get to deduct an approx. whopping $106 off each ticket price!! So that means a new price of approx.:

Walt's - $1,849
Roy's - $1,644
Lillian's - $644
Imagineer's - $389

Now, doesn't that make you feel a whole lot better??

Maleficent's goon
04-07-2005, 11:47 PM
You're missing the best part--under Walt's Plan no less...
Your event credential alone will not guarantee you entry to the park.

Granted they're going to be keeping you pretty busy but if I were going to plop down $2000....

KarenW2
04-08-2005, 12:44 AM
If Disneyland would've debuted 100 years ago, instead of only 50, would the event price for Walt's package be only $1,905??

Since you'd be in the park on 7-17 for the "Disneyland at Dawn Breakfast", what time do you think they would let you in? Depending on how long it takes to eat breakfast, do you think they'd kick you out and make you enter all over again, at whatever time they open the gates?? I sure hope not!!

I would think if you got to stay, your breakfast would guarantee your entry into the park that day!! How long would you want to stay after the screaming, running hordes enter?? I shudder to think about it!

Darkbeer
04-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Last Month, Knott's had its annual Winter Coaster Solace...

The main day costs $25 per person ($45 if you didn't have an AP from any Cedar Fair park).

You got 3 hours of exclusive park time prior to opening, and 2 hours after the park closed, plus a T-Shirt and an all you can eat buffet lunch, plus other goodies.

The premium package was an extra $199 per couple... you got 2 nights at their hotel, a special Friday night event, including more private time in the park, dinner and a special speaker and other special guests during the event. Also received a breakfast on Sunday, plus a special gift when you checked in.

Amazing to see the difference in policy.. one park is looking to keep it hard core fans happy, and basically trying to just cover its cost... while another is trying to get every last penny out of their wallets...

TOTFan
04-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Well I wish it was like a Mr. Toad, TOT, Haunted Mansion Holiday Event. I guess with it falling on a weekend it don't matter. I really hope they do a Space Mountain after park event. This one just doesn't do anything for me. Nothing exciting. I mean really the panel discussion, come on, it's as if you are paying to give market research to Disney executives. Pass, Pass, Pass

stan4d_steph
04-08-2005, 06:40 AM
No 50 hour party? LAME!

AVP
04-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Lillian's - $644

Now, doesn't that make you feel a whole lot better??You know, I actually missed this in the fine print, and it does make me feel at least a little better about it. I always hate that they double-dip on admission to these things, especially since WDW usually has a cast member / annual passholder "no admission" option for their events.

$650 is a lot closer to what a 3-day event with 4 meals would cost. Figure the recent "meal" events have been $200, and that's about right.

Now I want to know what the seminars and such are, especially since some have an additional materials fee.

AVP

spectromen
04-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Here's the main detail I'm sketchy about:

"First Opportunity to Pre-Purchase Open Edition & Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Event Merchandise"

It says FIRST. Does that mean that the merch is not exclusive to the event and will be available to the general public starting on the 17th? Or is this genuine event-only stuff we're talking about? If it's the former, what's the point?

As a side note, I saw all the new Indy merchandise in Disneyana. Is that leftover from the Indy event? If so, it kind-of loses the exclusivity of the whole reason that one attends a merchandise event, doesn't it?

stan4d_steph
04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
As a side note, I saw all the new Indy merchandise in Disneyana. Is that leftover from the Indy event? If so, it kind-of loses the exclusivity of the whole reason that one attends a merchandise event, doesn't it?True, but what are they supposed to do, throw all the unsold stuff away?

olegc
04-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Here's the main detail I'm sketchy about:

"First Opportunity to Pre-Purchase Open Edition & Limited Edition 50th Anniversary Event Merchandise"

It says FIRST. Does that mean that the merch is not exclusive to the event and will be available to the general public starting on the 17th? Or is this genuine event-only stuff we're talking about? If it's the former, what's the point?

As a side note, I saw all the new Indy merchandise in Disneyana. Is that leftover from the Indy event? If so, it kind-of loses the exclusivity of the whole reason that one attends a merchandise event, doesn't it?

I think this is how the Merch event staff are now protecting themselves from complaints. They have been pushing much of the event merch out to disneyana since the second HMH event - although much of the Pirate Movie event merchandise never made it (even though there was plenty left). As far as Indy goes, it's a crap shoot for most. The watch/compass set was sold out at the event so if you thought you could wait until after the event to catch extras you'd lose out. Then again, if you were not that interested unless something was available then I guess you're good to go.

As far as dates - I would not be surprised if ANY (save maybe one or two) pieces from the 50th event have any exact dates on it. This started with the third HMH event and continued through Indy. THe only things that had dates at Indy were two pins. Even your commmemorative photo and event t-shirt did not have dates. This tells you that a) too many events have been held and b) Merchandising would rather cater to the masses and just get your $$ up front if you REALLY want to spend it.

This is the second event I will pass on (I passed on Chip n Dale - but did enjoy indy). I'd kind of rather see what's down the road - and in fact the merchandise that came out for the 50th available online or in catalog may be more desireable than anything else...

MsYumiBr
04-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Well this sort of explains why I couldn't get reservations at the DLH (concierge) all 4 days during that event. They had 3 of the 4 days, but not the 16th so I chose the next weekend, and I made the reservations on March 5th!

SCUBAbe
04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Amazing to see the difference in policy.. one park is looking to keep it hard core fans happy, and basically trying to just cover its cost... while another is trying to get every last penny out of their wallets...

or maybe the other is trying to get a higher class of people at thier special events...

olegc
04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
or maybe the other is trying to get a higher class of people at thier special events...

this is my guess for the increases in prices. When the 3rd HMH event was announced - the lowest package price was so accessible that it sold out first and that made it VERY crowded. IMHO they were not prepared for such a crowd that wanted a lot of stuff for a little money. So for the 4th event they raised prices and entry times were staggered even more - and they had somewhat more control for those who paid more.

Seems like they really want to focus on people who WILL buy extra stuff - so if you're willing to pay, say, $150.00 just to get into an auction, you more than likely are a buyer and not a looky-loo.

KarenW2
04-08-2005, 09:40 AM
is that they don't give a 2 night-stay credit for couples signing up for the same ticket! Especially with this event, when they give you the 2 days BEFORE the event, instead of the 2 days AFTER the event! My hubby will be taking time off work as it is, for the Thursday & Friday, if we decided to do this. We would be more inclined to purchase one of the bigger ticket packages, if they gave us a credit for the 2 night's stay not used. That way, they could rent those rooms to others, who aren't on the package & might make more money!!

We found that it was a better deal to get the next package down and then add our room ala carte, for the nights we want.

I'm not sure what we're going to do with this event. We've been happy with the 3 events we've done since becoming PAPs (DCA preview with panel discussion, Scavenger Hunt & Steps in Time, Pirates & Tower events), so we'd hate to miss out on something really fun. The trouble with most events is they don't give you all the info up front, so you can make your best decision. I understand they want to leave room for "suprises", but it would be nice to know what all is included beforehand, especially when it comes to the seminars and such.

cstephens
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM

Actually, not for me. I don't attend the events because of the merchandise, and I think it would be kind of silly to do so. Sure, I like some of the merch, but if it was *just* merch, I wouldn't do it. Yep, that's stuff from the Indy event. They've been putting out leftover merch for some time now. They did that with the the ToT event and the Chip and Dale event and even that Sleeping Beauty event that no one seems to have ever talked about.

The watch/compass set was sold out at the event so if you thought you could wait until after the event to catch extras you'd lose out.

Actually, that's not true. The only thing sold out through RSP was the decoder pin. Everything else was for sale in the event store during the event, and most of it was put in the Indy outpost right after the event and is now in Disneyana, including the watch/compass. It was there at least as of last Sunday.

I'm going to disagree with that. Just because you have the money to afford something doesn't mean you're of a higher class than someone who can't. I would say they're looking to appeal more to people with more disposable income.

But it's not like you have to attend the event to enjoy the weekend. There's going to be plenty going on as is.

disneyhound
04-08-2005, 10:35 AM
...Amazing to see the difference in policy.. one park is looking to keep it hard core fans happy, and basically trying to just cover its cost... while another is trying to get every last penny out of their wallets...
But Darkbeer, Knotts doesn't have Innoventions... ;)

disneyperson
04-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I wanted an all night party!!!!!!!! These all just sound like "first chance to buy the special stuff" offers. I think I'll just chance showing up well before opening time with my regular old ticket., going in and not leaving until they kick me out at night. I guess can skip the speciial food and merchandise. I just need to be there.

olegc
04-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Seems like with all of the special lectures, auctions, taste of the park menus, and sessions - this is exactly the Disneyana convention layout (well, OK, not exactly, but sort of). It seems they may focus on this and not do a Disneyana event, right? That could also explain the high-end focus.

jiminycesq
04-08-2005, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone - just wanted to post some of my thoughts on this, it has been interesting reading the different reactions, and I have been looking forward to the details of the event for years, so at last they are here!

First, and perhaps this has been noted elsewhere, as with any special event some of the pricing options are not within the control of "Merchandise Special Events" - like admission, hotel rates, etc. As I understand it, Disneyland (and the whole company) expects its divisions to charge one another as though they were unrelated, to make their own departmental goals, so the division putting on the event has to negotiate all the individual prices with hotels etc. just like you and I would if we were planning a meeting. It aint cheap or easy.

Second, I do believe the people in Merchandise Special Events have been working on this for a long time, waiting for some of the things that are not within their control to be resolved. They contract with the creative talent, plan meals, develop the auction program, etc. for months - and if you notice, there are only about 1,000 maximum participating in this event - even less for the breakfast on Sunday the 17th (250 total). So despite the high registration prices, the "gate" itself is not a huge money windfall for Disney - it takes thousands of hours of work and ultimately hundreds of people to pull something like this off.

I think the Event people care very much about putting on the best show they can. Its not all about selling. But it wouldnt happen without selling. Whether the price is affordable or right or reasonable is a matter of personal opinion - but as someone else indicated, I think if they were any lower there would be a lot of people left wanting. Even at these levels I imagine they will sell out the day they go on sale - maybe not.

The staff cant guarantee what merchandise will arrive when, or what "special guests" will expect/demand to speak, etc. - in short, they are working very hard with limited ability to control the outcome. Why? Sure, to make money. Every business, even not for profits, has to make money to grow and survive. But I believe that many of the team are working on this to keep that segment of Disneylanders / fans/ collectors happy becuase they know for most of us we will never see something like this again in our lifetime - unless we are very young and last another half century. Besides that - Disneyland may not. So this is a truly unique moment and I am glad they are putting the effort into it.

All that said, I do have some questions, which may not be possible for anyone to answer but I think they are reasonable, as follows -

1) If married couples both buy a package with hotel, they apparently have to take 2 nights on before the event - Wed. 13th/Thurs 14th. But, if they wanted to go to Fess Parkers on the 14th, they are basically being required to get the same night at two hotels. Seems odd - maybe they have a fix for this. Odder still though, in the fine print, it states that the 2 early nights will not necessarily be at the same hotel as on the 15th and 16th - so people might have to move in the middle of their stay. Not the most convenient - but again, out of the control of the event staff. The hotel doesnt take orders from them. I just hope the event staff have considered how to manage this as best as they can.

2) The real problem in my opinion with the hotel packages is the lack of nights on the 17th. I am sure the event staff regrets this, but, for anyone going to the dawn breakfast, they will either have to check out of the hotel and pack their stuff into the car before going to the Park on the 50th itself, or leave after breakfast and come back in. Neither option is particularly practical. I would have supported requiring a 3 night hotel stay rather than 2, but again, room availability is not within event management control - as I understand it. Please dont flame me if I am wrong!

3) Oddly enough, the presence of the "in park dinner" on the 16th and "dawn breakfast" on the 17th would imply that there is NOT an all night event for the public - otherwise, people would be mingling about these meals that were not a part of the event. Previous similar events have been held in closed sections of the park; however, I doubt (I could be wrong) that an all night party would be held and then at the beginning part roped off for a dinner for 1000 people and another part roped off at 4 am for a breakfast for 250 people. To me, this is an indicator against any all night event for the public. Again, ... just my theorizing.

4) I SURE HOPE that the dawn breakfast attendees get to stay in the park til opening. It would be disastrous to be asked to walk out and wait in line to come back in. That would be a horrendous insult, a crime, to impose on the guests at these rates. The info doesnt say it does or doesnt - I encourage event staff to clarify that ASAP. Access, ease, comfort, lack of stress are the key factors for many of us who hope to attend.

5) It would be nice to know more about the seminars, merchandise, speakers etc. before the registration on the 22nd. Lets hope something is posted before then. But if not ... I am still willing to gamble. I will be there, I have saved for over a year, I am excited, and it will be worth every penny, to me.

My biggest problem personally again is with the lack of hotel rooms on the night of the 17th. I already have a 3 night package for Friday/Saturday/Sunday at the DL hotel, paid for. For the difference in package price with vs. without hotel, I would have to pay roughly $1200 for two nights instead of three - admittedly with perks at the event I wont get otherwise, like the Mark Twain breakfast - but being required to manage logistics of checking out, etc. is such a headache. Again, I am certain event planners would have liked it to be different too, but this is a big problem.

All in all, 1000 people get to participate, it will be unforgettable and fun, only 250 get breakfast on the 17th (and hopefully stay inside), and 50 get to go to Legends and eat on the MT at dawn. What a treat! Sure, there will be plenty of fun that weekend for those who dont attend, and sure, you could go to some other "park" for an "event" - but it couldnt compare with this one. The reality is, no one would pay that kind of money for Knotts. They will for the happiest place on earth. And even though we arent all in that income bracket, enough are that will have memories for a lifetime from this never to be repeated opportunity.

Thanks for letting me share my perspective, hope I didnt offend anybody!