PDA

View Full Version : Golden Horseshoe Revue

Pages : [1] 2

Terri
04-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Is it true? Are they bringing back the original show for the 50th anniversary? I would LOVE to see the original! My DS snoozed through Billy Hill, so he doesn't want to see it this time. I kept telling him about the original show and how we'd get there early and run for one of the stage boxes or the front row! Wow...that'd be cool to see again... :fez:

sdfilmcritic
04-02-2005, 09:18 AM
I haven't heard anything about bringing the old show back. If they do I wonder what they would do with Billy Hill.

Doodle Duck
04-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Somebody has to wear the Buck Teeth!

Wendi
04-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Yep, that's the rumor... not only that, but supposedly they will have the original cast performing on July 17th. I can't wait to see this show on May 5th though, it was an old family tradition to take in the Golden Horseshoe Revue on each of our trips - I even picked to go on stage many times (hey, someone had to knock that guy's teeth out!)

sunfun94
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
When did they take the original show out? I dont know that I remember it...

Opus1guy
04-02-2005, 05:27 PM
Yep, that's the rumor... not only that, but supposedly they will have the original cast performing on July 17th.

Well...my memory may be wrong, but I seem to recall the original July 17th cast was Wally Boag, Betty Taylor and a gentleman I believe named Donald Novice? And I don't believe he's with us any longer? Could be wrong on that though.

Although what most of us think of as the "original cast" are Wally, Betty and Fulton Burley. All of whom are still alive and kicking as far as I know. Last time I saw Wally he wasn't too sprite in his step. :( So I'm not sure he could do the whole shtick any longer. Maybe it was just a bad time medically for him. But those stage performers are real troupers! I wouldn't be surprised one bit that Wally could still pull off a performance or three! :)

PapiBear
04-02-2005, 05:44 PM
I would dearly love to have the Golden Horseshoe Revue come back, even if it featured a new cast playing the same beloved characters.

BTW, what is a "DS"?

Mark Goldhaber
04-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Well...my memory may be wrong, but I seem to recall the original July 17th cast was Wally Boag, Betty Taylor and a gentleman I believe named Donald Novice? And I don't believe he's with us any longer? Could be wrong on that though.

Although what most of us think of as the "original cast" are Wally, Betty and Fulton Burley. All of whom are still alive and kicking as far as I know. Last time I saw Wally he wasn't too sprite in his step. :( So I'm not sure he could do the whole shtick any longer. Maybe it was just a bad time medically for him. But those stage performers are real troupers! I wouldn't be surprised one bit that Wally could still pull off a performance or three! :)
Original cast was Wally Boag, Judy Marsh and Don Novis. Betty Taylor replaced Marsh in early 1956 after eight months (due to Marsh's conduct unbecoming a cast member), and Fulton Burley didn't replace Novis until 1962. (A big thanks to David Koenig's Mouse Tales for the info.)

Opus1guy
04-02-2005, 07:16 PM
Original cast was Wally Boag, Judy Marsh and Don Novis. Betty Taylor replaced Marsh in early 1956 after eight months (due to Marsh's conduct unbecoming a cast member), and Fulton Burley didn't replace Novis until 1962. (A big thanks to David Koenig's Mouse Tales for the info.)

Thanks! Glad I wasn't dreaming it all up! :)

I had visions of someone other than Betty too, but really wasn't as sure about that as about Fulton. And yes...now that my memory has been jogged, I do remember something sort or scandalous or at least controversial about March's departure now. Can't for the life of me recall exactly what it was though.

But since Betty joined the cast within the first year of Disneyland's operations, I think we can at least call her a Charter member of the cast! ;)

Mark Goldhaber
04-02-2005, 07:32 PM
And yes...now that my memory has been jogged, I do remember something sort or scandalous or at least controversial about March's departure now. Can't for the life of me recall exactly what it was though.
According to Mouse Tales:

Miss Marsh, according to Harvey Johnson, "lasted just eight months. She was a young Hollywood type, who had guys hanging at her stage door every day. The rumor was her boyfriend had tried to commit suicide in her apartment, so she was fired." Others claim she was participating in other illicit activities, but no matter. Even though Pepsi-Cola paid the performers' salaries, Walt would not stand for any unsavory behavior inside his Magic Kingdom.

Opus1guy
04-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Miss Marsh, according to Harvey Johnson...

HA! Well, Harv should have known! Seeing as his office back door just about lead into the Horseshoe's dressing room area! ;)

Maybe he knew just a tad more than he was saying? ;)

Mark Goldhaber
04-02-2005, 07:44 PM
HA! Well, Harv should have known! Seeing as his office back door just about lead into the Horseshoe's dressing room area! ;)

Maybe he knew just a tad more than he was saying? ;)
Wouldn't doubt it. ;) :~D

sunfun94
04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
So when did they stop doing the original show? :confused:

bradk
04-03-2005, 01:49 AM
http://www.jansworld.net/golden_horseshoe_pages/gh_revue.htm

according to there, the original show was stopped in 1986

Drince88
04-03-2005, 05:49 AM
That would be cool to bring back the original show to DL. Maybe they could "share" that with WDW, too -- and get a SHOW back in the Diamond Horseshoe!!! It's not even listed on the map on the official website anymore, so I don't think they even have the Goofy/Woody based "interactive show" they did right after they got rid of the last real "show" (According to AllEars that closed 10/04)

gardener14
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
WDW's Diamond Horseshow Saloon has been cleared out and the floor is currently a Woody meet and greet area since Goofy's Country Dancing Jamboree closed. It's quite unfortunate.

Just a couple years ago they had a great show little variety show in there. It wasn't like what they used to have, but it was reminiscent of the old shows in that they had a host, a singer, and a magician perform a 45 minute country style variety show. The Goofy/Woody show was cute for kids, but it didn't last long. Now it's just a great theatre wasted on a meet and greet that could easily be held on the street outside the theatre. I hope they put a good show back in the Diamond Horshoe soon.

Opus1guy
04-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Hey...Mark Goldhaber...didn't realize until watching one of the extra features on the new Bambi DVD just now, that Don Novis of the Golden Horseshoe, was the guy that sang "Love Is A Song" in Bambi many years earlier.

Walt certainly didn't forget talent and kept them throwing them work when he could!

http://www.autographsofamerica.com/k-opera65-NovisDonald-SP.html

merlinjones
04-04-2005, 12:32 PM
I dearly hope this rumor is true. I loved The Golden Horseshoe Revue and will love seeing and participating in it once again! The Can-Can can't be beat! That lovely saloon deserves rollicking vaudeville entertainment once again to transport us to the days of the Old West (Hollywood style).

Go, Matt!!!

Jeremiah
04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Sorry all I think this rumor started cause I was setting up a April Fools joke that died early on. This is what started it all (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=38160&highlight=billy+hill), sorry about that.

J

bradk
04-04-2005, 05:21 PM
cruelness.

sunfun94
04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
pure torture

sdfilmcritic
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Absolutely hilarious

Gouru
04-05-2005, 09:08 AM
Doing April Fools jokes on other than April Fools day is just plain wrong.

I'm sorry, I read that, saw no disclaimers, and accepted it. I changed vacation plans to be there on July 17th, which left my oldest daughter (not living at home) out of the trip, since she couldn't get off work then. Not a major deal as she often goes without us.

Now I have to cancel those, move back to the August date so she can go along, with all the hassle that entails.

Very uncool.

Terri
04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Sorry all I think this rumor started cause I was setting up a April Fools joke that died early on. This is what started it all (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=38160&highlight=billy+hill), sorry about that.

J

Well...this isn't where I heard this rumor and it's been posted elsewhere on the web. I'd like to know if anyone IN THE KNOW has any clue as to whether or not this is true.

I'm not changing any plans, but would much rather see the original show (format - not necessarily the original actors as they are somewhat up there in age) than the current show anytime!

And...if this is simply a rumor or bad April Fools joke, then I'm sorry if I've perpetuated it in any way.
:eek:

Jeremiah
04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Very uncool.

If in fact you did do all of this because of my joke I am sorry...BUT anyone that comes on any boards about Disney should know that everything is just a rumor until the day it opens or DL puts out a press release(even then it is still ify at best). I actully started it early to see how many other web sites would pick it up...0 did and the thread died very fast so I never had a second thought about it until this one started. So I just wrote it off to no one cares.

I know (this is the truth no joke) that the idea of returning a version of the GHR has been looked at, but no plans are set for it at this time.

Once again I am sorry for any trouble my joke would might have caused, but again always check with Disneyland.com or call the parks to find out the truth.

J