PDA

View Full Version : California Screamin

Pages : [1] 2

splash
03-30-2005, 07:28 AM
What about California Screamin? Is it a rough ride? Does anyone get queasy on it? We've watched it launch at 50 mph and my son wants to ride it this time. I almost rode it a couple of years ago (I did ride the maliboomer- but once was enough). I figure I've got my Dramamine and I'm set. Would someone give me some feedback on CS? Please!

Hakuna Makarla
03-30-2005, 07:30 AM
please, tell me more to! Coaster says I have to do this ride and I am so afraid ! Gosh, I hope I make back to my home town in one piece :) I also think if I am up to it I will do the maliboomer, ( man I am really a brave old fart :)

weluvdisney
03-30-2005, 07:30 AM
This ride is a must. My daughter rode it for the first time at age 7 and last trip she rode it five times in a row-now age 10. CS is very smooth and I enjoy it myself. :)

jrad32
03-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Really smooth ride, which for me makes coasters viable. It does go upside down, and I do sometimes get queasy on cosaters, but Screamin is pretty tame, and a good ride.

If you really want to get sick try Revolution at Knotts and try to keep from getting a concussion as your head smashes into the rock hard over the shoulder restraints.

bradk
03-30-2005, 07:36 AM
i don't think any of the disney coasters are really extreme. they're designed to be enjoyed by all ages (within safety parameters).

Hakuna Makarla
03-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Isn't it funny that when we are kids we can do almost anything? as adults we relize this is really scary and we lose that sence of adventure so often found in kids. I am going to try this, I may be scared to death but I am going to do it so I can say ( when I am old) that I did it at 46 and lived :) and was brave and did not need a depends on heh heh heh!:)

rentayenta
03-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Karla, you have to ride it! It's really fun and really smooth. You are guys are going to have a blast this weekend. :)

stan4d_steph
03-30-2005, 07:41 AM
I've never gotten queasy on it. It's a fun ride, not too bumpy or jerky. One inversion.

Hakuna Makarla
03-30-2005, 07:45 AM
Karla, you have to ride it! It's really fun and really smooth. You are guys are going to have a blast this weekend. :)

Good morning my fine friend! Glad to see you on here, I know that those I meet are wonderful so I know I am in great hands and that they are out to make me feel welcome and see that I have a grand time. I was afraid at first that I may not be as well liked by my mom says " Karla you are kind, you have a great sence of humor, you are strong and you are loving" they will like you no matter what! So I am not so scared now. I look forward to meeting everyone and letting them take me in hand and show me all disneyland .I am so excited I feel like crying! I acually get to go again, with no kids and no fussing. I can do what I want and not have to do anything but have fun, what a life time dream! I am going to ride the big rides, I will not get this chance again so I am going to blow my mind on screaming and laughing!!
Tahnks Jenny for your kind words, I will tell you all about it when I get back :) Love ya!!

kohl
03-30-2005, 08:39 AM
I get quesy on some rides. The only time I felt a little sick was the first time I went on with my son. It was his first time and I was so nervous for him (He was 5) I was watching him the whole time and not watching the track. If you keep your eyes where you are going you will feel fine. The only other time I didn't feel too well after was when my kids wanted to go on 4 times in a row!

bradk
03-30-2005, 08:44 AM
If you keep your eyes where you are going you will feel fine.

aww, that's no fun. roller coasters are always better with your eyes closed. or backwards if you're lucky enough to be able to pull that one off.

sediment
03-30-2005, 08:47 AM
What about California Screamin? Is it a rough ride? Does anyone get queasy on it? We've watched it launch at 50 mph and my son wants to ride it this time. I almost rode it a couple of years ago (I did ride the maliboomer- but once was enough). I figure I've got my Dramamine and I'm set. Would someone give me some feedback on CS? Please!
As far as Roller Coasters go, it is one the tamest ones I've ever been on. Nice and smooth. Shut your eyes when upside-down. You'll never know you're upside-down based on the forces involved.

kbanmen
03-30-2005, 08:52 AM
please, tell me more to! Coaster says I have to do this ride and I am so afraid ! Gosh, I hope I make back to my home town in one piece :) I also think if I am up to it I will do the maliboomer, ( man I am really a brave old fart :)

Karla, it is a very smooth coaster.. the smoothest I have ever been on, I JUST LOVE IT..

mystycalchyk
03-30-2005, 08:53 AM
DO IT DO IT DOOOOOOOOOOOO IT. : :fez:

I love it. I took my 8 year old niece on it and I was sooo afraid she would be freaking out, because she's a timid girl but she luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurved it.

HTHgal12
03-30-2005, 09:09 AM
It is a very smooth ride! It does make me sick like a lot of things do so I am not a good indicator of that. I would go on it if I were you, it is good for a try!

sunfun94
03-30-2005, 09:15 AM
That is a great ride! Very smooth as opposed to many of others like mentioned Revolution from Knott's...The scenery is great too!

mkcbunny
03-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Screamin' is a great coaster. I've been on many different types, and I like it a lot more each time I go. It's smooth and you feel securely fastened in, as with most modern coasters [unlike, say the Matterhorn, which is bumpy, or BTMRR, in which you slide all over the seats]. But unlike many modern coasters, it isn't so fast or nutty that it makes your head hurt [for that, try Dueling Dragons at Islands of Adventure in FL - so fast your brains must be whizzing around inside your head. It literally gives me a headache, although it's loads of fun].

Four Things about Screamin':
1) It's loud. I really think they should turn down the music or at least not have it right in the headrest.
2) Keep your head back against the head rest. Especially at the beginning when you "launch." You don't want your head to be thrown back.
3) At the end, the ride comes to a fairly abrupt halt. So keep your head back all the way until the very end when it fully stops.
4) Relax and have a great ride! Don't forget to scream "woooo hoooo" on the hills. :)

DO IT! It's a blast. great view, too.

HTHgal12
03-30-2005, 09:24 AM
yeah the musics the worst part :(

The old man
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Isn't it funny that when we are kids we can do almost anything? as adults we relize this is really scary and we lose that sence of adventure so often found in kids. I am going to try this, I may be scared to death but I am going to do it so I can say ( when I am old) that I did it at 46 and lived :) and was brave and did not need a depends on heh heh heh!:)
For me it's not fear of the ride--I'm sure it's safe. It the nauseous feeling that I might get.
David

Hawaiian Cinderella
03-30-2005, 09:45 AM
my dh said that it was one of the smoothest coasters he's been on. it doesn't sound rickety...just woosh....one night my dh and dd (6 years old) rode it 10 times in a row and i rode it once with my dd...i was SCARED and never went on again but my dd and dh LOVED IT!!!!....my dh said though, on one of their 10 rides a guy got off and threw up right there :eek:

ZenMickey
03-30-2005, 09:50 AM
If you really want to get sick try Revolution at Knotts and try to keep from getting a concussion as your head smashes into the rock hard over the shoulder restraints.[/QUOTE]

Not to get picky, but Knott's does not have a coaster named Revolution. Do you mean the old (and yes, painful) classic at Magic Mountain?

Screamin' is a very fun, smooth ride. Go and enjoy.

Eighty8Keys
03-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Is there anyone else that has a fear of heights and still rides Screamin'?

I'm not worried about the speed or going upside down, it's just the thought of being so high up in broad daylight that scares me. Space Mountain is one of my favorite rides, but it's so dark in there that I don't have any idea how high up I am. I know while waiting in line for my first ride through TOT, I thought I would pass out from fear. Once I made it through, I discovered that the anticipation was much, much worse than the actual ride. I'm hoping that Screamin' will be the same.

bradk
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
i suffer from mild acrophobia/vertigo (i'm afraid to get on a stepladder - altho i'll do it if need be) and i have no problem with any ride i've ever been on. and i haven't said no to any either. (and that includes rides much worse than the disney ones).

for me, it's a matter of conquering the irrational fear with the reasoning that i'm protected by whatever restraints, so the odds of me plunging to my death are the same as for anyone else and that's minute at best.

although on the other hand, i still fear for my life when sitting in the balcony of a theatre (not even the first row) even though i have yet to witness anyone else falling.

mystycalchyk
03-30-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm the same way. I can barely get on a chair without freaking out. I get all dizzy (vertigo). But for some reason in a roller coaster I dont feel that. I think it's because it goes so fast you dont really have time to register, plus I feel totally secured in the harness so I dont feel I can wobble out of balance and fall.

I wont do the Maliboomer because of the height thing. I think because the primary focus of that attraction is simply 'looky how high I am', where on Screamin the primary focus is 'wheeeeeeeeeee, I'm zipping along laughing my butt off' the fact that it it high is kind of secondary, if not tertiary. ToT is easier for me, even though it's also essenially just a 'high' ride, but its indoors, and somehow that makes it more bearable, although I still get way nervous.

Eighty8Keys
03-30-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks bradk and mystycalchyk - your comments are most helpful.

I plan to give Screamin a try during our next trip in October. I'm thinking it will be easier if I choose a time when DCA is open later and I can ride when it's dark out. If I remove my glasses before the ride, it will all be a blur anyway. I know once I make it through once, I'll most likely love the ride. It's just that first time that's the worst.

Last December I made it through Tarzan's Treehouse for the first time in my life. Of course, I probably broke some kind of speed record for the fastest time through the tree and didn't see much along the way except the stair directly in front of me.