PDA

View Full Version : New Thing at DL

Pages : [1] 2

Morrigoon
01-08-2002, 11:06 PM
Aside from things lost or in need of repair (no need to beat THAT dead horse again), what NEW thing would you like to see appear at DL?

For my part, it would be a cafe-style gourmet coffee location. Not just an odv stand, nor the hour-long take out line at the bakery. A real "coffee" experience.

There've been suggestions before about a hot chocolate spot in the Fantasyland Skyway station. I'd like to expand that and suggest a full-on cafe with little tables and chairs (the size of and a similar style to the coke corner ones) with a nice view of FL. They could build a nice patio/deck area for it, and I believe the hill is such that they ought to be able to do an access ramp up to it if it traverses the hill.

Other option is putting a nice coffee location in Plaza Pavilion, and move the AP stuff back to the bank on Main St. The kitchen is already there, so the need for expensive permitting and inspections would be unnecessary. And the location can't be beat for patio space and people-watching. It's already a more relaxed location, not being particularly in anyone's way. It would not compete with Plaza Inn for the dining crowd, nor with Coke Corner. Plus, if it's *just* coffee, and not food, there wouldn't be much "spoilage" to worry about either. Really it would cost them little to put in, but I think it would bring in some pretty nice profits. Plus, it's more visible than Blue Ribbon Bakery, and with the coffee crowd spread between the two, fewer guests (like myself) would be put off by long lines.

socabch
01-09-2002, 06:33 AM
FL Skyway station would be a perfect spot for a coffee house. Maybe they could put some newspapers and magazines in there so people could catch up the news of the day. It's a shame to waste the space at the station.

Didn't they used to have something on the upper level entrance to SM above the Pizza Port? I can't remember what but I think it was a food area. That would be another area for people to relax.

merlinjones
01-09-2002, 07:10 AM
The Fantasyland Skyway Chalet is the perfect locale for a coffe house/cafe. The view from up there would be marvelous!

Another location I have suggested in the past for such a thing would be creating Matterhorn Gardens: Take the backside of Tomorrowland (where the water fountains/offices are and convert the area into a chalet and Swiss garden looking out on Matterhorn Mountain. Not only would this carry though the theming better, but it would help out an eyesore area of the park (and have wonderful access from the Hub).

I prefer the Skyway area be used, though.

80S ERA
01-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
what NEW thing would you like to see appear at DL?

If we're talking about DL resort, I would like a hungry-bear style restaraunt in the Grizzly Wilderness area. I think the area is done so well that sometimes you actually think you're in a forest.

Or even a Big Thunder BBQ-style eating area would do for me.

Morrigoon
01-09-2002, 05:54 PM
That Matterhorn Gardens thing is a neat idea in its own right. That area is a bit (okay a lot) bland and there's a real break from land to land. It would still be a sudden transition, but at least one worth visiting, rather than the marvelous "back side of a building" that currently resides there.

The skyway chalet would be particularly perfect, IMHO, because it's kind of up in the trees, so not *glaringly* obvious, but being up high, has a great view of the land (I'm thinking of parents here...)

tabacco
01-09-2002, 06:04 PM
I'd like to see the old bbq/festival arena turned into an attraction. As it is, the Big Thunder Trail is kinda desolate. Besides, it'd be a chance to have another splash mountain-style thing for the train to go past.

2CN
01-09-2002, 06:37 PM
Where is the FL skyway station at?

Morrigoon
01-09-2002, 06:39 PM
just past the exit for the Casey Jr. Circus Train...up the hill

Nigel2
01-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Plus, if it's *just* coffee, and not food, there wouldn't be much "spoilage" to worry about either.
Coffee doesn't spoil but it does loose flavor very fast when exposed to air and moisture (just opening it gives you only a short time, but whole beans do give it a little extra time) Actually I was watcing "Unwraped" last night and oddly they said coffee consumption (it is still the most popular beverage) has been going down since the 80's even though there is a Starbucks on every corner, but remember most people don't want to visit DL for the coffee (you go to EPCOT for food these days, attrations seem to come seccond:D), good idea, but probably wouldn't happen.

Morrigoon
01-09-2002, 10:26 PM
I was thinking in terms of food which is usually prepared ahead of time and has to be thrown out if it's been out for more than like 1/2 hour, whereas coffee is usually produced on-the-spot. True, it doesn't last long after grinding, but it's still far better than cooked food.

Here's another idea: how about a B&tB dark ride? Something between a Snow White and a Pirates. First it could board at the beginning of a "street" with people leaning out the windows singing "bonjour!" and passing Belle reading at the fountain, then it goes into the doors of the tavern with Gaston and crowd, then it leaves the "town", and enters Beast's castle where it passes Belle's dad in the dungeon, goes up the stairs where you see beast growling at Belle's door, it passes to the other side of the door where Belle is, then enters the dining room where the plates and flatware are entertaining, then into the west wing, where things are dark and shredded and we see the glowing (fibre optic?) rose, then the ballroom where they dance, then the forest with the posse riding up. After that we see Beast hurt and Belle tells him she loves him, then everyone's "human again" at unload.

Or here's another one: Bedknobs and Broomsticks! You'd ride on a "bed" (with seatbelts, of course)... first going to the bookshops in London, with an AA of professor (what's his name?) ready to do his little magic act with the broken glass in the paper bag, then to Portobello Road with all kinds of goods on display and steel drum music in the background, then the library where the youngest (was his name Michael or something?) finds the comic book with the star of Astroroth on the back of it (and the professor is flirting with Angela Lansbury on the ladder, then under the water, into a more brightly lit, cartoony area with the fish ball, then you see the big hook coming above your head (kinda like the train in toad, way up high), the lights go out and when they come up again, you're on the island watching the "football" match, the whistle is blown, and all of a sudden everyone's chasing you down, you wind up back in England where the Nazi soldiers have taken over the house, and they do the substitutiary locomotion thing on all the stuff in the museum and win the day!
(not sure how well anything with nazi soldiers would go over at a Disney park, but I suppose if it were campy enough and only mentioned when and if ABSOLUTELY necessary to carry the story forward...) But the bed concept is a cool one, isn't it!

Nigel2
01-09-2002, 11:25 PM
You know what I notice on FL dark rides, many of them have few appearances by the Title character in them.

I think they said the most commonly pitched Dark Ride idea was for Mary Poppins, umbrellas and carousel horses.

Oh back to coffee, if it was there odds are I still wouldn't go (and I am a big cafe and coffee shop person) since I go to disneyland to relax and I don't want to go to a coffee shop to relax (which I do) from all the relaxing I do at disneyland.

Believe
01-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Hey,

I know this have maybe been all ready answered and before you start posting your "WE HAVE ALLREADY COVERED THIS BEFORE" replys, Sorry i'm only new and i havnt read all the post yet so just hang in with me please.

Ok my question is (well a few)

1. Is the FL Skyway Station still standing ??????

2. Why was the Skyway pulled down, it was an attraction that walt opened wasnt it ?

I liked the sky way too when it was there ! i was only little but i liked it :)

Thanks,

:D

Crazytigger
01-10-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by socabch

Didn't they used to have something on the upper level entrance to SM above the Pizza Port? I can't remember what but I think it was a food area. That would be another area for people to relax.

That used to be part of the arcade, but they scaled it down. I think they really could do something with that space.

gautry
01-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Believe
Hey,

I know this have maybe been all ready answered and before you start posting your "WE HAVE ALLREADY COVERED THIS BEFORE" replys, Sorry i'm only new and i havnt read all the post yet so just hang in with me please.

Ok my question is (well a few)

2. Why was the Skyway pulled down, it was an attraction that walt opened wasnt it ?

I liked the sky way too when it was there ! i was only little but i liked it :)

Thanks,

:D

sky way was pulled ouyt because of the 94 quake some of the towers come down and it woudl have cost like 14 million to have a earth quake proof sky way in 1994 walt was able to build it before the norridege fault was discovered and there were losser earth quake policy rules. the station still stands empty except for a stay ceo from time to time

9oldmen
01-10-2002, 12:15 PM
The food facility that used to be on the upper level of SM, above what is now Redd Rocket's was not part of the starcade. It was called Space Place. The service windows where located where the Fast Pass station is now. The ramp you now use to enter SM led to the upper dining level. The entrance to SM used to be a speed ramp that started in the middle of where you enter HISTA.

Nigel2
01-10-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Believe
Hey,

Well the one if FL is also gone, but Walt was a fan of change so odds are he would have pulled that attraction years back as well.

Morrigoon
01-11-2002, 01:20 AM
Or updated it.

Skyway was cool, always liked that one as a kid, you could ride over Disneyland and through the Matterhorn. Great views.

I believe (could be wrong) that Skyway, the original one (sky buckets) was part of the 1959 "new tomorrowland", along with Matterhorn and a couple other things.

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 01:26 AM
Well there isn't much you can do to update an attraction like that.

Duo Maxwell
01-11-2002, 01:45 AM
I'd like to see a juice bar in Adventureland.

Morrigoon
01-11-2002, 02:31 AM
Uhhh.....

I'm thinking of a place, surrounded by Tiki Gods, sells pineapple products.....

:)

(or did you mean a FULL juice bar?)

mousey_girl
01-11-2002, 05:13 AM
I would love to see a dark ride/coaster along the lines of the scene in Monster's Inc when they are riding the doors. It would need to be a suspension coaster, that flies through a warehouse. When we took The Boy to see that movie and saw that scene, all we could do was look at it and agree that that would make a GREAT ride. But then Pressler would have to acknowledge that Monsters are not exclusive to California and bring the characters back to DL where they belong (and we all know THAT is gonna happen :D ).

DisneylandKid
01-11-2002, 05:56 AM
There've been suggestions before about a hot chocolate spot in the Fantasyland Skyway station. I'd like to expand that and suggest a full-on cafe with little tables and chairs (the size of and a similar style to the coke corner ones) with a nice view of FL. They could build a nice patio/deck area for it, and I believe the hill is such that they ought to be able to do an access ramp up to it if it traverses the hill.I think that this location would be a *very* charming place for a coffee shop, however the only problem is that it is right across from another restaurant, the Village Haus. They would have to differentiate what the two restaurant's purposes are very greatly if they want them both to succeed. Coffee, chocolates, and maybe donuts and croissants would be a good thing for the "Fantasy Hill Coffee Shop."

Another thing I would like to see is something in the old FOF/BigThunderBBQ area... I think maybe the Western River Expedition... If not, than maybe an animatronic cowboy show telling the story of "headin' west." I still want WRE!

And then I think that they should have an underwater restaurant in the sub lagoon called "Nemo's Landing Cafe"

merlinjones
01-11-2002, 06:00 AM
I would like the Skyway Chalet to be a Coffee House and Patisserie. Wouldn't it be great to have yummy little French and Swiss deserts available, especailly in that environment? Easy to stock, you just need a refrigerated case.

Duo Maxwell
01-11-2002, 06:27 PM
Uhhh.....

I'm thinking of a place, surrounded by Tiki Gods, sells pineapple products.....

:)

(or did you mean a FULL juice bar?)

I did mean a full juice bar. One that would have a combination of juices offered regularly (orange, apple, grape, and pineapple would be some suggestions), along with several more exotic juices (mango, kiwi, papaya, et al...). They would also have an assortment of regular (always available) and exotic (rotated at random intervals) fruits, for smoothies. Basically, sorta like an Adventureland version of Jamba Juice. The fact that the bar features exotic fruits from around the world lends itself perfectly to Adventureland.

Nigel2
01-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Screw the juice bar, do a float bar like they have at the MK (in adventureland).:D