PDA

View Full Version : The long drive...

Lekta
04-06-2005, 01:43 PM
We will be leaving on Friday night at 9-10pm from Portland, Oregon and going all the way without stopping for anything other then a quick bite and some coffee. I was wondering if there was anything that you and your family did to pass the time. A game that you might play? Perhaps with a Disney twist? Last time we did the drive it was just me and my wife and we tried to name things in the park from A to Z and use that as a memory game also. However, this was to try to keep me awake more then just for fun.

Perhaps we should buy some game for the road? Any suggestions would be great!

Have a magical day!!!

wishIwasthe_Mouse
04-06-2005, 01:47 PM
sing the songs that play on the radio at the top of your lungs. and remember to dace wile you sing (safely of course)

lauramaynot
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
We also have a drive two to four hours depending on whether or not we stay the night in CA but our favorite thing to do is listen to my Disneyland CD's. You can get songs from the rides and of course disney movies. My kids love it they always know when we are about an hour away cause that is when I put the cd with "small world" "pirates" and "haunted mansion". The other bonus is that we all know all the words to almost every attraction soundtrack.

E-ORLover
04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
We will be making the same trip (except from Lynnwood,WA; and we will be stoping for an over night stay in N.CA). We have a Disney triva game and take along the questions and just ask questions. They also have the picture cards for kids so our boys can join in. Book stores also sell something called Brain Quest (http://www.brainquest.com/stuff/) another trivia thing. But that will be tough since you guys are leaving late at night (too dark to see). There are always books on tape?

Mommy2NicknMax
04-06-2005, 02:05 PM
We will be making the same trip (except from Lynnwood,WA; and we will be stoping for an over night stay in N.CA).
Hey neighbor! Us too!! The break in N. CA is much needed when traveling with two young children.

We mostly pass the time by talking. My hubby and I can talk forever. Plus we listen to music and sing a bunch too. I also like to follow the map. With each city we pass, the more excited I get. Coming back is a different story. You leave sunny CA and enter cloudy OR/WA. Blah!

Lekta
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh I HATE the return trip soooo!

E-ORLover, great idea, we never thought to check out the book store!

Laura, where oh where did you get the soundtracks on CD? I would LOVE to have them!!!

meagee
04-06-2005, 02:19 PM
We drive from Northern CA which takes us nearly 7 hours each way. I like to hunt online for trivia facts about Disneyland and then read them to everyone. That way we all learn some cool facts about DL and then we look for what we read about in the park itself.

Surfingstitch
04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Hey neighbor! Us too!! The break in N. CA is much needed when traveling with two young children.

We mostly pass the time by talking. My hubby and I can talk forever. Plus we listen to music and sing a bunch too. I also like to follow the map. With each city we pass, the more excited I get. Coming back is a different story. You leave sunny CA and enter cloudy OR/WA. Blah!

I have only driven to DL once from Lynnwood, WA. We drove the entire way in about 15 hours. Not too much fun. We left at 9pm at night and mostly everyone slept until 6am.

lauramaynot
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Laura, where oh where did you get the soundtracks on CD? I would LOVE to have them!!!

I got them in many places (even found one at walmart) but they are available here at the Mouseshoppe here is a link to my favorite

http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1630

hopefully it will work.

E-ORLover
04-06-2005, 02:51 PM

To bad I don't live closer and if you weren't leaving in two days I would copy both of them and send them to you. I have both DCA and DLR on CD. In fact the Disneyland one is in my car. My boys can't get enough of it.

Lekta
04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
To bad I don't live closer and if you weren't leaving in two days I would copy both of them and send them to you. I have both DCA and DLR on CD. In fact the Disneyland one is in my car. My boys can't get enough of it.

Where did you purchase them, might I ask? :)

EDIT: DOH! I see that Laura linked a site! Thank you. Is it available for purchase in any store you know of? Walmart perhaps?

mickeynminnie
04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
My husband and I bought a book of games that you can play in the car (a lot of memory games) and played them on our drive down. We laughed a lot. Also, play 20 questions with a Disneyland theme and encourage everyone playing to be a little obscure, really fun! :)

Surfingstitch
04-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Walmart, target or any other general merchandise store should carry disney music in the soundtrack section.

Inkman
04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
"I spy".

I spy something with my eye that is outside and is colored...

Or...

I spy something with my eye that is in the car and is colored...(whatever color).

Amazing what the kids can come up with. Outside just need to be something that can be seen for a while, not like a passed car in a moment.

Or if you took em out of school like we did last March...make em do the coming weeks homework. That'll take up alot of time.

No kids? Well.......this is a family board and i shouldn't post that kind of stuff here... :eek:

Al

E-ORLover
04-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Where did you purchase them, might I ask? :)

EDIT: DOH! I see that Laura linked a site! Thank you. Is it available for purchase in any store you know of? Walmart perhaps?

The ones I have are Theme Park Only... I have several others with songs from all the movies/shows...I have seen those @ Fred Myer, Target, Walmart
I'm sure Amazon would have them.

BarbD
04-06-2005, 05:21 PM
We do the all night thing too. We leave Everett usually about 5PM at night after work (Its about 4 hours North of Portland) and I am an early to bed person so I try to fall alseep earliest and then I wake about 3am and take over driving. This way most driving is at night. The only bummer is the day time driving is all dessert through California.

Ways we stay awake: Each of us have CDs we love to sing to. SO we do put it on and sing away. Also drinking or chewing something like Beef Jerkey helps.

I drove many years ago with our kids (From Lynnwood back then) and we did the all night thing then too. (My kids are now grown) I remember the licence plate game (Finding all the letters of the alphabet in order), I remmebr some car bingo games, then my kids also loved to follow the atlas and see where were were all the time so having a couple of them was a good idea.

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 06:57 PM
you all are brave to drive such long distances.! Dh and I thought about driving to save money, but the more we thought about it with 4 kids, and going insane on a 17 hour drive, (i think) We voted on a 2 hour flight out of portland, oregon instead. :D

serendipityaey
04-06-2005, 07:19 PM
We're driving overnight, too, in a couple of weeks from Salem, Oregon. I can't wait, long drive or not. :D

We always listen to Disney CD's when we're getting close, I love when you can first see the Grapevine, then you know you're almost there!

Last time, we brought lot's of video games, books, and crossword puzzles. We also like to play the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon game when we're waiting for anything, except with any two actors, and we've recently gone down to 3 degrees...

Disney trivia, like from the disney trivia pursuit game, is also great fun, and I believe there are 'easy' cards for the kids! Remember, road trips are fun! :D

CrazyTrain
04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
Here are some travel game sites....
http://www.momsminivan.com/
http://www.cyberparent.com/trips/games.htm
http://www.liveandlearn.com/cargame.html

These are kid oriented but maybe you'll find something to do :)

sleepyjeff
04-06-2005, 07:58 PM
Oh the Portland to OC drive.....know it well.

Fun games: Spot how many road signs have the words San or Los in front of them(this gets more fun the closer you get to So Cal.) My personal fave is Los Banos :D -----------------Another game I like is the lane game; pick a lane(you don't have to actually drive in the lane you picked, although it is more fun when you do) and see how far you go before that lane ends(you will be surprised how a far left lane on a Freeway that has 4 lanes going in each direction will eventually be the far right lane and then finally the exit only lane :eek: -------(oh, good times ;) )-------------------Then there is that game Donkey played with Shrek on their trip to Far Far Away :eek:

:D