JPirate23
01-06-2002, 10:11 PM
I was browsing around the internet and I found this

Disneyland~~~12.3 Million~~~ It Is Down 11 Percent
Disney's California Adventure~~~ 5 Million

Morrigoon
01-06-2002, 10:49 PM
11%? wow, that *is* bad.

One would hope that this would teach them that guests only come for a quality product... but I doubt they'll learn it.

As my film professor used to say, "You can't shine sh*t, you can only smear it."

blusilva
01-06-2002, 10:59 PM
DCA = 5 million? Wow. That's pathetic. I'm curious about how many of those were free or discounted admissions.

driftwood714
01-07-2002, 07:00 AM
If you're going to post information, atleast post the entire story. EVERY park (except Sea World San Diego for some reason) was down in attendance. Not just Disneyland. This heated debate is on just about every other Disney discussion board. I don't have the exact link to the story, but go on another board and you'll find it.

JPirate23
01-07-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by driftwood714
If you're going to post information, atleast post the entire story. EVERY park (except Sea World San Diego for some reason) was down in attendance. Not just Disneyland. This heated debate is on just about every other Disney discussion board. I don't have the exact link to the story, but go on another board and you'll find it.

I found this info on the westcoaster.net board which was made by the editor.

2CN
01-07-2002, 12:12 PM
5 million for DCA isnt pathetic. Think about it.. their goal was 7 million.. only two million short.. and it opened in a year with a horrible economy. It, from what I heard, did better then IOA did in its first year. Considering the year we have had, and the weather DCA has had to suffer thru, 5 million is pretty good.

MickeyD
01-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 2CN
5 million for DCA isnt pathetic. Think about it.. their goal was 7 million.. only two million short.. and it opened in a year with a horrible economy. It, from what I heard, did better then IOA did in its first year. Considering the year we have had, and the weather DCA has had to suffer thru, 5 million is pretty good.

Has 7 million been their goal since DCA opened? For some reason I thought they had a higher goal at the beginning, then changed it after a pathetic February.

2CN
01-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MickeyD

Has 7 million been their goal since DCA opened? For some reason I thought they had a higher goal at the beginning, then changed it after a pathetic February.

7 million was the only figure they ever used that I heard them use during the construction period and then around when it opened.

Ghoulish Delight
01-07-2002, 01:28 PM
What I find weird is that I would have put money down that said attendance was up this past year!! I mean, I don't recall going on an 'empty' day at all, while the year before I remember several. Though now that I think about it, I may be able to attribute it to fewer weekday visits. Or perhaps it is also the culmination of the FastPass effect (fewer people in lines giving a more crowded feeling).

Iceman
01-07-2002, 01:37 PM
The declining attendance probably has more to do with the slowing economy and reverberations from the terrorist attacks than a reduced quality product at the Disney parks. Still, I hope Disney won't use those external factors as excuses to ignore some internal changes that need to be made.

Also, I thought it was always Disney corporate policy not to release attendance figures. Where are these numbers coming from?

Napsto
01-07-2002, 01:45 PM
i remember hearing 9

Ace
01-07-2002, 02:54 PM
umm....I'm almost sure that Disney doesn't release park attendance numbers.

MickeyD
01-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
i remember hearing 9

Million you mean?

Squinky- ever heard of a leak?

Ace
01-07-2002, 03:25 PM
yes.....but disney is better about that than most other companies. anyway, I'm guessing that there wasn't a park in the country that had much less than a 10 per-cent (not the spelling, I know) decrease in attendance.... 'cept maybe Dollywood.

zapppop
01-07-2002, 03:36 PM
Averages:
5 MILLION = 16,200 guests per day
7 MILLION = 22,700 guests per day
9 MILLION = 29,200 guests per day

Now, Didn't TDA say that they expected DCA to receive about 30,000 guests per day back at the beginning of the year ? If so, then they were probably expecting about 9 million.

Morrigoon
01-07-2002, 04:08 PM

Only? That's more than 25% below projection. I call that pretty DARN bad. And that's IF 7 million was their original projection. If it was 9 million, then they were down over 40%.

zapppop
01-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by 2CN

Even with a terrible economy, people are still spending money. Look at the success of Downtown Disney and the Grand Californian Hotel ( not to mention that Disneyland, although not as high as expected, had success too ).

The weather hasn't been that severe. There was light rain in February and back in November but that's about it. Most of the year, it's been sunny and warm as usual.

Euro Disneyland has much more severe weather ( snow and temps below 35* F ) and when it opened 10 years ago, it still managed to pull in over 9 million guests ( although the original projecton was 12 million ).

California Adventure pulling in 5 million is pretty bad. That's 45% lower than expected and of the few who have visited, most of their reviews are not favorable.

Of course, I think we all know that the radical reduction in admission to the park, the ongoing promotions, and importing the MSEP would not be happening if the park was a big hit.

socabch
01-07-2002, 07:26 PM
re: EVERY park (except Sea World San Diego for some reason)

I am surprised at this because SW has been whining all year to the city if they can build a hotel & new attractions on the city leased land so they can attract more crowds because the numbers are down. Our local newspaper (in Pacific Beach) always has articles about SW stating they need more because they are losing guest. In this area we don't trust SW's management more than MP'ers distrusting Eisner.

2CN
01-07-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Averages:
5 MILLION = 16,200 guests per day
7 MILLION = 22,700 guests per day
9 MILLION = 29,200 guests per day

Now, Didn't TDA say that they expected DCA to receive about 30,000 guests per day back at the beginning of the year ? If so, then they were probably expecting about 9 million.

30,000 I believe is the parks capacity.. not the ammount it expected to get a day.

Also, the figures being tossed around- like 5 million in attendance- are only estimates from a trade magazine.. they are not official.

zapppop
01-08-2002, 05:45 AM
Actually, DCA's capacity is 32,000 but before it opened, it was 28,000.

EandCDad
01-08-2002, 08:13 AM
I heard 7 million on numerous websites and in several news articles prior to opening. I never heard the 9 million number. I think 7 million was a little unrealistic to begin with.

I don't think 5 million was bad considering everything. The problem is that its hard to get any sort of gage with that number because so many of the people got in on free or steeply discounted tickets or basically free APs. While it was a standard theme park practice this year to discount, it makes the number a little suspect when you try to use it to project performance in 2002 or 2003.

Its like if you sold 5 million computers but only charged $50 for them. Its kinda hard to say that you are going to sell 5 million again when you raise the price to $1000.

The numbers come from Amusement Business and are estimates that they have been printing for years (I think). I don't think anyone expects that they are 100% exact but they seem to be widely accepted as reasonably accurate.

zapppop
01-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Do you think DCA's attendance for this year will be higher or lower than last year ( or do you think it'll be the same ) ?

Personally, I suspect it might be just a little bit lower or equal.

MickeyD
01-08-2002, 03:55 PM
I think it will be a little bit higher or the same due to the APs who were 1-park AP's last year, but now can go to DCA.