PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Question (HoJo v. The Castle)

Lekta
04-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Ok, so we leave in less then one week :D So I decided to do a little hotel shopping to see if we could get a last minute great rate. As it stands now, we have the HoJo booked for April 10-15 for $76/nt. which isn't such a bad deal, considering rooms there are now going for over $100/nt. At any rate I found a EXCEPTIONAL rate at Castle Inn, which appears to be just down the road and nearly the same distance from park entrance. It would be a savings of about $30/nt. In your, more or less, professional opinion, should we make the switch? Is it that far from entrance? I thought that i recall it being a long way to Castle Inn, but, from the looks of the map, it is fairly close. Would I be crazy to not pull the trigger on this??

BTW, we also decided to leave Friday night so we are now going from 4/9-15! Decided that with our 5 day passes, if we went to USH one day, we wouldn't get the full use of our 5 dayer's. So i brilliantly planned for us to leave the night before and drive through the night. Now we will fully be able to enjoy DL at night for 2 of our days there!

As always, thank you all kindly and have yourselves a magical day!

tlovesdis
04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Ho Jo is much closer and I have heard nothing but terrible things about the Castle. I would just stay where you are. I have never stayed at Ho Jo's, but everyone who has seems to love it there!

DangerMouse
04-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I would stick with the HoJo. The Castle is a pit! Filthy floors, nasty bathrooms. I wouldn't stay there if you paid me. If you want to read other's opinions, check out tripadvisor.com.

Enjoy your extended trip!

Lekta
04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Gosh, there surely are some bad reviews, but there are some great reviews too... now i'm torn. We could really use the savings and we are certainly going to have to stay at the Castle Inn at least for Saturday night, as our HoJo res's aren't until Sunday and we won't be paying them $100/nt to get that extra day.

Our stay at HoJo for 10-15 = $378.25 + tax, add in 45/nt for 9th = 423.25
Our stay at Castle Inn 9-15 = $270.66 + tax

And the reviews on this board are 3.5/5 stars, not too bad. Certainly can do no worse then The Alamo, check my review on that =)

BAH! I cannot decide for the life of me. That extra $200 would be great to have though.

Lekta
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Dangermouse, have you ever stayed there yourself?

BTW- used to LOVE watching DangerMouse!

fnatic4themagic
04-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about the castle in..

uvsc_wolverine
04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
I stayed at the Castle Inn last October and I thought it was fine. It wasn't anything overly impressive (breakfast would have been nice), but I thought it was fine. The walk isn't too far, it only took 5-10 minutes to get there. I found it to be fairly clean and well-kept (the swimming pool sucked, but that didn't bother me).

disneymania
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
My husband and I stayed there two years ago. It was very clean, had a fridge and a microwave, and was only a 7-10 min walk. If you're looking to save money, I'd say book it. It's not the best I've stayed at, but I liked it as much as the Tropicana (though not for distance).

rentayenta
04-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Ho Jo is much closer and I have heard nothing but terrible things about the Castle. I would just stay where you are. I have never stayed at Ho Jo's, but everyone who has seems to love it there!

What Tina said.

Lekta
04-03-2005, 05:24 PM
So my memory serves me well in thinking that it is a fairly long walk to the park? It is fairly close to the convention center then? HoJo is MUCH closer?

Thank you all kindly!

munchkinsmom0003
04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
So my memory serves me well in thinking that it is a fairly long walk to the park? It is fairly close to the convention center then? HoJo is MUCH closer?

Thank you all kindly!

I've stayed at both places. I like them both, but I have to say that I prefer the HOJO if I had a choice. Castle Inn is closer to the Convention Center (South of DLR) and the HOJO is on the North side of the DLR. Actually, it's more parallel to the Matterhorn...you can it from some of the hotel windows.

Both are equal walking distance to the entrance of the DLR, IMO. With stroller in tow, it takes our family about 10 minutes to walk to the park.

I remember someone posting a link to a site that had a real picture map of the DLR and the surrounding areas with all the hotels pointed out. Does anyone have the link to that?

bradk
04-03-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

it's old, but has both on it.