PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair abuse

disneyland dave
01-06-2002, 06:06 PM
On the last couple of visits to DL I've noticed a number of people using wheelchairs when not necessary. I've noticed one person in the chair and 30 minutes later the pusher was sitting down. It's a way to get around long lines. A disabled person along with the rest of there group can go though the exit and be seated on a ride without wait. On crowded days with strollers and wheelchairs it makes getting around very difficult. I'm appalled that people would use a fake disability to get around lines and there own lazyness.

EandCDad
01-06-2002, 06:14 PM
This discussion was covered in this thread and it became quite interesting and entertaining. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1559&highlight=excess)

Just want everyone to know that this thread will have a long way to go to top what I would consider one of the all time "classic" MP threads. That one was really a landmark on the boards.

mad4mky
01-06-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
This discussion was covered in this thread and it became quite interesting and entertaining. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1559&highlight=excess)

Just want everyone to know that this thread will have a long way to go to top what I would consider one of the all time "classic" MP threads. That one was really a landmark on the boards.

I agree EandCDad...
When I read this thread topic, I thought "Oh no...not again!" But, it goes to show that this wheelchair swapping is just as rappant as ever.:(

MammaSilva
01-06-2002, 06:47 PM
Wow, that thread happened while we were at the park last august, and there are so many valid points....I even asked at City Hall if they could just mark Brandys AP with a disabled icon to save them and me the hassle of going in every day for a SAP (for those of you who aren't AP holders, they will give you the SAP for the length of your flex pass, for AP holders you have to go in every single day and get a new one :( and heaven help you if it gets lost!

One post in the old thread had me puzzled tho.. it was about a family with a little boy who pitched a fit and refused to ride, the parents 'left' the child with the CM? since when is that an option? the pass is specific and "if" the passholder doesn't ride NO one is supposed to be riding on that pass, and secondly since when do CM's "babysit"? heck they won't even keep a service animal....why would they watch a misbehaving child?

TakeMe2Disneyland
01-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Having posted quite a bit to that thread (too much, maybe?!!), I have mixed feelings about it popping up again.

On the one hand, there were comments made on both sides that added to my understanding. On the other hand, I didn't really enjoy revisiting the emotions I felt when I was actively posting to the thread.

Darkbeer
01-06-2002, 07:42 PM
A couple of points for those who decided not to read the original thread.... and a new one....

First, those who abuse the system upset me, and should be asked to leave the park without a hand stamp.

Some visitors who need a SAP or wheelchair do not carry any "visible" signs that they need any special assistance.

In December, I went with my goddaughters family to DL (her sister was a member of the community school program, and their school's marching band was part of the parade that day.) In the evening, before the Believe fireworks, we decided to go to "iaswh" (It's a Small World Holiday), my godaughter's mom was recovering from surgery, and had a wheelchair, and her other daughter had a bad ankle. After using the special "access" line, and

Darkbeer
01-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Oops, a "Microsoft" hiccup lost my keyboard...

Anyways, after waiting about the same time as other guests (no biggie, we had a large group...) Nine people, including the two wheelchair users. We told the loader we had nine (found out later that she was a new employee), alas, she gave us the last two rows of one boat, and by the time we loaded everyone and placed the wheelchairs in the "holding area", realized that there was only room for eight. The "Lead" wanted everyone from our group to "EXIT" the boat, and would give us three rows on another boat. Alas, it is not easy or convenient to just have the two "SAP" guests to get out of the boat. I quickly offered to ride in the next boat (by myself) so that the rest of the group did not have to disembark (I was one of the two who moved the chairs to the holding area...). I thought I was asking the Lead for the biggest favor in the world, I had to actually ARGUE with her to let the rest of the group go ahead without me. This while everyone was watching because the boat was held up at the dock.

Ace
01-06-2002, 07:58 PM
my friend was in a wheelchair once (he had a broken leg) and they messed up on the mansion thing and thought my other friend was the SAP so they stopped the ride for us and sent us up un the elevator and he had to hobble up the walkway and out the crypt.

mousey_girl
01-06-2002, 08:01 PM
I came very close to using a wheel chair last year. My feet tend to blister, no matter what I do. I could barely walk. The only thing that stopped me was knowing that we were headed home that day and that I didn't want to use a chair needed by someone else. I do have a question though...Even if you do need to rent a wheel chair, do you still have to get a SAP? I mean, even if you get a wheel chair, but can manage the regular lines, can you still use the chair?

MammaSilva
01-06-2002, 08:14 PM
on the wheelchair thing....some of the new ques accomodate wheelchairs, so if you are non amblatory and need to use the chair for what ever reason...then you are supposed to wait in line with everyone else but not many of the ques at Disneyland can accomodate the wheelchairs, that is why they get the "exit" entrance, since the exits tend to be straight shots out/off the attractions....you can use the handicapped entrace to the rides in a wheelchair or if you are Issued a SAP from City Hall, but you don't HAVE to use the handicap entrance, if you have several members of your party that can go thru the regular que then you and one person to assist you can wait until the rest of your group reaches the loading area where they will inform the CM that you are waiting to ride as well.....in all honesty not too many people using wheelchairs actually use this method tho....Brandy is amblatory but needs her wheelchair because she has a severe seizure disorder, and we never know when or what will trigger a seizure so we just keep it with us at all times, she has other 'non visable' conditions that make waiting in long ques a hardship and health 'risk' as it were so we do use her SAP and if we walk into a ride such as PoC or Space and the wheelchair line is LONG we just turn around and go ride something else.....but the Disneyland SAP program is the best in the theme park industry for allowing those of us with special needs family members to enjoy the parks.....so yes it gets abused, and yes it infuriates me to see it happening because the abuse makes some of CM's look at everyone with the SAP with a hint of contempt but if they ever discontinue it or change it to be like the system Six Flag parks use then as heartbreaking as it would be that would be the end of trips to Disneyland for us :(

dsnyredhead
01-06-2002, 08:56 PM
I made a mention on this topic during the last thread related to it that you can't simply say "oh the person is up out of their chair, they must be faking it". Both myself and another friend have conditions which don't always act up on a daily basis. Some days we are fine, some days we aren't. Some days I use a wheelchair for part of the day while the other part I am fine. It all depends on the individual condition and how it affects the person.

I don't have a problem waiting in line with my party. It's just that I can't stand in a line for any long length of time.

mad4mky
01-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Oops, a "Microsoft" hiccup lost my keyboard...

Anyways, after waiting about the same time as other guests (no biggie, we had a large group...) Nine people, including the two wheelchair users. We told the loader we had nine (found out later that she was a new employee), alas, she gave us the last two rows of one boat, and by the time we loaded everyone and placed the wheelchairs in the "holding area", realized that there was only room for eight. The "Lead" wanted everyone from our group to "EXIT" the boat, and would give us three rows on another boat. Alas, it is not easy or convenient to just have the two "SAP" guests to get out of the boat. I quickly offered to ride in the next boat (by myself) so that the rest of the group did not have to disembark (I was one of the two who moved the chairs to the holding area...). I thought I was asking the Lead for the biggest favor in the world, I had to actually ARGUE with her to let the rest of the group go ahead without me. This while everyone was watching because the boat was held up at the dock.

Now this is what is frustrating...when you get an SAP from City Hall, which our family does use, because we do have a daughter with obvious disabilities....you can only get it for up to six people. If we are a family of 5, so there is no problem. If friends do come with us, they have to wait in line. So...in actuality, the CM was being kind to let nine of you on at once anyways. Six is supposed to be the max.

thamnarestan
01-07-2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by mad4mky

Now this is what is frustrating...when you get an SAP from City Hall, which our family does use, because we do have a daughter with obvious disabilities....you can only get it for up to six people. If we are a family of 5, so there is no problem. If friends do come with us, they have to wait in line. So...in actuality, the CM was being kind to let nine of you on at once anyways. Six is supposed to be the max.

Actually, I think Darkbeer said there were two wheelchair guests in his party, which means the maximum number of backdoor guests would be 12.

mad4mky
01-07-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

Actually, I think Darkbeer said there were two wheelchair guests in his party, which means the maximum number of backdoor guests would be 12.

You are right...my mistake.
When we were last down at DLR...there was a family of 9 behind us to get onto POC, with one wheelchair. The CM didn't bat an eye...and let them on. Now it sounds like I am getting picky...actually I am not. It didn't ruffle my feathers that the CM let a large party on...
I was just trying to state that City Hall gives you a limit of 6.

adriennek
01-07-2002, 07:15 PM
I've noticed that on some of the higher capacity rides such as Pirates, they're a little more flexible about the "max" number than others. Personally, on a ride like Pirates, as a person standing in the regular line, I don't mind CM's allowing a few over the 6 max, especially if the line is relatively short. On Casey Jr (which is a very slow moving line,) or on a crowded day if the group was more than 10 people, it would annoy me ;)

Adrienne K

Ace
01-07-2002, 07:58 PM
I guess, since no note is needed (by law) that the SAP situation will not change in the near future....