PDA

View Full Version : Am I a "cheap" mom? DL gifts

Pages : [1] 2

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:11 AM
I have been buying DL t-shirts, pull overs, pj's, shorts, etc online, (disneydeals.com) to help with the cost of souveniors for my children, I have 4 kids and they are each going to be giving a spending allowence of $150pp while we are on vacation, so I've been trying to help them out with some of the expense of buying clothing. we are going to DLR for 5 days, 1 day Seaworld, 1 day Universal. They don't know that I have been buying this stuff for them and I was wondering/thinking if the DLR will help me out with a little situation. Do you think If I send the items to the hotel b4 we go that they can have them in the room wraped as gifts for a special suprise to the kids when we arrive? has anyone ever done this b4? I would appreciate any suggestions to giving these items to the kids.
TIA :)

MammaSilva
04-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I would wrap the gifts myself, sneak the packages in my luggage and then just distract the kids by having one parent take them to the lobby or pool area and then put the gifts on their beds.....DLR has a vacation planning, shopping service so I don't see them being helpful in allowing you to NOT use their very convienant but very expensive service. But that's just my .02

bradk
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
i don't think you're doing anything wrong by buying things outside the park to curtail expenses. it's a really good idea (which is why I would also recommend visiting the disney character warehouse before the park if you have a couple of hours to spare, since that's mostly theme park merchandise at significant savings).

not sure how much assistance the hotel can be in that respect. depends on where you're staying and whatnot. what you can probably do at the very least is ship everything ahead to your attention and have the hotel hold it for you, but you'll have to contact them first directly anyway to confirm all that.

Terri
04-06-2005, 09:16 AM
What a great idea! I'm currently buying t-shirts, hats and pins over the internet for a lot of the same reason. I also contacted the DLH about baskets. I'm still at the planning stage, but it never dawned on me to send things down there...I'd be interested in seeing what you find out. I have an email address for someone at the hotel...John.L.Walsh@disney.com - he's in vacation planning and sounds very helpful. Email him and see what you find!
:p

CoasterChickie
04-06-2005, 09:20 AM
I don't think you're cheap at all. In fact, you sound very generous.

I'm like you in that I usually buy Disney clothing on sale before my trip so that I won't have to pay the hiked up prices in the park. (I did, however, break down and buy my daughter and I t-shirts at the World of Disney...$26 each :eek: )

I like MammaSilva's idea of having your hubby sneak up to the room beforehand to leave the presents....I also have 4 kids and we have to save money wherever we can, especially since the food and drinks for a big family can add up quickly at the resort!

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I hear you on that one, the expense of food, beverages etc....how do you keep cost down on meals when you go? how old are your kids? mine are 4,4,7,8. I pretty much plan on sharing meals if at all possible, but I have to draw the line at sharing "mickey" nuggets with my daughters, I hate chicken nuggets. lol
any helpful advise would be greatly appreciated, where do you dine? we are doing goofy's kitchen 1 night for dinner as a splurge.

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:28 AM
What a great idea! I'm currently buying t-shirts, hats and pins over the internet for a lot of the same reason. I also contacted the DLH about baskets. I'm still at the planning stage, but it never dawned on me to send things down there...I'd be interested in seeing what you find out. I have an email address for someone at the hotel...John.L.Walsh@disney.com - he's in vacation planning and sounds very helpful. Email him and see what you find!
:p
thanks I will contact him now and let you know what I find out...if there is such a service as sending and having them prep b-4 hand, and you use it, let me know how it works out...talk to you soon

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:29 AM
i don't think you're doing anything wrong by buying things outside the park to curtail expenses. it's a really good idea (which is why I would also recommend visiting the disney character warehouse before the park if you have a couple of hours to spare, since that's mostly theme park merchandise at significant savings).

not sure how much assistance the hotel can be in that respect. depends on where you're staying and whatnot. what you can probably do at the very least is ship everything ahead to your attention and have the hotel hold it for you, but you'll have to contact them first directly anyway to confirm all that.
I saw on here that there was a wearhouse, and coupons also for it. does anyone have that information still?

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
04-06-2005, 09:29 AM
I bought personalized sweatshirts, fleece throws and t-shirts online before our January trip to Disneyland. We had adjoining rooms at the GC with my Mom, so I put everything in our room while the three DDs were in Grandma's room. They were thrilled and surprised, but at 5, 3 and 1 1/2 they aren't too hard to please. I think it makes a lot of sense to get things ahead of time! I paid only $8.99 at disneydirect for the most darling princess sweatshirts monogrammed with their names and when the three DDs were wearing them in the park I must've had twenty people compliment them and ask me where in the park they could get them. The ones in the park weren't as cute and they were $26! I say, save all you can!

CoasterChickie
04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
If you're staying in a hotel off site try to find one that includes breakfast and make sure the kids eat a lot!!! Then you might be able to get away with just a snack in the middle of the day and an early dinner. Be sure to take your own bottled water and soda with you..the drinks are what add up the fastest!!

If you're staying at one of the DLR hotels, I highly recommend eating breakfast at the Whitewater Cafe. It's about $5.00 per person, very good , and very filling.

I'm so glad to hear you're going to Goofy's Kitchen for dinner rather than breakfast. I think dinner is a much better deal for about the same amount of money. I also like Ariel's Grotto ...adults are $21 and kids are $14 and the meals include soup or salad, entree, dessert and drink.

I think if you eat at any of the restaurants throughout the park , sharing any adult meal between two kids will be plenty of food.

Just remember to bring your own drinks!!! :)

figmentspark
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't say so. My mom's been doing this for our WDW vacation. She's been shopping on Disney deals and telling my step-father and me that we can't look inside of the Disney Deals boxes and we will find out when we get there. I think it's a great idea and I'm anticipating our Disney World vacation even more (if that's possible) now. :)

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
If you're staying in a hotel off site try to find one that includes breakfast and make sure the kids eat a lot!!! Then you might be able to get away with just a snack in the middle of the day and an early dinner. Be sure to take your own bottled water and soda with you..the drinks are what add up the fastest!!

If you're staying at one of the DLR hotels, I highly recommend eating breakfast at the Whitewater Cafe. It's about $5.00 per person, very good , and very filling.

I'm so glad to hear you're going to Goofy's Kitchen for dinner rather than breakfast. I think dinner is a much better deal for about the same amount of money. I also like Ariel's Grotto ...adults are $21 and kids are $14 and the meals include soup or salad, entree, dessert and drink.

I think if you eat at any of the restaurants throughout the park , sharing any adult meal between two kids will be plenty of food.

Just remember to bring your own drinks!!! :)
We are staying at the DH and I was thinking of upgrading to consierge service for 125.00 a day, if I break it down thats about $19pp and i figure I probably would spend that much in water/drinks pp in the park(s) throughout the day, that way we could visit the lounge, have a cont. break, and grab all the water and soda we will need for the morning, take a snack break there at the hotel, swim, and grab more water from the consierge lounge.

topmouse
04-06-2005, 09:52 AM
I would wrap the gifts myself, sneak the packages in my luggage and then just distract the kids by having one parent take them to the lobby or pool area and then put the gifts on their beds.....DLR has a vacation planning, shopping service so I don't see them being helpful in allowing you to NOT use their very convienant but very expensive service. But that's just my .02

If you are flying, don't wrap them because the airlines will open them.

Later in this thread, Whitewater Cafe is mentioned. Where is it located?

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
thanks for the wraping advise, it totally slipped my mind..lol. white water cafe is in CGH.

bradk
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
I saw on here that there was a wearhouse, and coupons also for it. does anyone have that information still?

the address is:

Orangefair Mall
243 Orangefair Mall
Fullerton, CA 92832
714-870-9363

posted hours are: Mon-Sat, 10-9. Sun 10-7

coupon: http://www.thechamber.net/cgi-bin/foxweb.dll/wlx/dir/wlxcpn?ec=lbyklLsiprtbx4mpmc&ID=HNDgKiGb

although those who have visited the temporary stores around the country have reported being able to get a 20% off coupon. not sure if anyone's shared those yet tho.

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
the address is:

Orangefair Mall
243 Orangefair Mall
Fullerton, CA 92832
714-870-9363

posted hours are: Mon-Sat, 10-9. Sun 10-7

coupon: http://www.thechamber.net/cgi-bin/foxweb.dll/wlx/dir/wlxcpn?ec=lbyklLsiprtbx4mpmc&ID=HNDgKiGb

although those who have visited the temporary stores around the country have reported being able to get a 20% off coupon. not sure if anyone's shared those yet tho. :)

rentayenta
04-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi. Forgive me if this is too long but I have some $$ saving tips to share:

The French Market in NOS has a fried chicken meal that comes with 3 pieces of chicken, mashed potatoes or fries, a roll, and a salad. My three kids (3, 6, 8) share this easily.

Taste Pilots Grill in DCA has a child's chicken finger meal that comes with a ton of fries and 4 pieces of chicken. Enough for two kids. Their salads are also big. I like to share one of these with my oldest DD.

The pizza and pasta and Redd Rocket's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland sells huge portions. We feed our family of 5, well I might add, with a pasta, salad, and a slice of pizza.

The corndogs are big and can easliy be shared between 2 children.

The caramel apples, Rice Krispie treats, and the like are also easily sharable.

Popcorn and a soda count as meal inside Disneyland :D

We checked out The Character Warehouse on our last trip. This is a hit or miss sorta place. I wouldn't leave Disneyland to go there again. I might stop by before arriving.

DisneyDirect.com has great deals. We will be at DL again this December. My kidlets are loving The Nightmare Before Christmas and I found Jack and Sally stockings (nice ones) for $9.99 each. I plan on having them open them when are there in December.

Target and Kohl's sell some cute Disney items. I got my girls Mickey coin purses for $5.

Karen256
04-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Just wanted to say that I don't think you're cheap at all!! I have three sisters and we're all close in age, and a splurge for our family was buying two happy meals at McD's for us all to share.

The only thing I might add to RentaYenta's list above is that the Bengal BBQ in AdventureLand has very tasty beef, chicken or veggie skewers for a very reasonable price (maybe $2-3).

We usually ate some breakfast at the hotel, brought some snacks to tide us over through the morning, had a late lunch around 2 or 3 pm, than did a small snack such as the skewers or a corn dog in the evening. That way you are only buying one main meal in the park. We had a lot of snacks and drinks in our bags and had absolutely no problems going through bag check.

You're taking your family to Disneyland!! They'll have such wonderful memories, and that's what really matters.

04-06-2005, 11:20 AM
they are each going to be giving a spending allowence of $150pp

That's generous.

SCUBAbe
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
That's generous.

I agree...my kid is lucky to get $20.00 a day to spend....when I was little I would always get a small stuffed animal, btu that was it. One time I got a balloon also. I was so sad when it died...:(

ima_mickeyfan
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
thanks I just want them to have the best time and lots of wonderful memories, so i figure if i stress out at home about this stuff, i can leave all my worries behind once we head to the airport. lol
I know my kids will have a great time my dd's are asking everyday, are we going to dl tomorrow..??? poor things, I'm afraid they will get discouraged and figure the trip will never come.

MammaSilva
04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Another note to add....at the French Market if you get the chicken dinner, not the kids meal, if you ask for all legs, you get six pieces of chicken instead of 3....that with an extra order of French Fries should feed 3 little ones easily...

rentayenta
04-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Another note to add....at the French Market if you get the chicken dinner, not the kids meal, if you ask for all legs, you get six pieces of chicken instead of 3....that with an extra order of French Fries should feed 3 little ones easily...

That's great! My kids always fight over the legs.

tinafromidaho
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Mammasilva, that is a great tip about the french market, that would feed my two boys and they will be 11 and 13 when we get there in October.

Rentayenta, noone would ever complain about any money saving messages being to long.

mowsluver
04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Though they are not quite gifts, we will be buying those glow sticks/necklaces/bracelets from the dollar store before we go to give to the little one during the evening. They are $1 for a can of 15. Sure beats paying the :D price in the park!!