PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana or Ho Jo's?

Pages : [1] 2

atalmi
03-29-2005, 05:30 PM
The reviews for both places look good. I'm looking for something close enough so we can bring the kids back for a quick nap before hitting the park for the evening fetivities. Any pros and cons for each? Tropican is slightly cheaper per night. I would have prefered CandyCane Inn, but I waited to long to reserve a room :-(

bradk
03-29-2005, 05:39 PM
i would say tropicana if only for its proximity to the gates.

Deogge's Mom
03-29-2005, 07:13 PM
I've never stayed at any of the hotels around the park, but HoJo's seems to be a favorite of many padders.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-29-2005, 07:33 PM
We really like HoJos. I have never styed at Tropicana though.

Wendi
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I've heard nice things about Tropicana since they've remodeled. I think I'd prefer to stay there if you want to grab naps... much easier to take a break when you don't have much of a walk ahead of you.

Niwel
03-29-2005, 09:13 PM
I love HoJos! I recommend room 2119. Bring peeps. :)
Anyone want to tell them how long a walk it is to the main gate? ;)

bradk
03-29-2005, 09:17 PM
quite a bit more than the tropicana. especially for tired and potentially cranky kids.

i would pick tropicana over hojos anyday if not for the fact that tropicana is usually quite a bit more expensive.

mkcbunny
03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
So, how long is the walk from the HoJos? I read 7 minutes, but is that a stretch? It's just me and my husband, so there are no cranky kids or lugging stuff involved. Just two adults. I've stayed at a few other places, but the HoJos gets such good reviews, I figured we'd try that [plus we got a great rate].

Thanks

bradk
03-30-2005, 01:37 AM
i believe it's about 3/4 of a mile so i think 15 mins (maybe 10) is more of a fair number (depending on how fast you walk). the general consensus has been that it's no big deal when going to the park, but after being on your feet all day, it appears to be quite the hike back.

sdfilmcritic
03-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Does HoJos stand for Howard Johnsons?

bradk
03-30-2005, 01:40 AM
indeed.

sdfilmcritic
03-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Thank you.

oregontraveler
03-30-2005, 04:35 AM
I stayed at a hotel that was also about a 15 minute walk to the gates. Let me tell you, that after a long day in the park, it's no fun to have to walk back all that way. :(

Villains Fan
03-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Does HoJos have a shuttle to and from the park entrance? If so, that might make up for the distance.

bradk
03-30-2005, 07:37 AM
there is a shuttle for a nominal fee (i believe $2 each way?). they don't offer one for free because of the proximity. there's also the ART.

the problem is, if i'm not mistaken, by the time you get to the shuttle area, it's so much closer, you might as well walk the rest of the way.

stan4d_steph
03-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Does HoJos have a shuttle to and from the park entrance? If so, that might make up for the distance.The Anaheim shuttle (ART) stops at HoJos.

DisneylandForever
03-30-2005, 07:48 AM
i believe it's about 3/4 of a mile so i think 15 mins (maybe 10) is more of a fair number (depending on how fast you walk). the general consensus has been that it's no big deal when going to the park, but after being on your feet all day, it appears to be quite the hike back.

LOL!

HoJo is not "quite a hike." True it is farther than the Tropicana, but only about a block (distance-wise think from the Emporium on Main St to about the statue at the hub). It is well worth the walk. I admit I haven't stayed at the Tropicana since the re-model, but when I did I hated it. The HoJo is superior on every level. I highly recommend it.

And yep, HoJo does have a shuttle, just in case you don't wanna walk. But the walk is not that bad.

bradk
03-30-2005, 08:12 AM
i'm just trying to make the point that at the end of the day, when you've been on your feet all day, the walk seems much more than it is. if price is a factor, i think hojo is completely doable by walk, but if it's not a factor, tropicana might be a better choice. especially if you plan on crashing at some point mid-day.

Terri
03-30-2005, 08:16 AM
I stayed at HoJo's last March with my DS who was 10 at the time. No...it wasn't a major hike. We didn't have any problems whatsoever with the distance! Truly it was no big deal. It was nice to be going away from the crowds that were headed in the Tropocana area...
The best part, though, was the hottub is quite large and had foot jets! Very nice for after the park...
The restaurant next door to HoJo's (Mimi's) has a great spinach salad too! :p

Darkbeer
03-30-2005, 08:21 AM
The walk is about the same distance for the following three hotels from the Main Entry Plaza... HoJo's, Candy Cane Inn and Paradise Pier.

Both HoJo's and CCI offer shuttle service, but many people walk. Disney doesn't offer shuttle service to the PPH, and doesn't allow ART to set up a route to their properties....

DisneylandForever
03-30-2005, 08:22 AM
i'm just trying to make the point that at the end of the day, when you've been on your feet all day, the walk seems much more than it is. if price is a factor, i think hojo is completely doable by walk, but if it's not a factor, tropicana might be a better choice. especially if you plan on crashing at some point mid-day.

Yeah, but the OP said the Tropicana was only slightly cheaper. So in this case price doesn't seem to be the issue. The Hojo is not that much farther, trust me. It's worth the extra block. And because the OP has kids, they may enjoy HoJo's pools more than the one at the Tropicana.

IMO, the HoJo beats the Tropicana in everything, except for distance. But they more than make up for it with everything else.

bradk
03-30-2005, 08:26 AM
that i'd totally agree with, which is why the only reason i gave for tropicana in my initial response is for its proximity (and it's reportedly NOT a bad place, otherwise i would have just advised against it).

and in an effort to redeem myself to the hojo fans, here's a friendly reminder that there's an easy way to save 15% off the lowest available public rate at hojo: http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers

DisneylandForever
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
that i'd totally agree with, which is why the only reason i gave for tropicana in my initial response is for its proximity (and it's reportedly NOT a bad place, otherwise i would have just advised against it).

Fair enough. I just wanted to illustrate, having stayed at both places, that the distance is a non-factor in this particular instance. Especially when it's the HoJo's lone con.

rentayenta
03-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Fair enough. I just wanted to illustrate, having stayed at both places, that the distance is a non-factor in this particular instance. Especially when it's the HoJo's lone con.

Yes, but does the HoJo offer the fence jumping option? ;)

Leash81
03-30-2005, 09:53 AM
I have stayed at both hotels and for some reason the HoJo just seems so far away at the end of the night. I never spend much time at the hotel so all the ammenties are lost on me but I found both hotels to be very nice. If it were me I would stay at Tropicana due to distance and lower price but if you plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel I believe HoJo has more to offer as far as ammenities.