PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollar design

goober7011
03-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey I just wanted to ask what is the current design of the Disney Dollars. Also is there anything planned for the 50th?
Thanks
-Goober
(mods feel free to move)

DopeyWife
03-31-2005, 06:06 AM
Right now, the one dollar has Chicken Little on it to promote their next upcoming movie. I'm not sure what the other ones are.

ima_mickeyfan
03-31-2005, 06:34 AM
what a bummer, chicken little? can we still get the dollar with mickey mouse on it? our kids always get mickey to sign a dollar with his picture on it and then we put it in thir scrapbook.

ima_mickeyfan
03-31-2005, 06:35 AM
sorry, but I am not a chicken little fan...my kids show no intrest in it either.

sdfilmcritic
03-31-2005, 06:36 AM
I was thinking why does it have to be Chicken Little? Can't the company rely on other, more standard means of marketing? Disney Dollars should keep the classic characters on it.

Hopefully the US Mint doesn't get the same idea and start printing new dollar bills with the faces of political candidates who are running for office.

ima_mickeyfan
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
I totally agree!!!!! you think it would keep cost down also not having to make proofs, and prints of different characters when ever they want to promote a movie, I think the disney dollars should stay with the classic disney characters. they have lots of other ways of promoting movies that does'nt infringe on tradtion!

bradk
03-31-2005, 06:58 AM
Hopefully the US Mint doesn't get the same idea and start printing new dollar bills with the faces of political candidates who are running for office.

if i'm not mistaken, by law, you must be dead to be considered for a bill. although i guess it would work for the governor who posthumously defeated john ashcroft. i'm pretty sure disney doesn't have the same rules governing their money.

as far as the other question, ironically, it seems that disney is running around like a chicken with its head cut off when it comes to chicken little. i get the feeling it has very little recognition and they've even gone as far as to have a float in last year's macy's thanksgiving day parade. i think they're just feeling a lot of pressure since this is their first wide-release CG picture and may have a signficant impact on the public morale for TS3.

AmandasDad
03-31-2005, 08:08 AM
And soon they will realise that it is not the CG that makes Pixar products better than the Di$ney 2D animation. It's the story.

Tigertail777
03-31-2005, 08:40 AM
And much as they may not want to admit it, they already tried their hand at a wide release CG and BOMBED. Anyone remember "Disnasour"? It was beautiful to look at, but dear lord the story needed help. This is where Disney doesnt "get it"... its STORY not the vehicle that makes for a good movie that sells well.

I am kinda surprised on the dollars that they dont have a golden version of the castle on the back. Seems like for the 50th it would be appropriate and fitting to put Walt himself on the front, and either the golden castle, or the castle as it is being built on the back. If it were me, I would also include smaller faces around the edges of the main original Imagineers.

bradk
03-31-2005, 08:56 AM
oh. dinosaur. guess i forgot about that one.

the thing about dinosaur is that for what it's worth, i still find it to be a technical marvel and achievement given the live action background filmed and edited in tandem with the rest of it. i'm sure the background shots alone would make for a lovely imax (or shall i say soarin') film.

likewise what i admire about pixar is that they have revolutionized the process for making full length CG films. when you watch toy story, the closeup shots of buzz or mr. potatohead, where you can see the textures and how an actual tangible product would be constructed and then to transition that into a fluid movement is just astonishing. i did enjoy the story as well. but i absolutely hate their people. it ruins it for me. (the same is pretty much true for PDI). but i can't say the same for ts2 or monsters, inc., which, while they did have their pluses, they followed the same storyboard as ts, right down to the chase scene (in ts, it was getting buzz back into the moving truck, in ts2 it was the conveyor belts in the luggage area and in monsters, inc., the closet doors). it just seem to lack originality to me. finding nemo somewhat turned that around (the dialogue that's played during the dvd menu for nemo is truly one of the funniest things i've ever heard, thanks to albert brooks) and i wasn't really bowled over by the incredibles to be honest. for my $.02, pixar reigns supreme in the animation department, but when you stack them up side by side, PDI films just have better writing. antz crushes a bug's life in terms of content and shrek is.. well, it's shrek.

of course compared to disney films... (le sigh)

cstephens
03-31-2005, 11:37 AM
I liked the Chicken Little Disney Dollar. I thought it was cute.

goober7011
03-31-2005, 11:52 AM
Right now, the one dollar has Chicken Little on it to promote their next upcoming movie. I'm not sure what the other ones are.

As far as I can remember and all the ones I have collected over the years always had mickey on the one. I thought this was a requirement that the fab five had to be on the bills.
But chicken little, come on now, it should mention some part of the 50th anniv.
-Goober

cstephens
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
I thought this was a requirement that the fab five had to be on the bills.

Requirement? By whom? It's just play money - and a souvenir.

I thought I had one with Tink, but I can't swear to it.

SoCalDude
03-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Chicken Little is the current desogn - but that does not mean they will not change it for the 50th. If they did not do anything special for the 50th with the Disney Dollars I would view it as a rather large oversight. Unless I missed an announcment or something.

And I seriously doubt it costs that much money for Disney to change the designs - they are not the US Goverment :p

Gramiangel420
03-31-2005, 12:31 PM
We had the tens. Tinkerbell, Goofy, Minnie and I think maybe Mickey, but I can't remember.
We were just there 3/20!

P.S. Can someone tell me how to fix my signature. When I removed the countdown clock I must have done something wrong! Help! :eek:

bradk
03-31-2005, 12:47 PM
P.S. Can someone tell me how to fix my signature. When I removed the countdown clock I must have done something wrong! Help! :eek:

you need closing /FONT and /URL tags

biolabetty
03-31-2005, 01:51 PM
I tried to buy Disney Dollars at our local Disney Store last week, but they didn't have any. I was told it was because they were waiting for the new dollars that would be celebrating the 50th.

Opus1guy
03-31-2005, 02:33 PM
I heard a rumor that Disney Dollar artist Matt Mew is working on a new design for the back of the Mickey Dollar for the 50th. I heard it will involve Eisner and a boot.

;)

kohl
03-31-2005, 03:32 PM
I tried to buy Disney Dollars at our local Disney Store last week, but they didn't have any. I was told it was because they were waiting for the new dollars that would be celebrating the 50th.

I tried to get some Disney Dollars from the Disney Store last week for my kids for Easter also and they were all sold out too. Siad they wouldn't have any for a few weeks. Didn't say they were getting some for the 50th, but that is what I thought.

Disney Vault
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I have read that Chicken Little is actually a pretty good movie. I think it was an article at JimHillMedia and he got to see a test screening.

nsyncitnd1787
03-31-2005, 09:17 PM
I have read that Chicken Little is actually a pretty good movie. I think it was an article at JimHillMedia and he got to see a test screening.

i heard it's sposed to be good too, but i'm waiting til i can pre-order the DVD to actually spend any money on it. trying not to encourage the CG animation. traditional is soooooooooo much better. timeless and clasic just like Uncle Walt himself.

DopeyWife
04-01-2005, 09:06 PM
That would be cool to see special Disney Dollars for the 50th.

cstephens
04-02-2005, 03:15 PM
That would be cool to see special Disney Dollars for the 50th.

Maybe they'll be gold! :)

Animalia
04-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Back in February I asked a Cast Member at Guest Relations if the 2005 issue Disney Dollars had come out. He told me they wouldn't be out until May. I'm guessing that means they'll be special for the 50th and their timing the release for the celebration.
As far as the Chicken Little Disney Dollars, they were released last November or December and are only for a limited time. It'll probably be replaced by the new One Dollar in May. Again - just a guess.

BTW, don't scough at the little poultry dollar bill. It's already on Ebay and the seller's asking up to $7.00 for it. I would've waited till it was no longer available at the parks myself. But being "limited" to a specific time period, expect devoted Disney memorabilia collectors to pay more than a dollar for the little bird bill later in the year. Especially if the movie is a success.

bradk
04-02-2005, 07:26 PM
It's already on Ebay and the seller's asking up to $7.00 for it.

it's not what someone is asking for it that matters. it's what someone is willing to pay for it.