PDA

View Full Version : "You're a CM? So I just got to know..."

Mouse
01-09-2002, 02:22 PM
It's so funny. Once you tell some people you work at Disneyland you'll be forever introduced by them to others as "This is Mouse, she works at Disneyland." Sometimes the first time people hear I work at DL they come up these funny rumors they've heard and want to know if they or true or not.

The most common thing I get is asked about is the "Underground City" or "Underground tunnels" that connect "all of Disneyland."
I always break it to them gently that in reality there are only a few underground locations and passages, that aren't the least bit interesting.

Once I got: "So I heard that in the Indiana Jones Ride whatever door the person in the second row all the way to the left of the car is looking at is the door you go through...Is that true?"
Unfortunately I had to tell the individual that as I did not work at Indy I could not be sure but there was a 99.9% chance that that was not true.

Do you other cast members have any good rumors to tell that people have asked you about? I'd love to hear them.:)

bluepearl
01-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Mouse, I know what you're talking about, even though I haven't started my job there yet! Well, not quite in the park, but at the Resort. Anyhoo...I can just imagine the sort of questions my relatives will ask me!

I have one of those Guest of Honor nametags and always put it on one of my bags. One time I went into Fry's and my friend bought something so we had to get his purchase checked out by an employee at the exit door. She looked at my tag and said, "Oh, you work at Disneyland?!" I said, "No, it's just a pin I bought because I'm there all the time." And she said, "It must be fun working the rides." She smiled and we left. I chuckled to my friend saying, "I think she didn't hear me when I said I didn't work there. I guess she was just preoccupied with the thought that I did!" :lol: I thought it was pretty funny.

tinkfreak
01-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Do you ever notice that when you tell them that the "underground city" thing isn't real they don't seem to believe you? I always get the look like "oh, she just doesn't know about it". Hilarious.

While that's defiantly the most common question, I get all kinds. Sometimes I get really sick of it. It seems like when ever I'm introduced to someone and the conversation goes dead they always revert to some lame question that I have no idea how to respond to.

Sure, I understand the curiosity and the "mystery" that surrounds my place of work. Sometimes it's just a little much.

tabacco
01-09-2002, 05:46 PM
The two things I get asked most often are:

"Do you play Mickey?"

and

"So, is it true there's a secret bar or something in the park?"

I almost wish #1 were true, just to see the look on the face of people who were just joking around when I told them yes :)

The tunnels thing I get asked every now and then, but people believe me when I get into specifics: "Oh, there are a couple of underground storerooms and a few tunnels under New Orleans Square, but otherwise not much."

driftwood714
01-09-2002, 09:23 PM
bluepearl,

have you figured out where you're going to apply for, yet?

bluepearl
01-09-2002, 10:26 PM
driftwood714: I'm going to be in store operations in Downtown Disney. I wanted to do attractions in the park (preferably DCA) or guest relations, but they weren't hiring for attractions and they were looking for bilingual guest relations people.

Morrigoon
01-09-2002, 10:28 PM
WOD? I have a friend who works there, she likes it.

driftwood714
01-10-2002, 12:59 AM
bluepearl: Great. Well welcome to the Resort. The good thing is that after half a year you can always try transfering out to another department. I'm sure you'll enjoy working Store Ops and want to stay. We'll all keep an eye out for you when you start and say hello.

Upanova
01-10-2002, 06:57 AM
Hmm. that's funny cause you wanted to go into Attractions. Just got the call yesterday asking for me to come back to Attractions. They offered me point blank Attractions and said, "Ya'll Come Back Now!" So I took the offer.

Hmm, its strange to be back into the fold. Gotta do some paperwork next week, then attend Orientation again, and then hope they don't put me into DCA. Would like to return to DL again at my old attraction....Whoo-hoo!

Yes, maybe later on you could transfer, btw when is your orientation date? Probably will be there with you if yours is at the start of Feb.... ;-)

Upanova

Another of Walt's finest....

"Oh me, oh my, it's Costume Shop Time!"

mad4mky
01-10-2002, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Mouse

The most common thing I get is asked about is the "Underground City" or "Underground tunnels" that connect "all of Disneyland."
I always break it to them gently that in reality there are only a few underground locations and passages, that aren't the least bit interesting.

Maybe they are confusing DL with Magic Kingdom at WDW...which does have a full "underground" tunnel...or corridorlator or something called that. It has costuming, barber shop, lunch rooms, etc down there. Actually, Magic Kingdom is built on a mound...the 'underground tunnel" is actually ground level...Magic Kingdom is above it.
People probably figure since they have that at WDW, they would at DL.

I thought you CM's get mostly asked about the "basketball court" in the Matterhorn.

bluepearl
01-10-2002, 10:41 AM
driftwood714: Thanks! So I can apply to transfer after half a year? That sounds cool because I'd really like to work in DCA.

Upanova: Yeah, I was there on the 4th, and they weren't offering attractions. And I actually want to work at DCA! Probably because it's less crowded and I spend a lot of time in the park anyway. I really love the music they play in the park. I fill out paperwork in a little over a week, and my orientation starts on the 26th of January.

And today I told a friend about getting a job there and he said, "So what are you going to do? Dress up as Minnie Mouse?"

Upanova
01-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Glad to hear that you got the job in Store Opps! I'll be heading in right after you on Feb. 2nd. Just have to make one more trip to the big yellow building out back to fill out more paperwork and get my ID..YES! Discounts are back!!!! Plus shopping at TDA! More pins and cool things. Too bad I missed out when the Nightmare took over the Mansion. I heard there were some pretty cool things for sale....

"Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho, it's off to work I go...."

:) :) :) :) :)

tinkfreak
01-10-2002, 01:42 PM
Bluepearl:

Don't worry, most likely you'll get to venture outside of WOD now and again. I'm inside DL and my area gets WOD people sometimes when we run short (seems they have an abundance of CM's). You'll probably see your share of DCA and DL this summer. Hope I get to meet you!

ripplededge
01-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Upanova:
"They offered me point blank Attractions and said, "Ya'll Come Back Now!" So I took the offer."

You were smart and asked for a raise first, right?

bluepearl
01-10-2002, 11:15 PM
Upanova: Thanks! Well, if you see me around Orientation or something, say hi to me! I'm usually very shy so you'll have to forgive me if I'm really quiet! And what discounts are there?

tinkfreak: Thank you very much!! That sounds exciting - just the possibility of being pulled to go into one of the shops at DCA or DL! And yes, if you see me around, stop me and say hi; like I told Upanova, I get really shy but I'm really nice!

tabacco
01-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by bluepearl
And what discounts are there?

20% off merchandise and food, and some assorted discounts like 20% off the McDonald's on Harbor, discount weddings (really!), etc.

Also, of course, you get to sign yourself in :)

bluepearl
01-11-2002, 08:30 AM
Thanks for that info, Tabacco! How long do I have to work before I can sign my family in?

driftwood714
01-11-2002, 09:45 AM
3 months.

tabacco
01-11-2002, 11:15 AM
that's assuming you're hiring as a CR or higher, though. CTs never get main gate passes.

bluepearl
01-11-2002, 10:00 PM
I was under the assumption that it was 6 months, but 3 months is a better number than my original! Sounds good.

Tabacco: I'm pretty sure I got hired as a CR and not a CT. On the yellow sheet I got, it said they were only hiring CR/part-time. If they were hiring CT, would that be listed or would they offer that option?