PDA

View Full Version : 50th TV advertising blitz!

Pages : [1] 2

D-lander 1956
04-04-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure about the rest of the country, but here in SoCal, ABC has been airing a ton of new 50th anniversary commercials. Seems they are shown about every 30 minutes and star all our favorite 3D animated characters. The countdown blitz is on! :D

SCUBAbe
04-04-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't like the goofu one. They tried to make himm 3D and he doesn't look quite "finished" to me.

DangerMouse
04-04-2005, 09:06 AM
We're getting bombarded with ads here in AZ as well. Although an awful lot of them are for DW! I saw one last night that said DW was having special "Magic hours" with the parks opening 1 hour early and staying open 2 hours later, I'm sure just for those who reserve their packages through Disney Vacations.

I like the commercials, overall, but man I am not looking forward to the crowds they are going to draw to DLR!

disneyhound
04-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Up in the PNW we have only seen one commercial about the 50th, and it was for for WDW; the one where they take Soarin to Florida and other attractions from Disney parks around the world. Been dissapointed so far, nothing about DL... :crying:

bradk
04-04-2005, 09:10 AM
there's one running quite often in the NYC metro area, but it's strictly for WDW and announces all the new things the park is getting to celebrate. it opens up with one of the 3d characters pondering about a place they can go for whatever reason and another points out they can do it all right at home or some garbage like that.

it is really bad CG though. i would think in light of twice upon a christmas, they could do a better job for 10 seconds of on camera work.

SCUBAbe
04-04-2005, 09:12 AM
it is really bad CG though. i would think in light of twice upon a christmas, they could do a better job for 10 seconds of on camera work.

I agree the CG was horrible on the oone I saw also. I don't even know what park it was for..LOL..but maybe WDW can handle more guests thatn DL so the concentarte on that park....more guests=more money for the company...

ima_mickeyfan
04-04-2005, 09:13 AM
the only ads i keep seeing are with mickey, goofy, etc. about wishing on a star. and that is for wdw...I don't ever see any for DLR adn I live in oregon. I did see 1 other 1 along time ago, with stitch on a motorcycle, but that is all. I would love to see them all.

SCUBAbe
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
the only ads i keep seeing are with mickey, goofy, etc. about wishing on a star. and that is for wdw...I don't ever see any for DLR adn I live in oregon. I did see 1 other 1 along time ago, with stitch on a motorcycle, but that is all. I would love to see them all.

the one I saw was of goofy (poorly done CG) walking around clumsy and they he finds a box that says don't open until the 50th...he opens it stuff flys out...and thats all I remember...:)

bradk
04-04-2005, 09:17 AM
well, as far as NY is concerned, yes, WDW is far more popular than DL would be. There's really no reason unless you're a true fanatic to go to DL. As it is most people often even get the names confused.

But like I've said here before, not in defense of disney, but I'm personally glad WDW is receiving most of the focus, if only because it'll bring the tourists over there and not where I'll be in May. I understand locals being insulted that DLR is sort of being overlooked and being taken advantage of in a sense, but if I were a local, I think I'd be happier about it because it'd mean less people in the park for me.

mystycalchyk
04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
I really dont like the CG characters. They look 'fake' to me.

I know I know that makes no sense, but it does in my mind. :rolleyes:

Mommy2NicknMax
04-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Here in the Seattle area I've seen them all so far. They were playing the one with Goofy which is a commercial for DL. But now they are showing the one with the 3 of them wishing for new attractions and that one is for WDW. We get a mix here.

PapiBear
04-04-2005, 09:57 AM
They've been running 50th Anniversary commercials centered on WDW down here in Texas too, but it sounds like pretty much the same ad as California.

I agree, the CG sucks. The classic characters in CG form is a BAD IDEA.

Opus1guy
04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Now you know where all your new attraction money went: To Marketing.

neuhickman79
04-04-2005, 11:26 AM
I live in Wisconsin and we've only had the one for Florida. What a crock!?!?!?

karl
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
the one I saw was of goofy (poorly done CG) walking around clumsy and they he finds a box that says don't open until the 50th...he opens it stuff flys out...and thats all I remember...:)

I've seen that one enough times to note that next to the box is a framed image of Walt walking through the Castle.

Mermaid
04-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Yeah, they are showing a bunch here in AZ. The one that they have been showing for a while where the characters come from all over plays a lot. I was thinking though, Stitch is riding a motorcycle through the desert, wouldn't he be coming from Hawaii? I mean the Genie comes out of the pyramid. My BF says I am thinking about it too much!!

TrekkieDad
04-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Here in NorCal, most of the commercials are for DLR, but an occasional WDW one gets through--probably on cable channels.

Disney Vault
04-04-2005, 02:39 PM
Here in the Seattle area I've seen them all so far. They were playing the one with Goofy which is a commercial for DL. But now they are showing the one with the 3 of them wishing for new attractions and that one is for WDW. We get a mix here.
I love how we get both of them. And I can't believe they haven't been put on the WDW or DL website yet like the other commercials.

Captain Josh
04-04-2005, 02:42 PM
There is something...unnatural about Goofy in this CG incarnation. I wouldn't even go so far as to say it looks unfinished, because I can easily assume they are going with a more simplistic computer model look...but with that look, the physics of Goofy seem off. His "jowls" are rather....jello-ish. Every little bit of him is bouncing independently. It's not natural.

Tigertail777
04-04-2005, 02:49 PM
I also live in Oregon, and havnt seen any ads yet. Its odd, we were just absolutely bombarded with DCA advertising in about every form possible: newspapers, radio, tv... but havnt seen anything for the 50th yet.

Uncle Remus
04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I also live in Oregon, and havnt seen any ads yet. Its odd, we were just absolutely bombarded with DCA advertising in about every form possible: newspapers, radio, tv... but havnt seen anything for the 50th yet.
Not to change the subject too much but from the people from oregon, where exactly do you live? I live in Clackamas. Oh and the commercials are icky, 2D commercials with live action backgrounds would be much better.

Disney Vault
04-04-2005, 03:43 PM
I think a neat feature for the vacation planning dvd would be to have all the recent DL commercials on it.

uvsc_wolverine
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
We're seeing the DL and WDW commercials in Utah (a lot!). They seem to be running on just about every channel since I don't watch ABC much.

disneygurl92
04-04-2005, 07:04 PM
i've seen only 2 different comercials. one is for disneyland and the other for wdw.

Tigertail777
04-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Uncle Remus, I live at the foot of the Hood. :D