PDA

View Full Version : Mid-October Trip

squuggy
03-30-2005, 05:33 PM
Just booked my Disneyland vacation for October 11-14 (Tuesday-Friday) and I was wondering about shows: specifically Fantasmic, MSEP at DCA, and Fireworks. Am I SOL because my visit is planned for midweek in the off-season to avoid crowds. Any info y'all might have (based on previous years even) is thankfully appreciated.

196 days to Disneyland.

Yes I am control freak who cannot help but plan hopelessly far in advance.

bradk
03-30-2005, 07:08 PM
even in off seasons, fridays are generally treated as a weekend. so if you're able to stay late friday night, there's a good shot you'll be able to see all of the above

uvsc_wolverine
03-30-2005, 10:08 PM
I was there at the end of October last year (week leading up to Halloween) and the fireworks and MSEP both ran on Friday (no F! because the Columbia was being refurbed at the time).

ima_mickeyfan
03-31-2005, 06:38 AM
in my personal opinion I would think that they would run everything all year, due to the fact that it is the 50th and why should the people who wait for the off season be punished by missing all the exciting stuff?

bradk
03-31-2005, 06:48 AM
both the fireworks ('remember' especially) and F! are very costly to operate. to do the fireworks every night would make park operating costs rise exponentially and in addition to running costs, F! would have increased wear and tear on its props and mechanics and become more of a maintenance nightmare.

it's really not likely they will run them in the off season any differently than they have before.

also, like it or not, WDW will always be the one to benefit more than its fair share from disney celebrations. it's the main tourist destination with all the land, parks and hotels.

ima_mickeyfan
03-31-2005, 09:34 AM
so tell me what's the point in celebrating it for 18months if they are only going to do the real "celebrating" during the on season? so the customers that go in the off season don't count when it comes to disneyland showing the same magical experience? ok that's like disney saying ok all you that come in during the on season get "prime rib" and those that choose to come in the off season get "meat loaf", but you still have to pay the same prices for tickets that you would anyother time. I don't get it! All I have to say is that I better be able to see the fireworks and fantasmic or I will be truely disappointed and forced to start visiting WDW.

bradk
03-31-2005, 09:42 AM
F! is not part of the celebration. 'Remember' can only be considered part of the celebration because it's been redesigned to be bigger and better and specifically to pay tribute to disneyland and its attractions. otherwise, there have always been fireworks.

still, both of which should be available most every friday, saturday and sunday regardless of the time of year.

the off season is the off season because it doesn't experience nearly as much traffic. there is absolutely a point where you cannot justify spending money and valuable resources to please a limited number of people who are free to come during the high seasons as well.

hlbtimes2
03-31-2005, 09:50 AM
There is a trade off you make by going in the off season. The hotels and such are slightly cheaper. The crowds are smaller. But, for that you might not get all of the fireworks and shows, and there are likely to be more attractions being refurb'ed. We always go in the off season. I would rather miss out on a ride or show, but not have to wait in huge lines. We love going in Oct or Feb. This year it will be Oct.

WITron
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
The other issue with the fireworks in the off season is the noise. I have heard that part of the reason that they do not have fireworks during the week is the fact that there are so many residental areas around DL and they made an agreement to only have firworks on weekends. Unlike at DW where there is no one around, so it isn't a problem.

Agent
04-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Congratulations on your trip. We just got back a couple of weeks ago. We missed most of CA spring break, but did not anticipate nearly the whole state of Arizona being out of school!

Just a heads up. I was told that Arizona's fall break is sometime in the first 2 weeks of October. Also, this is a heavy convention time for the DL hotels. Last year we went the 3rd week October. All three hotels were booked to capacity. The parks were not terribly crowded, just the hotels. But, it was not nearly as empty as I am use to during the off-season.

Mid-week Disneyland was open 10-8 and DCA 10-6. The only days the shows you asked about were running was the weekend. Maybe this year will be different. Regardless, enjoy your trip!!!!