PDA

View Full Version : Rockit Mountain May Exist!

Pages : [1] 2

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 07:24 PM
On micechat someone claims to have seen the word Rockit behind Space on the sign!!! They are going to get some high res pictures of it. :)
She saw it spelled like Rockit.

goober7011
04-06-2005, 07:38 PM
On micechat someone claims to have seen the word Rockit behind Space on the sign!!! They are going to get some high res pictures of it. :)
He saw it spelled like Rockit.
What is Rockit Mountain?

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
What is Rockit Mountain?

When Space Mountain transforms itself from day to night. :)
The ride is totally different for the nighttime with a different soundtrack for the day and one for the night. They also have different effects at night. The soundtrack at night will be rock music. The person who saw this is 100 percent sure she saw it.

goober7011
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
When Space Mountain transforms itself from day to night. :)
The ride is totally different for the nighttime with a different soundtrack for the day and one for the night. They also have different effects at night. The soundtrack at night will be rock music. The person who saw this is 100 percent sure she saw it.
Oh, I didn't know that they were going to change the name for it. That makes sense. I can't wait to ride Space "Rockit" Mountain. I liked Dick Dale's soundtrack and I hope both of these soundtracks will be good or better.
-Goober

Disney Vault
04-06-2005, 08:01 PM
http://img32.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img32&image=rockitmountain3yn.jpg

Here is a picture of it from Mouseinfo for people who aren't members. You can see it if you look really hard in the background.

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 08:06 PM
That is truly amazing and explains why it is taking 2 years. :)

goober7011
04-06-2005, 08:17 PM

Here is a picture of it from Mouseinfo for people who aren't members. You can see it if you look really hard in the background.
I'm starting to like this sign more already. :D
Someone on the MI boards made a good point. With the name changing at night that could lead to some major confusion.
-Goober

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 08:19 PM
I am sure they will explain it in the map. :)
I am also sure they will announce this on May 5th or the day it opens. So the media will know about it and broadcast it.

itig
04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
That's pretty cool...you can read it pretty clearly. Interesting :)

bradk
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
it's a little too clear actually. you would think it would show up in the other photos or would have been made mention of it much earlier than this. but it's fairly easy to confirm too if someone is at the park.

the aforementioned changes have been made public before (the music and light shows), but i've only seen that referring to different 'personalities' for the mountain and i've never seen it referred to as 'rockit mountain' (a google search on it comes up empty too).

also, i'm guessing based on pictures of the sign i've seen, they're using fiber optic technology to light it? that would make any unused wires virtually invisible.

also, what i find particularly odd is that there's a definitive shadow that comes down over the right side that effectively hides whatever part of the unused sign. the shadow seems to have no effect on the lit part, but what gets me is that half of the unused I is still visible. it's an unusual situation in both a real and photoshopped environment, however it's easily explainable in the latter.

Disneyfreak
04-06-2005, 10:34 PM
it's a little too clear actually. you would think it would show up in the other photos or would have been made mention of it much earlier than this. but it's fairly easy to confirm too if someone is at the park.

the aforementioned changes have been made public before (the music and light shows), but i've only seen that referring to different 'personalities' for the mountain and i've never seen it referred to as 'rockit mountain' (a google search on it comes up empty too).

also, i'm guessing based on pictures of the sign i've seen, they're using fiber optic technology to light it? that would make any unused wires virtually invisible.

also, what i find particularly odd is that there's a definitive shadow that comes down over the right side that effectively hides whatever part of the unused sign. the shadow seems to have no effect on the lit part, but what gets me is that half of the unused I is still visible. it's an unusual situation in both a real and photoshopped environment, however it's easily explainable in the latter.

They are almost invisible. If you noticed the picture of it was actually photoshoped and he zoomed in quite far.

SpacedOutCM
04-06-2005, 10:49 PM
The word behind space mountain can only be seen during certain parts of the day when the sun hits the sign just right. That's why you can't fully see the top of the "T"

If you follow the top line of "E" from Space to the right, you can see just a faded line that forms the top line of the "T" (in rockit), but since it's in the shadow, it doesn't show up as easily. Thats also why you can't see the top of the letter "I" because the top of the letter "I" is also the top line of the letter "E"

bradk
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
the 'invisible' O also goes below the baseline of the visible P which seems very uncharacteristic because all of the 'invisible' letters seems to share the same baseline as the visible ones and the visible O most definitely does not go lower than the baseline. in fact, none of the visible letters even so much as tempt to go below the baseline, but with the 'invisible' ones, not only does the O go below the baseline, but so does part of the R (very slightly) and part of the K.

and again, the right half of the 'invisible' I is visible in the shadow area even though the rest of the letter and every other 'invisible' letter in the shadow area is clearly cut off. To clarify, it slices through the top of the E.

just my observations. they mean nothing really. like i said, it should be easy enough to confirm in person.

and if i might be so anal to point this out as well, when the 'invisible' and visible letters share space (like the overlap of the R on the S), it looks like they are physically overlapped here when that makes no sense. it would make more sense to use the same lights from the S to form that part of the R.

SpacedOutCM
04-06-2005, 11:29 PM
The leg of the "K" dips below the base line. I think the reason why they didn't use the letter "R" folow the same lines with "S" is because Rockit would be squished in the amount of space the word SPACE takes up. They also want to everything proportionate so that's why the "R" starts before the "S".

I guess you will just have to see it in person. And once you see it in person, what then?

As far as photoshoped, the only thing that may have been done was being sharpened a bit so that people can see the rockit letters a bit more.

bradk
04-06-2005, 11:35 PM
i was referring to the segment that would be common between the R and the S, not the placement of the R itself.

and the O is clearly below the P as well.

i don't need to see it for myself to believe it. anyone can vouch for it. if it's legit, fine. i was just expressing my doubts based on what i can tell from the picture and this is the first reference to 'rockit' i've seen, as clever a name as it is. i also would think since the sign's been up for about a week, that it would have been noted before.

SoCalDude
04-06-2005, 11:41 PM

LOL - maybe they are just messing with us :p But ya - I see it, you do not even have to look hard at all. I just hope it works out better than the the new splash logs :eek:

Disneyfreak
04-07-2005, 12:08 AM
LOL - maybe they are just messing with us :p But ya - I see it, you do not even have to look hard at all. I just hope it works out better than the the new splash logs :eek:

Oh I am sure it wont be a disaster lol. I think it will be quite the opposite. I believe it will be Disneyland's finest hour when they change it to Rock It Mountain making it the first attraction to change themes from day to night. :)

Elways way
04-07-2005, 06:23 AM
Oh I am sure it wont be a disaster lol. I think it will be quite the opposite. I believe it will be Disneyland's finest hour when they change it to Rock It Mountain making it the first attraction to change themes from day to night. :)

Is this in reference to the proposed change of Pirates at night?

bradk
04-07-2005, 06:27 AM
no, this post is in reference to space mountain, which will open long before POTC goes down for the changes, real and rumored.

sdfilmcritic
04-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Sweet! Two versions of Space Mountain?

Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait. Can't wait.

disneyhound
04-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Is this in reference to the proposed change of Pirates at night?
I got that reference... ;)

olegc
04-07-2005, 08:55 AM
That is truly amazing and explains why it is taking 2 years. :)

hmm - no, I would say just because it's Rockit Mountain is not the two year window. Remember - they are installing an ENTIRE new track, new sound system, and new effects during launch and at exit back into the station. My assumption on Rockit mountain is simply the soundtrack change, and the lighting within the mountain, including any projections on the ceiling of the mountain. This, in fact, is quite simple compared to how much construction has to go on.

Disneyfreak
04-07-2005, 09:24 AM
hmm - no, I would say just because it's Rockit Mountain is not the two year window. Remember - they are installing an ENTIRE new track, new sound system, and new effects during launch and at exit back into the station. My assumption on Rockit mountain is simply the soundtrack change, and the lighting within the mountain, including any projections on the ceiling of the mountain. This, in fact, is quite simple compared to how much construction has to go on.

Not entirely true. If it is true they might have made the launch and the landing with two types for regular space and rock it making it hard. I am sure the effects are not easy to do and probably took just as long to develop and make as putting the track together. I mean they dont just pull these effects out of their hat, it takes a lot of design and tallent.

olegc
04-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Not entirely true. If it is true they might have made the launch and the landing with two types for regular space and rock it making it hard. I am sure the effects are not easy to do and probably took just as long to develop and make as putting the track together. I mean they dont just pull these effects out of their hat, it takes a lot of design and tallent.

Design is not part of construction - so that 2 year window more than likely does not include initial design. Also, they have done "shifting" rooms before - how do you think the Chamber of Destiny and the Hall of Promise are done at Temple of Forbidden Eye ? It's all lighting, changing projections on the ceiling, and a moving platform in the Chamber. So - done it once, know how to do it again (with some tweaking)...

AVP
04-09-2005, 07:21 PM
I made a point of going to Space Mountain today and looking at the sign, and I can confirm that there are two sets of fiber-optic patterns on the first line - one reads "Space" and the other reads "Rockit." I could not get a photo because it was noon and I was shooting into the sun, but it is there. It was actually pretty easy to see if you were looking, because "Mountain" was the only thing lit on the sign when I was there - "Space" was not lit until we walked by about an hour later.

AVP