PDA

View Full Version : Question for CM's

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shary Bobbins
01-07-2002, 03:41 PM
What is the difference between being a seasonal and part-time CM in terms of how many hours and days you work each week? Also what is it like working in various positions in the park such as attractions, guest relations, stores?

alex mouse
01-07-2002, 04:13 PM
well seasonals are called CT's (casual temporary),and they only work during summer,winter and spring breaks and are pretty much, with all do respect , the lowest form of a cast member. you get no disney benefits really, not even a main gate pass and the next step up is ummm CR (casual regular), and there u get disney benefits and you work throughout the year but you work from 0 to whatever hours are available,then its CR-25, where your responsible for maintaining 25 hours a week, but you do get medical and dental benefits, then theres PT (part time) a.k.a "B" status where u get more benefits (medical,disney,sick pay,holiday pay,etc.) and there u get more hours then everybody else below you, with less seniority, then theres FT (full time" a.k.a. "A" status) pretty much the same as PT you just get first dibs on the shifts of your choice, top of the food chain...lol, well i think thats all right??? if im wrong,please somebody help me out!!!

Morrigoon
01-07-2002, 04:24 PM
CTs build up no seniority, B's are only guaranteed 30 hrs/week, A's are guaranteed 40 (I think), but the park is careful to have as few A's as possible, so as to avoid paying out too much in benefits.

I could be wrong about those figures though. The person who told me hasn't worked there in a while.

tabacco
01-07-2002, 05:04 PM
Um... being a CT doesn't make you "the lowest form of castmember." It simply means that you get fewer benefits because you don't put in nearly as many days of work as any other CM. It doesn't mean you're a 2nd-class CM and will get spit on by the >CRs or anything like that.

Besides, now that we CTs can sign ourselves into the park year-round, I've got all the benefits I need :)

Shary Bobbins: What do you mean about what it's like working in different depts.? Are you asking what a typical workday is like, or how we like it, or what?

zapppop
01-07-2002, 05:56 PM
How much do you pay per month for you medical , dental and vision when you DO get your benefits and how much does it cover ?

Also, how much do you make per hour ? I remember when I auditioned for the MSEP back in May, the suit told us we would only be making $7 per hour ( pretty awful, considering you could make more money working part time at Taco Bell ).

Shary Bobbins
01-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Tobacco: I was more wanted to know what you guys like it or not, but also I think what goes on during a typical work day would be interesting too.

Morrigoon
01-07-2002, 06:58 PM
In n Out pays better.

ripplededge
01-07-2002, 07:04 PM
alex mouse:
"CR-25, where your responsible for maintaining 25 hours a week, but you do get medical and dental benefits,..."

I am not sure if you have to maintain 25 hours each week. Before the rule was you only had to work 3 out of 4 weeks a month with 25 hours.

I miss those CR-20 days.

Also during holidays CT's get nothing extra for that day.
CR's get time and a half
CR-25's and up get double time

You also have to be a CR or higher to get a floating holiday day (which just adds an additional 8 hours to your shift that day).

Shary Bobbins:
"Also what is it like working in various positions in the park such as attractions, guest relations, stores?"

It all depends where you like to be... around the kiddies more be in Attraction Ops, if you like to kiss booty be in Guest Relations (Ha! just kidding) Foods... who likes foods?!? Ekkkk! People who just want things NOW!!! I must give a hand to Store Ops. they deal with a lot of people's doo doo.

"I was more wanted to know what you guys like it or not, but also I think what goes on during a typical work day would be interesting too."

Well for me, there are good days and bad days. Like tonight, I was a happy freak... weird for me. But, other nights I can just be "eh" and not really care about anything.
Typical day for me would prolly include 3 to 4 emergency runs, walking, standing, and talking. I don't bus my booty off like the people bussing a table in Food Ops do.
But, in Security you get to deal with all kinds of stuff. People with weed, on acid trips, people drunk and passed out, sexual activity, fights, people that have hurt themselves, even those scary 51-50 people.
And the pay is pretty good for having fun too.

Morrigoon
01-07-2002, 07:46 PM
okay, now I gotta know... what's 51-50?

Ace
01-07-2002, 07:47 PM
I'd like to know the story behind your signature, ripplededge

Not Afraid
01-07-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
okay, now I gotta know... what's 51-50?

51-50 is the code that is used for someone who is attempting to hurt themselves, such as a sucide attempt. It is also used if a person is a danger to others. The person is usually put on a 72 hour psychiatric hold.

DisneyDenise28
01-07-2002, 09:01 PM
I work in food operations which also includes ODV,aka "the disneyland resort spoons" and its a very fun and rewarding department with a very good chef apprenticeship program. In foods we get lots of variety and as leads more responsibility than in other departments. As a Resort Recruiter I found out that foods is not only the highest paid in the park--bet many didn't know that, but we also have more of a community since we always work in the same area. Everything in foods is pay rated not only because of a union based hazard rate because we lift a lot and are working with lots of heavy equipment (i.e. boudins bakery machinery-- you could definitely cut your arm off on some of that stuff) but we also get rated for different positions such as dinner cook (next time you see the mission tortilla cook he's making about 14 bucks an hour), asst. chef, pantry, baker, fry cook, cashier (at the disneyland hotel they start at $9), boh lead, foh lead, lead dinner cook, lead fry cook, bartender, etc. we have a very strong hotel restaurant union H.E.R.E 681, and our leads even have competitive rates starting at 13 bucks an hour and up. So next time you frown down on foods think twice because the dept. is excellent. My fiance works in stores as a lead and says the pay isn't too great, which it isn't, and he hates it because it's so boring, sometimes I wish he could share the proudness that I share for my dept. well I better get off my soapbox now :)
sincerely
a proud resort spoon. :D

tabacco
01-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Well, I can say that Main Entrance is a blast :)

I'm probably gonna transfer next summer, though, just to try something else. Maybe attractions, maybe something else. who knows? :)

tinkfreak
01-07-2002, 10:06 PM
We have a few choices for our medical, dental and vision. I pay about $13 a month total and everything is covered. I just pay $5 for doc. visits, $5 for dentist visits, and $10 for new glasses (once a year). I think that rocks.

There are still CR-25's in out there, but I heard they did away with that status now. (If you're not one now, you can't become one). It's either CR or RPT. Rippled Edge was right about Store Ops. We put up with ALOT of CRAP.

thamnarestan
01-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by DisneyDenise28
I work in food operations which also includes ODV,aka "the disneyland resort spoons" and its a very fun and rewarding department with a very good chef apprenticeship program. In foods we get lots of variety and as leads more responsibility than in other departments. As a Resort Recruiter I found out that foods is not only the highest paid in the park--bet many didn't know that, but we also have more of a community since we always work in the same area.

So next time you frown down on foods think twice because the dept. is excellent.

Okay, I worked in Food Ops before transferring to Attractions, and I disagree with everything you say.

I hated Foods. The work was disgusting. The guests were usually in a bad mood. And the other CMs were mostly losers.

The line about Foods being the best-paid department is decieving. From what I've heard, it's only true for those who are just starting out, or those who have worked at the park for 20 years. On average, a Foods CM does not make more than CMs from other departments. Actually, I think I remember hearing that Custodial is the best paid. It's a good lie to use for recruitment, though.

As far as the "sense of community" goes, some of the attractions I work at are very close-knit. People generally like each other and entire attraction crews go to dinner or parties together.

Regarding leads-- attraction leads have quite a bit of responsibility (I don't know about leads in other lines of business).

I think the chief attraction of working in Attractions, besides the fact that, when you get down to it, it is the core line of business, is the rotation system and the ease of the work performed. In Attractions, I'm not stuck doing the same thing every day for eight hours straight. I can work on different rides and I rotate among the positions during my shift.

I've worked in both lines of business, and I can tell you that Attractions is a far, far better place to work than Foods.

MickeyD
01-07-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by thamnarestan
And the other CMs were mostly losers.

That's weird. From your other posts I always thought you were a Christian.

Nigel2
01-07-2002, 11:25 PM
What does that have to do with his religion?:confused:

Morrigoon
01-07-2002, 11:33 PM
I thought security paid the best?

MickeyD
01-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
What does that have to do with his religion?:confused:

Calling a whole group of people losers is generally thought of as un-Christian-like. :D

Nigel2
01-07-2002, 11:38 PM
So.... the KKK calls themselves christan, but lets stop this right here.

ripplededge
01-08-2002, 07:06 AM
DisneyDenise28:
"(next time you see the mission tortilla cook he's making about 14 bucks an hour), asst. chef, pantry, baker, fry cook, cashier (at the disneyland hotel they start at $9), boh lead, foh lead, lead dinner cook, lead fry cook, bartender, etc. we have a very strong hotel restaurant union H.E.R.E 681, and our leads even have competitive rates starting at 13 bucks an hour and up."

As you can see you did not list a foods host or hostess. Not many people, when they hire in, are going to be an asst. chef, or a lead. Most Foods Ops people will start off at $7.21/hr.

Morrigoon:
"I thought security paid the best?"

Security and Night Custodial get paid the most. In Security, I know, atleast right now, the starting wage for just a peasant, no experience no nothing, just hired in is $8.55; but we can top off around $19/hr. That's $19/hr, not a lead or anything. After you hit around $18 or $19/hr your pay will raise 3% every year.

thamnarestan:
"I hated Foods. The work was disgusting."

Actually I must agree with you. I was a busser in DL (sorry not going to mention where) and the work was terrible. We had to lift 70 lb+ buss tubs over our shoulder, then to top things off the management said you could only lift 20 lbs, which was like not even 1 table, cause we had blasted china. And then they would nag cause the table wasn't cleared fast enough. Plus I got dirty with food all over my costume every night.

Squinky:
"I'd like to know the story behind your signature, ripplededge"

Okay, it was nothing magicial, just something that blinded my eyes on Jan. 6, 2002. Yes, it was just last Sunday.
Do you know where TDA is? That big yellow building on Ball Rd.? (well actually facing the I-5 it is green). Well I was working there as TDA1, the dude that sits inside the office.
And we are supposed to do parking structure checks, you know, walk around to see if there isn't a hobo in there or anything (actually had that happen, long story don't ask), cause there are no cameras in there. So it's about 12:15pm and I walk around. Normally there are no cars in there on the weekend, but since they open the west gate arm by Ball Gate (#7) every single person parks in there, so they don't have to park at BCML, where they are supposed to. So naturally the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels are filled, but once when you get to the 4th and 5th, there is absolutely nothing. So what do I do, I am a loser and check the roof, the 6th floor, and to my shock I see a car there parked illegally against the wall, basically almost blocking the stairwell. So I decide to walk up behind the car, cause I dunno what the deal was. All of a sudden I see someone's head move up and down and I am like "WTF.... ha wouldn't it be funny if 2 kids were having sex up here". And what to my surprise as I wait next to the car window, knocking on it asking them if I could see their ID's, you guessed it, fulled rated TV-MA stuff. Ha! They weren't scared at all, just TOTALLY embarrassed, they were actually nice about it too, considering they were both 19.
Then of course after that you got to jot down all their info, and ask them to leave property. To top it off they were both CM's, so they might get suspended. Ya, I could've let them go, but it gave me something to do. Plus they actually listened to me, they were both bigger than me so they could have kicked my booty and drove off.... oh well.

Shary Bobbins
01-08-2002, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know about working in Guest Relations?

PhilMP
01-08-2002, 02:43 PM
Since I don't want to put up a number of messages just to quote, I'll take care of this all at once.

Denise, ODV does NOT consider themselves to be in Food Ops. We hate Food Ops. Half of our managers don't even consider ODV to be Food Ops, but a separate department which doesn't fit under the established structure.

Foods Host/Hostesses, which is what Outdoor Vending/Ventures CMs are paid, start at 7.96. I don't know how that compares to other starting wages throughout the Resort, but I heard Custodial Bussing pays only 6.50 or something, so it sure beats that.

As for Guest Relations, don't get me started on how much I hate them and their high-and-mightiness.

Phil

tabacco
01-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Ripplededge: You work TDA1? Do you know the security guy with the white hair and mustache who seems to be there a lot? I forgot his name, unfortunately.

ripplededge
01-08-2002, 03:39 PM
PhilMP:
"We hate Food Ops."

I have never once seen an ODV CM sit on the westside of the Inn Between. You guys/gals always sit on the east end at that one big table on the eastside, or you always take over that side, while every other type of CM mixes with each other. I always wonder why it's not like that at the Bungalow Grill, or BOB's aka the DRC (Security calls it BOB's), or Paradise Pier, or DCA Cafe, and never ever at Eat Ticket... well cause that place is filled with blue cards (salaried paid, doesn't mean they are management). I dunno what it's like at Westside, cause I don't like it there. But why only at the Inn Between... ?

"Custodial Bussing pays only 6.50 or something, so it sure beats that."

Are you referring to my addition to the thread? cause I said Night Custodial, there is a difference.

"…a separate department which doesn't fit under the established structure."

Technically, you are absolutely WRONG!
There are 5 divisions of Foods: Table Service, Buffeteria, Quick Service, Special Events, & ODV.
As you know:
Red Team does hot dogs, tamales, etc.
Yellow Team does popcorn, cotton candy, etc.
Blue Team does balloons, merchandise, & ice cream

One more thing Phil… if ODV is not considered Food Ops, then why on your second day of training do you take the Food Line of Business class, like all other Food Ops CMs do?!?!?!?!?