PDA

View Full Version : Am I going to hate TOT?

Pages : [1] 2

The old man
03-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Next month my wife, 7 year old daughter and me are going to DLR. Our daughter is a thrill seeker and loves all "scary" rides. I am 52 and find that I don't have much tolerance anymore for coasters due to an ear problem. I get that dizzy feeling. I still go on Big Thunder and the Matterhorn because I love their theming. TOT should not cause dizziness because its motion is pretty much straight up and down. BUT I'm still a little terrified of going on it. Can others in my demographic comment on their experience with this ride?

Also she, of course, wants to go on the Screamer. I assuming, with my ear condition, that this out of the question for me.

David

sediment
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't go on it. You want someone to tell you that, so I am. It's not a big deal not to ride it. Plenty of benches outside the ride for grandfathers to wait for their charges.
(What, did I say something?)

bradk
03-29-2005, 10:33 AM
why don't you add Yes, No and Possibly answers to your FAQ?

SeansMom
03-29-2005, 10:34 AM
I had an ear infection last time we were at DL/DCA. I passed on screamin', star tours, and would not have gone on space mountain, had it actually been open. Splash, BTMR, Soarin' and the rest were okay. I've not been on TOT, so can't comment there. But there are other things to do so if they want to go and you don't, get a treat and enjoy it while you people watch. Or go on another ride.

sediment
03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
why don't you add Yes, No and Possibly answers to your FAQ?
I'd only need three answers to all questions, then. I want it to be somewhat informative.

pisces
03-29-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't want to give too much away. Do we label "spoilers" here, so as not to give away the element of surprise????

ASIDE: I was always grateful that I didn't read TOT threads too carefully before I rode the ride.......and so the first time I rode it.....oh I was definitely surprised.

So, in trying not to ruin it for you, all I'll say is that....it is incredibly short. Perhaps the shortest ride in the whole Resort.

And, it doesn't go upside-down, if that's any consolation, which it was for me.

It's always nice to expand your comfort zone, and try new things, that you didn't think you could do. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again.

If you appreciate great theme-ing......then TOT is probably one of the best for that.

You might be able to experience some of the theme, entryway, and giftshop portions of the ride, without actually going on the ride???? But, even with that, you'll miss a lot of the key theme elements of the attraction by not going on the ride portion.

TOT is all about theme.

I cannot even imagine what DCA was like without TOT, that's their signature attraction.....not to take anything away from GRR, though.

Going upside down is my limit. I won't go upside down. Anything else is fair game for me.

So, I don't know if I answered your questions about TOT or not, other than it is very short, and very theme-intensive.....from beginning to end.

I have wonderful memories from TOT. I saw all types of people on that ride. From senior citizens who looked to be in their 80s.....to the smallest toddlers whom I'd not seen get by on other thrill rides.

Loved everything about TOT. But I always had a fastpass the two or three times I rode. There was always a long line for that one....even in heavy rain. Nobody goes on that without a fastpass.

There's a reason why it's so popular.

CoasterChickie
03-29-2005, 10:44 AM
I was terrified of going on TOT the first time. I had a moment of "get me out of here" right when the doors closed so I had to just tell myself to breathe and relax. After that , I LOVED it. I was laughing and screaming the whole time.

I'm a few years younger than you, but I'm not sure that age has anything to do with loving this one since I know many people who are older than I am who have gone on it and loved it too.

It's very smooth!! :)

Calfornia Screamin is also very smooth but it's also fast and has some big drops and twists. I love it but I know it's hard for a lot of people to handle those motions.

bradk
03-29-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd only need three answers to all questions, then. I want it to be somewhat informative.

Probably.

see how easy that is?

Mukta
03-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Next month my wife, 7 year old daughter and me are going to DLR. Our daughter is a thrill seeker and loves all "scary" rides. I am 52 and find that I don't have much tolerance anymore for coasters due to an ear problem. I get that dizzy feeling. I still go on Big Thunder and the Matterhorn because I love their theming. TOT should not cause dizziness because its motion is pretty much straight up and down. BUT I'm still a little terrified of going on it. Can others in my demographic comment on their experience with this ride?

Also she, of course, wants to go on the Screamer. I assuming, with my ear condition, that this out of the question for me.

David

I get that nauseous dizzy feeling on some things. I find that I get a little nauseous on Big Thunder, but nothing serious. My stomach definitely goes into my mouth a little on TOT, but it is tolerable. I have never been sick afterwards. The roller coaster is too much for me. I have been on it 5 times or so and it definitely makes me nauseous. I do not feel well for a while after riding it.

Gramiangel420
03-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I am a 54 year old grandma, so I am close to your age. I just got back from DLR and CA.
I pondered the TOT question a lot before I went and when I was in line. I decided you should try it at least once. It is short and if you do not care for it you do not ever have to go on it again. It is an up and down ride. I rode it twice. Both times without fast passes. The line went quicker than I thought and wasn't very long. I was there the week before Easter, so the parks were pretty crowded. I guess I was just lucky to go when I did. My daughters, ages 27 and 31 each went with me once. The oldest thinks that was enough.
I would go on it again.
So do try it. I love California Screaming and this is so different.
It isn't jerky, it is kind of smooth.
I think has lovely theming going on too.
Let us know what you decide after you have been there.
:p

kohl
03-29-2005, 11:40 AM
My dad went on it last year (he was 56) because his grandkids wanted him to. I thought I explained the ride to him enough, but after the ride he said it was the scariest thing he has ever been on. He doesn't even like Splash Mountain! Only went on that once, and he said never again. Now my mom doesn't really like any of the rides, but I can't even count how many times she has been on it because my kids beg her to go on them. They really aren't that scary. I think you should try it once, then decide if you will go on it again.

TikiGeek
03-29-2005, 11:45 AM
I was terrified of going on TOT the first time. I had a moment of "get me out of here" right when the doors closed so I had to just tell myself to breathe and relax. After that , I LOVED it. I was laughing and screaming the whole time. I'll second that! The worst part of ToT resides in one's mind - the ride is great. :)

LibertyCall
03-29-2005, 11:52 AM
I want to go on it, but I don't think I ever will. I don't like the big drops on roller coasters...AT ALL. I don't even like the big drop in Splash Mtn. Hate it.

My dh begged me for three days to go on Screamin last year. He told me it wasn't that bad. I finally went on it and hated every last second. I was terrified the entire time, and not in a good way. It wasn't one of those, "Oh, it was scary but I'm glad I went on it" deals. I'm sorry I ever set foot in the line. I will never, ever forgive him for that, the jerk!

I would love to see the themed parts of ToT but I just don't think it's worth suffering of the drop. :eek:

daannzzz
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
I get motion sickness fairly easy and I ride ToT every trip. I can sometimes get a little queesy though. My Mm and Pop who are in their early 70's have ridden the ToT at WDW a few times. The both like it and have no problems from riding it. I also say, give it a try. It doesn't last real long so if you do start to get dizzy it will be over really quickly.

Tigertail777
03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
If its anything like Florida's, they will let you go through the que line portion of the ride which is a LOT of the theming and story, and let you exit just before the actual elevator portion. Just tell a CM in advance of what you plan to do they are very accomidating. This way you can experience at least part of the ride with your family, and not have to go through the part that may cause you problems.

pisces
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Liberty: You are right. If that's what your instincts are telling you, then you know yourself better than anyone else does.

It's all about attitude. And, when it comes to experiencing new things, and taking risks........you need to have the attitude and have had positive experiences previously, with taking risks.

Liberty, you have not had previous positive experiences......so honor that....and don't let anyone manipulate you, ever again, into doing something you've already written off----which is fine.

I've had good experiences when I've taken risks. But, nobody has manipulated me, or tricked me into doing something that I had never done.

I truly believe that TOT is a spectacular attraction, which is saying a lot, since I'm not wild about DCA as a whole. It's probably my favorite ride in the whole DCA......although I am a water buff, and GRR is my thing.

I don't think Screamin is a fair comparison to TOT, though. Those two are completely different rides, not even the least bit similar. The Mali-Boomer is more comparable to TOT. Mali-Boomer with major theme-ing.

LIBERTY: Go with your instincts and don't let anyone coerce you. I hate coercion and manipulation. You never get over that type of thing. It leaves scars and trauma.

The old man
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Thank you all who took the time to respond. I, like many, like Splash Mountain, so that type of drop is not a problem. It's really swirling around rides (ie CS, though I've never been on it) that cause me to get dizzy. But I also never went for any parachute rides like at Knott's or (for Chicagoans) Riverview. But due to the theming (I am/was a big TZ fan) and the fact that I want to experience it with my child the first time, I'm going for it! I'm going either April 15/16 or 22/23. I will post my results.
David

TOTFan
03-29-2005, 04:33 PM
My grandpa who is 84 went on it, He loved it. He also had a cold at the time.

TrekkieDad
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm in your "demographic" (age=55), but I don't have ear problems and am not prone to motion sickness. Before coasters got really huge, I used to ride them all, including those with inverted loops.

That being said, I don't like steep drops. Splash is just barely tolerable, but I found it less frightening at night. Screamin gets over that first hill quickly. Mailboomer, forget it. I'll make an exception for TOT, though. I rode the WDW version a couple of times, and just last February, I finally got up the courage to ride DCA's version. It was more entertaining than frightening.

You might like it, but don't rely solely on my word. I've been known to ride downhill on a bicycle at speeds in excess of 50 mph.

kbanmen
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
well said trekkie dad, it is an awesome ride.. I LOVE IT

Lekta
03-29-2005, 07:04 PM
"Mailboomer, forget it."

Maliboomer is tame in comparision, it is just intimidating because you can see the whole process. The MB only forces you quickly up, then fairly gently lowers you, whereas with ToT it forces you down, several times.

I was intimidated by the sight of Maliboomer, then went on it and discovered that it was cake.

I can honestly say that the most frightening ride in the whole park for me would surely be the Sunwheel. Even in the non-moving pods, that kind of height for that amount of time is not pleasant to me. Forget about the moving ones, my wife and I sat as still as statues hoping against hope that it wouldn't move, as we had mistakenly gotten into a mover. Won't.happen.again!

BTW- ToT is a fantastic ride (albeit short) and you'll love every second of it (again very few of those as well)! Let us know how you did?

I Heart Disneyland!
03-29-2005, 09:19 PM
SO....now that I've read all of your answers, does anyone think it's claustrophobic in there? That is my problem, in fact, I can't ride Star Tours anymore because of it. Thanks!

millionairegirl
03-29-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think TOT is very claustrophobic since the roof, while covered by a grate, is open. So you don't get that 'closed in' feel.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
I don't think TOT is very claustrophobic since the roof, while covered by a grate, is open. So you don't get that 'closed in' feel.

Okay, so, how large is the room you are in when you are falling?? (Thank you!)

srfantasmic
03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Old Man,

You sound a lot like me. I'm pretty scared when it comes to rides. I have to admit that TOT was a gut-wrenching experience for me....but I LOVED it! I don't ride roller-coasters and hate drops. But TOT wasn't so bad. I think it's because it's all in the dark you can't really tell how high you are or how fast you're dropping. Here's a question for you:

Do you enjoy Splash Mountain?? If you don't have a good experience on Splash then you probably won't like TOT. If you enjoy Splash (even a little), then give TOT a try. It's one of my favorite rides at DLR now.