PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 1st visit to DLR

Pages : [1] 2

NYC
04-07-2005, 12:14 PM
I have received great information from this site in the past, and now have molre questions since I'm actively planning our visit.

(1) If we can't book the Grand Calif Hotel, is it worth the $$ for the DLH or PP hotels as opposed to using our points for a free stay at a nearby Marriott Hotel? From the pics on the Disney website, these 2 hotels don't look very themed and don't appear to have themed grounds or offer many activities. Since I'm a big Disney fan (my friends call me a "Disnoid", whatever that means) I want to stay on property, but hubby questions these 2 hotels. What's your opinion? Are these hotels more "Disney immersive" than they appear to be in the pics? I'm looking for ammunition to convince hubby to stay on property.

(2) We hit a BIG roadblock in our planning. It's a must to see Fant/Fireworks/Elec Parade, but Dis website lists these shows as seasonal (assuming that means weekends and peak seasons). Since we absolutely, positively HATE crowds, we plan to go on weekdays during a non-peak season. If we go during peak season or weekends, our experience at DLR could turn negative very quickly if we feel cramped and crowded, no matter how wonderful the resort is...and I certainly don't want that to happen. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that the shows will be running nightly during the 50th. Does anyone know if they will? At WDW, no matter when we go we always can see their shows since they run nightly, so this would be quite a disappointment.

(3) Can we assume that there are no attraction closures during the Fant and fireworks setup. In our planning we are not anticipating that parts of the park will be closed at any time. If sections of the park are closed down for the setup, I would rather know about it now so we can plan accordingly. I hope that's not the case, though.

(4) Many of you described DLR as being cozy and intimate. I'm trying to get an idea of the size in my "mind's eye." It sounds like it's equivalent in size to Universal Florida. For those who have been to Universal Fla, is that a good size comparison? Univ has 2 theme parks within walking distance of each other, a huge DTD-type entertainment complex, 3 gorgeously themed hotels and great restaurants and entertainment options...appears to be very similar to DLR. Seems the only difference is that Univ has boats to transport guests to and from the hotels if they do not want to walk. I'm really trying to determine the size of DLR, and this comparison in size will help.

Just one side question: From reading the different DLR boards I get the impression that the DLR veterans don't particularly care for WDW. Since we've never been to DLR, we have to trust your opinion, and because of this our expectations of DLR are even higher than they were before. We absolutely love WDW, and it's always been a place that our family enjoyed throughout the years. When our twins were young, we focused on the MK. As they got older, their attention turned more away from the MK and focused more on the other parks. Now they are totally focused on all the other Disney activities/offerings as well (golfing, horseback riding, water skiing, parasailing, water parks, night clubs, festivals/special events, fabulous restaurants, wonderfully themed resorts, etc., etc., etc. as well as the parks. As a result, our vacations have expanded from one to two weeks. For our family, WDW is much more than just the parks (although the parks are extremely important)........it's the whole WDW experience that makes our vacations so enjoyable.

We are now REALLY looking forward to the whole DLR experience. We love WDW, but if so many of you feel DLR is sooo much better, we are fully prepared to be totally blown away by DLR and anxiously anticipating that the DLR experience will far exceed our WDW vacation experiences. We can't wait.

stan4d_steph
04-07-2005, 12:20 PM
(3) Can we assume that there are no attraction closures during the Fant and fireworks setup. In our planning we are not anticipating that parts of the park will be closed at any time. If sections of the park are closed down for the setup, I would rather know about it now so we can plan accordingly. I hope that's not the case, though.If they're shooting fireworks off of the Matterhorn and/or Castle they will be closed and not reopened until cleared by the Fire Marshall. During the Believe show It's a Small World was also closed. ToonTown will definitely be closed during fireworks.

Rouxe1688
04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
I've heard that the Pacific hotel isn't very themed but I've never stayed there. I have stayed at DLH 3 times and it deffinatly has the Disney thing going on, it's just not over the top. It's all in the details really, like the sconces for the lamps in the bathrooms are Mickey hands, the mirror looks like the magic mirror in snow white, there's a drawing of Sneezy over the tissue slot, a map of the original plans for DL on the tv cabinet, and of course the wall paper, blankets and pictures on the wall are disney. I really think you should stay on sight, there are lovely waterfalls and fishponds at the DLH, as well as (at least there used to be, don't remember if it's still there) a little water/light show that goes off at night. If you do stay, i recommend Hooks Point and Croc's Bits n Bites (Croc's is a stand that sells the most fantastic burgers and fries.)

I don't think anything closes before the fireworks, the lines are always, even if only a little bit, shorter during the shows. Tom Sawyers Island will close before Fantasmic but i think that's it.

WDW beats DL in the recreation are by far. As far as I know, and i could be wrong, it's been 2 years since i've been to DL (been visiting the grandparents in FL and going to WDW) but the only things to do aside from the parks and DTD are swimming, vollyball, golf &think there's a gym. I personally like DL better than WDW, though WDW has more to offer I think DL has more attention to detail. It's the original, it has Walt Disney's personal touch to it and hidden surprises (touch the gold apple on snow white's adventure, for instance). Wander off on side paths, there's often some little detail that's perfectly Disney.
Have fun, remember the goat trick, ride the matterhorn at night, and if you can get a waterside table at the Blue Bayou.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Many people will have input for you on many of your questions, so I will address #4, since it's broaded than just DLR.

Yeah, you could use the Universal/IOA comparison to DCA/DL, generally speaking [as contrasted with WDW]. DCA is right "across the street,'' so to speak, from Disneyland, and Downtown Disney is right alongside them. So it's all self-containted, unlike WDW, in which the parks and services are miles apart. People who areused to DLR [and I am totally generalizing here] tend to prefer that "intimate" experience over the vast WDW feeling. My opinion, it's more relaxing to just walk from place to place, and WDW is exhausting in that regard. It's MILES from one thing to another. We had a great time but it was also rather overwhelming. I like the coziness of DLR better. That said, people who are used to the scope of WDW may find Disneyland itself "small." Everything at Magic Kingdom tends to be bigger and more spread apart. The size of the castle at DLR may surprise you; much smaller. But as the previous post indicates, the details are better. It's just got more charm somehow.

So, all that said, at Disneyland, you MUST do these things:
1) Pirates of the Caribbean - longer and better than WDW
2) Fantasyland! if there's one place where the intimacy and magic of DL far surpasses WDW, it's Fantasyland. More old-style rides, more color, more fantasy, more magic! Ride the teacups for a great view, and don't miss Alice!

oregontraveler
04-07-2005, 12:43 PM
1) I've never stayed on site, the only "themed" hotels are Disney ones. From what I've read, it seems you are paying alot for "theming" for the service you get. As a Disnoid, you would love the 3 hotels, but from $$ point, It might be better to stay at the Mariott.

2) That's the tradeoff for going off-season and during the weekdays. However, my last trip was Mon-Weds of Thanksgiving week, crowds were decent, fireworks everynight and Elec. Parade, no F! because of Columbia rehab though.

jrad32
04-07-2005, 12:47 PM
1. I'd say you won't lose much at a Marriot. The DLH and PP hotels are not up to the themeing levels of the Grand Calif. or the WDW hotels.

4. Having been both to the MK in WDW and DL I can tell you you will notice a difference in size. The castles and the walkways are very different in size.

5. Side question - Don't get your hopes up. WDW is truly a resort destination, and DLR does not compare on almost any level. Many people myself included prefer Disneyland to the Magic Kingdom, but if you are comparing all of WDW to DLR resort its an unfair comparison.

WDW has tons of space compared to DLR small space. We have no Epcot, no MGM, no AK and none of the other long lists of amenities you list that your family likes to do at WDW. We do have DCA, but that is not necessarily a good thing in many people's opinion. It's a half day park at best.

My advice is DO NOT try to compare WDW and all it offers to DLR or you will come away disappointed. Go and enjoy the magically aspects of Disneyland and the fact that it is the park Walt walked in and designed much of. Enjoy the history and the great attractions at DL, but don't compare it to the complete vacation experience of WDW.

I don't know how long you will be in town, but you may also want to consider some other activities as well as Disney if you have time. Visit the beach, catch an Angels, Dodgers or Padres game, maybe hit the San Diego Zoo, the La Brea Tar Pits.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh, and we stayed at the PPH once, on a super dicscount. It was OK, but I wouldn't pay the full-price rates for it. We usually try to save $$ on the hotel and spend it on a fancy meal at Napa Rose instead. :)

jrad32
04-07-2005, 12:51 PM
I to have stayed at PPH and it was fine, but other than some Mickey soap and some Disney art and pictures, it was a fairly standard hotel.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 12:56 PM
WDW has tons of space compared to DLR small space. We have no Epcot, no MGM, no AK and none of the other long lists of amenities you list that your family likes to do at WDW. We do have DCA, but that is not necessarily a good thing in many people's opinion. It's a half day park at best.

My advice is DO NOT try to compare WDW .

Good advice. But knowing the scope ahead of time is helpful for planning purposes.

Note re DCA: If someone's used to WDW, the nice thing about DCA is that many of the "E-ticket" rides from the various WDW parks are in DCA. So instead of having to go to MGM, Epcot, and Animal Kingdom to hit them, you get Soarin, ToT, Grizzly River, California Screamin, et al. at DCA. And Star Tours and Indy [sorta like Dinosaur, for WDW-goer reference] are at DL. So you don't have to drive/bus all over creation to get to the hot rides.

jrad32
04-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Good advice. But knowing the scope ahead of time is helpful for planning purposes.

:) I totally agree. it is highly helpful for planning.

It just seems from the post that she is expecting DLR to blow away WDW from the posts she has read. While that is possible in my opinion it is not very likely. Now DL blowing away the MK is a completely different story, I'd predict that they end up prefering DL to MK :)

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
:) I totally agree. it is highly helpful for planning.

It just seems from the post that she is expecting DLR to blow away WDW from the posts she has read. While that is possible in my opinion it is not very likely. Now DL blowing away the MK is a completely different story, I'd predict that they end up prefering DL to MK :)

Totally different sized experiences. They don't call it Disney "World" for nothing. Now, of course, we expect a full report from NYC after the trip. :)

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 01:14 PM
(2) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that the shows will be running nightly during the 50th. Does anyone know if they will?

Oh, and for the above, check the DLR Web site calendar for parade/show/fireworks schedules. Might not go out as far as you are planning, but it'll show eventually. Parades and fireworks may be daily in summer, but Fantasmic! may only be on weekend nights [Fri/Sat]. You'll have to check your dates.

lauramaynot
04-07-2005, 01:24 PM
We stayed in the DLH, I agree great theming and awesome view - we were in the corner of the Sierra tower on the 9th floor and could see down downtown disney and at night the mountains (big thunder, space, matterhorn) all glowed it was beautiful. What a dream to sit by the balcony and look out over the park and wonder what Walt would think of the place now :fez: also a great perk is charging your food and purchases to your room and leaving with one bill and knowing EXACTLY how much you spent. On the other hand I wasn't impressed with the walk to the parks. Sure you get admission to DL via the monorail but the lines are long in the am and if you want to go to DCA you have to hoof it anyway. Also since we came and went from the park in tommorowland we had to make a special effort to visit mainstreet.

SoCalDude
04-07-2005, 01:37 PM
If you are picking a on-site hotel, go for the Disneyland hotel, my second choice is the PP (a close second) with the GCH a distant third. For me, the GCH is not worth the money in any way! You have much better things to be spending your money on during your time at/in the parks.

CoasterChickie
04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
IMO, the Disneyland Hotel is the most Disney themed of the three hotels.

I've stayed at the Marriott and it's a very nice hotel ,but sometimes more expensive than the DLR hotels. Plus, everything cost extra like the internet connection, breakfast, shuttle to the DLR, etc.

And I'm more apt to go back to the hotel in the middle of the day and take a nap or take advantage of the ammenities if I'm staying on property than off -site. It's really nice being able to hop on the monorail and walk a little ways to the DLH versus walking down down Main Street, out to the shuttle stops and back to the hotel.

However, if you don't mind walking, it only takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Marriott.

mystycalchyk
04-07-2005, 02:04 PM
I will try snip off only the pertinent parts so the mods dont execute me for quoting too much ;)

(1) ...is it worth the $$ for the DLH or PP hotels as opposed to using our points for a free stay at a nearby Marriott Hotel? ...(my friends call me a "Disnoid", whatever that means) ...I want to stay on property, but hubby questions these 2 hotels.

I would go for DLH over PP. I will honestly tell you I have never stayed in either but I have visited them. Sadly they are too far out of my price range. This is one area that WDW has it all over DLR, since they have soooooooo many hotel choices in so many prices ranges. DLH is lovely and very Disneyesque. Staying off property would NOT be my choice if money werent an object ;) One day I hope to stay at DLH and GC *dreams*

Oh and I think that Disnoid is a New York accent being put on Disnerd :p

*as spoken from a geek who is proud to be labeled as such*

(2) It's a must to see Fant/Fireworks/Elec Parade, but Dis website lists these shows as seasonal (assuming that means weekends and peak seasons). ....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that the shows will be running nightly during the 50th. Does anyone know if they will? At WDW, no matter when we go we always can see their shows since they run nightly, so this would be quite a disappointment.

I think I have heard that they will run through the 50th. When are you planning on going?
Our Fantasmic is WAY better than WDW's IMO. To avoid the crowd you can book the Fantasmic Dessert balcony. You wont be cramped at all, except as you cram all the decadant goodies into your tummy ;) There are only 20 IIRC seats available up there and its the best view of Fantasmic bar none especially if you wish to avoid crowds.

(3) Can we assume that there are no attraction closures during the Fant and fireworks setup.

The only thing that will close for Fireworks set up is Toontown which will close early.

(4) Many of you described DLR as being cozy and intimate. I'm trying to get an idea of the size in my "mind's eye." It sounds like it's equivalent in size to Universal Florida. I'm really trying to determine the size of DLR, and this comparison in size will help.

DL is like MK but with smaller streets. If that makes sense. Thats the main thing we noticed in WDW, that the other side of the street (on Main Street) was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over there. And that the castle was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the road.
So its just more compact.

I've not been to the entire Universal Park extravaganza, but we did do IOA. It's hard to compare DL to IOA because IIRC IOA is in a big circle and you just kind of walk around the park till you get back to where you started. WDW is like DL in that its a spoke design from the main central hub.
WDW has no Matterhorn and WDW has Liberty Square as opposed to our New Orleans Square.

Just one side question: From reading the different DLR boards I get the impression that the DLR veterans don't particularly care for WDW. Since we've never been to DLR, we have to trust your opinion, and because of this our expectations of DLR are even higher than they were before. We absolutely love WDW, and it's always been a place that our family enjoyed throughout the years. When our twins were young, we focused on the MK. As they got older, their attention turned more away from the MK and focused more on the other parks. Now they are totally focused on all the other Disney activities/offerings as well (golfing, horseback riding, water skiing, parasailing, water parks, night clubs, festivals/special events, fabulous restaurants, wonderfully themed resorts, etc., etc., etc. as well as the parks. As a result, our vacations have expanded from one to two weeks. For our family, WDW is much more than just the parks (although the parks are extremely important)........it's the whole WDW experience that makes our vacations so enjoyable.

We are now REALLY looking forward to the whole DLR experience. We love WDW, but if so many of you feel DLR is sooo much better, we are fully prepared to be totally blown away by DLR and anxiously anticipating that the DLR experience will far exceed our WDW vacation experiences. We can't wait.
egads there was no way to cut that anywhere so I beg the mods forgiveness...
I fear about you having such high expectations. Honestly. I mean I absolutely LOVE Disneyland. Love it love it love it. My first time there was in 1997 (I had been an east coaster prior to that and WDW had been myh only experience.)

To compare the two is unfair.
If we are JUST comparing Disneyland proper to WDW's Magic Kingdom then IMO Disneyland wins hands down, no questions asked. I just dont feel the magic in MK. I dont know why, I cant place my finger on it, but tis just not there.
But to compare our teensy DL to all of WDW just isnt good.
Obviously WDW has the luxury of lots of space. And with all that space come ammenities that simply cannot be had in DLR. As previously mentioned they have all those wonderful resorts that you can spend days just exploring. Each resort has its own unique theme and several have their own themed shows :eek:. They have fabulous fabulous fabulous restaraunts, and a gabillion of them to choose from. They have Pleasure Island (which I personally find hilarious that its named after the place in Pinnochio which is NOT very Disney ;) )

I loved WDW, truly I did. I just didnt love MK. DL is home to me (even though MK was my first experience)

Enjoy yourself but please dont try to compare our beloved DL to the extravegance that is WDW, you will be disappointed.

Instead, Relax and enjoy DL in comparison to MK, and maybe you'll experience the magic that draws us back again and again.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

bradk
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
just for the record, i think there are quite a few attractions that are going to be shut down during the Remember fireworks including most of Fantasyland.

stan4d_steph
04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
The only thing that will close for Fireworks set up is Toontown which will close early.Not true. See my post above. The area around and through the castle was closed during Believe, and if there is castle pyro for the new show, it will be closed this time around as well. Peter Pan was closed as well. Small World was also closed on occasion during Believe if the winds were causing fall out to drift farther away from ToonTown.

Also, the new effect with Tinkerbell around the Matterhorn - does anyone know if this will cause the ride to be closed? A recent test of pyro fired off the Matterhorn was observed by another poster. If they fire pyro off the mountain, the ride will most likely be closed during fireworks for safety reasons.

mystycalchyk
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Not true. See my post above. The area around and through the castle was closed during Believe, and if there is castle pyro for the new show, it will be closed this time around as well. Peter Pan was closed as well. Small World was also closed on occasion during Believe if the winds were causing fall out to drift farther away from ToonTown.

Ahh so true , my mistake. Thanks :)

(note to self: actually read the thread before you jump in and answer any queries)

sediment
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
I have received great information from this site in the past, and now have molre questions since I'm actively planning our visit.

(1) If we can't book the Grand Calif Hotel, is it worth the $$ for the DLH or PP hotels as opposed to using our points for a free stay at a nearby Marriott Hotel? From the pics on the Disney website, these 2 hotels don't look very themed and don't appear to have themed grounds or offer many activities. Since I'm a big Disney fan (my friends call me a "Disnoid", whatever that means) I want to stay on property, but hubby questions these 2 hotels. What's your opinion? Are these hotels more "Disney immersive" than they appear to be in the pics? I'm looking for ammunition to convince hubby to stay on property.
(snip)
(5) Just one side question: From reading the different DLR boards I get the impression that the DLR veterans don't particularly care for WDW. Since we've never been to DLR, we have to trust your opinion, and because of this our expectations of DLR are even higher than they were before. We absolutely love WDW, and it's always been a place that our family enjoyed throughout the years. When our twins were young, we focused on the MK. As they got older, their attention turned more away from the MK and focused more on the other parks. Now they are totally focused on all the other Disney activities/offerings as well (golfing, horseback riding, water skiing, parasailing, water parks, night clubs, festivals/special events, fabulous restaurants, wonderfully themed resorts, etc., etc., etc. as well as the parks. As a result, our vacations have expanded from one to two weeks. For our family, WDW is much more than just the parks (although the parks are extremely important)........it's the whole WDW experience that makes our vacations so enjoyable.

1. I like free. You might not like it as much as I, though. You should call them to check how often their shuttles pick up at night, or is there a phone number to call for pick up, or possibly arrange ahead of time your departure from DLr. The Disney hotels are in walking distance.
5. This is a very DLr-centric board, so there is a natural affinity for DLr over WDW. I would guess that most have not been to both, but will spout their opinions nonetheless. This board is on the internet (as you well know), so it naturally attracts some people more, how shall we say, boistrous, than the average man-on-street.

I agree with misty. They are not easily comparable. The experiences are not the same. For starters, depending on when you come, there isn't a week's worth of things to do at DLr. Most people would include a few days at DLr, and then see the rest of SoCal for the rest of the week. There is enough in SoCal to fill a month. (Especially if you include a side trip to Vegas.)

Tyuasd
04-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I don't know how long you will be in town, but you may also want to consider some other activities as well as Disney if you have time. Visit the beach, catch an Angels, Dodgers or Padres game, maybe hit the San Diego Zoo, the La Brea Tar Pits.

I definitely second this. Although Disney may not offer everything that you listed, Souther California has just about everything that you could want to do. Don't limit yourself to Disneyland if you enjoy a varied recreational experience. So. Cal. is one of the few areas worldwide where you can surf in the morning and ski in the evening. Make your own California Adventures.

Regarding the closures during fireworks: Rumors are that more attractions will be closed for the "Remember..." show than past shows (like many Fantasyland attractions). Al Lutz talked about possible closures in his column this week on www.miceage.com The full link is:

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al040505a.htm

NYC
04-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Wow, I never expected to receive so much good information in such a short amount of time! Thank you all for your responses. You set me straight on many things. It is far better to now what to expect ahead of time than to go and be "surprised." I am sure I will absolutely love DLR, though. I just love everything Disney. I sort of feel at home here on this board, because everyone here shares a love for Disney. Most of my friends think I am just plain crazy for liking Disney so much. I guess some people just don't get it!

Some have suggested taking in the rest of So Cal. We have been to the San Diego and San Fran areas many times on business and have had time to extensively tour those areas with vendors and co-workers who live in those areas. So we got guided tours. We have also been to Vegas many times on business as well, going again next month as a matter of fact. This vacation was planned specifically for DLR. I have always dreamed of going, but it was difficult to justify going cross-country to see it. We may, though, take time to tour the LA area if we can't spend a week at DLR.

I'm still torn between an on-site hotel and a freebie off site. Sounds like the DLH is pretty nice if we can't get the Californian. Just have to convince hubby. Are there a lot of extra perks for staying on-site? Extra hours, etc?

One other question, but not really Disney related. All the times we have been to Calif (beautiful state by the way), we have never been able to go in the water because it was always too cold for us, even when we went in the warm months. Since we are beach bums, can you suggest a beach close to DLR where the water isn't as cold? Or is the Pacific Ocean just naturally colder than the Atlantic Ocean and the gorgeous Gulf of Mexico beaches?

Again, thanks for your quick response.

D-lander 1956
04-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Living in Surf City, I can attest to the "frigid" waters here. They may warm up by the end of August, but only if the air temperatures soar into the 90s which is rare on this coast near the water. The air temps stay pretty mild and cool for the waters to really warm up. Oh and BTW, welcome to MP, you'll find everyone is a chatty bunch that always offer good advice and recommendations. ;)

Have a great trip!

WITron
04-07-2005, 08:52 PM
IMO the best beach in the area is Balboa, not just because of the beach, but the shops and entertainment area. The Pacific Ocean is cooler than the Atlantic due to a cold current that runs along the coast.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
If we are JUST comparing Disneyland proper to WDW's Magic Kingdom then IMO Disneyland wins hands down, no questions asked. I just dont feel the magic in MK. I dont know why, I cant place my finger on it, but tis just not there.

"I just don't feel the magic." That's exactly what my Disney pal and I said after our first visit to the MK. We loved the trip, and we went back again within a year, but there's something missing in FL. This May will be my first trip back to DL sine last Jan and two trips to WDW. We'll see how it feels to "be home." But it's very hard to finger exactly why people feel this way.
[Apart from what I said above about Fantasyland being better.]