PDA

View Full Version : Will We Ever Get Another Completely Original Attraction in DL?

Pages : [1] 2

animagusurreal
04-06-2005, 08:08 PM
It occured to me recently that (if I'm remembering correctly) every ride* for quite a long time now has been either a movie adaptation (Star Tours, Indy) a WDW transplant (Space Mountain, Big Thunder) or both (Buzz, Pooh.)

Not that there's anything wrong with these, (especially since most of the movie rides don't try to totally copy the movie) but I was wondering - are there any plans to give DL a new, completely original, Imagineered from scratch ride, like Pirates or Haunted Mansion? (And, if not, what will Jerry Bruckheimer base his movies on in 20 years?)

Of course, DCA got a few originals when it opened (though some might argue about how original some of them were ;) ) but most of the subsequent additions have also been movie adaptations. Any new originals on the horizon for this park?

Brent

*Note that I'm not including Rocket Rods. I never got to go on it, so it doesn't count :D

sdfilmcritic
04-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm sure hoping we'll eventually get an original ride in. I'm crossing my fingers for that lagoon.

Viva La Disney
04-06-2005, 08:13 PM
I hope! :eek:

Elways way
04-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Completely original??? That may be tough!!!!

I hear what you are saying......but Indy (as being borrowed from a movie), Buzz and Tower (both borrowed from WDW) are pretty nice additions that I can't really see anyone arguing about. We'll see what they come up with for Monsters Inc and the area next to BTMRR! It makes some sense that they would tie their rides to something that has already been succesful......it would take somebody like Walt to come up with something that could spawn its own movie (i.e. Pirates).

Elways way
04-06-2005, 09:07 PM
We also have the old motor cruise area to look forward to. Sounds like Matt has nixed the money saver "kids play area" approach and is looking to do something bigger and better.

Guess it makes sense to do it right the first time rather than just plug something in and fix it later (see Superstar Limo) :D

sdfilmcritic
04-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Dont' forget that a majority of the rides in Fantasyland are based upon movies.

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Of coarse WDW gets the original attraction Expedition Everest. :rolleyes:
But there are some that would argue that it is a Matterhorn copy with new technology.

The old man
04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
...a WDW transplant (Space Mountain, Big Thunder)...
Maybe I don't know my DL history, but aren't these two DL transplants to WDW?
David

spectromen
04-07-2005, 07:31 AM
We also have the old motor cruise area to look forward to. Sounds like Matt has nixed the money saver "kids play area" approach and is looking to do something bigger and better.

Like perhaps a fantastic Little Mermaid dark ride utilizing the same track and path as the Motor Boat Cruise? I just think that'd be such a great homage to the past yet still a huge crowd pleaser for today.

As far as original ideas, I'm still hoping for Western River Expedition in the Big Thunder area...at least the preliminary designs were done and paid for years ago!

Susan L
04-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Maybe I don't know my DL history, but aren't these two DL transplants to WDW?
David

I have the same question?

bluepearl
04-07-2005, 07:43 AM
I have the same question?
As I understand it, Space Mountain appeared first at WDW. I noticed that the first creations seemed to have one row (i.e., DLR's Splash Mountain has one row while subsequent Splash Mountain's seat two side-by-side). I don't know about the Big Thunder one, though.

stan4d_steph
04-07-2005, 07:55 AM
Big Thunder Mountain opened at DL in 1979 and at WDW in 1980, so it was at DL first. Space Mountain opened at WDW first in 1975; the DL version opened in 1977.

The old man
04-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Big Thunder Mountain opened at DL in 1979 and at WDW in 1980, so it was at DL first. Space Mountain opened at WDW first in 1975; the DL version opened in 1977.
That blows my mind about SM. I always thought it was an older DL ride.
David

HorizonsA
04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
(And, if not, what will Jerry Bruckheimer base his movies on in 20 years?)
*Note that I'm not including Rocket Rods. I never got to go on it, so it doesn't count :D

It's a Small World?

Actually, now that I think about it, the last original attraction to be added to Disneyland Park was Rocket Rods in 1998. It's been seven years since Disneyland had an original attraction!

TOTFan
04-07-2005, 08:23 AM
Soarin is original

cstephens
04-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Space Mountain opened at WDW first in 1975; the DL version opened in 1977.

But DL's version of Space is *oodles* better than WDW's, AND you don't get the moving walkway of death at the end.

ksejr1
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
I'm sure hoping we'll eventually get an original ride in. I'm crossing my fingers for that lagoon.

Me too ! :D

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Isn't the lagoon going to be a Nemo ride? That would make use of the original lagoon and be a ride not at WDW. Sure, it's based on a movie, but so many of them are, older ones included.

animagusurreal
04-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Oh! Thanks for the info. Don't know how I got it in my head that Big Thunder was at WDW first.

The Little Mermaid idea would go well in the Motor Boat Cruise area. I'm not against movie based attractions, I just think a few originals would be cool, too. I can't guarentee they'll be as good as Pirates, but I have a few concepts if Disney needs them :)

lauramaynot
04-07-2005, 01:28 PM
Soarin is original
yes and I think its the first ride in a while to be built first at DL and now going to WDW...oh and is anyone else feeling jipped that WDW is using DL's birthday to boost their attendance?

Disneyfreak
04-07-2005, 01:46 PM
yes and I think its the first ride in a while to be built first at DL and now going to WDW...oh and is anyone else feeling jipped that WDW is using DL's birthday to boost their attendance?

Yes........ Big time. I am insulted with how stupid they are.

lauramaynot
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Yes........ Big time. I am insulted with how stupid they are.

I actually had my husbands grandparents who live in florida say to me "we are so glad you are coming for christmas! It's Disneyworld's birthday this year! We want to take the kids because they are going to have a bunch of new things to do." It makes me wonder....

cstephens
04-07-2005, 02:24 PM
oh and is anyone else feeling jipped that WDW is using DL's birthday to boost their attendance?

Nope. It's a business.

neuhickman79
04-07-2005, 03:49 PM
As I think I have read on here before BTMRR was originally intended for WDW first but opened at DL first and vice versa for SM. I believe one of them had something to do with the gas shortage in the 70's. It had to have been SM.

neuhickman79
04-07-2005, 03:51 PM

I don't feel jipped that they used it to boost attendance. I feel jipped that it wasn't really celebrated at DL where Walt actually lived day to day.