PDA

View Full Version : HOJO vs DLH-How far from DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

Carter's Mommy
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
We are planning a trip in Oct with our 3 year old, our (then) 3 month old and my mom and dad, who has multiple sclerosis. Needless to say, we will be heading back to the hotel for naps at least once a day. How much closer is DLH? Is it worth $205/night vs $55/night? We usually stay at the PPH but are worried about being close to DLR, but love the whole "on-site experience". We are thinking about 3 nights if we stay at the Hojo but will probably only be able to do 2 nights at DLH. Any advice would be appreciated as we have never stayed at the Hojo! If only we had unlimited funds!!

Hakuna Makarla
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
DLH is a good choice, its all to far in my opinion, i as pooped and I mean pooped! but I went thru the grand californian when I stayed at the paradise pier and loved the fact I could go right into the park thru the grand californian. But alas I got lost the last night and ended at a parking structure. I am so lost when I am tired!

SCUBAbe
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
hojo's is quite a walk, but it's a nice hotel...any enchanted race people care to explain the distance to HOJO's from the park? If you use the monorail from DL the DLH would be closer...I think?..if walking through DTD is may be the same distance...

adriennek
04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm sure there are many MouseAdventure Invitational teams who can tell you EXACTLY how far the Hojos is from DLR AND the DLH. :~D Ok, come on people, I can't be the only one giggling?

The Hojo is about a 15 minute walk. I haven't been a fan of that distance in the past, I'll be honest. But for $55 a night, I think you'll be pretty happy there. I'm not a fan of the DLH. I think that the Hojos rooms are very comprable to the rooms I've stayed in at DLH, frankly, based on the room we used for MouseAdventure. The DLH rooms MIGHT be a little bigger but I wouldn't call them $150 nicer or $150 closer.

Adrienne

Darkbeer
04-05-2005, 02:36 PM
HoJo's, Candy Cane Inn and Paradise Pier are all about the same distance walking, about 3/4 of a mile...

But you can take shuttle service from HoJo's and Candy Cane Inn, unlike Paradise Pier, where the only option is to walk...

Depending on which tower you are staying at in the DLH, it can be almost the same length as the Paradise Pier (I forget the name of the South Tower of the DLH), and even the closest (I believe Sierra) is over a 1/2 mile walk...

If you are thinking about get a wheelchair at the park, maybe you should check into renting from an outside service, it is cheaper, and then you can use the chair going to and from the hotel.....

I would go for HoJo's and the extra day... FYI, all ART shuttles are wheelchair accessable...

Carter's Mommy
04-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am not sure if we are setting ourselves up for disaster or bliss with this "whole family" trip. One thing is for sure, we will be moving at a slower pace which might make 3 days in the park a lot smarter than 2 days.

SCUBAbe
04-05-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm sure there are many MouseAdventure Invitational teams who can tell you EXACTLY how far the Hojos is from DLR AND the DLH. :~D Ok, come on people, I can't be the only one giggling?

no...I'm giggling too...:)

AVP
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm sure there are many MouseAdventure Invitational teams who can tell you EXACTLY how far the Hojos is from DLR AND the DLH. :~D Ok, come on people, I can't be the only one giggling? More like laughing my butt off, and I can't understand why there aren't 80+ replies to this thread!

Ok, to answer the question, I'd pick HoJos if it means you can stay another day.

AVP

bradk
04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
if you care about the disney ambiance, DLH. if you care about good value, hojo.

there are hotels on harbor that are closer than DLH so it's not that big of a difference in terms of walking.

Hakuna Makarla
04-05-2005, 04:36 PM
HoJo's, Candy Cane Inn and Paradise Pier are all about the same distance walking, about 3/4 of a mile...

But you can take shuttle service from HoJo's and Candy Cane Inn, unlike Paradise Pier, where the only option is to walk...

Depending on which tower you are staying at in the DLH, it can be almost the same length as the Paradise Pier (I forget the name of the South Tower of the DLH), and even the closest (I believe Sierra) is over a 1/2 mile walk...

If you are thinking about get a wheelchair at the park, maybe you should check into renting from an outside service, it is cheaper, and then you can use the chair going to and from the hotel.....

I would go for HoJo's and the extra day... FYI, all ART shuttles are wheelchair accessable...

LOL! and if you are like me and got lost you will walk a lot further. I was so tired Sunday night I followed people out and beyond ( no brains I swear) and I walked about 45 minutes out of my way. I was so exausted I wanted to cry ha ha ha, yeah stay on harbor, and across the street!! I would ( to late now but yeah, hojo to far, DLH to far, and paradise pier way to far!!!!!!

munchkinsmom0003
04-05-2005, 05:33 PM

We've taken the ART and the Hojo shuttle ("B" Line) does not get as crowded as some of the other routes. Very convenient and not much of a wait. When you stay at the HOJO's, you're the first to get on the ART shuttle and the first to be dropped off (right in front of the hotel). We've stayed at both DLR and Hojo and it's not worth the extra cash, IMO, although some may disagree with me. I also suggest to stay the Hojo's so you can have that extra day at the DLR and use the ART ($3.00/day). We use this hotel everytime we go and have never been disappointed.

SCUBAbe
04-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't know if this will be helpful, but here's an image (http://pixiepics.net/dl/hotels.jpg)showing the DL hotels and hojo's. the yellow lines show the walking to get to the park. PPH can cut through GCH. :).. it is less of a walk from DLH if you use the monorail..:)

bradk
04-06-2005, 03:35 PM
that does depend on how busy the monorail happens to be. during the rush, it's been said to take just as long as walking would.

SCUBAbe
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
that does depend on how busy the monorail happens to be. during the rush, it's been said to take just as long as walking would.

I suppose. When we stayed at the pph we walked to the gates of DL saw the lines and walked back to the monorail. We got right on..:)

mkcbunny
04-06-2005, 07:31 PM
Can anyone recommend the best way to get from the HoJo to John Wayne? I have read all the threads about getting from the airport to the hotel, and I've come from the airport to DLR before. But I'm not sure how to plan for our return home. We used to always book the Super Shuttle both ways, but we will probably take a cab from the airport [just to get there asap]. I'm not sure if a cab back to the airport is best, as well, or if there's a bus-type solution that's cheaper and easy. There are two of us, FYI.

mkcbunny
04-06-2005, 07:38 PM
LOL! and if you are like me and got lost you will walk a lot further. I was so tired Sunday night I followed people out and beyond ( no brains I swear) and I walked about 45 minutes out of my way. I was so exausted I wanted to cry ha ha ha, yeah stay on harbor, and across the street!! I would ( to late now but yeah, hojo to far, DLH to far, and paradise pier way to far!!!!!!

Nothing beats the first time my friend and I went to Disneyland as adults. This was about 6-7 years ago. DCA wasn't yet built, and Downtown Disney wasn't there. We were at the Hilton, by the convention center, and all there was between us and Disneyland was parking, a few hotels, and some empty lots. We could see Disneyland from our room window, so we thought we could walk back "home" at lunch for a swim and a break. It was about 90 degrees out, and we for some reason thought we could take a "short cut" the "back way," -- basically where Downtown Disney is now, heading in that direction. It seemed obvious, but at one point, there weren't even sidewalks, just scrubby terrain and chain-link fences. We kept our hotel in view, but the road was curved ... anyway, 30 hot, sweaty minutes later, we arrived at the Hilton. Never did that again!!! We still laugh about it. We have since walked that far, but we always stay on the main roads.... which takes about half the time!

cstephens
04-06-2005, 09:57 PM
I think this should be the new answer in #4 of sediment's sig.

bradk
04-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Can anyone recommend the best way to get from the HoJo to John Wayne?

supershuttle should be just fine. unless you have a reason for not wanting to use it again.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
supershuttle should be just fine. unless you have a reason for not wanting to use it again.

Nope. It's fine for going back. The threads just got me "thinking," which may be a bad thing. :) I decided to try the cab from the airport because when you arrive, you just want to get to your hotel. It's my husband's first time, and I think he'll get impatient with the numerous dropoffs the shuttle does. When we go home, it won't matter if we have pick-up stops to make on the way.

bradk
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
right, cab is best when going to DL because it helps get you in the right mood. you travel by yourself, you leave when you want to leave (as opposed to when the van fills up) and so you get there as soon as possible.

i'm assuming the trip to the airport is less of a celebration so the shuttle is probably a better choice, plus they should be full on aware as to what time you'll have to leave to make it to the airport on time.

rentayenta
04-07-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't know if this will be helpful, but here's an image (http://pixiepics.net/dl/hotels.jpg)showing the DL hotels and hojo's. the yellow lines show the walking to get to the park. PPH can cut through GCH. :).. it is less of a walk from DLH if you use the monorail..:)

Thanks SCUBAbe! That helps a ton. Part of enjoying the walk, for me, is the scenery. Walking through DTD and past the DLH to get to the PPH is more enjoyable than walking down Harbor to HoJos.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 11:55 AM
i'm assuming the trip to the airport is less of a celebration ...

LOL. I'll say. Who wants to go home?! And yeah, it's nice to have the responsibility of plannning when to leave for the airport taken on by someone else.

mkcbunny
04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
I read there was a big grocery store further down the road [away from DLR] up near the HoJo. On the other side of the highway. Is it walkable from the HoJo? [Both in terms of distance and safety - dunno if pedestrians can go that way.]

Darkbeer
04-07-2005, 12:08 PM

There are problems with your paths...

First off, you can't walk on Disneyland Drive from the PPH to Downtown Disney. No sidewalks, and the roadway goes underneath DtD, and doesn't some back to street level until you get to Magic Way.

To get to Downtown Disney from the PPH (avoiding the GCH), you actually have to walk a bit west to the roadway between the DLH (Sierra Tower) and Downtown Disney (the AMC Theater building, then head east to the Main Entry Plaza. Basically joining the DLH pathway by the ESPN Zone building.

And the pathway from the PPH thru the GCH, the entrance to the Downtown Disney area from the GCH is where the "GCH" and arrow is located in the photo. The entrance to the GCH is next to the Club Libby Lu/Sephora shops in DtD. The quickest way (when there is no private parties/weddings) is to walk thru the courtyard. You end up by the main elevators in the lobby area. Otherwise, you need to walk along side of the Convention area to the Lobby. So a bit of a savings, but still about the same distance as from the HoJo's.

Darkbeer
04-07-2005, 12:11 PM
I read there was a big grocery store further down the road [away from DLR] up near the HoJo. On the other side of the highway. Is it walkable from the HoJo? [Both in terms of distance and safety - dunno if pedestrians can go that way.]

The nearest full service grocery store is the Food 4 Less (run by Krogers/Ralphs) on Katella, about 1 mile west of the DLH.

There is a VONS (run by Safeway) north of the HoJo's, but farther away, I would say almost twice as far....