PDA

View Full Version : Favorite park entertainment?

Pages : [1] 2

Kat in WA
04-07-2005, 08:35 AM
We are planning a trip with our parents in 5 weeks and would like to plan some "down" time to recharge. What is your favorite park (DCA also) entertainment (not rides)? Also, how do we find out when these are happening? Thanks.

HTHgal12
04-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Muppets in DCA, Golden Dreams in DCA and I like to take a round trip on the disneyland railroad

dlandnut
04-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Ride the Railroad until you are relaxed and your feet have rejuvenated

Find a bench and people watch

My favorite: go back to your room, take a nap, swim if you wish, return later in the evening when you're refreshed and ready to go

Most of all: enjoy yourself! :)

rentayenta
04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
Tiki Room

disneyhound
04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Don't forget Billie... ;)

wenderella
04-07-2005, 09:42 AM
HANDS DOWN! Billie Hill and the Hillbillies. We've been frequent visitors from Utah for along time, and just recently discovered what we've been missing. My kids are little...6 and 9...and I can tell you....we'll never miss it from here on out. We were all literally in tears. Parent's especially would love it! The times will be on your "white" schedule you'll get when you enter the park. It's also posted on the front if the building in Frontierland. If you go...get a piece of chocolate cake inside. It's the only place I've seen it...YUM!!! Mozzarella sticks are also good to munch on during the show. HAVE FUN! YEEE, HAWWWW!

oregontraveler
04-07-2005, 10:12 AM
There are weekly guides at the turnstiles, you can also check at city hall for entertainment information. Besides the great music groups, check out the Disney Gallery above Pirates.

mystycalchyk
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
All of these are 'must see everytime we go' in our book

Disneyland:

Adventureland: The Enchanted Tiki Room, also here is Alladin & Jasmines Storytime (we do not have kids and we still enjoy this show)

Frontierland: Billie Hill & the Hillbillies

Main Street: Great Moments with Mr Lincoln (although I hear that for the 50th this has been changed to the Walt Disney Story which will also be wonderful I'm sure)

DCA:

Studio Backlot: The Animation Building: I could just sit there for an hour in the main room just listening to the music and watching the giant screens, its my favorite place in all of DCA. Also there across the street is D.U.H. (Department of Untapped Hilarity) We LOVE this show and will usually watch them at least 3 or 4 times in a row (it's different everytime, since its all ad libbed stuff used from suggestions from the audience...think, 'Whose Line is it Anyway'). Funny FUNNY!

Although these last three arent 'must see's everytime, we still have enjoyed them more than once. In the same area as the others (Backlot) is Muppets 3D and Playhouse Disney (again we do not have kids but we still liked this show and its cool in there) and Alladin at the Hyperion Theatre.

Mommy2NicknMax
04-07-2005, 10:26 AM
I love the Aladdin show in DCA.

Also there are sometimes musicians in Downtown Disney. I'm not sure if they are there during the day but I've seen them at night. It's nice to go there and just sit and have some ice cream and listen to them. I actually bought CDs from one group during the holidays in 2003, they were a riot!

ksejr1
04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
We are planning a trip with our parents in 5 weeks and would like to plan some "down" time to recharge. What is your favorite park (DCA also) entertainment (not rides)? Also, how do we find out when these are happening? Thanks.

billy hill and the hillbillies. Also at night the bands playing in tomorrowland, or watch the people dance to swing music

stan4d_steph
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
If you enjoy jazz music, go to the French Market, grab a snack and hang out. The groups rotate through so may not always be there, but you can wait for them to come back from break and the area is well shaded.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 10:53 AM
Many great suggestions. My favorites for relaxing are:

- Afternoon swim break to rejeuvinate!!!
- Train ride around DL!!! A must.
- Sip wine at the winery in DCA [if everyone's legal and all]
- Animation Building, agreed. We just sit on the floor and watch scenes for a while.
- Grab an ice cream and pick a quiet bench off the beaten track and just sit and enjoy the moment.
- In the evening, at Napa Rose, there's a lounge where you can listen to jazz [maybe on weekend only? dunno] and have a cocktail [again, if you're all legal - but if you're not you can still sit there]
- Whatever show is playing at DCA, currently Aladdin.
- If it's early, not busy yet, we often take a little sit in New Orleans Sq and just watch everything.
- Tiki Room is fabulous

I can't second Mr. Lincoln. Mainly because when I took my parents there about two years ago, I thought the volume on the headsets was painfully high. Maybe it's been lowered, but I didn't find it relaxing at all. It's a fine production and you can rest physically, but unless they've changed the volume, I can't recommend it for mental rest.

lauramaynot
04-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I like to go over to the Hungry bear and go all the way to the back of the eating area and just sit and watch the happenings on the river. The mark twain and canoes are fun to watch. Upstairs you can watch the DLRR go by every six minutes or so. Sit downstairs if you would like to get closer to the ducks. It is usually quiet back there especially when the resturant is closed.
It's a great "show" to me!

Wendi
04-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Aladdin
Billy Hill & The Hillbillies
Lunch at Blue Bayou
Muppet Vision 3D
Snow White show
Animation Building
Tiki Room

animagusurreal
04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
DCA:

Also there across the street is D.U.H. (Department of Untapped Hilarity) We LOVE this show and will usually watch them at least 3 or 4 times in a row (it's different everytime, since its all ad libbed stuff used from suggestions from the audience...think, 'Whose Line is it Anyway'). Funny FUNNY!

I've never heard of that show and it doesn't seem to be on the DL website schedule. Is it still running? :confused: Sounds like it might be fun :D

mystycalchyk
04-07-2005, 04:23 PM
I dont think I've ever seen it on the Disney Website.

Check it out, they are a hoot.
Its across the way from Muppets 3D (back in that area) just behind the building facade that faces the main street.

animagusurreal
04-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Thanks, mystycalchyk! :) Hope they do shows in the evening, that's usually when I'm ready for a show...

mystycalchyk
04-07-2005, 04:31 PM
I dunno about at night time (I've only watched them during the day)

But if you go to the Disneyland site and then to DCA, in the upper right hand corner you can click on 'map'. If you go to that map and pan alllllllllllll the way in at the backlot area, just across from the Muppets 3d theres a building that looks like a facade with red (on the map they are red) beams. That is where the show is. (Sorry no link the map doesnt link)

Hakuna Makarla
04-07-2005, 04:37 PM
I loved the billy hill show and D.U.H I also loved mupperts and its tough to be a bug!!

Doodle Duck
04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Billy Hill And The Hillbillies

MUST SEE: Their Bluegrass 'take' on the Beatles. Outstanding.

WITron
04-07-2005, 08:54 PM
No one has mentioned two of my favorite activities on Main Street. The first is siting and listening to Rod Miller play the piano at Coke Corner. The other is going to Carnation and listening to the Big Bands on the weekend.

Fozzie
04-07-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm a fan of Playhouse Disney Live, myself. Even if you don't have kids, it's a cute, high energy show over in DCA. There are padded benches to sit on along the back of the theater, and the temp is nice and cool inside.

Also in DCA (as mentioned before): Muppetvision 3D, Aladdin, & Golden Dreams.

Disneyland: Snow White, Tiki Room, Golden Horseshoe, and Small World are always good for a relaxing little break.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 09:59 PM
We are planning a trip with our parents in 5 weeks and would like to plan some "down" time to recharge.

Is it their/everyone's first time? How old are they? Or probably more to the point, what's their mobility factor and speed?

I took my not-very-mobile parents two summers ago, and the thing is, they just loved looking around. They hadn't been to Disneyland in 30 years [they grew up in SoCal, but moved east], and for "down time," a lot of the time, we were just stopping/sitting and looking. Grabbing a snack and watching ducks, for example. Higher-energy types might leave the park for a break, but in my case, what I myself would do for a rest was sometimes too much for them [e.g., walk back to the hotel for a swim and return to the park].

So, don't underestimate the amazement value/joy of looking at the park itself from a seated position. With a yummy snack, of course!

wHiTe2k3eP
04-07-2005, 10:18 PM
i would say sitting at the edge of the river waiting for fantasmic to start... it's very kick back, and the people around you can be kinda entertaining at times. after the wait and in the end, you get a great show.

MZCosmo
04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
People watching is my fav. :p