PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the TAG



AVP
04-24-2001, 07:01 AM
Welcome to the ThemePark Access Guide Board, home of the TAG. We are your hosts, Tony Phoenix and Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

This board is your place to discuss theme park acess issues, as they relate to guests with disabilities. The board is not park-specific - feel free to post questions, comments and tips for any theme park.

Enjoy!

Tony and Adrienne -
The TAG Team
:p

Napsto
07-15-2001, 12:58 PM
tahnks.

mad4mky
07-25-2001, 01:33 PM
Boy, I have learned to really appreciate Disney!! Their crowd control, trams and overall upkeep on the parks is amazing (even though we all agree some upkeep is lacking...painting,etc.).
But, last Friday I went to Six Flags Marine World in Vallejo with my disabled daughter. What a mess! Their policies on helping people with disabilities are atrocious. The young girl at the Guest Relations told me that due to complaints from other customers, disabeled guest were not allowed any special access to rides. If a line was 45 mintues long...they could wait at the wheelchair access for 45 minutes to get onto a ride. I couldn't believe it! People complained that disabled kids got some extra treatment! I have to say, that at Great America in Santa Clara, and at Knott's that was not the case.
I loved it when at DL, one cast member said to me (because I did feel guilty about going before everyone on Indiana), "Every where else in the world your daughter might have some difficulties doing things and going places, while here at DL, why not let her get to go first, be treated special?" Made me feel better.:)

Lacrosse Boy
07-26-2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by AVP
Welcome to the ThemePark Access Guide Board, home of the TAG. We are your hosts, Tony Phoenix and Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

This board is your place to discuss theme park acess issues, as they relate to guests with disabilities. The board is not park-specific - feel free to post questions, comments and tips for any theme park.

Enjoy!

Tony and Adrienne -
The TAG Team
:p

Thank you

DisneylandKid
08-05-2001, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

I loved it when at DL, one cast member said to me (because I did feel guilty about going before everyone on Indiana), "Every where else in the world your daughter might have some difficulties doing things and going places, while here at DL, why not let her get to go first, be treated special?" Made me feel better.:)

I agree 100%.

AVP
08-05-2001, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
I loved it when at DL, one cast member said to me (because I did feel guilty about going before everyone on Indiana), "Every where else in the world your daughter might have some difficulties doing things and going places, while here at DL, why not let her get to go first, be treated special?" Made me feel better.:)

That is sweet - and about what I would hope to hear from most CMs. When it comes to access, Disney does some things incredibly well, and others... well, not so well.

I have not been to Marine World in eons, so I don't have recent experience. If their attitude is anything like Six Flags Magic Mountain when it comes to access, I would believe anything you told me.

We have found that Universal and Disney seem to be the best at disabled access, with Universal winning that competition by a hair. WDW seems to be more accomodating that DL, in terms of ride accessibility and design. (LOVE the wheelchair vehicle on the Buzz Lightyear attraction)

Knotts is a challenge, partly because of physical issues, partly because of attitude. For example, their Ghost Rider coaster has an elevator to the loading platform. So far, so good. However, if you actually need to use that elevator you need to make an appointment. I suppose that explains why our Knott's Annual Passes have barely been used.

I can't wait to see what IOA is like. I hope it's up to the Universal standard we enjoy at USH.

Adrienne VP

mad4mky
08-06-2001, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by AVP



We have found that Universal and Disney seem to be the best at disabled access, with Universal winning that competition by a hair. WDW seems to be more accomodating that DL, in terms of ride accessibility and design. (LOVE the wheelchair vehicle on the Buzz Lightyear attraction)

Knotts is a challenge, partly because of physical issues, partly because of attitude. For example, their Ghost Rider coaster has an elevator to the loading platform. So far, so good. However, if you actually need to use that elevator you need to make an appointment. I suppose that explains why our Knott's Annual Passes have barely been used.


Adrienne VP

My daughter is able to walk...so we didn't have to take the elevator to Ghost Rider...we used the exit. But once there, it was a hassle. They did split up our party, and it was quite a wait. But all in all, it was a fairly good experience at Knott's.
I found WDW not as accomodating as DL...we still needed to use the que's, although if needed, they provide a place for us to sit and wait until we could be loaded on the ride.
All in all, Disney does know how to treat their disabled guests well. We will have to go back to Universal Hollywood...its been years. I'll be interested how IOA is.
We are going to the new theme park in Gilroy, CA tomorrow. "Bonfante Gardens". I will let you know how they accomodate their disabled guests there.:)