PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to AP Question

DangerMouse
04-01-2005, 07:08 AM
Going to DLR in April and want to upgrade to AP's. Purchased 2 adult 4-day hoppers through getawaytoday and got 2 kids' hoppers free. Then we purchased two more adult parkhoppers (for the two grandmas) from another source at kids' prices.

So, is it possible to upgrade the grandmas' parkhoppers to AP's for my two kids at the end of our stay? The grandmas won't be coming back, but our family wants to make another trip or two this year and really want those AP's.

Thanks for your help. :D

Darkbeer
04-01-2005, 09:00 AM
SHouldn't be a problem...

You are right, the "free" tickets have no value in upgrading.. but if you bring 4 tickets, and 4 people to the AP processing center, you should be able to get 4 AP's, you get credit for the actual price paid for the ParkHoppers, and will have to pay the difference... but Disney always loves more money from you ;)

Just do it on the last day, after the grandma's have entered the park for the last time.

DangerMouse
04-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks Darkbeer! I knew I could count on you to answer this one.

One more question. . . Do the grandmas have to sign the back of their parkhoppers? Will that cause a problem in the upgrade for our kids?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! The idea of actually having APs has me a bit giddy! :D

bradk
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
most people tend to get away with not signing the hoppers.

biolabetty
04-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I agree with Darkbeer that you should upgrade on your last day, but don't do what I did, make sure it is late in the day and you will not be doing any more park hopping if the pass you are getting has a blockout day that day. I did it first thing in the morning because the lines were so short at the pass center, and got stopped 3 times at the turnstyles since it was a blockout day. I even had a reentry ticket with my pass but still had problems.

SCUBAbe
04-01-2005, 05:48 PM
most people tend to get away with not signing the hoppers.

I asked if I needed to sign my park hopper and the CM said no. So, our were not signed. However, if you're going to ride GRR 20 times in a row you might want to make sure the ticket stays dry. they do not scan very well the next day...LOL

mkcbunny
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a related question. My husband and I are going in May, and then I am going with a friend in November. So I want an AP, of course. But my husband will get an early entry with his 3-day pass and I won't if I buy the AP. So I was gonna do an upgrade, as discussed above.

My question is: How is the early entry granted? Is it encoded in the 3-day Park Hopper ticket somehow? I'm guessing I should wait 'til I use it on the Thursday, then upgrade to my AP on the Friday afterward.

Darkbeer
04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
I have a related question. My husband and I are going in May, and then I am going with a friend in November. So I want an AP, of course. But my husband will get an early entry with his 3-day pass and I won't if I buy the AP. So I was gonna do an upgrade, as discussed above.

My question is: How is the early entry granted? Is it encoded in the 3-day Park Hopper ticket somehow? I'm guessing I should wait 'til I use it on the Thursday, then upgrade to my AP on the Friday afterward.

Basically, the words "Early Entry" are printed on the ParkHopper, and then crossed off on the day of use, just like the way the ESPN Zone Game card works...

Mermaid
04-02-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm also thinking about upgrading when my Dad takes my sisters and I in (hopefully) October. From what I have read, the procedure seems to be you go to the ticket booths, pay the upgrade and then go to the processing center for your pic and final AP. Is this correct? Do you use your parkhopper to get into DL for the processing or do they give you some sort of AP voucher? AND if that day is blocked out, how do you show you were already there with your parkhopper? One more, what are the hours of the ticket booth/processing center? Are they the same as DL even when it is open to midnight? What is the best time of teh day to go? oops that was more than one more! Thanks in advance!!

Darkbeer
04-02-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm also thinking about upgrading when my Dad takes my sisters and I in (hopefully) October. From what I have read, the procedure seems to be you go to the ticket booths, pay the upgrade and then go to the processing center for your pic and final AP. Is this correct? Do you use your parkhopper to get into DL for the processing or do they give you some sort of AP voucher? AND if that day is blocked out, how do you show you were already there with your parkhopper? One more, what are the hours of the ticket booth/processing center? Are they the same as DL even when it is open to midnight? What is the best time of teh day to go? oops that was more than one more! Thanks in advance!!

There is no need to go to the Main Ticket booths... you can take care of everything, including payment at the AP processing center.

Just use your ParkHopper, and in most cases, on the last day of your visit, take the ParkHopper to the AP processing center (about to be moved, so not sure where, but any CM should be able to point you in the right direction).

The hours of operation are the same as the park hours. Just show up with your ParkHopper, pay the difference in price between the ParkHopper and the AP (Cash or charge), give them your information (address, birthdate, etc.), let them take a photo of you, and then wait a couple of minutes while they process and print your AP. That easy....

mkcbunny
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Just show up with your ParkHopper ... let them take a photo of you, and then wait a couple of minutes while they process and print your AP. That easy....

So they still take your photo at DL? Is the AP still the heavier "credit card" type plastic? That's what I had two years ago, but when I got my AP at WDW last year, it's just like a regular ticket, and they don't take your picture.

Just curious.

bradk
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
but the WDW one incorporates biometrics, doesn't it? that's not being done at all at DLR yet.

mkcbunny
04-03-2005, 12:42 PM
but the WDW one incorporates biometrics, doesn't it? that's not being done at all at DLR yet.

Yes. Finger scan. I can't say that I like it. I never did seem to get the insertion depth right on the first shot.

That said, I found that when I used my plastic DL AP, I had more problems with the FastPass machines than my friend did, who had a regular, paper Park Hopper pass. Sometimes I couldn't get a ticket. Not a big deal, since a CM was always there to get me a pass, but kind of annoying. So neither system is without its quirks.

But there's something to be said for not having to spend time getting your picture taken. You have to try and get your pic when there's no line -- which can be a challenge.