PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced Club Libby Lu in DD?

ima_mickeyfan
04-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I was thinking of taking my daughters who are both 4 there while my dh takes our 2 sons to midevil times dinner. From what I understand you can make your own body glitter and soap. right? but what do they actually do there to entertain the children and is it worth the $20 per child?

jrad32
04-01-2005, 11:55 AM
Be afraid, be very afraid of the Libby Lu. :eek:

ima_mickeyfan
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
why? what is wrong with it....???? don't keep me in suspense...tell me

bradk
04-01-2005, 11:58 AM
you should do a search in this forum for it. there have been some very active discussions about it.

for those who have done it, they've been very happy, although they usually end up spending a bit of money buying merchandise on top of it.

there's also always build-a-bear for which i am a personal champion for.

ima_mickeyfan
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
so your saying spend the money on build a bear? that sounds like a good idea and it will last longer than body glitter.

jrad32
04-01-2005, 12:06 PM
There are some previous discussions, but basically some don't like Libby Lu because it paints on huge amounts of makeup on pre-teen girls and "makes them over."

Mommy2NicknMax
04-01-2005, 12:10 PM
so your saying spend the money on build a bear? that sounds like a good idea and it will last longer than body glitter.
I agree with this too.

Gramiangel420
04-01-2005, 12:11 PM
We hadn't heard about Libby Lu until I read about it in the forum. We arrived at the Grand Californian Hotel on Saturday, March 19th. We went to Libby Lu and asked if they had any openings for Sunday. ( I read here that we needed an appointment) They were full for Sunday and had only 2 openings for Monday. I signed my granddaughter( age 7) for a 10:30am appointment. We knew from here that the makeover would include a hairdo and some makeup and glitter and 5 accessories for our $20. ( There are other packages available for $30 and $35)
When my daughter took my granddaughter in on Monday about 10:15 am they found that the person that typed the list had left Michele's name off of it, but the people there were lovely and Michele got her princess makeover. It included the hairdo and light glittery makeup, a pink bag to carry the accessories in and a nice tiera. Her mom opted for the $20 package. The others included some extra body gels or makeup or something.
Anyway Michele really felt like a princess. (She did build a bear last time we were there and she loves that too)
My daughter went back later to tip the girl who did Michele's hair and stuff and she said they were not allowed to take tips and she was just glad that Michele loved it so much.
So after this long post I would definitely recommend it. :)

tlovesdis
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Club Libby Lu is so much fun. Your 4 year olds will love it!

ima_mickeyfan
04-01-2005, 12:27 PM
well after reading all the other past post on this subject it just seems like it all comes down to the common sense of the parent on how much makeup they should let the child wear, and say enough is enough. I think every little girl should be allowed to play dress up as long as it's all in good taste. I have caught my 2 little girls putting makeup on each other that have definatly left me saying "O", but to them it's just plain ol' fun. plus the pictures make for great scrapbook layouts. I am more intrested in them making their own lotion and body glitter than them getting to play dress up. we do that all the time at home, I just thought it would be fun, I thought it was more of making your own lipgloss, body wash, gel etc. instead of playing dress up. heck I could save the $40. it would cost me to have someone put their hair up in a bun and put make up on and do it myself.
I guess I am leaning more towards build a bear, especially if they have disney outfits. I think would be more memorable and they would have something that would last longer than gel.

bradk
04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
I guess I am leaning more towards build a bear, especially if they have disney outfits. I think would be more memorable and they would have something that would last longer than gel.

not if.

http://www.buildabear.com/shop/browsecategory.aspx?CallingPage=BrowseCategory&Category=Disney

reportedly, the DTD store also has special mickey mouse outfits (complete with the ears) that are not sold online.

and yes, they really are special. your child virtually creates them and there's so many outfits and accessories to choose from (with more constantly becoming available) that you can always buy online or at a local store, should you have one.

the hard part is trying to limit yourself.

mw9955
04-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Hello,
My 4 year old went on her 4th birthday and just loved it... We went in the evening and then ate at DTD with her makeover and she felt like a princess. Its not like they put foundation and mascara on.. She wanted pink eyeshadow, pink gloss and glitter on her hairdo. I read a lot of the forums concerning this before we went. I think putting on some makeup for fun is okay - its not like I would let her wear a miniskirt, tube top and some platform shoes to go with it. That would be too much. Also, I probably would not have taken her off of Disney Property with the makeover. But I definitely can see a lot of parents uncomfortable with it. My husband felt a little weird about it. In fact, if we ever go again, I would talk to the makeup person before and ask them for as little as possible but still be enough for my daughter to see it.

Opus1guy
04-01-2005, 01:53 PM
The eyeliner they applied to me, caused me to tear-up all day long. I must be allergic to it. And later, I just couldn't get that fallen glitter out of the burlap sack I was wearing...fer nothin'!

:)

SCUBAbe
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
not personally, but I did see about 5 7-9 year old girls all made up with glitter, makeup and fake hair...alos tight belly baring pants and mid driffs showing being led in evocative dance moves by the emloyees right in front of the store in DTD. All I could think of was that it must be a child molesters dream come true...*sigh*...I found it to be tasteless and kept moving on to sephora...:)

i forgot..the parents (or at least adults) were there taking pictures and cheering them on....whatever floats there boat I guess...

Crazy4DL
04-01-2005, 02:08 PM
The eyeliner they applied to me, caused me to tear-up all day long. I must be allergic to it. And later, I just couldn't get that fallen glitter out of the burlap sack I was wearing...fer nothin'!

:)

You are a goof ball, Opus1guy! ;)

oh, no name calling here - I meant it in the best of ways.:D

MrsG
04-01-2005, 02:11 PM
not personally, but I did see about 5 7-9 year old girls all made up with glitter, makeup and fake hair...alos tight belly baring pants and mid driffs showing being led in evocative dance moves by the emloyees right in front of the store in DTD. All I could think of was that it must be a child molesters dream come true...*sigh*...I found it to be tasteless and kept moving on to sephora...:)

i forgot..the parents (or at least adults) were there taking pictures and cheering them on....whatever floats there boat I guess...
I saw this spectacle too. :rolleyes: Ending any further comments.

Mommy2NicknMax
04-01-2005, 02:16 PM
I saw this spectacle too. :rolleyes: Ending any further comments.
Add me to the list. They were dancing to Mambo Number 5 and drew quite a crowd. The makeover didn't bother me b/c when I was little I played with my mom's makeup too. It was the outfits they were wearing. :eek:

ima_mickeyfan
04-01-2005, 02:17 PM
it's official, we are going to pass up the club and head for build a bear instead, and that way i can buy them gift cards for their birthdays and it won't effect their "spending allowence" while we are there...
pretty smart huh??lol

Inkman
04-01-2005, 03:10 PM
it's official, we are going to pass up the club and head for build a bear instead, and that way i can buy them gift cards for their birthdays and it won't effect their "spending allowence" while we are there...
pretty smart huh??lol

Good for you!! We went last March during some cheerleader thingy and i was appalled at how the parents let their pre-teen/early teen daughters dress. Maybe their parents weren't around or not on the trip at all, but it was almost sickening.
I'm talking very young girls dressed like 20 sumptins goin to a bar looking for the man of their dreams.
I saw one girl dressed just like her mother...mom in 40's trying to look 20's and daughter in early teens trying to look 20's. Low cut jeans and short top with lots of makeup.

Come on you people!! Don't do that with your kids!! They'll be adults before you know it. Don't try to make it happen that much faster. Let em stay kids!!

Al

sunfun94
04-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Luckily my daughter is very apprehensive about the employee at the entrance with the wings on..she wont go near the place

MsYumiBr
04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a girl scout troop (6-9 year olds) and they WANT to go to Club Libby Lu for a party. They wanted to do a fashion show at my house but I wanted the party a little more constructive than just showing off. So, at my last trip to DL, I saw bunches of girls around the park very nicely preened, not overly done, just normal girls with neat hair, nails done and a little lip color and eyeshadow. But then again, I lived in orange county for a number of years and this is what the girls do there normally. I even saw a party at Libby Lu's where one girl was wearing something wierd but it *was* a party and the outfit matched the headphone thingy. She was a rock star after all. I am still debating about doing this but this is what they wanted and it would be fun for them. They've already done the Build-a-Bear thing. We may even combine the party with a character meal. No wierd clothing though and no overly done makeup!

tlovesdis
04-01-2005, 08:28 PM
FYI - the clothes are not provided by Club Libby Lu, but by those childrens parents!!!! My niece can have a makeover there any day, but there is no way in he** she would ever be wearing belly bearing pants, etc...

The makeover is done in a very tasteful way. How the children are dressed has nothing to do with it! I think Club Libby Lu is a fun place!

SCUBAbe
04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
FYI - the clothes are not provided by Club Libby Lu, but by those childrens parents!!!! My niece can have a makeover there any day, but there is no way in he** she would ever be wearing belly bearing pants, etc...

The makeover is done in a very tasteful way. How the children are dressed has nothing to do with it! I think Club Libby Lu is a fun place!

from what I saw when I walked in once they had racks of clothes and shoes...

bradk
04-02-2005, 03:08 AM
i think her point was that ultimately it's the parents that allow for the questionable clothing, not the store itself.

SCUBAbe
04-02-2005, 09:06 AM
i think her point was that ultimately it's the parents that allow for the questionable clothing, not the store itself.

oh, this sentence confused me,"FYI - the clothes are not provided by Club Libby Lu, but by the those childrens parents!!!!" I took that to mean the kids came dressed that way, but I suppose it could mean the parents bought the clothes there. Regardless the questionable attire is there for purchase and some parents have a hard time with the word no, but that is not the stores fault. I don't blame the store for any of it. When all is said and done it comes down to the parents choices, :)